Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2034662 - 02/17/13 09:46 AM 2013 Arizona Piano Party update
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Originally Posted By: FarmGirl
We just had a wonderful party last night. First annual piano forum party in Arizona. We had eight pianists showed up and played the piano from 5:00 PM to 11:00 PM! I will write more in ABF and Pianist Corner. One thing I could say is that the level of playing, musicality and individual talent of the participants were phenomenal! We started out playing our prepared piece for an hour, then they just started sight reading from my music collection. It was great night. Lots of Chopin, some Mendelssohn, Mussorgsky, Liszt and so on. Here's the quick look of our party.

Here's Carey:

Here's Mr. Super Hunky:

Here's SamRose:

Here's myself:

It was a great party! I will write more later.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2034663 - 02/17/13 09:47 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]

Well I thin you have to go to the piano party section of the forum. I don't know how to adds a link here.
Pieces at work - Schubert Sonata D960 2nd mvmnt Andante sostenute, Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1, Haru No Umi-the Sea In Spring (Michio Miyagi) for Flute & Piano (Nov Diversity Fair at work)

#2034732 - 02/17/13 12:15 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
jotur Online   blank
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Thank you for posting! It looks and sounds like it was wonderful! More pictures!

Cathy

#2034736 - 02/17/13 12:22 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
AmateurBob Offline

Loc: Arizona
I was amazed to meet so many truly talented artists! This should become an annual (or more often) event.

#2034742 - 02/17/13 12:38 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
What fun!!! I KNEW you would all have a wonderful time!
It is so neat to have faces to put to the forum names!

#2034850 - 02/17/13 04:13 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Arizona.
Thanks for such a great party Farmgirl. Everyone seemed to have a great time and Farmgirl was a fantastic host.

The only problem was the level of playing from the participants was nothing short of ridiculous. It started out with Farmgirl performing an incredibly beautiful piece in which she seemed to completely immerse herself in the performance. She plays at a much higher level than what I had expected (and I had high expectations!)

Next performing was both Carey and Sam Rose. It was at this time I realized that I was in a one story building and so throwing myself out the window would not end the suffering of my ineptness compared to these guys. I considered drowning myself in the backyard pool but Farmgirls two beautiful dogs were out there and it wouldn't be fair to them to witness that so I just had to sit and listen to the most incredible piano playing I have ever heard realizing that there is NO WAY I could ever play at this level. EVER!

Carey has a lifelong wealth of musical knowledge and experience and it shows every second he is at the bench.

Sam Rose is stupid talented. It is just so ridiculous that for only playing around 2 years, he can literally play just about anything you ask of him at any level. At one point I asked if he could play any new-age type music so he just quickly made something up on the fly and it (literally) gave me goosebumps it was so nice. I even physically interupted his playing just to show him (and Farmgirls teacher) the amount of raised goosebumps that were on my arm. I have NEVER had this happen before.

All in all it was a wonderful time and I have been incredibly humbled, yet incredibly inspired at the same time at the level of playing from these ABF members. I look forward to meeting again at some point in the future, hopefully with even more ABF members attending.
'
Here's a group shot of the performers.

#2034921 - 02/17/13 06:42 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Strings & Wood Offline

Gold member until Dec. 2012

Loc: USA
That is an outstanding looking group. Wish I could have been there to hear the performances. Someday, we will have to get the Colorado group and the Arizona group together!
Carl

Schimmel K213 NWS

#2034925 - 02/17/13 06:53 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
Jeesh SH, I can't figure out which one is you. No one has a speedo on.

I think Sam is a shill!!!! I guess it would not have done any good throwing him out the window if it was only one story.

#2034926 - 02/17/13 06:56 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
How lovely! Wish I could have been there- it's a long way from Liverpool LOL. However I would not have gone to play just to watch and mingle. Isn't it wonderful how people make friends on this forum? Pianos are bringing people together just as they did 100-200 years ago. smile

Edited by EdwardianPiano (02/17/13 06:57 PM)

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2034947 - 02/17/13 07:39 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Peyton]
Strings & Wood Offline

Quote:
I think Sam is a shill!!!! I guess it would not have done any good throwing him out the window if it was only one story.

I have been following Sam's journey for a while now, and the thought has crossed my mind, but for now, I am going with MSH's stupidly talented. We have "Hawgdriver" in our group, that could also fall into the that category.

Schimmel K213 NWS

#2034948 - 02/17/13 07:40 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Strings & Wood Offline

Quote:
Isn't it wonderful how people make friends on this forum? Pianos are bringing people together just as they did 100-200 years ago.

Indeed!

Schimmel K213 NWS

#2035052 - 02/18/13 12:02 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
Glad to hear everyone is even awesomer [sic] in person than these recording we submit. I think secretly we're all wishing we were there too, and also would have been throwing ourselves out of a first floor window with MSH. laugh

#2035073 - 02/18/13 01:18 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Many thanks to FarmGirl for hosting this wonderful event at her home in Phoenix. Not only did I get the opportunity to meet Mr. Super-Hunky, Amateur Bob, the gifted Sam Rose and FarmGirl herself - BUT there were several other talented folks there who contributed greatly to the success of the evening. Of course, the hit of the evening was Sam Rose with his rendition of Chopin's Ballade #1 - which was noteworthy given that Sam has only been playing for a couple of years and is largely self taught (such talent!!). Everyone else provided unique contributions as well (Mr. Super-Hunky's beautiful new age compositions, FarmGirl's sensitive performance of a Brahms intermezzo, and FarmGirl's teacher's playing of Rachmaninoff and just about anything else.) But the party was not just about the piano. We got the chance to get to know each other and discover how much we all have in common (the "six degrees of separation" thing). Am so looking forward to our next get-together - and would encourage those of you in other cities/towns in the US and wherever to organize similar gatherings of like-minded piano lovers.

Cheers !!!!

#2035078 - 02/18/13 01:37 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Sam Rose Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Well, I'm back at home in Los Angeles, and what an adventure it was. I'd like to congratulate myself on getting ZERO speeding tickets on my first interstate drive (and I sure deserved one).

Thank you so much to FarmGirl for hosting (and playing really beautifully, but I was expecting that), and to everyone who came and played. And thanks for all the compliments. They are not at all deserved. My playing left very much to be desired, but it was really nice to play such a long and difficult piece and not forget any notes (this was the first time I'd tried something this long and this difficult). The technical issues will be worked out in due time, hopefully.

Carey and Chris (FarmGirl's teacher) have that amazing musicality that comes from a lifetime of experience and complete freedom from worry about the technical aspects of playing. I was inspired by it, and I hope I'll get there one day.

Super Hunky really lived up to his forum persona. Despite all his arguments about being a hack, he plays with great musicality, and it's just a pleasure to listen to. I could listen all day, and I'm jealous of his ability to do that (weird fingerings included wink )
And by the way, I can't improvise at all like you do. The new age stuff is just music I've heard and spent a bit of time memorizing. I WISH I could just make something up like that, the way you do all the time. Maybe one day...

All in all, it was a wonderful time, and maybe someone will organize something like this in Los Angeles so I won't need to drive 6 hours each way to the next one laugh

I look forward to the day when my playing will be great just because it's great, and not only because it's good for x years of playing. I hope that day comes within a few years, or I might take up rock climbing instead mad
Chopin Ballade no 1 in G minor Op.23
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

#2035085 - 02/18/13 02:00 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Sam -

Glad to know you made it back home safely !!

Hold off on the rock climbing - not good for your hands. You'll definitely get to where you want to be with the piano in a few years !!

And if you have any fingering questions related to the Opus 25 No.1, just holler !! thumb

#2035090 - 02/18/13 02:31 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Sam, glad you made it back safely as well.

Lets be clear however, Sams a 24 year old guy who just happens to be cruising around in a spotless brand new Corvette with removable roof panels. I don't feel bad for him. I ENVY him! He paid for it himself doing business deals too.

I told him whatever he is doing to not change a thing. His recipe is really working out well.

#2035091 - 02/18/13 02:36 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

It is so great to read the input from the individual participants. How cool would it be to have the Arizona group and the Colorado group together?

It would be super to be able to join you - as that isn't possible, the next best thing is reading about it and seeing the pics!

#2035111 - 02/18/13 04:23 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
WiseBuff Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Brighton Colorado
Sounds like a fabulous time in Arizona...do you have recordings? Getting together f2f makes PW that much better. It is indeed wonderful how piano is bringing us together to share music. Maybe we'll have to Skype these get togethers to include some of our global friends

Love to learn

#2035182 - 02/18/13 09:50 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Sam, glad you made it back safely as well.

Lets be clear however, Sams a 24 year old guy who just happens to be cruising around in a spotless brand new Corvette with removable roof panels. I don't feel bad for him. I ENVY him! He paid for it himself doing business deals too.

I told him whatever he is doing to not change a thing. His recipe is really working out well.

Wait, so now you're saying that not only is he stupidly talented he also drives a Vette? And you didn't toss him out the window? Obviously we deal with envy in different ways.... laugh

#2035196 - 02/18/13 10:38 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]

Ahmm, I was gonna keep it quiet but he was just about to sleep with my doggie. I have a shocking pic to prove it. I am going to blackmail Sam when he is playing in the Carnegie hall.

Edited by FarmGirl (02/18/13 10:42 AM)

#2035234 - 02/18/13 11:39 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Peyton Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Ahmm, I was gonna keep it quiet but he was just about to sleep with my doggie. I have a shocking pic to prove it. I am going to blackmail Sam when he is playing in the Carnegie hall.

Yes, blackmail!!! Now we are talking.

#2035313 - 02/18/13 02:51 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Careful Farmgirl as I think someone may have a clip of us slapping our legs and hands together while repeating the phrase "Eat your goddam spinach"' over and over.

Don't ask! Lol.

#2035439 - 02/18/13 06:53 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]

Mr. SH, that's funny. No worries. I won't blackmail any of you. It was a good party.

I will forward an invitation to a home recital of a well known amateur classical pianist to all of you if you would like. It's on 3/23 Sat. Yes, he lives here in AZ. I would not spill more detail here since he is not a forum member. You may recognize his name once you see his name. It will be great if you can make it. If you can't, no prob since its not our piano party(smile). It's free of course but it's one of those bring your own chair kind of concert. Let me know.

#2035555 - 02/18/13 11:41 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: casinitaly]
Cinnamonbear Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Rockford, IL
Originally Posted By: casinitaly
[...] It would be super to be able to join you - as that isn't possible, the next best thing is reading about it and seeing the pics!

Indeed! When we looked at the pictures, my wife said of Carey, "OMG! He looks just like you in ten years!" grin

#2035610 - 02/19/13 01:19 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Cinnamonbear]
carey Online   content
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Cinnamonbear
[...] It would be super to be able to join you - as that isn't possible, the next best thing is reading about it and seeing the pics!

Indeed! When we looked at the pictures, my wife said of Carey, "OMG! He looks just like you in ten years!" grin

ha Well - more like in 15 years - and, for your sake, I hope not !!! grin

#2035623 - 02/19/13 01:35 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: casinitaly]

It is so great to read the input from the individual participants. How cool would it be to have the Arizona group and the Colorado group together?

It would be super to be able to join you - as that isn't possible, the next best thing is reading about it and seeing the pics!

+1.
And yes, someday in Italy!

#2035632 - 02/19/13 02:10 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Mr Super-Hunky]
casinitaly Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
Careful Farmgirl as I think someone may have a clip of us slapping our legs and hands together while repeating the phrase "Eat your goddam spinach"' over and over.

Don't ask! Lol.

I suspect that had something to do with getting the rhythm for 3 over 4 patterns (don't I sound knowledgeable...it is amazing what you can learn in these forums smile )

#2035634 - 02/19/13 02:11 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
casinitaly Offline

+1.
And yes, someday in Italy!

Yes! I have my thinking cap on.

#2035692 - 02/19/13 07:31 AM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: FarmGirl]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
Jealous ... but, where were the speedos?! wink

Kawai K3

#2036129 - 02/19/13 10:27 PM Re: 2013 Arizona Piano Party update [Re: Andy Platt]
Mr Super-Hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Platt
Jealous ... but, where were the speedos?! wink

I know posting this defines 'shameless' however if you knew how many years I had to eat tuna out of a can (packed in water) you would understand.

Our hobbies and passions may change over time as we get older but the flame that inspires them doesn't have to.

This photo is getting too outdated and I am getting too old and out of shape to even remotely be associated with this pic anymore. But maybe if you strain hard you can make a positive ID. Possibly.

p.s I know Carl (Strings & Wood) has a pic of HIM like this as I've seen it. $5 bucks to whoever gets him to post it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
136 registered (Almaviva, accordeur, angga888, Alux, 43 invisible), 1488 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251492 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
43 minutes 32 seconds ago
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
45 minutes 52 seconds ago
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Today at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Today at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Today at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission