Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2034346 - 02/16/13 04:41 PM William Kapell
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Another thread mentioned this pianist and I listened to some of his recordings and some documentaries about his life. I knew he was considered very great and had heard some of his playing previously.

But I was astonished at some of the quotes from some famous musicians expressing how great they thought he was. Unfortunately I can't find the video with these quotes but one famous pianist(Fleisher?)said something like "Unquestionably the greatest pianist America has ever produced". There were many other quotes from people like Leonard Bernstein and Jerome Lownenthal where the level of praise was astonishing, almost as if they had never heard Kapell's equal.

So my question to those of you who know Kapell better than me is... can you describe what qualities Kapell had that seemed to draw praise on such an astonishing level? One that seems to appear was level of intensity that was astonishing for even great pianists.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/16/13 04:48 PM)

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2034353 - 02/16/13 05:00 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
I wouldn't say I know him better. I have an impressive selection of his playing on volume 52 of the Phillip's "Great Pianist" series. It stands out that he doesn't seem to stumble, hiccup, or have any rhythmic irregularity that might indicate he reached any technical limit. If I were Graffman, I wouldn't mind swapping techniques with Kapell. If he had recorded more Liszt, he'd be in regular rotation on my ipod. smile

#2034433 - 02/16/13 07:07 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Salt Lake City

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/

#2034488 - 02/16/13 09:22 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
UberB Offline

Listen to his Chopin B minor sonata.

#2034514 - 02/16/13 10:32 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: Damon]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon
If he had recorded more Liszt, he'd be in regular rotation on my ipod. smile

I assume you've already heard his Mephisto, both live and recorded versions of the 11th rhapsody, 6th rhapsody, and Petrarch 104. A pity he didn't get a chance to play the Sonata.

#2034540 - 02/17/13 12:33 AM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
Mark_C Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
A combination of seemingly limitness mechanism (which many people call "technique") and great drive with complete control and judicious employment, never for its own sake; great range of dynamic and types of touch, with the ability to switch instantly or modulate at any pace between and among them; a poetic and soulful nature seemingly at all times, even during pyrotechnics, and with a great yearning expressiveness in lyrical passages but always "sincere," without exaggeration or excessive indulgence; and all with flawless and inarguable musicianship and with no touch of eccentricity whatsoever. Some of this may sound similar to Horowitz but I think some of the differences jump out as well. While I don't think he had quite the range of dynamics, touch, and color of Horowitz, neither did he have the eccentricity and the questionable aspects of musicianship, and for both better and perhaps worse he didn't have the exaggeration. I don't think he was 'as unique' as Horowitz, but all things considered he may have been equally great or greater.

Koji: How'd I do? smile

#2034578 - 02/17/13 03:24 AM Re: William Kapell [Re: Thracozaag]
Damon Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Thracozaag
Originally Posted By: Damon
If he had recorded more Liszt, he'd be in regular rotation on my ipod. smile

I assume you've already heard his Mephisto, both live and recorded versions of the 11th rhapsody, 6th rhapsody, and Petrarch 104. A pity he didn't get a chance to play the Sonata.

I haven't heard the live version of the 11th rhapsody, but all else yes. I'll see if that is on youtube.

#2034715 - 02/17/13 11:37 AM Re: William Kapell [Re: Mark_C]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
A combination of seemingly limitness mechanism (which many people call "technique") and great drive with complete control and judicious employment, never for its own sake; great range of dynamic and types of touch, with the ability to switch instantly or modulate at any pace between and among them; a poetic and soulful nature seemingly at all times, even during pyrotechnics, and with a great yearning expressiveness in lyrical passages but always "sincere," without exaggeration or excessive indulgence; and all with flawless and inarguable musicianship and with no touch of eccentricity whatsoever. Some of this may sound similar to Horowitz but I think some of the differences jump out as well. While I don't think he had quite the range of dynamics, touch, and color of Horowitz, neither did he have the eccentricity and the questionable aspects of musicianship, and for both better and perhaps worse he didn't have the exaggeration. I don't think he was 'as unique' as Horowitz, but all things considered he may have been equally great or greater.

Koji: How'd I do? smile

Quite well! thumb

#2034740 - 02/17/13 12:30 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: Thracozaag]
Keith D Kerman Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Gaithersburg, MD (Washington D...

I cannot imagine Kapell's art being described more perfectly, or by someone more credible. Thanks for the link, I was not aware of that.
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Charles R. Walter, Brodmann, Feurich
www.pianocraft.net
http://www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel/videos

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460

#2035009 - 02/17/13 09:49 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
antony Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
Reading that piece by Copland I have two questions: what was the work intended for Kappel, and more importantly, do you think that the perception of a stellar live performance has to do with, in part, the level of communion between the audience and the performer

#2035044 - 02/17/13 11:27 PM Re: William Kapell [Re: pianoloverus]
Thracozaag Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It was the Piano Fantasy, premiered by William Masselos in 1957. Kapell was a fierce exponent not only of Copland's music, but also Ruggels, Rorem and other up and coming American composers, which he was in the process of commissioning works from before his early death.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (Atrys, antony, accordeur, Arizona Sage, Almaviva, 33 invisible), 1433 Guests and 43 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153513 Topics
2249589 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Insanity
by Polyphonist
Yesterday at 11:55 PM
Yamaha P140 sluggish keys : how to fix?
by Bambell
Yesterday at 11:52 PM
Cristina Perri - HUMAN piano cover
by SAO
Yesterday at 11:12 PM
Valentina Lisitsa plays Michael Nyman!!
by ShiroKuro
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Chopin Op28 No 20
by Arizona Sage
Yesterday at 10:12 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission