Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2034311 - 02/16/13 03:37 PM Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics)
ju5t1n-h Offline

Loc: Vancouver, British Columbia
Essex EUP-123S - So loud compared to my yamaha C109

I love her sooo much

and here was my previous pianos

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2034338 - 02/16/13 04:27 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Congrats!

Piano whisperer telling me the 123 upright is actually the best of the whole bunch!

Enjoy!

Norbert smile

#2034392 - 02/16/13 05:51 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
It is lovely - Congratulations!

You have made a fine choice with the Essex.

Enjoy - Enjoy - Enjoy

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2034455 - 02/16/13 07:59 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
ju5t1n-h Offline

thank you laugh it has been my silver lining to my cloudy week!

#2034463 - 02/16/13 08:12 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Congrats ! I just played one today. Delicate sounding and beautiful piano. Congrats !

#2034468 - 02/16/13 08:18 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Rickster Online   content

Loc: Georgia, USA
Congratulations on your new piano! I love the cabinet style.

Rick

#2034521 - 02/16/13 11:07 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
HalfStep Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
It's beautiful!

#2034544 - 02/17/13 12:55 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
ju5t1n-h Offline

The only downside is I don't have a practice pedal, so I can't play after 9pm really as I live in an apartment! Working on getting a practice rail and level so I can have that benefit soon though!

#2034633 - 02/17/13 08:22 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
supersport Offline

Loc: Arkansas
Congratulations on your new piano. It looks very nice. I really like that music desk style too. They are nice sounding pianos.

Edited by supersport (02/17/13 08:23 AM)

#2034636 - 02/17/13 08:30 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Congrats and thanks for the pics!

#2034641 - 02/17/13 08:51 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Morodiene Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Can you use your DP for practicing after 9? Or did you sell that?

Also, what did you pay for the Essex? Was it new or used? It looks gorgeous!
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2034701 - 02/17/13 11:10 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Morodiene]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Originally Posted By: Morodiene
Can you use your DP for practicing after 9? Or did you sell that?

Also, what did you pay for the Essex? Was it new or used? It looks gorgeous!

thanks for the comments guys!

and with the digital I could use it any time of the day or night - with this piano I will stop around 9-10ish because I don't want to push it. I bought it brand new for $5788 +tax at Tom Lee - It was advertised for $6499 +tax but after negotiating I got it for the price I wanted.

#2034763 - 02/17/13 01:17 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ju5t1n-h
The only downside is I don't have a practice pedal,

If you had opted to get the Pearl River version of this piano

http://www.pearlriverusa.com/uprights.html

...you would have saved money and had your practice pedal! (See the 122S.)

Edited by Thrill Science (02/17/13 01:20 PM)

#2034775 - 02/17/13 01:29 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Thrill Science]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Originally Posted By: Thrill Science
If you had opted to get the Pearl River version of this piano,
you wouldn't have a piano which sounds like, or feels like, the Essex.

Also, your music would constantly be ending up on the floor.

(Sorry Thrill)

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2034791 - 02/17/13 02:15 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
The pearl river up sounds quiet different to Essex. More applies to Boston vs Kawai-completely different- almost opposite sounding piano.

Same applies to ritmuller.

#2034795 - 02/17/13 02:27 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Minnesota Marty]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Minnesota Marty
[quote=Thrill Science]

(Sorry Thrill)

You're right about the music on the floor!

But I'm wondering, ju5t1n-h, if the ability to play past 9:00 was important to you, why didn't you select an upright with a "practice pedal" or a piano like the Yamaha Silent Series that's a real piano with a digital overlay for headphone practicing? (And/or what was wrong with the Yamaha upright you replaced?)

Edited by Thrill Science (02/17/13 02:28 PM)

#2034912 - 02/17/13 06:34 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Minnesota Marty]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

If you had opted to get the Pearl River version of this piano,
you wouldn't have a piano which sounds like, or feels like, the Essex.

(Sorry Thrill)

Yes, the Essex sounds and feel nothing like a Pearl River, and it is also different from a Ritmüller. My Essex EUP123 has a practice pedal. The EUP123S lacks the practice pedal because it is targeted for schools, so the middle pedal does bass sustain.

Other differences between EUP123E and EUP123S is that the E has brass wheels instead of rubber ones. The top of the E has a hinge that lets you open half the lid. The E has the practice pedal whereas the S has bass sustain. The E has a fold down piece of wood for music. It is hung by three small pieces of brass hinge using tiny little screws. The S has a music desk that could handle a pile of books.

#2034945 - 02/17/13 07:38 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
RickG1 Offline

Loc: TX
Congrats on the new Essex!! It is lovely!

#2035006 - 02/17/13 09:44 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Thrill Science]
ju5t1n-h Offline

[quote=Thrill Science]

(Sorry Thrill)

You're right about the music on the floor!

But I'm wondering, ju5t1n-h, if the ability to play past 9:00 was important to you, why didn't you select an upright with a "practice pedal" or a piano like the Yamaha Silent Series that's a real piano with a digital overlay for headphone practicing? (And/or what was wrong with the Yamaha upright you replaced?)

playing past 9pm isn't actually a problem - I actually work overnights so after 9 I get ready changed and head off to work. I generally play 5pm to 9pm. There was nothing wrong with the Yamaha, although the keys were very short and it sounded clunky and just no where near the standard of this piano. I'd describe it as going from driving a Toyota Corolla to a Mercedes C Class. Although its not the S Class AMG (steinway) its still a Mercedes compared to the really small C109 Yamaha.

Also the S does have a stand inside the top so I can open the piano to make it even louder - although its not necessary in a small apartment to make it louder!

#2035030 - 02/17/13 10:51 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I can open the piano to make it even louder - although its not necessary in a small apartment to make it louder!

If your EUP123 is anything like mine, I would think you would need to make it quieter. It's loud even with all the lids closed. The soundboard is a bit too efficient. laugh

Since you put the piano in the corner of the room, it will be very loud.

#2035041 - 02/17/13 11:15 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: 4evrBeginR]
ju5t1n-h Offline

Originally Posted By: 4evrBeginR
I can open the piano to make it even louder - although its not necessary in a small apartment to make it louder!

If your EUP123 is anything like mine, I would think you would need to make it quieter. It's loud even with all the lids closed. The soundboard is a bit too efficient. laugh

Since you put the piano in the corner of the room, it will be very loud.

Yes!! you are right! compared to the yamaha I had, this piano sounds sooooo loud! Suppose thats due to the 48 1/2 inch soundbox!

#2035791 - 02/19/13 11:04 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
bengera Offline

Loc: ca
Beautiful, congrats and enjoy.

#2036019 - 02/19/13 05:44 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: Thrill Science]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
The only downside is I don't have a practice pedal,

If you had opted to get the Pearl River version of this piano

http://www.pearlriverusa.com/uprights.html

...you would have saved money and had your practice pedal! (See the 122S.)

And he would have a laminated soundboard rather than a tapered solid board. Among other things.

#2114616 - 07/08/13 11:37 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
neolson Offline

Beautiful!

I know this is an older thread from this year but I wanted to inquire about this piano and came across this thread; I didn't want to start a new thread on the subject.

We've looked at a few pianos over the years and now we're looking at this exact model, the Essex 123S, from Tom Lee music. I've seen some positive reviews and Essex originally wasn't a brand we were considering.

They have a showroom piano that is new, it's only been on the floor for two weeks. It sounds nice but probably needed some adjustment in the lower end. The advantage here is that the piano has already had one tuning and gets another in our home. But the dealer said the pianos we're well setup out of the box with an initial in home tuning, and that the choice was ours. I normally don't like purchasing items that have been demoed, but in this case I'm wondering if we should or do people buy them right from the warehouse? If a setup is being done in your home after it's delivered and then again awhile later, does it matter?

I should also point out we don't have much of an ear for piano. This is for our son who started conservatory last year. To our ears, the Essex sounded nice though, a warm sound, which we preferred over the other pianos they had in a similar size. I brought my friend that plays and in that range it was his choice.

Edited by neolson (07/08/13 11:49 AM)

#2114620 - 07/08/13 11:48 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
shaolin95 Offline

I played an Essex Grand recently and I liked the sound. Kind of a warmer sound compared to my piano before voicing. Bass was not that awesome though but was not too bad either. When it comes to instruments like this, I for sure want to try the one I am buying because you will find some instruments that are better to your ears than others even though they are supposed to be the same.
Just like when I was buying a violin. I tested several even from the same model and all had their own particular sound.
I am guessing your son will be testing the piano since that is the main person that must like it of course.

Good luck there! smile

*Baldwin Hamilton Studio '67 (gone)

*Young Chang Y150 (Del F design) (gone)

#2114622 - 07/08/13 11:52 AM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: shaolin95]
neolson Offline

Originally Posted By: shaolin95
I played an Essex Grand recently and I liked the sound. Kind of a warmer sound compared to my piano before voicing. Bass was not that awesome though but was not too bad either. When it comes to instruments like this, I for sure want to try the one I am buying because you will find some instruments that are better to your ears than others even though they are supposed to be the same.
Just like when I was buying a violin. I tested several even from the same model and all had their own particular sound.
I am guessing your son will be testing the piano since that is the main person that must like it of course.

Good luck there! smile

That makes sense. I wish we could compare it to another piano of the same model, they only have one of each model on the floor which makes it hard.

#2114628 - 07/08/13 12:04 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
Almaviva Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, Virginia
Very pretty piano, Justin! Thanks for the pictures.

By the way, you really should move her out of that corner if she is too loud.

Enjoy! thumb

Edited by Almaviva (07/08/13 12:07 PM)
Edit Reason: grammar

#2114872 - 07/08/13 08:27 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
panche23 Offline

Loc: Arizona/Calif
Cool looking piano, also that Fender guitar next to it.

#2115189 - 07/09/13 02:28 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
ju5t1n-h Offline

thanks guys - I love it... thats the only thing I can say. I love the sound, the look and the feel.. It is the most expensive thing that i've ever bought, but so worth it. I was too not looking for an essex, but when I sat down and played it, love at first sound, sounds corny, but it was!

#2115195 - 07/09/13 03:02 PM Re: Finally, she's here. My new piano :) (pics) [Re: ju5t1n-h]
neolson Offline

thanks guys - I love it... thats the only thing I can say. I love the sound, the look and the feel.. It is the most expensive thing that i've ever bought, but so worth it. I was too not looking for an essex, but when I sat down and played it, love at first sound, sounds corny, but it was!

Was it a floor model you picked up? Or did they ship you one from the warehouse? And was it from Tom Lee?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
156 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, Alex1, 88 Fingers Jeff, 44 invisible), 1812 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75506 Members
42 Forums
156138 Topics
2292843 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about finger reach!
by Plopsy
2 minutes 5 seconds ago
OK so a 700 pound grand piano walks into my house and...
by BrianDX
19 minutes 7 seconds ago
Digital Piano Sufficient for a Newbie?
by DancerJ
38 minutes 35 seconds ago
E.Tubin - "Ballade on a theme of Mart Saar"
by Svenno
47 minutes 14 seconds ago
What key signature are you?
by Saranoya
48 minutes 3 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission