Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2034113 - 02/16/13 05:28 AM How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys?
sistimorgan Offline

? Made inside or outside the piano? I did was putting weight on the back of the key art and the leveling tool Davis and I had no right. Is it better to do it with a ruler?

(ad PTG 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
PTG 57th Annual Convention - Atlanta
#2034121 - 02/16/13 06:00 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
lluiscl Offline

Originally Posted By: moy12
? Made inside or outside the piano? I did was putting weight on the back of the key art and the leveling tool Davis and I had no right. Is it better to do it with a ruler?

Papering in the balance rail pin.
Use the tool for check desired height in dummies keys... and rule for fine/quick adjustment.

#2034126 - 02/16/13 06:34 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: lluiscl]
sistimorgan Offline

Originally Posted By: lluiscl

Papering in the balance rail pin.
Use the tool for check desired height in dummies keys... and rule for fine/quick adjustment.

Yes., I put paper washers, already knew. Do you do it inside or outside of the piano?

#2034127 - 02/16/13 06:50 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
lluiscl Offline

Outside. Inside you can do deep/aftertouch front rail...

#2034150 - 02/16/13 08:10 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
As a general rule, all finer regulation is best done in the piano with the stack on, that is, the action fully assembled and in playing position with cheekblocks in. The surface of the key bed never ever matches the surface of the bench.
For finer key levelling, the action can be drawn and tipped so that a cut paper punching can be placed under the cloth punching or a thin punching can be torn out as necessary.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2034155 - 02/16/13 08:32 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
sistimorgan Offline

What do you use as a weight to put on the back of the key and get the job? I put some books in the back of the key, but were not properly balanced.

#2034162 - 02/16/13 09:02 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I noticed that you said that you didn't get good results with a levelling tool. If you have ivory keys they can be dished where they are worn. A straightedge has traditionally been used. Some manufacturers specify a slight crown. The sense of touch is valuable, too. Sighting along keys using a strategically placed light also helps.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2034176 - 02/16/13 09:34 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
Greetings,
One of the most efficient ways to weight keys for leveling is the use of a long steel, threaded dowel with 3/4" ( 20 mm) washers on it. Use nuts on the end to keep it from falling apart. It will weigh about 10-15 lbs, (7 kilos). The washers need to be floppy loose,and when this is laid across the back of the keys, will evenly distribute its weight.
I usually use the stack,though. It doesn't need to be screwed down with all the screws, just enough to lift the hammers off the rests.

#2034198 - 02/16/13 10:20 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: Ed Foote]
sistimorgan Offline

Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
Greetings,
One of the most efficient ways to weight keys for leveling is the use of a long steel, threaded dowel with 3/4" ( 20 mm) washers on it. Use nuts on the end to keep it from falling apart. It will weigh about 10-15 lbs, (7 kilos). The washers need to be floppy loose,and when this is laid across the back of the keys, will evenly distribute its weight.
I usually use the stack,though. It doesn't need to be screwed down with all the screws, just enough to lift the hammers off the rests.

thank you very much for your help, but I find it hard to translate what you say, since I live in Spain. Please could you send a picture of this system? My email is moisescata12@hotmail.com . Thanks

Edited by moy12 (02/16/13 10:21 AM)

#2034324 - 02/16/13 04:03 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
Ed Foote Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Tennessee
[quote=Ed Foote]Greetings,
One of the most efficient ways to weight keys for leveling is the use of a long steel, threaded dowel with 3/4" ( 20 mm) washers on it. Use nuts on the end to keep it from falling apart.
thank you very much for your help, but I find it hard to translate what you say, since I live in Spain. Please could you send a picture of this system? My email is moisescata12@hotmail.com . Thanks
\
\

I don't use the system anymore, so have no picture. But, imagine a 48" threaded steel rod, (we call them "All-Thread" here).
put a nut on one end and lock it in place. Drop perhaps 200 washers of around 1" each over the rod. They should have a hole in them large enough so that the washer is really loose and wobbles around. When you put a nut on the other end, there should be an inch or so of free space so the washers are loosely held. Laid across the back of the keys, behind the capstans, the weight is disbursed very evenly and holds all the keys down at the back.
hope that helps.

#2034499 - 02/16/13 09:49 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
I think you should call a real piano technician to do this for you. Grand piano regulation is complex and interactive. Leveling the keys changes key dip as well as blow distance, after touch, checking etc etc. everything is connected - change one thing everything else changes as well.

I don't think it is helpful for technicians to advise in this kind of situation. Readers think that a few lines of internet advice can get them somewhere, while we all know that the only place it will get anyone is into trouble.

If someone is sincerely interested in getting into this kind of thing, there are books and other resources. A lot of background knowledge needs to be internalized before someone can embark on regulating a grand. Asking a few questions on an internet forum about technical "How-Do-I's" is not he way to go.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2034620 - 02/17/13 07:36 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: Ed Foote]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
Originally Posted By: Ed Foote
[quote=Ed Foote]Greetings,
One of the most efficient ways to weight keys for leveling is the use of a long steel, threaded dowel with 3/4" ( 20 mm) washers on it. Use nuts on the end to keep it from falling apart.
\
\

I don't use the system anymore, so have no picture. But, imagine a 48" threaded steel rod, (we call them "All-Thread" here).
put a nut on one end and lock it in place. Drop perhaps 200 washers of around 1" each over the rod. They should have a hole in them large enough so that the washer is really loose and wobbles around. When you put a nut on the other end, there should be an inch or so of free space so the washers are loosely held. Laid across the back of the keys, behind the capstans, the weight is disbursed very evenly and holds all the keys down at the back.
hope that helps.

Ed, do you actually prefer this tool to backcheck clip-on weights?

#2034711 - 02/17/13 11:29 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: James Carney]
Dan Casdorph Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
To the original poster:

The piano supply houses have clip on weights to hold the keys down if you have the stack off.
All pianos are bald ones.

#2034717 - 02/17/13 11:40 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: James Carney]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
The advantage to the threaded rod tool is that it takes a lot less time to put on, and you avoid the problem of the clip-on leads falling off while you're reaching in. That said, I use the clip-ons, only because I haven't taken the time to make the rod gizmo.

#2034721 - 02/17/13 11:49 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
That's probably not the only clip on device you have, Zeno

#2034802 - 02/17/13 02:37 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: BoseEric]
Zeno Wood Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
?

#2034822 - 02/17/13 03:25 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: Zeno Wood]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Zeno Wood
?

Same here…. I don't get that one either...

I don’t have the clip-ons but the older weights with the carpet tacks embedded. With the clip-ons can they not be bent slightly so the clip has to be opened a little for attachment? That way they would not slip so much.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2034833 - 02/17/13 03:52 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
James Carney Offline

Loc: new york city
I've borrowed another tech's weights for the last 10 or so regulations I've done and they work great - maybe 2 or 3 slipped off in 10 jobs, no big deal. And yes, the clips seem to fit a variety of backchecks. I also haven't had to use too many slit punchings once the stack goes back on for the final pass, which has been nice.

I guess I just don't want to spend $90. on lead, so if the steel rod works as well as backcheck weights that would be a nice option.

#2035100 - 02/18/13 03:00 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
one have to weight the washers to obtain a similar weight as the lead, I am unsure washers are heavy enough, unless they are so large they would fall of the keys.

#2035118 - 02/18/13 05:11 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

In theory, we are told the lead approximates the weight of the action. In practice, the washers and rod work just as well. It probably works out at 4-5 big washers per key. That's plenty.

All refinements are done with the action fully assembled and sitting in place on the Keybed anyway.

Edited by rxd (02/18/13 05:15 AM)

Eschew obfuscation.

#2035300 - 02/18/13 02:07 PM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
Olek Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
I tested without much success (uneven weight) did you atually use such a goodie ? Indeed the final is done in the piano, but it is necessary to do a basic key dressing when the keys are rebushed/ repaired.

It is fast to use sliced punchings if one does not allow "holes" to install.

#2035652 - 02/19/13 03:52 AM Re: How do I adjust the height of grand piano keys? [Re: sistimorgan]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Try largest thinner washers with small holes and smaller spindle. worked for me. Correct. it's not perfectly even. It works just as well as any other method. I found it faster than fiddlng with clipons. Some fine adjustment is necessary with everything fully assembled and in place. Precise weight doesn't seem important to the tool being fit for purpose. Lead weights arent precise either.

There must be thousands of these tools of one description or another in workshops throughout the 'States. I've used a few of them myself in my wandervogel. (learning travels). Surely they can't all be wrong?

Eschew obfuscation.

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
U.S. Treasury Auctioning Steinway Art Case Concert Grand
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
123 registered (36251, Alex1, acortot, a-z0-9, 42 invisible), 1620 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75487 Members
42 Forums
156073 Topics
2291915 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"Rhodes" sound -- variation with volume?
by Charles Cohen
Today at 08:59 PM
That last 10%
by gooddog
Today at 08:24 PM
Hamelin Review from the Mannes Keyboard program in NYC
by Serge Marinkovic
Today at 08:03 PM
Recommend me some Shostakovich
by TwoSnowflakes
Today at 07:43 PM
Kristian Bezuidenhout on Mozart and his piano music
by bennevis
Today at 05:05 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission