Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2034389 - 02/16/13 05:49 PM *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank
davefrank Offline
500 Post Club Member

This in-depth master class can teach you to improvise) Designed for beginning improvisers, this class focuses on BREAKING THE IMPROV BARRIER using modal vamps. Free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjJVSQz1eK4

Blessings and keep swingin from NYC!

Piano & Music Accessories
#2034527 - 02/17/13 12:00 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
jawhitti Offline

Nice. I'd like to hear more about moving between modes as in the way you moved between mixo and Phrygian in this vid. Are there rules of thumb on which mode transitions work better than others?

As an example if I play a single-note E in the LH and descend C to C Ionian in RH, then Eb in LH and C to C Dorian, then Db and C to C Phrygian then finally C and C to C Ionian it seems to work very well, I guess because going to Dorian and Phrygian take you progressively further from the "home" mode and then the last scale in Ionian feels kind of like a "modal resolution".

I found the above somewhat accidentally just screwing around with modes and would be interested in finding a way to put some structure around said screwing around to be more productive beyond "hmm, that sounded pretty cool".

#2034666 - 02/17/13 09:55 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
jawhitti Offline

Oh, I have one tidbit to contribute. The popular song "Porcelain" by Moby is almost all a modal vamp. There are four chords in the vamp (Gm, Bb, Fm, Ab) but really they are just two - Gm7 and Bb combine to make Gm7 and Fm and Ab combine to make Fm7. The tinkly piano parts are Bb mixolydian.

Common to modal vamping there is no real "resolution" or diatonic progression' certainly nothin like a V-I cadence. Instead the tonal center is in distinct, which helps give the song its floating quality. It's a fun one to vamp on smile

#2043332 - 03/05/13 11:48 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
I've been toying with this and finally getting some interesting sound. My hand independence is still an issue, but like the vib you get out of it.

#2043337 - 03/05/13 11:58 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: Mark...]
Dfrankjazz Offline

Loc: NYC
You can try the easier vamps to start)

#2045207 - 03/08/13 06:04 PM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: Dfrankjazz]
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
I applaud and entirely concur with your sentiment that everybody has the right to experience the ecstasy of personal improvisation. I would love to agree with you about older classically and academically trained players being able to embrace it. I wish it were true but I am rather afraid it isn't. I have tried it with players of tremendous learning and technique and it's like pulling teeth. Aside from those who acquire the habit in youth, and they are very few, improvisation is a completely foreign notion, either restricted to jazz or at best a sort of poor man's composition.

Surprisingly perhaps, as the sounds of most jazz do not excite me, I always emerge from your presentations full of ideas. Strictly periodic cells such as Jarrett's earlier five minute grinds, I usually fast forward through. Aperiodic, or better still "almost periodic" vamps, on the other hand, I find peculiarly exciting - remember Ives' remark about the stones in the orchard wall - difference within similarity.

Perhaps the fact of starting spontaneous creation is what really matters, the actual idiom, jazz, baroque or anything else being of secondary importance.

Your obvious delight in your music shines through, a brilliant exception to the procession of deadly serious "ought tos", "musts" and "shoulds" in the musical world.

#2045287 - 03/08/13 10:23 PM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
Dfrankjazz Offline

Hi Ted, thanks for writing and nice to meet you. I saw the 84 year young Barry Harris play yesterday, unbelievable about some jazz masters (Dick Hyman turned 86 today)they play to perfection in their mid-80's) Barry is an absolutely Divine individual, one of the great jazz pianists (underrated)of any age, and a peerless teacher and a beacon of light.

At the end of a GORGEOUS afternoon trio performance, he just said "jazz is beautiful".

Dave Frank

Edited by Dfrank (03/08/13 10:24 PM)

#2048682 - 03/15/13 11:29 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
TromboneAl Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern, Northern California
Hey, Dave, interesting story about this:

Last night at our monthly piano party, I mentioned this modal vamp video, and demonstrated it. As soon as I mentioned your name, one of the other pianists, Jackie Hogan, said "Hey, I know Dave Frank! He taught me some jazz stuff a long time ago, and taught me the only jazz song I know, 'You Took Advantage of Me'".

That was a long time ago -- remember her?

My Book: Becoming a Great Sight-Reader -- or Not!
My Blog: The Year of Piano Sight-Reading

#2048685 - 03/15/13 11:46 AM Re: *New* - Beginning Improvising using Modal Vamps w/Dave Frank [Re: davefrank]
Dfrankjazz Offline

oops..no..is she married to Hulk? He forced me to give him lessons from 88-90..

DF

Moderator:  sharpsandflats 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How about this Knabe Studio Piano?
by Paul678
09/20/14 11:49 PM
Who invented the Compression Soundboard?
by chernobieff
09/20/14 11:46 PM
Round Eagle Claw Piantool
by jayr
09/20/14 11:08 PM
Tuning Stability
by PhilipInChina
09/20/14 10:48 PM
External Powered Speakers for Yamaha Clavinova
by eighty80eights8s
09/20/14 10:19 PM
Who's Online
106 registered (anotherscott, AZ_Astro, accordeur, BarryR, 30 invisible), 1026 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76260 Members
42 Forums
157658 Topics
2315704 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission