Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2034380 - 02/16/13 05:38 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
...The standard range of the flute is three full octaves, starting on C4 (middle C) up to C7. Advanced flutists generally play up to F7. A piccolo is voiced one octave higher, an alto flute is a fourth lower, and a bass flute is one octave below the concert flute. Additionally, there are many custom "odd-balls" floating around....

Thank you, Marty.

I've learnt a lot about the flute today. From the chapter on flutes in my book on musical instruments at breakfast and now in time for supper from your posts.

As for playing wind instruments in symphonies, piano concertos and chamber music I am musing about the skills of flutists and trumpeters. Do flutists regard pianists as an intransigent bunch of Johnnies Come Lately?

Edited by Withindale (02/16/13 05:47 PM)
Edit Reason: Other posts

(ad PTG 568) Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
Grand Action Regulation in 37 Steps
#2034397 - 02/16/13 06:00 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: Withindale]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN

Originally Posted By: Withindale
Do flutists regard pianists as an intransigent bunch of Johnnies Come Lately?

Jeez, I hope not. I'm a pianist, too!

(Though, the tale of Pan and Syrinx comes to mind and there is always the early satyrclavier.)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2034403 - 02/16/13 06:06 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: Minnesota Marty]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
Only if one believes that ET is as close to pitch as possible. In fact, it cannot be as it is an adaptation and compromise made based on just intonation and harmony.

Sorry, the laws of acoustical physics predate any keyboard instrument.

I think you were responding to me. What I meant about the tolerances is that no instrument plays any specific pitch exactly. There are minute variations in pitch, and those variations in a piano are smaller than in most other instruments. It has nothing to do with temperament.

Some of those variations are deliberate. That is what vibrato is. The mechanics that allow one to play vibrato prevent one from playing exactly at any one pitch.

#2034422 - 02/16/13 06:48 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Herr Weiss Offline

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Question: If instead of tuning A4=440, I tune it to 435; does the beat rates change
or do they remain the same as if it was 440?
Like F3 to A3, approximate 7 bps wide, 435 becomes less or more.
Thank you all.

Herr Weiss

#2034424 - 02/16/13 06:51 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Minnesota Marty Offline

BDB - The way you have described you original intention, I do agree with. Sorry if I misread what you wrote. I was thinking in the concept of the thread being "stretches and temperaments." That is why I specified ET.

A piano can be stable, but in ET it is not in tune. Our difference seems to be the entire concept of intonation.

Certainly an instrument can be out of tune and vibrato does not negate the perceived pitch of the tonal center. Even with vibrato, or other coloration techniques, the fundamental pitch is heard. It is either in tune, or not.

Consider also, the effect of vibrato is totally different on a string instrument, on a wind, or from the voice. It can be amplitude or pitch and that is totally dependent on the method of production.

#2034426 - 02/16/13 06:59 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Herr Weiss - Welcome to Piano World!

When you compare A-440 to A-435, it is a direct reference to beats per second or Hz. The octave A above your tuning would be A-870. Those pitches would then be divided into the 12 half-steps which form the basis of western tonal structure.

Each note on your piano would be proportionally different from the corresponding note on a piano tuned to A-440.

Hope this helps.

#2034437 - 02/16/13 07:12 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Herr Weiss Offline

Thank you Minnesota Marty for your quick answer!
The reason I asked is that one of my pianos is a Upright from
the 1890's, New England #59529; and I'm afraid to practice on it
at A=440. So A=435 is a whole new ball game. Good to know.

Thank you once more. Cheers!

#2034439 - 02/16/13 07:21 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Herr Weiss Offline

So, at A=435, F3 to A3 will NOT have 7 bps wide, correct?
Less or more?. I'll experiment with my ears open.
Good night!

#2034457 - 02/16/13 08:02 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
BDB Online   content

BDB - The way you have described you original intention, I do agree with. Sorry if I misread what you wrote. I was thinking in the concept of the thread being "stretches and temperaments." That is why I specified ET.

A piano can be stable, but in ET it is not in tune. Our difference seems to be the entire concept of intonation.

Certainly an instrument can be out of tune and vibrato does not negate the perceived pitch of the tonal center. Even with vibrato, or other coloration techniques, the fundamental pitch is heard. It is either in tune, or not.

Consider also, the effect of vibrato is totally different on a string instrument, on a wind, or from the voice. It can be amplitude or pitch and that is totally dependent on the method of production.

I do not believe that you have a realistic notion of all of what being "in tune" might mean. You seem to want it to mean that a note is pitched arbitrarily close to some sort of theoretically pure relationship with any other note that it is played with. By that standard, nothing is "in tune." Even if you use as arbitrary a standard as "perceived pitch of the tonal center," nothing is in tune.

It is, as I said, all a question of tolerances. The tolerances on a piano are extremely small compared to almost all other instruments. In fact, many of the tempered intervals of a well-tuned piano may be closer to pure than the same intervals on other instruments where those intervals theoretically should be pure.

#2034458 - 02/16/13 08:05 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: Herr Weiss]
BDB Online   content

Originally Posted By: Herr Weiss
Good night!

It will not have the same 7 bps wide as it would be in 440, and I am not going to do the math right now to say how much slower it should be. I will point out that 7 is just an approximation.

#2034492 - 02/16/13 09:26 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Herr Weiss Offline

Wow, you guys are really cool! Yes, after thinking, I came to the conclusion that
of course it had to be slower, DUH?!?
I am the type that needs to understand everything in the smallest details before
it becomes part of me. To memorize stuff without understanding is futile.
My other piano is a Weser spinet '72. No problem with A=440 with this one and
the pins are super tight comparing with the New England.
I am in the assimilation point of my studies; full steam ahead now.
Thank you, BDB and Minnesota Marty, for the help. You guys can't even imagine
how much you all have guided me in my goal to become a knowledgeable and respectable
tuner, as I been following this site for a long time.
Cheers, H.W.

#2034502 - 02/16/13 09:55 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: BDB]
DoelKees Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Originally Posted By: BDB
Originally Posted By: Herr Weiss
Good night!

It will not have the same 7 bps wide as it would be in 440, and I am not going to do the math right now to say how much slower it should be. I will point out that 7 is just an approximation.

It will beat at 7 * 435/440 = 6.92 bps which is 7 bps for all practical purposes.

Kees

#2034518 - 02/16/13 10:57 PM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
Herr Weiss Offline

DoelKees: Getting teary eyes over here with the unexpected camaradie!!!

Back in 1985 I took a course given by a RPT that in the end went nowhere.
Should have been advertised as Tuning 101, because I knew that what I learned
was very superficial. Needless to say I went to Art school instead of continuing
further; his heart was not quite there, I'm equally guilty.

Years went by with no thoughts of ever going back to learn more, I could just do
regulation, no tuning. That White book is very hard to understand. My SIGHT-O-TUNER
is in mint condition, haha.

Well, after finding this heaven-sent web site, I started just looking out of curiosity.
One day I almost fell off my chair after reading Bill Bremmer explaining how to
tune without counting BEATS!! What a revelation!!!

Am here for the long haul, and just sad when I think, what a difference a good
teacher can be in a person's life.

Sorry for the drama, but it is all true.
Love all you guys + girls.

H.W.

#2034629 - 02/17/13 08:15 AM Re: Stretches and Temperaments [Re: greatlifestyle]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Strangely enough, Marty, I have represented your position about 25 years ago to the director of a well known American university concert band. They had commissioned a piece and the composer had gone into a remote key resulting in some terrie intonation problems. He was recommending the students get those cheap pocket tuning devices that were coming onto the market at that time. I advised scales in thirds, etc. working towards remote keys, in other words,,,,,,listening. It would be an interesting discussion, since older instruments were mentioned, what effects the adoption of the stroboscope by Conn, and others in the 1930's had on wind instrument manufacture.

What struck me most in that encounter was he way he a d his assistant treated the band. He genuinely thought the musicians respected him when in fact they feared him. A common confusion that sheds light on musicians raised in that atmosphere.
I hope it's not like that now. Does it stem from those NY conductors of the 30's-40's who had childish tempers and were always photographed making ferocious threatening gestures. I do know that much of this was a construct of the media and on one occasion that a musician was insulted, the rehearsal was stopped until a rep from local 402 could get there and insist on a public apology before the rehearsal could proceed.

There is a vast discrepancy regarding what is unnecessary rudeness on this forum. It is not as bad as it was. Most have learned, some don't know what rudeness is. Maybe too many television soaps. "it's not rude when it's true" !!! That's worthy of a 7 year old here.

It is not necessary to decry another opinion in order for your opinion to be heard. That stems from schooldays. Nobody does that any more except third rate politicians.

I will recant if you wish, it's really not that important. I was merely stating the findings of musicians who are daily playing and listening intently to immediate playbacks of their performance. As Ed, another consummate professional and listener quoted, everything changes when there's a piano in the mix. (words to that effect). Ed and I don't always agree and that's healthy, did you notice how politely he voiced his slightly differing opinion? Never to late to learn.

Edited by rxd (02/17/13 03:13 PM)

Eschew obfuscation.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Leutke Leipzig info
by Gardenergirl
09/16/14 12:26 AM
Best digital approximation
by TEHunter1
09/15/14 11:49 PM
Wow, check out this baby!
by Paul678
09/15/14 09:31 PM
Baby Grand new Hammer Knuckles.
by OscarL
09/15/14 08:30 PM
WEIRDEST passage in Chopin?
by Mark_C
09/15/14 08:16 PM
Who's Online
94 registered (beet31425, 31 invisible), 1073 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76209 Members
42 Forums
157553 Topics
2314180 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission