Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
109 registered (accordeur, AmateurBob, 35 invisible), 1445 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2035189 - 02/18/13 10:06 AM Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea...
ShaneLu Offline

Hi Everyone-first of all I'm excited to join the forum, hoping to learn a lot here!

Little bit of information about myself - I was born into a musical family where my dad is a DMA out of UMichigan and my mom a concerto pianist out of China. Needless to say I was brought up in a very musically competitive environment. I grew up to win multiple awards and have played at places such as Carnegie Hall while I was in High School.

Here's some of my previous performances (all of which done sophomore year in high school)

[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VJpciouQdg

[3] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWHNtNtm8h0

[4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1rxcvO_1l4

I have since gone out of the serious piano scene after college, but was wondering the other night - I should start up a video blog aimed at the beginner or intermediate crowd. This is the crowd that is maybe OK at reading music but needs help interpreting it, or needs that extra little exercise to bring their finger dexterity to play that Prokofiev they've always wanted to play.

My videos would probably be 5-10 minutes long each, updated biweekly or weeky. Areas of interest would be:

Beginner:

Form - how to start to play the piano correctly, so injury doesn't occur. Also a lot of people overlook the fact that without correct form the piano skillset is drastically diminished.

Basic music theory - major/minor scales, how to read staff, basic chord progressions, etc

Finger exercises - Hanon, scales, arpeggios, etc

Simple song transcriptions - would probably be popular among the folks that "just wanna play that Beyonce tune".

Intermediate:

Finger dexterity - I didn't put this in finger exercises because it focuses more on the type of sound you get with different ways to press the keys

Interpreting musical passages - taking standard repertoire and dissecting certain parts. This part I'm flexible on because I can take suggestions from viewers. I will probably include pieces like certain Chopin Etudes, Mozart sonatas, Bach preludes/fugues, maybe even some modern pieces such as Prokofiev sonatas or Liszt Transcendental Etudes (more advanced). New age stuff like Phillip Glass and Steven Cravis would also work but less challenging..

Composers, musical eras and how that relates to interpretation of their pieces.

Memorization tips - different theories into how to memorize music & when to do it.

Other general tips that I think up as I go along.

So, here's the question: Most pianists would rather learn to play popular songs instead of classical. Would this blog really benefit a large audience? I'm excited but I'm on a high horse right now and possibly I need to be brought down to reality and reminded that maybe this idea goes outside of the general population's motives. My goal for this project is to have a supplement to formal piano instruction.

Thanks!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2035198 - 02/18/13 10:45 AM Re: Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea... [Re: ShaneLu]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Even though it may be true that more people want to play popular songs than classical, I think there are still enough people who want to play classical to make any good website a valuable resource for people. There are some good ones already out there and more would be appreciated.

The name of your trio made me laugh.

You might also want to post your question on the Pianist Corner forum because this forum is mostly geared towards the instrument.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/18/13 10:53 AM)

#2035200 - 02/18/13 10:49 AM Re: Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea... [Re: ShaneLu]
ShaneLu Offline

I wasn't aware these already exist- can you share them with me? I want to do something different, set myself apart. Thanks!

#2035206 - 02/18/13 11:01 AM Re: Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea... [Re: ShaneLu]
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
Here are a few:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PianistMagazine/videos

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=piano+%22paul+barton%22&oq=piano+%22paul+barton%22&gs_l=youtube.12...21390.23898.0.26349.4.4.0.0.0.0.91.337.4.4.0...0.0...1ac.1.q6ExaForV8s

http://www.pianoteacherlosangeles.com/
http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

#2035218 - 02/18/13 11:15 AM Re: Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea... [Re: ShaneLu]
ShaneLu Offline

Thanks!

#2035237 - 02/18/13 11:45 AM Re: Hellow! First post and would like to present an idea... [Re: ShaneLu]
4evrBeginR Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Please re-post this at the Adult Beginner's Forum, and hang out there as well. Your insights and knowledge would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!

Trade Regrets:
Barry "Bear" Arnaut

(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Call me irresponsible....
by harpon
11/23/14 11:17 PM
Yamaha used U1/U3 or new B3?
by blackjack1777
11/23/14 10:41 PM
Keyboard for $500 - and software to help learn?
by Freebird308
11/23/14 09:35 PM
my struggle to learn pop piano
by carojm36
11/23/14 08:51 PM
Compare Steinway, Estonia & Shigeru Kawai
by Nxwang
11/23/14 07:20 PM
Forum Stats
77024 Members
42 Forums
159306 Topics
2340140 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission