Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
131 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, ando, anamnesis, 48 invisible), 1789 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2034436 - 02/16/13 07:08 PM I paid deposit to the PLEYEL!
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thank you everyone especially Nobert and Steve Jackson!
Paid deposit final price $7200+tax

Pleyel P124
Better part is wife loved the polished black finish!

Steve Jackson can you be my technician to check the piano? laugh

So exited I'm outside will post details later!

Thanks everyone I love this forum

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2034445 - 02/16/13 07:31 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
jawhitti Offline

Congratulations! Hope you don't have to wait too long! smile

#2034466 - 02/16/13 08:17 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your piano! The excitement is contagious. smile

Rick

#2034496 - 02/16/13 09:40 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steve Jackson Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
Paid deposit final price $7200+tax

Pleyel P124
Better part is wife loved the polished black finish!

Steve Jackson can you be my technician to check the piano? laugh

So exited I'm outside will post details later!

Thanks everyone I love this forum

Congratulations!

Call me tomorrow.

Take care

Steve

http://stevejacksonpianos.com

#2034503 - 02/16/13 09:55 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Quote:

What did I do wrong this time? crazy

Congrats anyways!!

Norbert wink

Edited by Norbert (02/17/13 01:56 AM)

#2034516 - 02/16/13 10:48 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
Congrats! The excitement is totally contagious!

#2034529 - 02/17/13 12:08 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Basically there are two left overs in the store, p131 mahagony and p124. From 2007, they couldn't sell it and have been left in the warehouse ever since.

Last toning was done almost a year ago.
Action is not regulated - the p131 is not in good shape while p124 is slightly better.

Both are made by Renner in Germany. I had amazing experience with schimmel and August Forster Renner upright action so I have high expectations for these. It's fairly light and responsive- easy to play pp. but p131 is very slow.
I asked dealer to fully prep and regulate the piano before I pay my full purchase.

Pedals and cabinet has minor scratches - dealer said easy no problem - will fix before my next visit. It's polyester polish black finish.

Tones are great. Best bass I have heard for an upright - clean, deep and growling. P131 is obviously better, but p124 is very close.

Generally I found the tones are extremely even and straight forward, the upper register has a very nice singing tone, the 2nd octavo has some best class singing tone - by this I meani cannot make up my mind which onei like better - August Forster, bechstein, grotrian or pleyel? I guess I would be happy with either one!
The highest octavo reminds the tone of Estonia, a bit cold to my liking, but the sustain is great - in fact the sustain is very long for every note.

The best part is I love how the lid opens on this piano - something I have never seen (which I haven't seen everything) but I'm surprised other uprights are not doing it. I will add the image later. Basically there's a sub panel in front panel, when you open the light, the upper front panel opens up - and wow, it suddenly has the grand sounding - which absent from August Forster 125 compare to the 170 grand. You really lose A LOT tone quality by only hearing the reflect sound from rear of the sound board. I almost immediately decide to take it after I heard the change when t he lid opens up half way. The difference is night and day. I think Kawai k8 has similar design approach, and Steinway k52 opens lid from buttom.

I hope the treble can voice a bit warmer without losing the sustain.

The other great discovery is - since I wasinthrSteinway gallery (formal dealer for pleyelandpetrof) I try to explain the only reason stop me liking the Steinway- the trebe has no sustainnorsinging tone. And I prefereuropean tone - and I have played like 15 stein ways in the past so I know what they sound like.

Clark (the sales representative) then insist me to try one of the many Steinway A. Wow! A bechstein trebe! ( get the joke?) this is exactly the trebe I love - singing, long sustain and full of brilliance. Clark then explain to me it's very depend on the technician - andNY Steinway requires a lot prep time than the German ones. And most people, include himself prefer the American tone (whichever the ones I played in th e past). This just bring Steinway to my love list again. And I now really get the joke between new c.bechstein andsteinway sound.

Anyways after some negotiation I settled the price tag to 7200 plus tax - a deal almost too good to miss - if the piano is in good shape. Which Steve Jackson will tell me ( I hope)

I paid a little refundable deposite to show my serious interest. I am very pleased with the dealer, the staff and helpful, honest and subjective. Which I felt free to discuss my other alternatives: the grotrian Frederick, August Forster 116 and bechstein academy a1, and Vogel/schimmel, without bashing the brands they are not selling - which is very rare but pleasing.

The pleyel by no means is better than the brands I I have mentioned - they all great instruments and stand well on their own rights. The opportunity came by and I got one of the few newPleyel uprights left on this planet. Life is full of coincidence I guess,I start to self learn piano because the love of Chopin, and crotot is my all time favorite pianist - the pleyel p124 sound quite different than the ones from decades ago - but by no means in a bad way. I think the spirit in pleyel still continues in someway.

We decide to take p124 over p131 purely for the finish. We both don't like mahagony. The pleyel cabinet is some finest I've seen.

#2034543 - 02/17/13 12:54 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steven Y. A. Offline

upload didnt work

Edited by Steven Y. A. (02/19/13 07:00 PM)

#2034551 - 02/17/13 01:38 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Norbert]
Steven Y. A. Offline

You did everything right! laugh I'm sending my buddy to check out the kayserburg in the summer

#2035986 - 02/19/13 04:57 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

Loc: Indiana/Illinois
New to the forum, but I would like to post and send a picture of my Pleyel made in 1853 case is bronze and guilted gold... how do I do this.. you will enjoy the pictures.. still working on finding out more info on it.

never been on a forum before and new to this so someone send me how I can get a picture on here for you all to look at

thanks

#2035988 - 02/19/13 04:59 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

not for sure hot to post on this form and sent a post but don't think I did it correctly - never been on a forum before.. My Pleyel was made in 1853 if bronze with guilted gold... would like you all to see it. interested in finding out as much as I can about it.

so I need to know how to put a picture in posting. thanks for your help

#2036007 - 02/19/13 05:26 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Robert A - Welcome to Piano World!

Go back to the main page of Piano Forum - the page with the list of the active topics. At the top of the page you will see the FAQ topics. Click on the "How do I post a photo?" thread. That should help you out.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2036038 - 02/19/13 06:14 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Lluís Offline

Loc: Barcelona,Spain, European Unio...
Hi Robert, I own a 1862 Pleyel,and organizationg some concerts in Barcelona with some restored Pleyels (1839,1832..) very interested in this brand speccialy the old pianos. Contacte me via private message!

1855 Pleyel Pianino (Restoring -> www.pleyelrestoration.blogspot.com )

#2036052 - 02/19/13 06:51 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steven Y. A. Offline

are thoese dings?

Edited by Steven Y. A. (02/19/13 06:59 PM)

#2036105 - 02/19/13 09:34 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Norbert Offline

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Last time I played French made Pleyels was about 10 years ago at Frankfurt Messe: liked them a lot.
In fact it showed how close the French and Germans had grown over the years....
Norbert wink

#2036266 - 02/20/13 08:11 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

I think is it amazing that you are able to find a new Pleyel piano! I searched several years ago to find out information about my Pleyel piano, sent an emails and slow mail to them without hearing back from them only to find out they were out of business. Then I just recently started searching again and this forum appeared.

So thanks for your patients in my becoming familiar with a forum - never been on one before.

I guess I must be illiterate - the directions make no sense. I only have the pictures of my pleyel on my compluter. I did send some of the pictures directly to Lluis. Would like to post them here - if there are simple directions I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#2036332 - 02/20/13 10:21 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

Got my picture in but don't know how to post it directly on here so here is the info

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/DSC04117.JPG

Looking forward to hear what you have to say about it.

thanks

#2036362 - 02/20/13 11:20 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Robert A]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Wow!

Robert, your piano is spectacular and in such fine condition. Rococo to the max. Would it be possible to post an additional photo with the fallboard open?

#2036366 - 02/20/13 11:27 AM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Robert A]
Steven Y. A. Offline

(I posted the image for you Robert)

Wow Beautiful! Probably the finest finish I have seen for an upright piano.
Does it still sound good? You have to restore this one smile
Great grandpa of mine pleyel haha

Edited by Steven Y. A. (02/20/13 12:03 PM)

#2036383 - 02/20/13 12:01 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
jawhitti Offline

Wow, that's a beautifully ornate credenza. Can't wait to see the piano. ...Wait, what?

#2036385 - 02/20/13 12:07 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

Thanks I thought you would enjoy looking at it. Yes it does play, needs tuning. Since I am not a piano technician I am not sure what you mean by fall board open. I do have a music degree and played piano since 1st grade, but that is all I know about piano. Has an interesting history - my Aunt left it to me in her will. So it has been in the family I know of from at least from 1970. (but I think I know where she got it from) I used to play it for her every time I visited her. Lucky me - I know. Was surprised actually. Her secretary told me that Libarace had inquired about buying it many years ago - not for sure that is true however.

It is amazing to see the outside of the piano in almost perfect condition with only the small flaw on the front below the key board. Just working on finding out as much as I can about it.

Any information would be helpful.. Thanks again

#2036395 - 02/20/13 12:22 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Fallboard open = Showing the keys

#2036396 - 02/20/13 12:23 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
BDB Online   content

Loc: Oakland
I suspect that all the value of Robert's piano would be in the case. Old Pleyels like that were pretty primitive inside. Chances are it will not hold its tuning, and it is probably a birdcage action which no longer plays well. But it is an impressive piece of furniture.

#2036553 - 02/20/13 05:26 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Robert A Offline

Thanks Steve for having it to appear in the forum for me.

There are two numbers on the piano. The case number is 19223 and the guts or number on the inside playing is 20224. So the questions is did someone replace the interior with a piano that was made at a later date. Not for sure what you meand by a birdcage action. I have several pictures not on the computer I am on at the present, but when I return home will be able to post more if you would like.

Thanks again

#2036595 - 02/20/13 07:00 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
BerndAB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Germany
A "birdcage action" refers to the "hindering" wires in elder uprights to agitate the dampers above the hammers. For tunings you must put the tuning hammer between the wires. It is an elder construction principle around year 1900 +- 20 years and disappeared later on.

In "normal" uprights the dampers work in a better position under the hammers. (The damper function is better there.)

Birdcage actions can be (..) quite good but need often some diligence for a fine adjusting.

But!!: They are the utmost preference for ragtime playing which often takes profit from a "not-so-good" damping..
wink

Normally a "dampers-above" piano should not be the one and single piano which one owns. But it can be a marvellous second piano. I'd like to own one (..but mylady is of another opinion..). <shy>

D 1877 satin black plain

#2045077 - 03/08/13 01:48 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steven Y. A. Offline

It will be delivered to my condo tomorrow morning!
Its nice to meet Steve Jackson from pianoworld and he made sure the Pleyel is in good shape.
The action is a little heavier than other Renner actions ive played (Schimmel, A.Forster) Steve said the piano needs more playing.
Here is a bonus: mid pedal is sostenuto! I didnt expect that feature at all since it is usually an "option" to add in high performance uprights.
Paid full amount! So excited! Posting pictures tomorrow laugh

#2045112 - 03/08/13 02:57 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Glad to see you are really excited.

Steve Jackson has an outstanding reputation, I'm sure you'll end up with a magnificent instrument.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2045162 - 03/08/13 04:14 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
shaolin95 Offline

Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
It will be delivered to my condo tomorrow morning!
Its nice to meet Steve Jackson from pianoworld and he made sure the Pleyel is in good shape.
The action is a little heavier than other Renner actions ive played (Schimmel, A.Forster) Steve said the piano needs more playing.
Here is a bonus: mid pedal is sostenuto! I didnt expect that feature at all since it is usually an "option" to add in high performance uprights.
Paid full amount! So excited! Posting pictures tomorrow laugh

Awesome! I am in for the picture show! laugh
Congrats!

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2045202 - 03/08/13 05:44 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Lluís Offline

Birdcage action along with the english schapement action are for me the best action ever done for pianos, the control of the sound is absolute, the melodic and cromatic possibilities If you know how to play a birdcage action is just awesome. I'm feeling very sad for the comments here describing the construction of Pleyel as primitive... because was in this pianos where the sound was more rich and complex... For the serial number this fortepiano is dated between the years 1857 and 1859. In my personal opinion I dislike the design is too much "Rococo" , also the condition is just outstanding, I'm sure that this piece had been in great hands and probably restored (Furniture only), I'd love to see how it does looks inside, the inside of a piano can tell us many things about his life!.

I've checked the Pleyel archives and looked for that serial number, it wasn't done for someone special, just made to be exposed and surely then someone bought it, but it is not a piano that was pre-ordered.

#2056450 - 03/29/13 07:32 PM Re: I paid deposit to the PLEYEL! [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Lluís Offline

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
C. Bechstein M-180 made for American climate?
by Twindad
4 minutes 24 seconds ago
what's the best price for a ritmuller 188r?
by zhengy4
35 minutes 12 seconds ago
Can twisting bass strings make them brighter
by Silverwood Pianos
Today at 12:36 PM
Kawai CA95 - Any Firmware Updates
by McBuster
Today at 10:45 AM
Mozart sonata k.333, Mark C?
by Pover
Today at 09:54 AM
Forum Stats
77013 Members
42 Forums
159292 Topics
2339943 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission