Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2035593 - 02/19/13 12:52 AM Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor
a226 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi everybody,

I have started to learn Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor.
I have two questions:

1- Beside the sheet music, as a reference, I've also chosen to take lessons from this performance, which I found pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9k5jOZ3_w0

How do you rate this pianist? Can I consider it as an authentic reference?

2- I can play Erik Satie's Gnossienne 1~3 pretty well (got acclaim from a couple of pianists), but I found this piece much more difficult. Is it really way more difficult than Gnossiennes? Or maybe it just needs practice?

By the way, I have been playing piano for about 5 years.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot,
Mike

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2035597 - 02/19/13 12:57 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Hello! I'll just deal with the Chopin and leave the Satie comparison to others.

Originally Posted By: a226
How do you rate this pianist? Can I consider it as an authentic reference?

Depends what you mean by "reference." If you mean making sure that you have the notes and the basic rhythms right, it's pretty good (at least for about the first minute, which is how much I listened to). If you mean a guide for how to play the piece -- "taking lessons," as you put it -- no way; it's not real good. I mean, it's OK smile but, I'd say the player is around low-level intermediate. He does a pretty good job at getting the notes for someone at his level, but that's about it.

BTW I can't imagine how he managed to get ADS on his page, but more power to him.

#2035603 - 02/19/13 01:09 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

By taking lessons I didn't mean the notes (because I play based on the sheet). I meant the dynamic and some technical issues like pedaling and finger positioning, etc... Thanks anyway smile

#2035604 - 02/19/13 01:11 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2035606 - 02/19/13 01:13 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
Mark_C Offline

By taking lessons I didn't mean the notes (because I play based on the sheet). I meant the dynamic and some technical issues like pedaling and finger positioning, etc...

I figured, but I was trying to be kind to the guy. grin

It's lousy for that. It's sort of a "student effort," that's all.

What Daviel posted is excellent (of course!), but don't feel you need to copy what she does -- not just because some of what she does is a little eccentric (which it is, and actually I think some parts of it aren't real good but forget that) smile but because there's an unlimited number of possible good ways to play it.

#2035609 - 02/19/13 01:17 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
It's not really bad, but I think there are much better performances than that (also on YouTube), particularly if you want to really learn from it and use it as a model, as you say...

Music is my best friend.

#2035611 - 02/19/13 01:20 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Thanks smile

So anybody has an answer to my second question? Actually this piece does not look too difficult, but the speed and the fact that it is in C# minor makes it difficult, I think.
Anyway, I'm at the beginning of playing it, but I'm kind of scared smile

#2035612 - 02/19/13 01:20 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

I believe this is the very best waltz Chopin ever wrote. Well, it's certainly my favorite... by FAR! It's much more than a show piece. And that middle section... don't get me started.

I believe it's much harder than the Satie. But try it and see if you can handle it. Do you have a teacher to help you assess situations like these?

This is my favorite rendition:

(Take note of his use of staccatos, and the relaxed middle section. Most people rush this IMO.)

Edited by JoelW (02/19/13 01:37 AM)

#2035614 - 02/19/13 01:28 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

the fact that it is in C# minor makes it difficult

Just be glad it's not in A minor.

#2035615 - 02/19/13 01:29 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: JoelW]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: JoelW

Yeah -- and of course a lot of people wouldn't get that. smile

It's harder to read in C# minor, but easier to play.

#2035616 - 02/19/13 01:29 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

It says here that the Gnossiennes are Early Advanced (SMP 8) level, which actually surprises me because I would have judged them much easier than the waltz - probably early intermediate.

Music is my best friend.

#2035617 - 02/19/13 01:32 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: Mark_C]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

All white keys must be easy, right? wink

#2035622 - 02/19/13 01:35 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

ChopinAddict:

Yeah, like you, I would say this waltz is way more difficult than Gnossiennes. This is why I asked.

Let's see what others say!

Edited by a226 (02/19/13 01:36 AM)

#2035625 - 02/19/13 01:41 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I think you can do it though. Although I wouldn't have rated the Gnossiennes level 8, this waltz is not extremely difficult. But I think you should first try to play it on your own rather than looking at YouTube, really feel the dynamics and the phrasing yourself etc.

Music is my best friend.

#2035626 - 02/19/13 01:43 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: JoelW]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark_C

All white keys must be easy, right? wink

On a very old piano it would be all black keys. smile

Music is my best friend.

#2035696 - 02/19/13 07:42 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
pianoloverus Online   content

Loc: New York City
The Chopin is quite a few levels above the Satie both technically and musically. The performance is what I'd call an somewhat average student performance so using it as a model for technique, fingering, or the musical aspects is not ideal although I guess the overhead view of the hands could be helpful for some. For this piece there are many YouTube performances by world class professionals with closeups(not overhead)of the hands, and those might be better models.

I thought there were some less than good fingering choices in the video. I would get a good student edition of this piece that has extensive fingering and pedaling suggestions. This is a piece where there are many possible fingering choices especially on the first page so you need to experiment about which is best for you. You can also find many editions of this piece at IMSLP, and there will be a variety of fingering suggestions in those editions.

For phrasing and dynamics the first thing by far is to carefully follow the markings in the score and not worry about "interpreting". Finally, I think the second and last page(which will probably prove to be the hardest technical challenge) can be played somewhat slower than many professional performances and still sound good. So I wouldn't be overly concerned about matching the typical professional's speed there.

Here's an example of probably a good student edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Waltzes-Complete-Masterwork-Editions/dp/0739016741

Edited by pianoloverus (02/19/13 12:08 PM)

#2035783 - 02/19/13 10:59 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Thanks. That was helpful.

#2035822 - 02/19/13 11:50 AM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
daviel Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Waxahachie, Texas
Here's another version:

http://youtu.be/wTSu1jjKpgI

David Loving, Waxahachie, Texas

#2035858 - 02/19/13 01:00 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Yeah, I've already watched the great performances like the one by Valentina Lisitsa and especially Horowitz several times. I know they are far better. I just wanted something with an overhead view of the hands smile

#2035860 - 02/19/13 01:02 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
Mark_C Offline

....I just wanted something with an overhead view of the hands smile

We might be able to help still better if you say what kinds of things you're looking for on that....

#2035868 - 02/19/13 01:17 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Actually nothing special, I think I got helpful comments in this post.

#2035880 - 02/19/13 01:39 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: California
This piece has been recorded many, many times. You can go to Amazon Mp3 (for example) and purchase versions from Van Cliburn to Liberace. You should get a good feel as to the range of interpretations this way.

The performance you showed was reasonably articulate (though a little sloppy on the chromatic runs) and sound, but there are much more interesting interpretations. It's also on the slow side.

I'd listen to Rubenstein and Horowitz to get started....

What are you looking for in an overview shot of the hands? How it's fingered?

It's a beautiful piece and a great choice.

Edited by Thrill Science (02/19/13 01:45 PM)

#2035892 - 02/19/13 02:05 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: daviel]
Brad Hoehne Offline

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: daviel

Wow, I love how Yuja Wang brings out the melody in the last repeat section of the "8th note passage" (for lack of a better descriptor). I find it particularly striking how she moves the phrase of that melody from the right hand to the left hand. The Horowitz is lovely as well, I too like his use of staccato.

This waltz has long been one of my standard pieces. It's sort of my "Stairway to Heaven" for testing out pianos I come across in my day to day life. The OPs original link to the overhead video, seems adequate for getting hand position and rhythm down. However, the performance is, quite frankly, really boring. The left hand seems particularly un-dynamic, and just plods along. My advice would be to watch the video closely to get the hand position and reconfirm your rhythms, and then, once you've gotten those things down, never watch it again.

Don't worry about it being in C# minor, once you get the notes down, I think you'll find the black notes work as a kind of "crutch", helping you place your hand more precisely.

Edited by Brad Hoehne (02/19/13 02:11 PM)

Currently working on:
Rach. Prelude Op 32 #12
Debussy Images #1 "Reflets dans L'eau"
Mozart Piano Sonata #17, K570
Playing by ear and "filling out" pop tunes

#2035948 - 02/19/13 03:58 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: Brad Hoehne]
a226 Offline

Originally Posted By: Brad Hoehne

Don't worry about it being in C# minor, once you get the notes down, I think you'll find the black notes work as a kind of "crutch", helping you place your hand more precisely.

Yes, but I sometimes have difficulty placing my Pinkie on the black notes at higher speeds. I know this is because I'm really amateur smile

#2036036 - 02/19/13 06:09 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

One thing you should consider when looking at the professional renditions on YouTube though is that those pianists are professionals and have been playing for many years. Some people feel depressed when they look at top performances and think they will never be that good. Take them as an inspiration, an incentive to get better and better. Don't feel like you should reach their level now and that if you don't it is bad. I have read quite a few threads here at PW where people thought they should give up because they hadn't reached the level of some performance on YouTube in spite of all possible efforts. Take them as an inspiration and just do your best.

Music is my best friend.

#2036074 - 02/19/13 07:51 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Thanks for your advice. I hope I become a " Chopin Addict" like you one day wink

#2036131 - 02/19/13 10:28 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: ChopinAddict]
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict
One thing you should consider when looking at the professional renditions on YouTube though is that those pianists are professionals and have been playing for many years. Some people feel depressed when they look at top performances and think they will never be that good. Take them as an inspiration, an incentive to get better and better. Don't feel like you should reach their level now and that if you don't it is bad. I have read quite a few threads here at PW where people thought they should give up because they hadn't reached the level of some performance on YouTube in spite of all possible efforts. Take them as an inspiration and just do your best.

It is a good advice for those who do not enter amateur competitions. For those entering amateur competitions, it can be fatal to have this philosophy in learning a new piece. Performances by professionals posted in Youtube can be an excellent tool to gage whether we have the ability to play close to that quality or not. The judges even in amateur competitions will consider that we cannot play the piece if we play with amateurish qualities. Of course, very unlikely that we can match exactly the same quality as those of professionals. People play with amateurish qualities will not advance to the semifinal.

Amateurish qualities = scales are not played evenly, no dynamic (flat), inconsistent tempi, etc. Interpretations is a subjective matter. Usually real amateur pianists will have more problems than just unusual interpretation.

#2036133 - 02/19/13 10:32 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: RonaldSteinway]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

I don't think that right now (from what he said) he intends to enter a Chopin competition for outstanding amateurs because this is his first waltz. Maybe later, then he can raise his standards.

Music is my best friend.

#2036142 - 02/19/13 10:54 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Thanks for your advice. I hope I become a " Chopin Addict" like you one day wink

Chopin is the poet of the piano. 3hearts I hope you will learn to really love him. He will make you happy! thumb

Music is my best friend.

#2036145 - 02/19/13 11:04 PM Re: Questions about Chopin's Waltz Op. 64, No. 2 in C# Minor [Re: a226]
a226 Offline

Yeah, I don't intend to enter a competition! I play just because it's fun. I don't feel depressed when I compare my performance to the top ones, but I try to take them as inspiration and improve myself. Besides, considering dynamic is always my priority, and I think I'm good at that part, compared to my hands abilities smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
158 registered (acortot, adanepst, 36251, 43 invisible), 1722 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153498 Topics
2249355 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Troubleshooting the Gravity Drop/Weight Transfer etc.
by bledredwine
04/16/14 11:16 AM
Stories in SoundBook 2 Valerie Roth Roubos
by DameMyra
04/16/14 10:48 AM
Teaching memorization
by clarikeys
04/16/14 07:45 AM
Accepted Procedure for Having a Piano Tech look at a piano?
by Paul678
04/16/14 07:19 AM
Tips for playing a piece through
by Hemmingway
04/16/14 06:40 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission