Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2035131 - 02/18/13 07:04 AM Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
So this past Friday I was asked to go to a local university and speak with their grad. piano majors as part of a performance practices class.

No I did not coach them on their performances of Brahms and Schumann (Although I have an opinion on this as well). I was there to talk about the technical differences between the 2 or 3 21st century brands that all of these players knew and the 19th century instruments that the Romantic composers they were playing wrote for.

We were able to use a late 19th century Boesendorfer as an example. I also used overhead pictures of different period pianos that we have worked on, as well as professional diagrams of the actions, from Streicher (and earlier) to an early 20th century WNG action.

I HAD A BLAST! I wasn't given nearly enough time though. I feel like i could teach a semester class on the the technical aspects of the modern piano alone, let alone the major technical hurdles and the changes that the instrument has gone through into modern times.

Frankly, there were a few that did not care to hear about this. Questions were slow coming and of the 18 or so students that began with us only 9 stayed for a picture:

(I am the one on the immediate left of the piano)

Those who stayed though were really into it. I was asked some very insightful questions that really got ME thinking as well.

I wonder if anyone else, as a student, professor, or outside expert has lectured on this particular subject. I have not yet heard from the professor how she thought it went over. I hope she felt it went well because I have already thought through how I would do it differently next time.
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2035134 - 02/18/13 07:22 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Rich Galassini]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Rich Galassini
I was there to talk about the technical differences between the 2 or 3 21st century brands that all of these players knew and the 19th century instruments that the Romantic composers they were playing wrote for.

We were able to use a late 19th century Boesendorfer as an example.

Very interesting. How did the late 19th century Boesendorfer sound in comparison with a modern instrument? I ask because the restorer described my Ibach (a late 19th century design) as late Romantic. How would you assess the tonal differences, then and now?

#2035139 - 02/18/13 07:47 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Rich Galassini]
Rickster Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
(I am the one on the immediate left of the piano)

I think everyone here would recognize you, Rich. smile You’re a celebrity on Piano World.

You seemed taller than the others... smile

It's good that you participate and help to promote music education. We need more of that...

Rick

#2035170 - 02/18/13 09:25 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Withindale]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Withindale
Very interesting. How did the late 19th century Boesendorfer sound in comparison with a modern instrument? I ask because the restorer described my Ibach (a late 19th century design) as late Romantic. How would you assess the tonal differences, then and now?

In short, Withindale, it was a more intimate tone. One could say that it also had many more shades within a particular color, like a set of pastels that are all blue, yet all different.

It was not designed to fill a large hall, and in fact, could not. However, in a smaller hall (we were in one that seats about 200 - 300) the piano performed with a sparkle and sweetness that was palpible.

I had fun. smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2035178 - 02/18/13 09:41 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Rich Galassini]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Rich,

This is so cool! I'm a little surprised that some class members didn't stay for the full presentation. Did all of the pianists have the chance to play and compare old vs. new?

Was the vintage Boesendorfer rebuilt/restored in your shop? How true is it to period construction?

If Cunningham did the work, good job on the leg turnings for the bench!

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2035179 - 02/18/13 09:44 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Rich Galassini]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Marty,

We actually DID work on the piano, but it came to us as a refinished and "somewhat rebuilt" piano. We frankly had to fix a lot of mistakes.

We did not make the bench, but we could have! smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
www.cunninghampiano.com

#2035183 - 02/18/13 09:53 AM Re: Coolest most unusual Friday afternoon [Re: Rich Galassini]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
In short, Withindale, it was a more intimate tone. One could say that it also had many more shades within a particular color, like a set of pastels that are all blue, yet all different.

Who said no one can describe tone in words?

We actually DID work on the piano, but it came to us as a refinished and "somewhat rebuilt" piano. We frankly had to fix a lot of mistakes.

Perhaps the Ibach should have come to you!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
This is punny
by Tango Vic
Yesterday at 11:58 PM
A brisk Fall day, a room to myself, and a large piano.
by TwoSnowflakes
Yesterday at 08:07 PM
Mixer for live-use
by Auver
Yesterday at 06:24 PM
Question on Kawai CA65 functions
by ColinDS
Yesterday at 04:30 PM
40 year old self-taught in love with Bach - What to do?
by pinkfloydhomer
Yesterday at 04:23 PM
Who's Online
89 registered (Auntie Lynn, accordeur, Anticlock, AmateurBob, angga888, 26 invisible), 1258 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76591 Members
42 Forums
158373 Topics
2325546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission