Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#1167722 - 03/24/09 04:18 AM BachScholar - What do we think of him?
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Ignorant, pretentious and unfounded theories on a Richard Kastle scale? Or a refreshing and interesting re-evaluation of Bach's work? What do we think of him?

If anyone doesn't know who I'm talking about, search for his videos on Youtube. The one where he compares himself to a prophet is quite good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tRVudoNMLA

laugh

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1167730 - 03/24/09 05:12 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: debrucey]
Bart Kinlein Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Maryland
Best ignored.

#1167734 - 03/24/09 05:33 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: Bart Kinlein]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
A crank.

#1167746 - 03/24/09 06:29 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Phlebas Offline

Loc: New York City
Before the days of the Internet - YouTube, blogging, etc. - there were untold numbers of theories, opinions, "research"... that never saw the light of day, and rightly so.

Crackpots like BachScholar, and Richard Kastle would not have been heard from or about.

Now anyone with a tin hat, and a video camera can get "discussed," and "debated" about.

#1167797 - 03/24/09 09:03 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: Phlebas]
pianovirus Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
I agree with the previous posters on this particular "research". However, more generally, one should caution not to dismiss all unorthodox ideas immediately just because they are off the mainstream thinking. A quick and quite reliable indicator for me is the intensity and tone in which something is advertised. This is somehow common all across the field and including Kastle, BachScholar and the likes. Oddly this also happens even with people like Stephen Wolfram who have achieved something notable before (Mathematica) but then went nuts ("A new kind of science").
In contrast, people with really good ideas or achievements are often much more relaxed and do not promote them so aggressively. Mahler once was asked by a friend to do more for promoting his symphonies (which were much misunderstood in their mix of "high" and "low" art elements). His reply apparently was that he is quite confident that they will become better appreciated and understood over time, and "I don't need to live to see them becoming immortal".

#1168155 - 03/24/09 06:49 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: pianovirus]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
I'm dubious of anyone who says that their scientific theory came from divine intervention. BachScholar doesn't really explain a lot in his videos (and you have to pay for his essays, ahem). He also trails the comment strings on his vids in a very Richard Kastle/mikecaffey way.

#1168196 - 03/24/09 07:43 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: keyboardklutz
A crank.

Agreed. Yikes! sick

#1168213 - 03/24/09 08:16 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: Horowitzian]
LiszThalberg Offline
3000 Post Club Member

At least he can play pretty well. There are tons of people on YouTube that probably don't play piano making rants and bad comments on people's videos.

Matt

#1168245 - 03/24/09 09:39 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: LiszThalberg]
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member

That's true. One reason why I never read the comments.

#1168359 - 03/25/09 02:22 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: LiszThalberg]
keyboardklutz Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, UK (though if it's Aug...
Originally Posted By: Debussy20
At least he can play pretty well.
Notice he uses a stiff arm/wrist for accents when he should be fingers only. Whether modern or 18th century technique, the wrists should be light. Besides, reducing such a great work to its least important aspect is a nonsense, like discussing what hair gel Napoleon used.

#1174892 - 04/05/09 01:43 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: keyboardklutz]
Coolkid70 Offline

Loc: Irvine, CA
I know that this is a bit old, but I wanted to post some discussion on Cory Hall (BachScholar) by some academics.

https://lists.wu-wien.ac.at/pipermail/earlym-l/2008-December/008045.html

#1175093 - 04/05/09 07:43 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: Coolkid70]
jdhampton924 Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
Well I have heard worse bach, but the guy has a huge ego either way. That video was worth a laugh though with the new age music starting it off then I assume Bach.

The whole Abraham thing, reminded me of my 21st birthday.. haha

#1175761 - 04/06/09 08:22 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: jdhampton924]
djtoast Offline

Loc: Glasgow
I just watched a couple of his videos. Unless I'm missing something, he seems to be saying "if you play Bach's pieces at such a speed that they all take exactly one minute, then they're all the same length. Which proves that the correct tempo is that which makes them a minute long." (Or multiples therof, etc. Well I know I'm simplifying things but then so is he!)

I actually enjoyed his Goldbergs more than I expected to - although that's maybe more down to how Bach wrote 'em then how he played 'em. For instance, number 30 sounded a bit like a march - he could be more delicate with phrasing. And I can't help thinking that's rather sad, because his slightly mechanical approach probably stems from his fixation with tempo as the starting point for interpretation, rather than melody, harmonic progression etc. And his technique seems like it would be sufficient to lift him above that if it weren't hampered by his odd ideas.

And yes, the music that followed the new age, er, "moment" was Bach, from the Musical Offering, no?

Edited by djtoast (04/06/09 08:24 PM)

#2035072 - 02/18/13 01:13 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: debrucey]
chopinlover88 Offline

I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he plays with such stiff wrists? I notice the pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, sound very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

Edited by chopinlover88 (02/19/13 01:59 AM)

#2035075 - 02/18/13 01:28 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: chopinlover88]
carey Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Originally Posted By: chopinlover88
I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he played with such stiff wrists? I notice his pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, are very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

Apparently not.

And don't forget about keeping your arms relaxed as well.

I am impressed, however, by the amount of music BachScholar has memorized !!

#2035081 - 02/18/13 01:42 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: carey]
chopinlover88 Offline

Originally Posted By: carey
I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he played with such stiff wrists? I notice his pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, are very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

Apparently not.

And don't forget about keeping your arms relaxed as well.

I am impressed, however, by the amount of music BachScholar has memorized !!

thanks! that is pretty impressive.. I feel like he has reached a ceiling in his expressiveness.. but of course this is a very limited amt of experience talking.

#2035083 - 02/18/13 01:53 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: debrucey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
His video was removed. Can someone please explain to me his position? I have heard him play. His Chopin is dry and his Bach is decent. That's about all I can say. What's all this talk about him being a 'prophet'?

#2035086 - 02/18/13 02:07 AM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: debrucey]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I think he has more subscribers and views than he deserves.

Music is my best friend.

#2039891 - 02/26/13 09:57 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: chopinlover88]
UberB Offline

I know this is super old, but after watching some of his videos, Im confused on how he plays with such stiff wrists? I notice the pieces that require touch and character, like some of the chopin pieces, sound very empty and robotic. He has several degrees in music performance and Im just confused on how things are taught? I started piano lessons a year ago and my instructor wont let me play a note without rotating my wrists and having lots of wrist and hand flexibility. Is this not universal-ish?

It's because he's bad.

#2039895 - 02/26/13 10:14 PM Re: BachScholar - What do we think of him? [Re: debrucey]
jotur Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Santa Fe, NM
Whoa! One post by keyboardklutz and one by Phlebas before I realized this was an old thread! Nostalgia smile

Cathy

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
Our latest Issue is available now...
Piano News - Interesting & Fun Piano Related Newsletter! (free)
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
154 registered (36251, ajames, AndresD, aDino, Alex1, 44 invisible), 1739 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75584 Members
42 Forums
156282 Topics
2295188 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Some interesting finds in a museum visit today!
by LarryShone
25 minutes 58 seconds ago
Help with a Bluthner
by Classicalist
37 minutes 26 seconds ago
Yamaha DGX650 - looking for an alternative! Need advice
by Karinioza
Today at 11:51 AM
Piano oriented film soundtracks/scores.
by aDino
Today at 11:21 AM
Help with dynamics
by noobpianist90
Today at 03:53 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission