2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
OP Offline
T
For you guys that play a Nord, are you able to distinguish the differences between the two sample sizes? If so, what are the differences you notice?

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
The XL samples are, I believe, fully mapped across the keyboard (rather than being stretched). So the XL sets have many more notes that are sampled. The other main difference is that the XL samples provide the string resonance across the entire keyboard whereas the L samples provide it only for the middle of the keyboard.

The XL samples sound/feel richer and fuller to me than the L samples, but I don't know how much of that is psychological. I've never done a direct comparison or tried distinguishing among them blind. My guess is that it would also depend on what kind of music you are playing. Furthermore, if you're playing in a band context, I think it would be much harder to hear the differences in the mix. If you're playing solo with isolation headphones on, it might be much easier to tell the difference. Also, pieces which use the sections of the keyboard which lack the string resonance may make the differences more evident than pieces that don't have that kind of range.

In any case, it's easy enough for you to swap out the sounds and see for yourself which sample best suits your needs. smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wasn't there a case recently with the latest Italian grand sample whereby folks preferred the L version to the XL version?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
James,
Really? I must have missed that. do you recall why they preferred that sample? Was it better in some way? or was there just not enough of a difference in sound to justify the increased size?

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
I don't remember the details, however I'm pretty sure it was discussed in the Italian Grand thread, either here on PW or over on the Nord User Forum.

I'm just about to go to bed, but will try to search for the thread tomorrow.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
V
V
It was on the Italian Grand thread here. Some people found that the XL sample had weird overtones when playing certain voicings I think.

I've encountered some strange (very subtle) metallic ringing with certain voicings from certain range as well when playing ItalinG-XL. Haven't tried if the L-size sample would be better

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
On first listen/installation I preferred the L over the XL. However this was late at night after a long day of a morning recording session/jingle, the afternoon of rehearsing with a vocalist for an hour and then a two hour gig in the evening. I don't think my ears were all that fresh... wink

The next morning I re-installed the XL Fazioli and compared the two side by side. I went with the XL...sounded fuller.

However since using the XL Fazioli since Christmas time, I've been going to it less as of late. While it's probably the most even of all the Nord piano samples, there's something about it that just doesn't "do it" for me, especially with bass & drums. Even with eq it sounds a little boxy or closed in. I find myself still going to the XL Yamaha Br Grand for the group playing and L Bosendorfer for the solo stuff. Actually I miss the XL on the Bosie, so when I get some time tomorrow I'm probably going to re-install the XL on the Bose and go back to the L on the Faz. There just isn't quite enough memory for XL on all 3 samples unfortunately.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I am one of those preferring the L (and even M) Fazioli over the XL. The recording of this piano has quite a bit of ambience, and for my taste the full samples add a bit too many resonances when playing with sustain pedal. With the M sample there is less of that in the bass and treble and I prefer it that way.

Of course, in general (and disregarding the pedaling) the XL samples provide more even playing as more (all?) keys are sampled individually.

Like Dave I prefer the Bösendorfer for most of my playing (with suitable EQ), it has more clarity and a mighty bass.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Maurus that's interesting. I may have to load them both in tonight and do a side by side comparison. I probably play the Bösendorfer sample the most, but I'm actually quite fond of the uprights. Love the Petrof and the Blue swede pianos. Also anxiously awaiting the yamaha U3 samples they teased us with at NAMM.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
T
OP Offline
T
Well a few days ago I loaded both the Bösendorfer and Fazioli as XL samples. I must say I am a fan of the Bösendorfer and that is what I typically play. It has a nice tone overall and the lows are great. Today I am going to add the Bösendorfer L sample so I can compare them back to back. It is nice to hear what guys think since my ear is not as trained as everyone else here. I always look forward to reading your inputs. :-)

NP2, Arturia Laboratory 61

Addictive Keys, Kawai EX Pro
Heil PR-40 Mic, Allen & Heath Mixer, Yamaha HS80
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I don't like the Bosendorfer very much - very nasal and whining in the upper mids. I also find the bass a bit overblown personally. Studio Grand 2 is better. But the Fazioli for me is head and shoulders above them all.

What this all demonstrates is that Nord is successfully catering to a much wider range of tastes than other manufacturers.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
EssBrace
Actually I don't disagree with you, but it's still one of my favorite sounds. I EQ the bass down a bit on the Bosendorfer sample, and I think i've raised the mid and trebble up a hair (saved, don't recall exactly what I did). In any case, with just a little tweaking it became absolutely gorgeous to me. That's why I love the nords, you have so many choices. There's this weird resonance in the steinway samples that make them unusable to me (once you hear it you can't unhear it, so if you like that sample you're probably better off not asking smile. But I'm not stuck with those samples. I've got a ton more to choose from, and I know I'll get even more as time goes on.

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
You know in certain bad rooms with funky acoustics, the Bosendorfer, even the XL, can sound pretty crappy. And other times, it's perfect for solo or accompanying a vocalist. So much depends on the room acoustics, where the speakers are placed, if there's a lot of audience noise/talking going on. A lot of variables.

Like I've said in the past , the Studio 2 still has my favorite tone out of all the Nord samples but, live, it just thins out too much for my taste with the bass & drums, especially on the top end and especially compared to the newer XL Br. Grand & Bose.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
You know in certain bad rooms with funky acoustics, the Bosendorfer, even the XL, can sound pretty crappy. And other times, it's perfect for solo or accompanying a vocalist. So much depends on the room acoustics, where the speakers are placed, if there's a lot of audience noise/talking going on. A lot of variables.

+1 !

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Faz in XL has my vote for solo playing and the Bright Grand Yamaha has my vote for cutting through live in a group setting.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission