Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
95 registered (anamnesis, Anita Potter, anotherscott, ando, Adypiano, 32 invisible), 1471 Guests and 39 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.
(ad) Yamaha
Yamaha
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2034854 - 02/17/13 04:40 PM How much time do you get to practice?
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Are you able to practice as much as you would like to?

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2034855 - 02/17/13 04:41 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
No lol

#2034856 - 02/17/13 04:42 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: debrucey]
JoelW Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: debrucey
No lol

You're a conservatory student, correct?

#2034857 - 02/17/13 04:42 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
FSO Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
There aren't enough hours in the day.

#2034859 - 02/17/13 04:58 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

No. I can never practice enough. Either because music college is closed, because of my schedule or because there are no rooms.

#2034867 - 02/17/13 05:16 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Yes I am, though not for much longer

Edited by debrucey (02/17/13 05:16 PM)

#2034891 - 02/17/13 06:13 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
I can get usually an 8 hour slot. Of course some of that goes into score studying, listening to music etc (and of course breaks), so I get about 5 hours on average.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2034893 - 02/17/13 06:13 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
-Frycek Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: SC Mountains
Right now I practice about two hours a day and could easily do twice that. I've got some depression issues going right now that seem to be more destructive to practice and concentration than jobs or kids or whatever.

#2034899 - 02/17/13 06:20 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
I dedicate 3 hours to the piano and 1 to another instrument - other music exercises like composition, listening to music in a critical way etc. are not included in these 3-4 hours.

Music is my best friend.

#2034909 - 02/17/13 06:31 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
About 3 hours a week.

#2034935 - 02/17/13 07:21 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Yes.

#2034954 - 02/17/13 07:53 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: BruceD]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
You are very lucky! smile

Music is my best friend.

#2034961 - 02/17/13 08:08 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
pianist.ame Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Singapore
It depends since I'm working as a music teacher so there's no fixed amount of time...I have to just fit in whatever time that I'm able to, I'm okay so as long as I manage to get what I'm supposed to get done

#2035007 - 02/17/13 09:46 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
When I was prepping for my past concerts this year, I put in 3-6 hours a day, which pretty much killed me...usually it's closer to 2-6 hours a week during school and 3 hours per day in summer. Last year it was maybe 4 hours a week cause I had more work to do.

I don't get to practice much because I'm in one of the more demanding engineering programs in north America..
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2035020 - 02/17/13 10:34 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
I don't get to practice much because I'm in one of the more demanding engineering programs in north America..

Where at?

#2035029 - 02/17/13 10:50 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
DonaldLee Offline

4-5 hours on average, although there was one week where I practiced 10 hours a day.
Bach Prelude and Fugue in b-flat minor (WTC Book I)
Balikerev Islamey

#2035042 - 02/17/13 11:24 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
ABC Vermonter Offline

I practice more this academic year: close to 2 hours a day during school and 3 hours a day during weekends. smile

#2035080 - 02/18/13 01:39 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Debbusyist Offline

Loc: I'm standing upside down...
Never. frown
Slowly adding more on...

#2035092 - 02/18/13 02:39 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
beet31425 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA
I practice for two hours a day on the weekdays, before going to work. I practice 3-4 hours a day on the weekends. I try to take a day off every week, but don't always.

Anything less than 2h a day would be treading water for me.

-J

#2035215 - 02/18/13 11:12 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
What I always find fascinating is people who have a non-music related job, the typical 8 hours a day, and still find the energy to practice every day. How do you do it???

I mean, when I have class and work on the same day, which can total about 8 hours, my practicing suffers immensely because my brain is just not as fresh as when I practice first thing in the day. And then I barely get anything done and usually can't do more than 3-4 hours.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2035229 - 02/18/13 11:36 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
What I always find fascinating is people who have a non-music related job, the typical 8 hours a day, and still find the energy to practice every day. How do you do it???

I mean, when I have class and work on the same day, which can total about 8 hours, my practicing suffers immensely because my brain is just not as fresh as when I practice first thing in the day. And then I barely get anything done and usually can't do more than 3-4 hours.

Can't answer for everybody, but when I was doing this, I practiced before work. That way, my brain was fresh. Conversely, sometimes I would also practice very late (just before going to bed). This helped me to get my brain 'out of the way' and let the music flow better. (Obviously, I didn't work on anything 'technical' during those latter sessions! laugh )

Of course, even on those days, I'm only talking about 30-60 minutes of practice, max. Often, I would have to make up for it on the weekends.

#2035238 - 02/18/13 11:49 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I'm struggling with this problem at the moment. I need my job though, to fund my taste for expensive kitchen utensils.

#2035243 - 02/18/13 11:55 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Usually I take a really long break before I start practicing, so that means that I end up eating dinner at ridiculous hours... but most of the time piano's not work, so it's a bit relaxing. But when there are performances coming up...the pressure helps me to focus.

And speaking of performances, Liszt sonata + Franck violin sonata in April! Arghh, not enough time..!
Franck - Violin Sonata

#2035244 - 02/18/13 11:55 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I work full time, and unfortunately I'm on the road a lot when I don't get to practice.

But when I'm home, it's 2 hours/day during the week (1 hour AM and 1 hour PM) and 4 hours on Saturday and Sunday.

I find this is the absolutely minimum required.

#2035252 - 02/18/13 12:05 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: debrucey]
wower Offline

Loc: Calgary
I practice pretty much everyday. Maybe 9 out of 10 days in the long run. I'll normally practice 60 min interspersed with 30 min of breaks making for a total of 1 hour 30min sometimes switched with 30 min before work, 30 min after as the day warrants. I'd practise more if I wasn't so busy. I'm not sure if I'm objectively productive by comparison but do feel productive at the piano.

Originally Posted By: debrucey
...to fund my taste for expensive kitchen utensils.

The above got me curious.

#2035261 - 02/18/13 12:21 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: wower]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: wower

The above got me curious.

All-Clad/Le Creuset pans, Shun knifes, a KitchenAid etc.

#2035263 - 02/18/13 12:24 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member

I would love to have more time for practicing. I work full time during the day, and teach a couple nights a week, plus have my own music lessons and rehearsals in the evenings. I'm preparing for a piano diploma exam right now (RCM), so I force myself to carve out practice time. Since January, I've been spending 30-mins every morning before work on technical requirements, and then about an hour later in the day on repertoire. On Saturdays, I can usually squeeze in more practice time -- about 3 hours. Also, I've just recently gained access to a church's C7, so I can go there to practice late at night (my husband doesn't like me practicing after 10 p.m.).

Often when I'm driving home from work, the thought of practicing or teaching when I get home exhausts me, but I find once I start, I get my second wind. Since it's not what I do all day, the hours I get to spend doing 'music stuff' are still really special and energize me rather than draining me. I do find however, that I can only handle a couple hours max of practicing after working all day. After that, I'm not able to focus.

#2035273 - 02/18/13 12:53 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
woodog Offline

Loc: Bowling Green, KY
Time gets lost when I'm at the piano. an hour, two, sometimes (rarely three) but never in such blocks of time. I might wander there for a few minutes to work on a measure that's giving me a challenge, or actually focus in for a larger block of time.

Sometimes I'm focused, sometimes not, but the time I spend is always rejuvenating.

I'm not under any pressure (except the internal 'why the @#$(*@#$& can't that trill settle down and sound natural', or some such), don't care about grades (although I get a grade for my lessons).

My MBTI (Meyers Briggs Type Indicator) score is INFP, heavy on the 'introvert' - meaning time by myself is especially enjoyable - so this makes sense.

Forrest
Bach 848, 866
Schumann Op. 15

#2035277 - 02/18/13 01:12 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
gooddog Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
It's hard. Teaching is exhausting. I have to be "on" for 5 straight hours and the multitasking doesn't stop from 6:30 until 3:30 p.m. All the while I'm working, there is a little voice in the back of my head that really wants to be practicing. When I get home, my son or husband needs attention or dinner needs cooking or there are chores. I usually squeeze in about 90 minutes a day, even on weekends. The worst thing is when I finally have some time to sit down to practice and my mind is just too exhausted to concentrate. I have no time for TV and I squeeze in about 30 minutes to read. It's a long day. On the up-side, I get long vacations and my summers off. Then I can practice 3 or 4 hours a day, sometimes more.

Deborah

#2035281 - 02/18/13 01:29 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
FarmGirl Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
2 hours a day during the week although sometimes I cannot make time at all. During the weekend I do more. Up to 4 hours. I am always exhausted so I do Bach pieces in the end. It always wakes me up. I have to do romantic pieces before anything else. Otherwise it makes me sleepy. I am in the middle management in my company and work 6 AM through 4 PM. Its a highly technical ans demanding job. By the time I exercise my dogs and feed dogs & husband, it's always 8:30 PM!
Solo - Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Schumann Op 12 Warum and Grillen and Mozart K 475 Fantasy C minor
Collaboration - Concerto in C for Oboe and orchestra attributed to Haydn edited by Evelyn Rosewell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What should dealer prep include
by pinkfloydhomer
11/22/14 06:58 AM
Concert prep
by SMHaley
11/22/14 12:19 AM
Gillette Piano Academy
by Jonathan Baker
11/21/14 11:15 PM
I need help with these music sheet symbols
by Cristian88
11/21/14 10:46 PM
Need help identifying Young Chang grand
by electone2007
11/21/14 07:42 PM
Forum Stats
77000 Members
42 Forums
159258 Topics
2339536 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission