2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Well its 2 AM, I'm hopped up on double espressos and packing up for my second funeral of a close relative this month. It has been a real roller-coaster. I'm not sure when my next time will be to post some comments, so I want to get some out now. I've listened to everybody's entry at least once, and am just stunned by both the talent and the advancement that is evident.

As usual, I will start where I think I might have something useful to say. I so wish that I had more to contribute to the classical players other than awe...

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues (to do)

You are really getting the hang of it. It is going to be swingin’ really soon if you keep it up!

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round

This piece was a lot of Fun. You’re definitely getting the bass working for you. This is a style where you either keep it up and bring in many new bass patterns, or it will fade away. If you commit to this solo style there is a lot that you can do with it!

13. Peyton - After All

I like how this is so hard to characterize. It ought to be new age, but also has little R&B-ish licks, parts that sound like jazz with an eastern flavor. Love the big runs in there. Very cool

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D

Truly gorgeous, Ed. A word to the wise, no need to tell anyone what you are not playing. I doubt that Ellington would even know. People say that most famous players would never recognize their own transcriptions, nor be able to play them the same way again.

I went back through your whole catalog of recital performances, and I must say that I just love all of your choices! I believe that every single one of them is somewhere on my learn it list.

To me, this was by far your most tasteful and elegant treatment. Just really good. Now I am obsessed with finding this transcription.

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You

I don't know what to say about this, other than I loved it. You had such a wonderful touch to this that it really resonated.

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon

really nice job. I like the use of octaves throughout. It adds a lot!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya

Another song. Another masterpiece in the making. Maya, just a beautiful composition. Sigh. Please explain to me why you are not scoring movies!?

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley.

I definitely do catch the strumming sense of the rhythm on Shadow of your Smile. A lot of nice runs in there too!

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight

I Love your little excursions from "inside" to “outside” soloing. It is so tasteful when it is not obvious that it is happening. You've generated –lots- of rhythmic excitement with those runs towards the end of the solo. Really great, and inspirational for me.

45. Copper - Greensleeves

Love this song. It can be played so many ways. Keep up the progress

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind

A soulful performance that hit my emotional mood just right. I had to listen to it twice. Love the reverb on this one, and the solo in the middle - well done!

52. Allard - To Zanarkand

Can’t believe you have this sound after 1yr and 3 mos! Your finger control use of space and dynamics seems amazing.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are

It is pretty great that you have so much chord fullness and richness in what you are playing after only 11 months. This is what we call a “one take wonder.” It is kind of hard to hear the recording, the volume definitely needs to come up. If you listen to the heat that the rest of these cats are bringin’ on these recitals, my major recommendation would be to make several recordings to get your volume levels where you want them, and get the jitters out of the first few takes.

The Melody Never Lies

Schimmel 120J

Learning To Play Jazz Piano After Age 50+
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Thank you for the comments. The biggest thank you's go to the organizers, especially Monica K aka PianoMonica on YouTube, who is also quite the pianist.

As always, I am humbled when I listen to the many marvelous performances. Just as humbling are all those that take the considerable time and energy to listen, and write comments.

I don't have much intelligent to say, other than well done everyone, keep up the good work. You all amaze me. The quality is quite high, and I tend to be finicky when listening to recorded music (I much prefer live music.)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks to everyone who has commented on my piece so far.

Originally Posted by Monica K.

09 – SwissMs: ...You also get a medal for bravery, for playing Bach.
Believe me, by the time I managed to get a good take, I felt like I earned one. Thanks for reviewing!

Originally Posted by Saranoya
Ah, Bach! I tend, usually, to think of Bach's keyboard music as dry and a bit soulless...
I am glad my rendition gave you a different feel and you found it pleasing. It was hard to get this piece sound musical! Thanks!

Originally Posted by ATallGuyNH
...The fact that you were able to play something this intricate coming from where you were a few months ago is really impressive.
Thankyou! This piece was a real confidence builder.

Originally Posted by Casinitaly
... I watched the video and really enjoyed watching the fluidity of your performance...
Wow! Thanks! Now if my teacher would just say that...

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
...Well done and I'm proud of your amazing quick recovery.
Thanks! It is good to be back to piano.

Originally Posted by BillM
...You give this kind of a jazzy, jaunty feel that I really like.
I am glad you liked it! Jazzy Bach- I like the sound of that!

Originally Posted by jotur
I could have been in a cathedral.
That is the feeling I was going for! Thank you!

Originally Posted by AimeeO
...Great job voicing...
Thank you very much. Voicing took a lot of work.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Round 2 -- working from the computer this time, and getting both the videos and the mp3s.

What a great collection! and I'm only about half way through.

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor I liked the pace – it sounded fine to me. How much more slowly does your teacher want you to play it? I thought you were very even in the pace throughout and I know how tricky it can be to keep the voices running, even though the baroque pieces I’ve played are much simpler! I hope you can find a way to get more comfortable and fluid with the trills – that would give you great satisfaction and increase the listening pleasure factor on a piece that is –as is- a significant achievement.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 I really Grieg, and love to hear pieces of his that are new-to-me! I think it is quite neat that you’ve got your own theme going in consecutive recitals. I enjoyed the change in tempo and mood throughout this piece , -nicely captured!

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 Thanks for the background story on your selected piece. To date I haven’t listened to a lot of Schubert – This music paints a picture – to me it seems like a court scene- folks in elaborate costume mingling, bowing, curtsying, with underlying tensions of plots and conspiracies under the polite exteriors. I always love listening to music that takes my imagination on a little voyage! Thank you for the listening treat!

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D So…Now I know Duke Ellington’s full name. Not being familiar with the piece you started from, I can only say that what you did play, howevermuch it resembles the original or not, was a very pleasant bit of music. Loved the rippling notes- and the range you covered on the keyboard. Good stuff!

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor You really are doing some lovely inventions! This is beautiful – rich, flowing, dynamic—it makes me think of country landscapes, fields, forests, rivers and streams, horses galloping, eagles flying – you have some lovely contrasts of delicacy and richness. How exciting to be able to create music like this. Like your other pieces, there is tremendous energy in your work and it is really quite thrilling to hear. Complimenti!

19. Jake S - Fur Elise How nice that you have memories of your Dad playing this piece. Maybe it is a piece that “everyone” plays, but it is not played well by everyone, that’s for sure! With a year of playing under your fingertips you’ve done more than just a respectable job on this and I hope you’re feeling pleased with your efforts! Very nicely played indeed.

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon I love this piece and have been working on it a bit myself but haven’t reached a satisfactory level yet. I see you’re working with a lead sheet – another challenge I haven’t been able to meet! You’ve really inspired me Serge! (I liked your “band” too) What a treat to hear your performance!

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living ooooh, this is dark and mysterious isn’t it? You’ve done a lovely job with the dynamics to highlight mood and the feeling of “light” or lack of it in this piece. Well done!

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam I went to the video first and was quite puzzled about where the piano was  oops. Interesting video though. I liked your piano version better  - I am glad I made the mistake, it gave me a chance to understand what you were working from. I think you did an excellent job. There was a bit of a hiss in your recording that sounded like running water – if you could find a way to eliminate that for your next recording it would really let us hear the beauty of your playing more clearly.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio I LOVE this little piece. I’ve played it too, and yes, it is a bit tricky – I started smiling as soon as I heard the first notes and didn’t stop til the end. Charming! Well done! Beautiful delicacy and even-ness.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Batch 3!
I'm having quite a musical feast this Sunday morning!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya Loved the peacefulness of Another Song – even though it is only 10.30 in the morning here, I’m mellowing out. As for Maya – how wonderful to have written a song to celebrate her birth – it is full of hope and joy and love and wonder. I hope you play it often and often for her! Both pieces were pure pleasure to listen to - and Maya is beautiful!

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow I’ve been waiting to hear this – after the talk in AOTW, - and I’m not disappointed. I had an image of a ground hog lumbering down a path, moving out of shadow into the sunlight. Tiptoe-ing, dancing, hesitating, -

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major Well, if this is what you can do when you haven’t been practicing all that much, I can’t wait to hear what you do when you DO practice regularly! This was wonderful.
This is music to sooth the heart and soul. Thank you so much for this.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia Another new piece of music and composer for me. I can see why you like this piece. The difference phases it moves through seem to tell a wistful, thoughtful story. There is a hint of bittersweetness. Another piece that feeds the spirit. Lovely playing indeed. Thank you.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 More Bach! I love it. It is hard to have too much Bach, isn’t it? I very much enjoyed your playing – with and without the pedal smile I think the second version, without the pedal sounds “familiar” in terms of what I expect for Bach, but there is a charm to the first version that is undeniable. Lovely listening experience.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . Peter, sounds like you’ve been through something pretty difficult recently. I liked the distinct voices in your piece, and smiled at the waves at the end. Though you talk about the sense of loss, bereavement and regret, I can’t help but hear notes of optimism and moving forward, toward a brighter place in this. Beautiful music.

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 More Chopin! Marybee, I am enchanted with your performance! I love this Waltz and it is just delightful to hear how well you play it. You are really developing a wonderful repertoire – it is a joy to hear how much you have matured musically in what seems like the blink of an eye. You inspire me! A wonderful dream you shared with your son, and a dream come true! Maybe in 20 years I’ll be playing it too!

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Ben how can you call yourself a shlub? Seriously. I bet your wife is delighted with her song! I enjoyed this, especially about half way through where the bass started “rockin’” a bit more. Most enjoyable!

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement wow. You really “get” Haydn. I have to say I’m really glad that we write the number of years experience, otherwise I’d be intimidated beyond belief! I’m really happy that we have Adult “ahem” beginners such as yourself to play for us. If there are flaws, I certainly can’t hear them. I am just delighted as I sit here listening to the notes tripping gently off your fingertips. Wonderful!

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre Yah, Moms have to say they like our stuff, but I know you’ll be getting the attention of the die-hard Einaudi fans here! Ombre means “shadows” in Italian. This gives me the idea of watching the shadows of leafy trees dance over the ground as the wind gently stirs the branches. Nicely played beechcraft!

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 Ok, now that’s the second time I’ve seen you comment on your age…Pretty soon I’m going to ask for a specific number! I appreciated all the notes you added to your submission – I like having an idea of what I should listen to.
I loved the crystal tinkles of the trills – the charming dream-like quality of the music – I wonder if it is every danced as a ballet – don’t you think it would work beautifully? You really know how to make your piano sing delightfully. You make it sound effortless, but we all know how much work goes into making it sound so. Complimenti, e grazie mille.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf Debussy is always an interesting composer to listen to. I am pretty sure this is the first time I’ve heard this piece. You can hear the imminent shift from the one style of music into a more modern voice – nicely played indeed, you really caught the spirit of the music.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One I was a bit nervous when I read “one of Monk’s more obscure works”….:) This was certainly more “mainstream” in comparison to some of his pieces you’ve played! (I confess, easier for me to relate to!) Nicely played!

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 Well, if this is what you can do when you don’t feel well – please let us hear you again when you are feeling top notch! I know you are not completely satisfied with this, but from my perspective it is really lovely and very enjoyable. Grazie mille e complimenti bella!

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. Good stuff! – are you ready to play in a piano bar near home? Love the rippling notes – very poetic renditions of two really great pieces. I don’t think I spotted where you did your key shift – but I did love your bass-line work. I think your performance is really wonderful in these pieces – the sound is lush, rich, full. A complete pleasure to listen to. (lovely cascade at the end there! Wow)

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight and here we are with the Jazzwee ensemble. Love it. I am ready to get up and dance. I picture a sea-side spot – big terrace overlooking the water – perhaps along the Amalfi coast? – Marble floors, evening dress, sparkling chandeliers and sparkling wine – total class – delightful music, delightful dreams!

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F Well, if this is what you can do in a bar, with all the distractions and concerns about folks coming in and making a racket – my hat is off to you and I can’t wait to see what you bring us when you have your own piano set up in your home! It is a sweet piece of music and the background noises just add an interesting dimension to the listening experience. Well done!

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 This is one of my favourite Chopin pieces. I’ve worked at playing it but haven’t managed to get it up to anything like tempo yet. It was a joy to hear you playing it. I’ve been told that it was one of Chopin’s favourites too and he liked to play it for his friends! You really have captured the Chopin spirit in your performance. Well done.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' Sorry to hear about the problems your cat has been having health-wise. It is not easy to deal with a little friend being very ill. Your efforts on this piece are obvious – you’ve presented us with a performance that is really a pleasure to hear. I don’t know this music – but you’ve made me curious enough to go an do more research on it! Thank you very much!

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 Sam, that was wonderful! I’m working on my first Schumann now, and it is really exciting to hear a more advanced player performing a much more sophisticated and challenging piece. You say you missed a lot of notes…well, to my ear they weren’t obvious. I liked the contrast of the heavy bass between the lighter passages. Thanks for the history behind the piece, it is always interesting to get the “scoop” and fit the music into a context of what was happening in the composer’s life when it was written. (oh, and may I have my gold star please? smile )

[Linked Image]

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
47. PianoStudent88
piece: Aram Khachaturian: No Walk Today
technical:
clipping: no
balance L/R : ok (but mono recording)
noise: yes, white noise, pedal clicking, someone working in background
bass: little (not bass notes in the piece)
depth of field: ok (but mono recording)
piano sound: ok

musical:
overall impression, like: Nice piece. well played. Good use of pedal (I suppose they are written out and played as indicated?). Dynamics work nice. The staccato run sticks out too much, seems you play it too loud. Maybe you can make it a bit softer to better fit the rest.
Overall increase in speed, I think this was not intended?
Maybe you can bring out that melody just a little more. Nice dynamics particularly between 0:30 and 1:00.
Phrasing: overall clear. The more detailed phrasings and measures are sometimes less clear, eg in the staccato run and the end (after 1:25).
rubato, overall speed changes: gradually faster, a few slowdowns. The slowdowns are nice, the overall speedup makes less sense to me.
Dynamics: yes, nice
articulation: most with pedal, staccato run without.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth.
A very sensitive and emotional performance. You have a light touch and produced a lovely interpretation of this beautiful piece.

Are you playing standing up in the video? This is an interesting piece and you do a fine job with the varied dynamics. I listened to both versions and prefer the MP3 done on the digital – the piano in the video sounded harsh and slightly out of tune to my ears. Both were well played.

I was looking forward to hearing this one as I’m a big Billy Joel fan. I don’t think I’ve heard this one done as an instrumental before but it worked well. You have captured the mood of the piece nicely and took your time with this pretty melody.

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G
Nice job on this one. You do a good job of maintaining the tempo throughout the faster passages. A very enjoyable listen.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning

Hands down, this has to be the best piece I have ever heard on these PW recitals. The music is very soothing and it has great harmonics and a lovely melody. The performance is flawless and on top of that, this is an ORIGINAL piece! The fact that it is dedicated to our late PW member Apple is very touching.

Last edited by Amaruk; 02/17/13 11:41 AM.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Final batch!
wow... what a wonderful day I've been having!

45. Copper - Greensleeves An all-time favourite of mine. Lovely arrangement and very well played!

46. Kenjazz - My Romance Romantic indeed, just the right kind of music to cozy up with. Poetry. I liked your "back-up guys" too – beautiful mellow music, which I greatly enjoyed.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today Interesting piece – it was very clear that you’d worked on the dynamics. I think it is really neat that you are planning to present us with all the works in this collections. Well done!

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) –There is a definite majesty to this work and you have really given voice to the different elements of the dark, mysterious parts, as well as the lighter dream-like sequences. This is another piece that I can easily envisage as a ballet. Lovely performance!

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 That was quite something! 3+ years? I’m very impressed. I watched the video and enjoyed watching your hands, and the cross over. I really enjoyed your performance – thank you for introducing me to another work I was unfamiliar with.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind Wonderful Bill. Mellow, rich, full and haunting. I could listen to you play and sing all day. Your version definitely calls to mind Ray Charles. Bravissimo!

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. This is simply beautiful – you’ve really got the right touch for Chopin – I enjoyed your performance tremendously! Thank you for the treat!

52. Allard - To Zanarkand I chose to watch the video – nice piano! Poetic music too. I think your performance is spectacular for the amount of time you’ve been playing!

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew What an interesting idea – the music is really beautiful and it must be very satisfying to have worked on the transposition from harp to piano. I think you did a super job with both the arrangements and the performance. The finale was particularly pretty! Well done!

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are The long awaited Billy Joel piece! Did your wife like it?? I certainly hope so! I am particularly impressed that you were able to “cobble together” different arrangements. This piece has been a favourite of mine since…um, well, since it was released! You took me on a wonderful walk down memory lane! Definitely played in a romantic voice and with feeling. Thank you so much for this! Complimenti!

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G I’ve been looking forward to hearing this since I saw your submission on the list! I worked on this with my teacher last year but never got it up to polished performance level. You did very well with keeping up the tempo and excellent working through the really tough parts. I particularly enjoyed the second part. I think it is more fun to play than the first part, especially the rippling expanded chords. I never even came close to playing it this well – you’ve inspired me to give it another try! Thank you so much.

And that brings me to the end of another marvelous recital.
Thank you so much to everyone who contributed – I heard new music, original compositions, much beloved music, golden oldies, and best of all, performances from those I have come to consider good friends and piano buddies.

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie

Loved it! I like that how you slowed it down here. I could not spot any problems so to me this is very error free take… A great performance as always Inlanding!!

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755
Rare sheet music? It sounds like I have heard this piece many times before but I am sure I am confusing it with something else. Great playing here as this sounds like a very hard piece to master this well!

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4
This piece I am very familiar with and I know what you mean that it sounds (and looks) easy. Loved your rendition of it. Great recording too!

My piano channel on YouTube: Link

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
And some thank-yous:

Monica and Saranoya - so glad you enjoyed the piece!

Monica, I'm also pleased with the way the camera delivers good sound! Saranoya, yes, the piano could use a tune up, but I couldn't get it done before the recital - and I chose to go with it rather than the digital because the acoustic just knocks the socks of the digital for this kind of music!

ATallGuyNH -wow - I feel like I have my own fan club! Thanks for such an enthusiastic response!

SwissMS - Thanks! The cascades were one of the best parts of learning this piece!

Mr. Super-Hunky - I think you invented a new word flarp'! I'm delighted you enjoy my "fun stuff" smile

BillM - Your reply delighted me! I think it is really wonderful that you remember other submissions well enough to say this one is your favourite!

Groucho Marx Thanks so much - you are quite right about getting more dynamics in - especially at the end....I am working on it! Glad you liked it as it was though!

Jotur...the epitome of cool? wow. Thank you!

AimeeO Thanks, I do feel I'm making some progress in developing musicality!Nice to see it noticed.

KenJazz So glad you had fun with listening - and thank you so much for the encouragement. I do plan to continue with this genre, it is such a kick playing - and so NOT strssful compared to the classics.

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Glen- Very nicely played. You have a great feeling for the piece. (I enjoyed watching your youtube.)

Sinophilia- Only 11 months? Fantastic! I really had fun listening.

SwissMs- I always look forward to any Bach on these recitals. You did not disappoint! It's nice to hear how Bach has helped you regain some of that lost dexterity. (Watching you play one would never know you ever had a problem).

Casinitaly- I'm really enjoying these youtube videos.. Cheryl, It's fun to watch you do those little crossovers. A really neat piece and you do it so well.

Amaruk- Nice. Even better knowing that you transcribed it. I really like your editing on the youtube. I noticed that you had headphones on for the right to left shot. Did you use two cameras or perhaps replace the camera go back and overdub?

Riddler- I always enjoy your playing Ed. I just sat back with my coffee and relaxed listening. Wonderful.

Marybee- this is one of my favorite Chopin waltzes. It does just "swirl". I loved listening to you play.

BenPiano- Great Ben! I bet your wife loved it.

Farmgirl- Well done. Especially considering how poorly you have been feeling.

KenJazz- What a great version. Nice editing (or what ever it is called) too. The drums and bass are very tasteful. Just wonderful playing.

Bill- Bill, I can't believe you haven't done this before. It's so "you". Hey, I don't think you need so much reverb. I always love your voice and it seems to get in the way a bit.

GrauchoM- Wow. Very impressive especially considering you have only been playing 3 years. That is just great playing. Blew me away.

A
A
07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues
Frankie and Johnnie are swinging! Reminds me that I really need to start practising the blues song to play duet with my sister - I'm so bad at the genre. You, on the other hand, seem to be doing fine.

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
Music without pedal can sound a little empty, but you play it so well.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936
Kein tag ohne Bach! So good to hear you recovered and managed all these difficulties.

A fun piece. I doubt the effectiveness of that bass sneaking at the start, but as the song comes along it makes more sense and I feel that brick wall at my back while I peer around the corner and sneak up to the piano.

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor
As has been noted before, you can hear every glitch with this kind of music. Trills need work; without your description I wouldn't even have recognized them as such.

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf'
Aww, it's so short frown

13. Peyton - After All
The melody comes in a bit too fast compared to the opening. Very nice how soft you keep those bass notes.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12
The hesitations and cut-off notes in the melody at some points make for a bit of a weird waltz to dance to, but it does give something of an ancient feel to it.

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6
The squeaky pedal is really audible and distracts from the beautiful music you play, but it probably annoys yourself more than any of us listening.

Don't know the original, so everything you changed, cheated, or whatever you want to call it, works fine smile

New age music may not be that difficult technically, but it's so beautiful. Your piano has a wonderful sound.

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor
It always amazes me how people can just sit down and improvise a song. Well done.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise
Happy piano anniversary wink Look what you've done; now I'm trying my hand at Für Elise too and you just nail the part that seems too hard to me (first intermezzo).

Excellent background music for a nice dinner or reception. Hm, maybe at my friend's wedding next month. His lady is a rocket scientist. Flying the the Moon would be appropriate. Can I have the pianist in that box as well?

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living
This could be the soundtrack for a game and... oh, it's from a movie? Cool.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us
I must say I don't really like the piano's sound, especially the high notes. Or is it from recording? Something's not right with the sound. It's not your playing; your song is quite nice.

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam
Nope, never heard of this song. The recording quality doesn't do right to your playing. Too much noise.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio
I can imagine how hard it was to get this one right. A true Knight of the Order of the Red Dot!

Another Song seems like a fine name for a jazzy tune, honestly. It's at least as descriptive as something like "Adagio in G." Happy birthday to Maya and belated congratulations becoming a grandparent. Here's hoping the child will be as beautiful as your song.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Just a General Thankyou to you all and the comments coming my way. Have to admit I haven`t had a bad time; was just playing around with the deep chords on my piano then I thought of Dad who died nearly 2 yrs ago now. Not the esiest guy to get on with, (I`m no different lol) I guess it became more a prayer. . . .
So there! Now then you guys; The General has spoken.

"Tea break over - Get BACK to your pianos!"

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
A
A
26. Sand Tiger - Shadow
This is very different from other the other recital pieces. I like what you're doing.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major
Didn't Weiyan play this one recently in one of the monthly piano bars? You play it just as well. Maybe too much pedal.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia
Very soothing. Which is kinda bad, because I need to stay awake and listen to many more recital pieces tonight.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4
Uhm... I didn't notice a difference between the two versions. Were there even two? The whole thing sounded so nice I didn't notice.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .
The piano and strings are very nice. I thought the non-piano melody voice sounded rather harsh.

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2
Your playing here gives hope to every one of us with similar dreams. One day, even I can play such beautiful music! Thank you for sharing.

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You
Nope, can't understand your mumbling laugh Or rather, your voice is too soft compared to the piano. Nothing a little technology can't fix. Nice song.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement
Don't worry, it's not boring! Haydn may not be the style I'd like to play, but listening, sure. It sounds difficult.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
You should be pleased for sure! This is very easy on the ears.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My first batch offers nothing but praise and gratitude.

I find myself continuing to make the same comments over and over for each of these performances. You are all well able to play the material you've chosen to present and play it well. You've brought something of yourselves and as I see many of your names in the forums and earlier recitals it builds a picture over time that enhances the listening pleasure. Many of you have selected material, many of them gems, that I would not otherwise try to find the time for. I'm grateful for these pieces to enrich my journey to and from work for the next few weeks. Thank you.

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning
A touching gesture. Kudos!

We don't often hear Massenet on piano. This is a welcome change. Your contributions to the piano bars have generated an impression of you and your personality comes through in this piece. You make it yours.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755
Well chosen and well played. It's nice to hear a Romantic offering from this man. I hope this doesn't breach the 'no technical feedback' request.

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf'
Another wonderful piece of music I wouldn't have gone out my way to hear but have profited from. Thank you for this.

13. Peyton - After All
There are some cool rhythmic patterns here, like 2:22 and it's repeat at 3:39. I love it. The beat isn't easy to follow around the two minute mark but the overall effect is really enjoyable.

Another piece I wouldn't have sought but am glad to have found.

Very experienced fingers capitalising on and bringing out the best of that Roland sound.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia
Another well chosen piece that hits the heart and would draw buckets of tears at the end of a romantic movie.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf
Debussy by ear! I wonder how much is you and how much is the intermediary but there is experience coming through them anyway.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight
You can't knock a live performance but o, how easy you make it sound. Just reward for the hours of sheer dedication and hard work you've put in.

46. Kenjazz - My Romance
Very romantic, Ken. A nice easy swing with a classic jazz touch showing more years of attentive listening is enough to overcome a shorter time playing.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12
You have captured the spirit of this piece and have both the ear to pick out weaknesses and the technique to fix them. This piece needs little more than time and maturation.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew
And another rewarding piece I wouldn't have heard anywhere else.

06. CarlosCC - Julia
You both continue to shine in this sphere and demonstrate that you have all the technique you need for this music. Very accomplished, soothing and easy to listen to.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley.
A couple of classics there and handled with ease.

A very polished sound and restrained tempo.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .
Interesting use of timbre but fine finished sound and overall presentation.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind
Another classic with a tasteful interpretation. You keep 'em coming, Bill. Roll on.

Those that have used their own composition or arrangement have my admiration and respect but you have all contributed more than just your playing. Each of these recordings can stand side by side with what we hear every day from professional sources and they need no excuses for being amateur.

And with some extra comments:

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1
Welcome to the recitals. This is a favourite of mine also and I have slated this loosely for this time next year myself. This piece is not above you and you play it with wonderful passion and an awareness of its expanse yet with the restraint needed to allow improvements to work their way in over time. You exude Chopin through it and I can't even tell you how many times I've listened appreciatively to this recording already. Fabulous. Thank you.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement
One of the wonderful things about Haydn is his rhythmic diversity. It's engaging and the difficulties practically beckon you to tangle with them. You're quite right, too, about the delicacy. It's quite clear from the recording that you're having a ball playing this piece and your enthusiasm is infectious.

Playing Mozart needs a perfect touch and some divine inspiration and the breathtaking, elemental force of Beethoven requires a technique developed from hard graft. Clementi needs double thirds - I think you have them or you don't; after all these years my aren't improving enough for his work. But Haydn just needs playing with a joy for life and engagement with the music. You don't "work" at Haydn, you just smile and try again. I can sense you've done a lot of smiling with this piece.

Well done and thank you. I've smiled too.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4
I learnt this myself last summer (and from the same source) and am really enjoying listening to both your versions. Unfortunately I can't offer an opinion on which is better. I experiment with Bach a lot myself and can play with a Romanticism he'd not have known. I would keep both going and allow for the addition of a third.

Thanks, everyone.

Richard
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Another wonderful recital!

Picking some recordings more or less at random to comment on:

Nicely done, Glen. It felt downright elegiac, which I suppose is the best one can say for this piece!

Isn't this a beautiful piece? You play with wonderful expression and feeling!

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1
Very impressive!! It started out simply enough, but quickly into a much more complex piece. Did you memorize the entire thing? In any case, I wish I could play that smoothly and expressively, especially the left hand stuff. Well done!

Wonderful! They say these Bach pieces are great for developing hand independence, and I can see why. I thought you did especially well on the turns and the intricate left hand phrases that occur here and there. Nice work overall!!

Very enjoybable to listen to, and I'm sure it was fun to learn. I was quite impressed by the RH/LH interactions.

13. Peyton - After All
Wow, that was spectacular! Those left hand patterns were especially cool - it's great that you can execute them, but even more impressive that you created them and integrated them so well into the piece. Let me give you fair warning about your snazzy runs - I am into transcribing runs these days (it's actually fun), and I have transcribed several of yours and figured out the best fingering for me. Some day, Peyton, when you least expect it, and with no warning whatsoever, you are going to hear them again!!! You'll be saying - hey, this guy's stealin' my stuff!! I'll be saying - hey, how do you expect me to learn if I don't steal from other guys?

More later.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Ed, do me a favor and when you transcribe those runs and play them back.... give me the right fingering will you? smile

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My second batch of comments.

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
The melody _can_ go slower but does need to be lifted more where it shares the same register as the accompaniment. Melodies don't have a set speed. They have different speeds when played on different instruments or with different touches or timbres. This is a song without words and it must sing. The accompaniment must accompany and as soon as it gets distracting the melody must glare at it with the look of a coloratura whose pianist is getting above himself. With only three years it's a tough ask but once you get the balance right between the 'singer' and the 'band' when playing slowly you can develop the speed until it feels right and your playing has no issue here with the speed.

It would have been nice to get this in the themed recital - I wouldn't have an issue with duplicates or missing pieces but it's not my project. Thanks for letting us enjoy it here.

So many times I would hear this piece emanating from practice rooms at university and seldom heard a completely clean performance. The piece has a knack for bringing out the weakness of 3, 4 & 5 in M8 and M10, or losing the firm E in M31. Maintaining the legato in M27 was long an area of difficulty for me and you manage all these things well. It is played cleanly and steadily throughout, I'm getting used to this from you. It is no mean feat and doesn't come without dedication and perseverance.

I'm not familiar with the ornaments in the first few measures - they sound quite tricky. It is a common practise to add extra ornamentation on the repeat; unless these have been added for pedagogical reasons you might want to consider that.

Have you heard Ton Koopman's version of these on harpsichord? When I learnt these pieces I was frustrated that he threw ornaments in at the hardest places but it did give me the resolve to overcome them.

Glad to hear you're back at the piano. I'm enjoying this performance, it's nice to hear it without having to concentrate on the fingering!

Wow, Cheryl, is that really you? Your confidence and dynamic range on the instrument is unrecognisable. The rolled chords at the start are sweet, the pulse never dropped a beat even when you were skirting the edges of it and the phrase ending licks are smooth and articulate especially that final plump. I can imagine you sitting there with a look of intense concentration while playing this but the time will come, and it may not be far away, when you pull out pieces like this at the drop of a hat. You go very well together.

Are you still working on the Blues book, too? You've clearly benefitted from the addition of blues and jazz to your repertoire - and now so have we! Brava!

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor
You, too, Andy are showing a growing command of the instrument. I'm impressed with your shaping of the piece as a whole and glad to hear you maintaining your integrity with your teacher. I revere Bach as one of the greats but I bend his music to suit my tastes as long as I'm the one that plays it.

You play this with a good balance between the hands, careful shaping of each phrase and a disciplined performance throughout staying true to the spirit of the music and not foisting preconceived ideas onto it. This will reward you in time with a vehicle you can use to inject the feeling of the moment and thus never get bored with it however often you air it either publically or just for yourself.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12
It can be tricky to pick up the rhythm in Grieg but you do a fine job here of finding the Norwegian accent and Grieg's quirky syncopation. The start of the second half where the hands just want a little more personal space is more a logistical problem than a technical one but one we still have to overcome it and it seems to present no obstacle to you here. The whole of this book is open to you now and I find it's his most characteristic and his most accessible in terms of listening as well as playing. I expect you'll be glad to get back to the Yamaha smile

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6
Knowing you've been playing by ear for many years and have just started reading recently I have tremendous admiration for your achievements in these last two recitals.

Now that you can analyse the score you can bring your own findings to the discussion and your voice is just as important as Brendel's or Rubinstein's even if they may still be a little more articulate.

But you can also capitalise on your aural skills and make sure you're aware of the differences between M8 & 43 vs. M33 & 36. A great, sustained effort, Jeff, not easy with a piece of this length, thorough, marked and detailed.

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2
This is a wonderful piece that most of us have either in our repertoire or on our to-do list. I notice it decorates the front cover of the Alfred books. Your playing continues to improve and it's wonderful to read how much this piece means to you. You play the first section and the piu lento with accomplished ease but my preference would be to use a touch more control over the tempo or to reduce the pedal somewhat in the piu mosso to prevent the swirl of energy from becoming a maelstrom.

The little accelerando at the start of each entrance is wonderful but the increase in speed a little too much for me. The ritard at the last measure is a deft finish and the piece might work better if the very last iteration were to accommodate all that extra speed.

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18
When you take on a piece of this size you need more than just the technique to play it. You need some kind of long term strategy for presenting it. More carefully worked out climaxes are required that the music can aim for and drive towards before starting again on the next one and in this way maintain the audience's attention and the phrases drawn out over longer periods with very measured rises and falls.

It's not your playing that needs improving here, Sam, but your strategy. I've been having just this problem with a Schubert Impromptu. I have, as yet, no solution but I can offer you empathy. smile

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today
You need have no fear of your technique falling apart while you're 'between teachers'. There are clear signs of continued progress. Your dynamic range has improved, I'm not sure how much you need to vary the speed. The pedal might be your next area of focus. I know once we start using it that pedalling becomes semi-automatic but it's worth paying attention to it after learning the notes and starting to introduce pedal to the mix.

There's a point at which the dampers are on and the pedal starts to take effect and there's a point at which the dampers are raised from every string. It's a small range of movement on most pianos and the only movement needed. It doesn't hurt to spend at least a short time on each piece working out exactly where the pedal goes on and off and practising the movement for co-ordination. Many times it isn't necessary but sometimes it can rescue a difficult passage and the change can be almost unnoticeable in damping strings while the current ones ring on and maintain an unbroken 'wall of sound' without disturbing or clouding the harmony.

I think you may be ready for better things before you get to presenting as much of this oeuvre as you're planning. Great job!

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
My final batch - it's been a long weekend...

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues
I'd like to comment on your submission but also address your despondent little comment earlier.

The first few bars of each of your pieces are enough to show that not only have you a good independence of hands but you have an innate sense of rhythm and phrasing.

You have thus far tackled easy pieces and have probably resisted the urge to devote six months to one relatively enormous piece. This has given you a greater breadth of playing experience and technique.

You haven't just bashed out a few even notes but have given each note its own dynamic quality as part of a phrase. You can't buy that skill and it doesn't come from Alfred's. After one meagre year's playing, it is innate. It's a part of your musical sense and you won't ever lose it or be short of it. It will instil itself into every piece you play, quite naturally, and lift whatever morsel you choose to work on above the level of the average player.

You technique will develop with time and tackling gradually harder and more diverse material. After three years or so most beginners have progressed to early intermediate. At about that time they start to develop a greater range and control over their tone. You're already there. All you need now is the technique and that comes just from playing more technical pieces and from playing the piano every day.

We don't get better by playing harder pieces. We get better by playing better. We should worry not about the length of our pieces nor their technical demands for they change with each piece. We should concern ourselves rather with the quality of our playing - and your playing is not short on quality.

Your playing of the Bb and Ab as a layover with the thumb has a slurred quality that doesn't detract from the piece. But if you do want these notes to sound simultaneously, and it may be awkward with small hands, you "just" have to practise moving from 2 on D to 1 on these two black keys every day, slowly enough that they sound together. In time it will happen at playing speed.

As you can probably surmise from others we all look forward to hearing more from you in future recitals.

This is a very controlled performance keeping good time. Even when you slowed down for the difficult passage you maintained the slower tempo. This is a very useful skill. You haven't smothered the piece with emotion and this will benefit you in years to come. Here you have a musical template that can grow with you and into which you will filter both Chopin and yourself as your technique progresses.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise
It always amazes me that the man who wrote the Ninth Symphony and the Hammerklavier Sonata could pour out so much emotion in his bagatelles. I learnt this in 1977 and since then it has always been the first piece I turn to when I when I want to just play on a Sunday afternoon and when I start my repertoire cycle.

I've played it more ways than you can shake a stick at including the infamous shuffle rhythm but as time marches indefatigably on I find myself searching closer and closer for the finer details. I hope you continue with this piece for as long as I have and I hope you enjoy wheedling.

Excellent playing for a year in and a fine choice to play alongside your E min prelude. Keep it up.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio
This piece brings back fond memories. It is nicely played and an excellent start for your first year of playing. The time taken to make sure it's right for a recording is not wasted. That is how we're supposed to practise all the time.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major
Your lack of practise may not be helping but there are two ways you can improve this piece without much practise at all. Firstly, slow it down and keep each measure in strict rhythm. Bach has very cleverly added a 'secret' rhythm to this piece using the highest two notes of each iteration of the pattern, notes 5 and 8, playing a syncopated tap-tap twice every measure. Without the whole pattern being played evenly this is lost.

Secondly the repetitious nature of the piece practically begs us to mark out some bars more than others. For the first half feel how the piece breathes in as the LH fingers get closer together and how it exhales as they separate. In the second half there is a definite climax at M29, the return of the tonic major, built gradually from M20 and from the climax the remainder of the piece is a gentle climb down to the end.

Compare your tempo around 1:30 with your starting tempo. The tempo for the climax can even broaden with the added dynamics.

This is a noble effort for someone self taught and you have no issue with facility here but it's time to give your head an equal share of the load with your fingers. Get the words right and their meaning will become clear without you having to add any extra expression. As you're returning to practise I look forward to seeing you in the forum, the next best thing to a teacher.

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F
Even in the difficult circumstances in which you find yourself your earlier tuition has not been wasted. There's a distinct quality to your touch and your ability to shape a phrase and the piece is well chosen to bring that out. I look forward to hearing more from you when you're back in regular practise on your own piano.

Oh, and I also look forward to more of your comments on my own efforts but you may be sick, I fancy, from sycophancy! smile

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11
One year, no matter how serious, is not enough to impart the confidence of touch and tone and the facility you have in the ornaments so your many years of off and on have accumulated such that now might be a good time for many years on. Very nicely played.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth.
Very good for a year. You have a good ear, you don't play like that from reading alone in a year, and it will be of great benefit for you in the future.

Thank your sister. Music is a very uncompromising art. You have bags of tone under your fingers for a year's playing and have brought out the melody with ease and lots of expression. Nice sudden changes of dynamics too.

I think that bringing out the melody is the most important job when presenting a song. You have a rogue note at 0:39 that shows how much dynamic range you have left on that instrument. It would help to use more of this range of volume for the melody. When you manage to reduce the left hand consistently you can soften the melody again without losing it. This again is a good showing for less than a year. Have years been extended recently?

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G
Delightful, effervescent playing in this piece, Aimee, and a lovely change of mood for the Romanze. Welcome to the party. You're ready for bigger things but before you leave this piece there are a couple of things I would look at more closely.

In the Moderato the phrasing marks in M2, 7, 18 and 23 aren't being brought out consistently. Are you with a teacher? These tiny details are so easy to overlook if you're self studying. Also in the Romanze the left hand in M3&4 and M24&25 uses dotted notes that are also easy to overlook on your own.

You play with lots of charm and it comes through the recording. I was smiling throughout and I look forward to more from you in future recitals.

Commenting on all these pieces over a short period is an exhausting process however much we may enjoy it and I don't know if I could manage it four times a year.

I know I have missed a few. Some of you didn't want technical feedback and some, unfortunately, were recorded in a "live" room where the reverberation reacts adversely with my tinnitus and prevents my hearing clearly. Others were beyond my ability to offer anything helpful beyond the usual pat on the back that each and every contributor has deserved.

Like many others I am in awe of the range of talent here, am surprised at how much progress can be made in the first year - Lord knows, it slows down enough after that - and I am surprised at how easy and enjoyable it is to listen to and appreciate music that might not be heard anywhere else.

This recital experience is a first class opportunity not just for us to gauge ourselves against our peers but to acquaint ourselves with the vastness of what the piano offers and what it can do in amateur hands or where we might want to go ourselves in time to come.

Not all of us are beginners and some are surprised at the professional level of some of the recordings, particularly in the jazz section, but we all began as adults or returned as adults after time away. I had played in my teen years but was in my mid-twenties before I took it seriously and began lessons and I also had fifteen years away after that. What we can take away from this is that age is not a barrier to learning this versatile, demanding, frustrating, idiosyncratic and ultimately rewarding and lovable instrument.

Best of all it gives us the opportunity to really do what we know we should in order to improve - listen to ourselves critically and objectively and after all that have someone without bias offer a positive view, some helpful advice and encouragement to continue. Just knowing people have listened can be reward enough, for some of us it may be the only outlet for creative expression. Thank you, PW.

Richard
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission