Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2034489 - 02/16/13 09:22 PM How come they don't make electric pianos anymore?
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Watched some youtube videos, I might want to try it out. What is the reason all the companies stopped making them?

(ads) Sweetwater / PR /Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano

Click Here

#2034493 - 02/16/13 09:30 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: adak]
torhu Offline

Who knows. Anyway they are still making them http://www.vintagevibe.com/

#2034497 - 02/16/13 09:43 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: torhu]
anotherscott Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: torhu
Who knows. Anyway they are still making them http://www.vintagevibe.com/

Rhodes also still has their site up at http://www.rhodespiano.com but it's out of date, and I don't know whether any model is actually currently in production.

At any rate, a real electric piano is going to be a boutique item in this era... great as they may be, they're heavy, one-trick ponies, and moreover, expensive to make. Like any business, "why they don't make them" anymore is usually a matter of too few customers willing to buy them.

#2034506 - 02/16/13 10:07 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: anotherscott]
torhu Offline

It's sad... A good Rhodes has always been my second choice after a piano. It's so flexible, and you don't have to deal with the issue of monitoring, which is usually the biggest issue with using a piano. It's very limited compared to a piano, but it shines when you're playing in a bar or other place where there's no piano/crappy monitoring/etc.

EDIT: Should mention that I'm talking about improvised music here, I'm a jazz guy. In pop music you often have greater need for a spesific sound, and expressivity comes second. Of course, you rarely get paid for playing jazz...

#2034579 - 02/17/13 03:30 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: adak]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
I'd much rather have a midi controller or a stage piano with a bunch of keyboard sounds than a collection of one trick ponies.

I am sometimes amused at the level of purity some folks want when it comes to an electric piano.

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2034651 - 02/17/13 09:26 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: Dave Horne]
Possum SP280Krome Offline
500 Post Club Member

I often wonder: Had digital sampling existed in the 1960's as it did today; we might not even have rhodes sounds and wurlitzer sounds.
Korg SP280

Rokit KRK 6 monitors
MXL V67G microphone

#2034656 - 02/17/13 09:33 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: adak]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
Apart from Vintage vibe who still make them.... The new Rhodes company went broke... Wurli is long gone and Yammy and Kawai stopped making their electric grands over a decade ago. Samples killed the EP .... which frankly sucks.

#2034677 - 02/17/13 10:22 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: Possum SP280Krome]
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Possum PX130
I often wonder: Had digital sampling existed in the 1960's as it did today; we might not even have rhodes sounds and wurlitzer sounds.

True. They were designed as attempts to create a portable acoustic piano replacement. The way a Hammond was supposed to emulate a pipe organ, and a mellotron was supposed to provide the sound of orchestral instruments. Wonderful failures.

#2034694 - 02/17/13 10:54 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: Dave Horne]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oregon
Originally Posted By: Dave Horne
I'd much rather have a midi controller or a stage piano with a bunch of keyboard sounds than a collection of one trick ponies.

I am sometimes amused at the level of purity some folks want when it comes to an electric piano.

You wouldn't have that "bunch of keyboard sounds" without the existence of the original one trick ponies from which they were sampled. And who wants an anemic sketch (as so many of these digital renditions are) of something that had character, vibrancy and, yes, balls. For me, it's less a level of purity that I want, than a sense of physical presence and a complexity of tone that does justice to the original.

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

"can hardly wait to hear what voxpox has to say..."
[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2034696 - 02/17/13 10:56 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: anotherscott]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: anotherscott
Wonderful failures.

That is the perfect way to describe these instruments. They were, after all, trying to do the same thing that Yamaha, Kawai and Roland are attempting to do today - and still failing!

https://soundcloud.com/richards-recordings/sets/strange-charm-waiting-for-the/s-ppGuy

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2034704 - 02/17/13 11:21 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: voxpops]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
Originally Posted By: voxpops
Wonderful failures.

That is the perfect way to describe these instruments. They were, after all, trying to do the same thing that Yamaha, Kawai and Roland are attempting to do today - and still failing!

Really? I don't think they are failing...certainly not failing enough for any archivist or vintage sound enthusiast in the future to want to imitate them, surely? At least, I can't imagine it, somehow.

Although it is certainly true that Hammond were trying to do pipe organs and Rhodes were trying to do pianos and magnificently failing.....as were the pipe organ manufacturers of earlier centuries, by the way. They were truly heroic failures as synthesiser manufacturers, only being saved by the dense echo of their effects processing.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2034709 - 02/17/13 11:27 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: toddy]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: toddy
Wonderful failures.

Really? I don't think they are failing...certainly not failing enough for any archivist or vintage sound enthusiast in the future to want to imitate them, surely? At least, I can't imagine it, somehow.

LOL... No, I don't think anyone will want to imitate the Yamaha P35 fifty years from now! But I also don't think that even Yamaha would claim they yet offer us a perfect facsimile of one of their own grand pianos.

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2034719 - 02/17/13 11:43 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: adak]
Dave Horne Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vught, The Netherlands
Having played real Fender Rhodes on concerts and jobs, I'll take the digital sampled variations that exist today thank you very much.

The original Rhodes' keyboard action was a real pain to deal with and the shortcomings that exist (for some) in the many sampled variations of that original theme are something I know that I can live with.

I'm a practical musician, not a purist. smile

mp3\wav files

AvantGrand N3, CP5

#2034726 - 02/17/13 11:58 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: Dave Horne]
voxpops Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Having played real Fender Rhodes on concerts and jobs, I'll take the digital sampled variations that exist today thank you very much.

The original Rhodes' keyboard action was a real pain to deal with and the shortcomings that exist (for some) in the many sampled variations of that original theme are something I know that I can live with.

I'm a practical musician, not a purist. smile

I'm actually with you on this, Dave. I'm having a blast with my recently acquired SV-1, even though it has plenty of shortcomings. That said, I've yet to come across a Wurli patch in any current DP that gives me the same sense of involvement that I had on my 200A (that I stupidly sold in 1983).

[HisKidd, May 2014]

#2034731 - 02/17/13 12:13 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: voxpops]
3000 Post Club Member

The original Rhodes' keyboard action was a real pain to deal

I've yet to come across a Wurli patch in any current DP that gives me the same sense of involvement that I had on my 200A (that I stupidly sold in 1983).

If you ever come across a Kurzweil MIDIboard, if finger memory serves, that felt a lot like playing a Wurli. Triggering some good Wurli sample and playing it from that keybed could be a winning combination.

As for the Rhodes... they varied a lot. I had one that I hated, the action was "rubbery." But I have played other ones that felt great.

#2034770 - 02/17/13 01:26 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: voxpops]
toddy Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Portugal
I ... don't think that even Yamaha would claim they yet offer us a perfect facsimile of one of their own grand pianos.

Yes of course that is true - that's what some of us here spend our time complaining about. And it's interesting to speculate where the line is drawn between magnificent failure (mellotron, rhodes etc) and boring competence. I seem to remember that early low quality Fairlight 8 bit samples have later been praised as being 'crunchy' - and subsequently been re-sampled. And then there're now decades we've had to put up with the awful bumps and burbles produced by the Roland TR808.

Reaper / NI Komplete 9 /Kontakt 5// EWQL Sym Choirs/ Sym Orchestra Silver/ MOR2
Mics: SP B1 & MXL V67g/ Alesis MicTube Preamp/ Xenyx302/ Yamaha HS7s .

"Only a fool is fooled" pv88, All Fools' Day 2014.

#2035050 - 02/17/13 11:48 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: toddy]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
And then there're now decades we've had to put up with the awful bumps and burbles produced by the Roland TR808.

shocked

#2035059 - 02/18/13 12:18 AM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: toddy]
Kawai James Online   content
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
I seem to remember that early low quality Fairlight 8 bit samples have later been praised as being 'crunchy' - and subsequently been re-sampled.

8-bit, yeah, now you're talking! wink

I grew up listening to (and occasionally creating) Amiga computer music using 8-bit samples. Incredibly good stuff, given the technical limitations of the day!

/off topic

James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2035320 - 02/18/13 03:05 PM Re: How come they don't make electric pianos anymore? [Re: Kawai James]
Scott Hamlin Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kawai James
I seem to remember that early low quality Fairlight 8 bit samples have later been praised as being 'crunchy' - and subsequently been re-sampled.

8-bit, yeah, now you're talking! wink

I grew up listening to (and occasionally creating) Amiga computer music using 8-bit samples. Incredibly good stuff, given the technical limitations of the day!

/off topic

James
x

Linkin Park uses 8 bit samples to great effect!

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
> Robin Spielberg Playing in Maine! <
-------------------
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (AndresD, anotherscott, ajames, Abby Pianoman, AndrewJCW, 42 invisible), 1782 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75479 Members
42 Forums
156055 Topics
2291566 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Time to change teacher?
by AndresD
Today at 09:34 AM
Adjusting Sound During Restringing
by BillJZ
Today at 09:05 AM
My fingers know what my brain has forgotten
by PatrickBl
Yesterday at 08:30 PM
Fully-Rebuilt Pianos Versus New Pianos
by Paul678
Yesterday at 08:12 PM
How do you identify the melody on a sheet of music?
by Alex1
Yesterday at 07:38 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission