2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 13 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I recently played a collection of variations on "Happy Birthday" by Denes Agay. One of the variations was in the style of Frederic Chopin. I want to know what piece or pieces of Chopin music this variation was modeled after. It does not seem to fit any Chopin music with which I am familiar. The variation is in 9/8 time, in a minor key, and marked "Andante con moto". The main left hand technique is a series of 9 eighth notes each measure, with the first eighth note the root of a chord, and the remaining 8 eighth notes the other notes of the chord. The right hand technique is maintaining a single melody line, and a short cadenza. Any ideas what pieces of Chopin music might fit this description?

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I think he intended to mimic a Nocturne.

Fazioli 228.
G
glentek Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Numerian
I think he intended to mimic a Nocturne.

Do you have a particular one in mind? I don't think any of them are written in 9/8.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
None particular come to mind. I think it is a loose representation of Chopin's dream-like music. Part of the problem is that the theme of Happy Birthday is difficult to adapt into such music.

Schumann did a much better job of creating a Chopin Nocturne in Carnaval, but then he was able to create an original theme.

I have a lot of fun with Denes Agay's variations at music parties. I ask the guests to write down their guesses of the composer being mimicked. If you give them a clue that the variations are arranged in chronological order, it helps a lot.

Last edited by Numerian; 02/19/13 09:39 PM.

Fazioli 228.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Numerian

Schumann did a much better job of creating a Chopin Nocturne in Carnaval...

Really? I always thought that the 'Chopin' in Carnival was just another of the inside jokes -of which the piece is packed with- which of course makes Carnival such an incredibly fascinating work.

Look at 'Paganini': the last three measures contain a unique pianistic effect which couldn't possibly be replicated on a violin.

Otherwise, 'Chopin' has never sounded like any nocturne I've ever heard, especially given the Agitato marking and the appearance on the printed page. Clearly something else was going on here, and if anyone has more information, do tell!

Jason
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I said Schumann did a much better job than Denes Agay at writing a Chopin Nocturne, though that's being a bit unfair to Denes Agay, who had a harder task. But you aren't wrong: Schumann's Chopiniana doesn't really sound like any Chopin Nocturne, and maybe it was just all intended as a joke.

Schumann was an extremely good mimic when he wanted to be. His homage to Mendelssohn after his death sounds so much like a Song Without Words that I have inserted it into recitals when I am playing some of the SWWs, and no one is the wiser.

Fazioli 228.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission