Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
135 registered (36251, accordeur, 661-Pete, 43 invisible), 1695 Guests and 24 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
#2041063 - 02/28/13 10:03 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
TX-Dennis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
46 Kenjazz - My Romance, Rodgers & Hart
Ken, you have a very professional sounding recording here. I truly enjoyed that.

47 Piano Student 88 - No Walk Today, Aram Khachaturian
Nice job, PS88. Very enjoyable.

48 carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano), Debussy
Carlos, it sounds like those "increasingly discouraging" lessons have borne fruit. This piece is not one of my favorites, but you play it very nicely indeed.

49 GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12, Rachmaninoff
You excel in bringing out the tempestuous soul of the piece. Very nicely done.

50 BillM - Georgia On My Mind, Carmichael and Gorrell
Well done, Bill. Your version of this wonderful song is very relaxed.

51 Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth., Chopin
Very beautiful, Pavel. You are really amazing for only a year (of self study at that).

52 Allard - To Zanarkand, Nobuo Uematsu
Yhis is another amazing one year performance. You do a great job on this, Allard.

53 MileHiSteve - Stagg Brew. Hilary Stagg
I must admit being unfamiliar with Stagg's work, but I like what I'm hearing. I think the sound you used fits the melodies well. You did a great job on the arrangement.

54 aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are, Billy Joel
I will admit to having playe this in the past, and I like your version. Nice job. All you people who sound this good after a year (or less in your case) make me want to puke. Obviously you've worked hard. It shows.

55 Aimee O - Sonatina in G, Beethoven
Nice job, Aimee. This is quite well done.

Thanks for the great music snd good times, everybody!

flickr

(ads P/S)

Sauter Pianos

#2041088 - 02/28/13 11:11 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Last batch!

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I like it! You did a good job with all of the dynamics.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) Not familiar what that piece, but I am glad that I am now. Beautifully done.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Incredible. There’s so much going on in that piece, and you did an awesome job keeping it all in check.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind Much respect to anyone who can sing and play(incredibly well, I might add!). I’ve loved that song since I was small. Thank you so much for your wonderful rendition.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. Only one year? Not fair! You’re very talented. It’s so clear and sensitive.

52. Allard - To Zanarkand Great work on that piece. It sounds just as I remember it from the game smile

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew Great transfer from the harp to the piano! It’s very relaxing.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are Great job transcribing this and adding in the vocals. Well done!

Thanks so much for sharing everyone. I've enjoyed listening.

#2041091 - 02/28/13 11:24 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Monica K.]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Originally Posted By: Andy Platt

[b]I would work on getting more dynamic range into it - where you did, it was great! I liked the clear contrast between the two versions but you tied it together well.

Will do with the dynamic range. In fact I marched into my piano lesson a week ago and told my teacher that I will not be so lazy with dynamics anymore hehehehe

Originally Posted By: Monica K.

Congratulations on your first recital entry! Talk about sneaking in under the wire. grin You do a good job of communicating the playful spirit of this sonatina.

Thanks for the welcome! In addition to adding more dynamically, in the next recital I would also like to not be typing in my comment section with 30 seconds left before cut-off grin

And thanks for your comments too, Dennis, Carlos and Pavel!

Edited by AimeeO (02/28/13 11:25 PM)

#2041117 - 03/01/13 01:16 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
BenPiano Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: US
A big FIST BUMP for all those working behind the scenes to bring these (and past) recitals to fruition - this awesome tradition wouldn't be here if not for the hard work in the past and now for each and every recital! smile

I give a general "Thanks!" to all who listened to my recital piece. Only my kids (when they were very young) heard me sing, and that was on guitar, and just a silly couple of songs, mostly a silly ABC song. I can't sing and was not meant to. Only in this friendly environment within the ABF could I feel comfortable enough to croak out a silly song, record it (somewhat blush) , and put it on display.

As a side note, I only sang my piece to my wife after I was convinced I would submit this for this recital. So, if not for this forum, she would have never heard it - it would have been put down quickly and without mercy!

So anyway, I'm grateful to all, and especially those who took the time to comment:

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For YouThis is one of my favorites so far. I love love love the bridge. And the final verse, uh yeah -- that's my life too, especially the "children that always fight" part... I swear, if I said to them, "listen, you have a choice to go out for ice cream, or go to a movie, or go swimming, or fight", they'd pick the fight every time. Or so it seems.

Back to the song... The arc of the song from the fantasy at the beginning, to the bridge that is actually taking us somewhere (unlike so many songs where the bridge is there because a song is supposed to have a bridge, so they stick something in there and call it a bridge even though it isn't actually serving the purpose of a bridge at all -- i.e. taking us from one place to another where we couldn't go otherwise).

So your bridge takes us to reality, and when we get there I'm chuckling. But then, we get to the end, you jump up an octave and we're into this sweet, music box like quality. To me, it says "this reality, unromantic as it might be on the face of it, is real and..." the part after that I can't even really put into words. It's a feeling that the reality is ultimately so much more satisfying and rich than the plastic fantasy at the beginning.

You have something here... a real talent (I'm saying this also based on hearing "The Secretary" a couple times today, and finding it to be quite moving given its context) that involves creating something that goes way beyond assembling chords and a melody. It's fun and yet profound at the same time. That's impressive.

I appreciate the comment and the time you took to delve beneath the surface of this. My first comment for this and most meaningful!

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
BenPiano -- Hi, Ben! Do you know that I actually discovered PianoWorld through you? I was watching one of your YouTube videos, in search of new music to tackle, and it said in the description that you had recorded it for an ABF recital at PianoWorld. Which brought me here. So thanks! Also, I'm in awe of your YouTube piano diary. The number and level of pieces you have on there would in itself be impressive, given that you haven't even been playing four years, but on top of that, all of your performances are polished to a very high degree. This will be another fine addition to the list. And if *I* was getting goosebumps listening to this, your wife must have been positively floored!

I'm very happy to have brought you here to the ABF and to give you goosebumps as well! wink

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This was great Ben. Your description made this tune even better. I applaud you for having the courage to sing along and must say you should ABSOLUTLY continue to play and sing together because this tune was very well received. It sounded like the nice theme music that you hear on tv shows and the quality was equally as good. I'm VERY impressed with this performance for all kinds of reasons.

Thank you much, your Mr. SH - singing was well outside of my comfort zone. blush

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You: This is one of my favorites of the recital, but not because of the piano. (Though, I rush to add, I enjoyed the piano part of it a lot.) It’s the lyrics, though, that stand out to me: The first couple of mushy romantic verses, followed by the punch line of real-life love and marriage (“Children that always fight/ Pizza on Saturday night”). Sheer comic genius!

I'm glad you could connect with this!

Originally Posted By: Sam S
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You You have a great voice! What do you mean you just "learned how" to sing and play at the same time? I've been trying to do that for years but failing miserably. Great job.

I played 4 chords on guitar for so long that I learned to sing along with them. This piece isn't much different that the rhythm mimics guitar strumming - something I can relate with.

Sam- with your ability and patience, you could totally sing while playing!

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You What a touching gift for your wife! You have real talent. It is a very touching song well played and sung!

Originally Posted By: casinitaly
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Ben how can you call yourself a shlub? Seriously. I bet your wife is delighted with her song! I enjoyed this, especially about half way through where the bass started “rockin’” a bit more. Most enjoyable!

Originally Posted By: Peyton
BenPiano- Great Ben! I bet your wife loved it.

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Very pretty song and your voice fits perfectly for it. Such a treat and absolutely enjoyable!

Thank you all for being nice. I'll continue in the future to stay quiet and just try to hit hit the right notes!

Originally Posted By: BillM
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This was fun! I just wished the vocal was a little louder. I’m sure you got major points for this.

Originally Posted By: Allard
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Nope, can't understand your mumbling laugh Or rather, your voice is too soft compared to the piano. Nothing a little technology can't fix. Nice song.

Originally Posted By: jazztpt
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Loved the feel you get on this Ben, reminded me of Simon and Garfunkel,the vocal was a tad quiet though but I could a hear a good in tune voice there, a very enjoyable listen.

Sigh - I have no idea how to record piano and vocal - this was really a learning experience! smokin

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Wow… you can sing and play at the same time. That alone puts me in awe of you. That song is just fantastic. Your wife is a lucky lady!

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
32. BenPiano - I bet your wife is very proud! It is a beautiful declaration of love. I do not know how you can do it composing, writing and singing ... I think this is all very difficult. Good job!

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This is such a treat! I think it's a fantastic tribute to your wife and to the fact you learned to sing while accompanying yourself in such a short time is a tribute to your talent. Great job,

Originally Posted By: Greener
[b]32 BenPiano - All of These Things For You This is very easy and pleasant listen. You have a nice voice. Nice job in keeping the accompaniment interesting without interfering with the vocal. Nice recording and well done.

Thank you, my wife is a lucky lady - not because of me!

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You Wow, another professional. So forget about taking lessons, I think you need to give them. This was an amazingly well crafted song and beautifully performed song. Very nice playing, just a perfect accompaniment. Wonderful, simply wonderful.

Thank you!

Originally Posted By: Pavel.K
32 BenPiano - Wow, what a lovely song, you are a great poet, composer, player, singer. Iam sure this was valentine a lot of women dream of :-) And it is the first time I hear iPad 2 in a song :-))) Instant subscription of your channel!

Thank you - a beat up iPad deserves a mention at some point here! smile

Edited by BenPiano (03/01/13 01:27 AM)

#2041128 - 03/01/13 01:37 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH

Because I'm attempting to be a little less analytical and more "feeling", as well as going for more holistic approach. And maybe because when I started this, I was a little hungry...

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning golden honey comb

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie pomegranate seeds

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 creme brulee

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 juicy sirloin steak

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 creamy tomato soup

06. CarlosCC - Julia fresh McIntosh apple

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues buttered popcorn

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 whole pineapple, leaves and all

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 raspberry lemonade over ice

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round deep fried onion rings with horseradish sauce

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor crisp pizzelle

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf' hot chocolate with a dollop of whip cream

13. Peyton - After All spicy gazpacho

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 olive tapenade

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 three-bean salad

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D ginger cookies with hot tea

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You warm pumpkin pie

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor roasted artichokes

19. Jake S - Fur Elise banana cream pie

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon blueberry pancakes with maple syrup

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living garlic mashed potatoes

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us Lemonheads

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam cinnamon toast

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio cold, crisp watermelon

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya onion soup

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow pineapple upside down cake

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major seven-layer jello salad

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia cup of cappuccino

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 glass of Riesling wine

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . eggs benedict

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 peppermint candy cane

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You homemade chocolate chip cookies

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement spun sugar

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre lasagna

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 sweet and sour meatballs

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf sliced kiwi

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One chocolate cheesecake

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 steamed clams with melted butter

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. baked Brie

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight sangria

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F banana split sundae

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 cranberry sauce

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' asparagus with hollandaise sauce

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 baklava

45. Copper - Greensleeves black walnuts

46. Kenjazz - My Romance stuffed cabbage with sauerkraut

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today sour cherry pie

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) New England clam chowder

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Bananas Foster

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind cafe mocha

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. quiche Lorraine

52. Allard - To Zanarkand crab legs

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew warm frosted cinnamon rolls

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are sautéed mushrooms

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G coconut in the shell

This was the most fun I've had listening to an ABF recital. (And now I'm full.) Thank you all!

#2041177 - 03/01/13 05:55 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Eglantine Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013

Loc: Another Country
35 - Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4

Richard's playing is fantastic. Really engaging, flowing along with a lightness of touch, like a sleek little sailing boat progressing down some really interesting river into an estuary. I've listened to Richard's recording time and again, and will continue to do so.

#2041831 - 03/02/13 12:09 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
casinitaly Offline

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014

Loc: Italy
Second batch of thank you notes smile

Peyton, Allard. Riddler, Zrtf90(Richard), Ben Piano, SamS, CarlosCC, Greener, Inlanding- Glen, Andy Platt, Jazzwee, Beechcraft409, Pavel K., Gandalf, TX-Dennis, Amaruk, FarmGirl, MaryBee....

Thank you all for your comments and encouragement!

What really delighted me in all the feedback I received was that so many were able to notice improvement in my playing and that so many commented on the pure "fun" of this piece.

It gave me a special little thrill to think that I'd truly been able to entertain - for however brief a moment - such a great group of musicians!

#2042229 - 03/03/13 08:45 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: casinitaly]
SwissMS Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Switzerland
Some more thank you's:

Jazzwee, Beechcrasft409, Tx-Dennis, Amaruk, FarmGirl, Jazzpt, Pavel.K, Gandalf, and MaryBee - Thanks so much for taking the time to listen and comment. Your encouragement really fuels my desire to keep trying to improve. Also thanks to everyone who offered well wishes.

Working on ABRSM Grade 6
European Piano Party July 4, 2015 in Switzerland!

#2042284 - 03/03/13 11:34 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Allard Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Realize I haven't responded to any of the comments on my submission. Thanks everyone for listening! I know the piece is a bit above my skill level, but with almost a year of experience on the piece, it is at least managable. It's easy to spot that I have only recently even begun to tackle the fast arpeggio part near the end. Probably going to take another year there.

SwissMS, peterws, Sam S, GrouchoMarx, Andy Platt, Monica K, TX-Dennis, MaryBee: thank you so much for the comments smile

jazzwee, Peyton: I'm curious, did you listen to the mp3 or the video? I always practised on my digital, where one might just put a brick to the pedal and sound reasonable. Have to adjust a lot for the acoustic.

Saranoya: dankuwel! It's funny; until you posted your comment, I just thought your name was a misspelled "sayonara". Took a while to sink in that Sara might be a female's name laugh

BenPiano: what's next? Why, buying a piano, of course, and making it familiar! I bought a baby grand from the same brand. Will probably try to get a new recording in once it is tuned.

Kenjazz: well, there are dynamic indications in the score and I've listened to the original many times. Since it's such a dramatic piece the dynamics are easy to notice. Still hard to reproduce everywhere. The original uses the soft pedal at some points, but there is no way I can control the left foot while still focussing on both hands and the right foot.

BillM: I was sitting on a piano bench, with the iPad on a chair right beside me. Couldn't get a better angle. I prefer the mp3 too, thanks. It's much cleaner, although the one hard part is a total mess. The piano sounded out of tune, huh? I thought it sounded pretty nice. Guess the other pianos in the shop were even worse.

Cheryl: aww, but the mp3 was better played. Glad you liked the video too.

Richard: my sister has a very uncompromising ear. She can pick up most songs by ear and will spot any mistake I might make. *sigh* ... must do better!

Mr Super-Hunky: I'm not sure what a "rolling chord" is. Can you explain what you mean and how you'd like those initial chords to sound?

CarlosCC: Final Fantasy's music, especially the piano collections, was one of the major reasons I started piano lessons. I hope to be able to play the harder pieces some day.

Pavel.K: I was the only person in the room at the time of recording, so that helped a little bit smile

AimeeO: nice to hear from others who enjoyed that game laugh The music from Final Fantasy is quite something, isn't it?

#2042410 - 03/03/13 04:14 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
Thank you to all who took the time to listen and acknowledge my submission. I am grateful for your encouragement.

So much fine music shared from around the globe. It's great to be part of it.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 This is quite a story you tell with this piece. I don't know much about Grieg's music, but your introduction to him with this wonderful composition fabulous interpretation. It's clear you are listening to the music as you play, really connecting. Thank you for sharing your music.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf Mike, this is spectacular! Another fine presentation from you. You play this so patiently - beautifully.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One Monk's melodies are wonderful and you play this one with a great deal of care.

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 Very complicated music. Very powerfully played and a fine interpretation.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. Very excellent renditions of those two popular standards. One of the hardest things is making correct changes in time. You clearly listen to a lot of jazz and have a great ability to allow those influences on your fine playing.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight With each e-cital, I hear an increased maturity in your playing, more patient and more time spent listening to where you freely want to go. Great work, indeed.

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F Thank you for the live recital from your local pub. This is beautiful playing and I look forward to hearing more of it in the next e-cital.

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 From your interpretation of what you call a simple Chopin piece, you have some fantastic skills. It might be easy to play, but not so easy to play well - you did a fantastic ob. You bring out the moods very nicely in each section.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' This is such a difficult piece to put together and give it meaning as a whole story and you did this so beautifully. This is one of my all-time favorite melodies. You express the subtleties so sensitively. Bravo!!

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 This is somewhat an epic Schumann piece. Amazing concentration to play this so beautifully for all ten and a half minutes. This is a fabulous interpretation - I like the slower tempo you chose.

Glen

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2042437 - 03/03/13 05:04 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Inlanding Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Colorado
45. Copper - Greensleeves Very nicely done rendition, Copper. It's a beautiful melody.

46. Kenjazz - My Romance I always enjoy Rodgers and Hart melodies. You play wonderfully with the virtual combo, Ken. Very confident playing. I always enjoy your interpretations and this is no exception.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today This is my first exposure to Khachaturian with these e-citals. You handle the voices quite nicely. You play with very relaxed hands and it shows in your music. Great work!

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) I'd not heard this piece until today. Quite a fine bit of playing, Carlos! Fantastic left hand! I really like this piece. Bravo!!

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 Fabulous in every way! Rachmaninov would be quite pleased, especially considering the fact you've been playing for three years!! Such good work.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind I like how you decided to not makes this sound as much bluesy and played it pretty straight up. Your voice and delivery fits the piece wonderfully. No shortage of fine renditions coming from your living room. This is another really fine piece, Bill.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. Simply amazing you've been playing a bit longer than a year with no lessons and can bring out such beauty in this Nocturne. Very impressive. Look forward to hearing more from you for sure.

52. Allard - To Zanarkand Incredible you are playing like this after a little longer than a year! I am sure the folks at the piano dealer enjoyed the live performance. Look forward to more of your music.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew Fabulous, Steve! I like the voice you chose on your electric to play your fine arrangement of the harp music. It gives a really nice feel to it. You've got some fine skills, indeed.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are Fabulous arrangement of one of Billy Joel's most popular songs. I like the idea you put together several arrangements and made one of your own. I am amazed you've been playing less than year to play this with such confidence and enthusiasm. My only suggestion would be to play more deeply into the keys and be patient with your own playing. It'll be great to hear more of your playing in future e-citals!

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G You play Beethoven with such a good sense of tempo and minimal pedal to bring out his best. You go from one movement to the next with such ease. This is Beethoven presented in fine style.

A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member

#2042975 - 03/04/13 06:06 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
I am overwhelmed by the response to the Grieg Notturno and am reminded of the Mole in the Wind in the Willows:

Quote:
`O stop, stop,' cried the Mole in ecstacies: `This is too much!'

I am grateful and indebted to all who bestowed such largesse on my submission.

#2043284 - 03/05/13 09:55 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Ganddalf Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Norway
I realise that I'm running very late with my responses. Hope that I'll be able to comment on the rest of you by the end of the week.

11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor This is by no means an easy piece to play. I enjoyed your performance, and I’m not sure if I would play it much faster than you do.

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf' A lovely song, very appealing and well played.

13. Peyton - After All I appreciate the clarity of your performance. Composing a piece like this requires considerable creativity.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 I particularly noticed the good phrasing of the melody. This is essential in all Grieg’s music.

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 This is a fine piece with beautiful harmonies. You play in a very expressive way, and make out many fine details.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D I have several times already said that I’m not a Jazz player myself, but admire people who can perform that kind of music. I particularly enjoyed your performance, and if I had time I would seriously consider learning the piece myself.

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You You bring out the melody very well and play the piece cleanly. I enjoyed your performance.

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor Real improvisation? I’m impressed.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise Well done! You have been very focused during your one year learning period.

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon It was very nice for me to hear again this melody from good old days. Good rhythm and well played.

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living This was a piece with character and very nice to listen to.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us Listening to your piece I understand that you are not a true beginner any more. Well done!

#2043678 - 03/06/13 12:26 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
MaryBee Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Cleveland, OH
A big "thank you" to aTallGuyNH, Saranoya, SwissMS, BillM, casinitaly, Peyton, Allard, zrtf90, Riddler, Sam S, peterws, Mr Super-Hunky, Greener, Monica K., jazzwee, Andy Platt, CarlosCC, AimeeO, BenPiano, TX-Dennis, Pavel.K, and Inlanding for listening and giving your kind comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed listening to my Chopin waltz.

Maybe in 20 years I’ll be playing it too!
I think it could be much sooner than that. I was about at your current level when I started lessons four years ago. Things move so much more quickly when you have a teacher to guide you, don't they?

Originally Posted By: zrtf90
but my preference would be to use a touch more control over the tempo or to reduce the pedal somewhat in the piu mosso to prevent the swirl of energy from becoming a maelstrom.
Didn't quite mean to make it that exciting! laugh Thank you for your careful listening and thoughtful feedback. I tend to think it's the pedaling more than anything, as both you and jazzwee pointed out. (That's definitely one of my problem areas.)

I'm just working on this one myself.
If you end up recording it, I would love to hear it.

It has about 190 measures I think....impressive!
Yes, that's about right, but about half of them are repeats, so it's not quite as daunting as it seems at first glance.

#2043876 - 03/06/13 11:20 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Greener Offline

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014

Loc: Toronto

45 Copper Greensleeves
Fine job with this Copper. Thanks for sharing this very clean short and sweet interpretation. I look forward to hearing more from you.

46 Kenjazz My Romance
This reminds me of my Dad's trio days which I miss immensely. A really fine sound here and some great playing, Ken. Sorry to inform you here though, that I sold the Vibes. I started to work out a chorus for “Days of Wine and Roses” but, I never finished or got it recorded. Now the Vibes are gone. I got a good buck for them and a replacement piano with the proceeds (it is a better use.) Sounds like you are doing just fine without me. Some really great material you always seem to be working on and is very inspiring.

47 PianoStudent88 No Walk Today
Good work PS88. I'm not (or wasn't rather) familiar with this work. Your efforts towards varying dynamics and your own interpretation is working very nicely. Some fine playing and enjoyable listening. Thanks for everything you contribute on the teaching side of the threads as well, PS88. I've certainly continue to learn a lot from you.

48 carlos88 Sarabande (from Pour le Piano)
A very sophisticated work and very accomplished playing of it. Fine playing, Carlos and nicely done.

49 GrouchoMarx Prelude Op. 32 No. 12
3 years, really? Not sure I would be taking on a work like this after 40. Very encouraging for me to get busy. Really great stuff, GrouchoMarx.

50 BillM Georgia On My Mind
Fabulous rendition of this classic, Bill. You've motivated me to brush up on this one myself now. Perhaps will post in the Bar some time. The singing though is beyond me. A really fabulous job you've done with this one, Bill.

51 Pavel.K Nocturne 21 in C minor posth
Very pretty piece and nice choice Pavel. You are doing extremely well. Very well presented and some fine playing here. Good for you.

52 Allard To Zanarkand
You guys are amazing me with the quality of playing for the amount of time you've been at it. This is very well done, Allard. A very enjoyable listen.

53 MileHi Steve Stagg Brew
A fine medley composition you've put together here Steve. It is a very full and rich sound and very pleasant listening. Nice work.

54 aTallGuyNH
A very easily recognizable classic. This will be hit for you for sure. Really some fine playing and nice changes. Really well done, TG.

55 Aimee O Sonatina in G

A lovely piece to wrap up the recital with Aimee. Sounds like some very tricky elements with this and you've got it well in control. Really good work and fine playing Aimee.

Thank you to everyone for providing such fine performances. I've thoroughly enjoyed listening to each and every one. And Thank you also for the kind and generous comments directed my way on the Schubert entry and putting up with the annoying squeaky pedal. No more of this will be forthcoming as the new (used) piano arrives tomorrow smile .

#2047070 - 03/12/13 04:20 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: zrtf90]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
It would have been nice to get this in the themed recital - I wouldn't have an issue with duplicates or missing pieces but it's not my project.

Nice idea but no, it will not be in the themed recital. I asked Wayne and Rostosky. Here's Wayne's response:

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
As these are so difficult and people have put a huge amount of time and effort into their pieces, I think submitting duplicate pieces would be unfair. If it was the piece I had been working on, I wouldn't be happy at all, so I hope you don't take offence If your offer is declined in this instance.

#2047074 - 03/12/13 04:29 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
op.53/3 and 62/2?

#2049035 - 03/16/13 07:47 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
Originally Posted By: wouter79

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
It would have been nice to get this in the themed recital - I wouldn't have an issue with duplicates or missing pieces but it's not my project.

Nice idea but no, it will not be in the themed recital. I asked Wayne and Rostosky. Here's Wayne's response:

Originally Posted By: wayne33yrs
As these are so difficult and people have put a huge amount of time and effort into their pieces, I think submitting duplicate pieces would be unfair. If it was the piece I had been working on, I wouldn't be happy at all, so I hope you don't take offence If your offer is declined in this instance.

Wouter, this was a response given by wayne in a private message, and as such it should NOT have been posted up here in an open thread for the world to view without asking wayne first. It is not only a privacy issue but a courtesy one.
Not cricket old chap, not cricket.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

#2050094 - 03/18/13 07:16 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wouter79 Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Rostosky,

I don't really understand why you are pointing out that Wayne might have an issue with my post. I'm sure Wayne can discuss this himself with me if he has any problems with my posting of his reply. Also I don't see anything wrong with either my post or with Wayne's message.

Also this seems not be the right place to discuss that.

>Not cricket old chap, not cricket.

Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

#2050106 - 03/18/13 08:04 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: wouter79]
Andy Platt Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Virginia, USA
>Not cricket old chap, not cricket.

Sorry but I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

It's a British expression meaning, "it's not right."

Kawai K3

#2050389 - 03/18/13 06:04 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
wayne33yrs Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Sheffield UK
Checking whether or not, I minded would have been courteous wink

#2051265 - 03/20/13 09:58 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: Greener]
PianoStudent88 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Maine
I want to thank again everyone who listened to my piece, and everyone who commented. I am basking in the glow of compliments, and noting the comments for ways to improve for practice in my next pieces. Thank you all.

Originally Posted By: Saranoya
PianoStudent88 -- Ah, another piano for the 'could do with a tuning' bin! But that aside, thank you for the introduction to Khachaturian! It was lovely, and a little off the beaten path, which I always appreciate. This music sounds interesting. Worth exploring further!

I'm glad you liked it. I'm sorry to have subjected you to an out of tune piano. There will be more Khachaturian to come in future recitals. I'm really quite fond of his music.

Originally Posted By: SwissMS
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today A very interesting piece! It is mysterious and serious at the same time. I thought your interpretation worked well. Your variations in tempo worked well, and you kept the piece moving. Nice job!

"Mysterious and serious" -- that's a good way of describing several of the Khachaturian pieces in this selection. He also has some pieces that are mysterious and humourous.

Originally Posted By: jotur
47. Pianostudent88 - No Walk Today Very calming.

Glad to hear it! It's interesting, the harmonies in Khachaturian are often non-traditional, but he puts them together to very interesting effect.

Originally Posted By: BenPiano
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today - Well done, you nailed this one! I hear a lot about Khachaturian but have never tried a piece - perhaps next recital? smile

"Nailed it"! That's very nice to hear. I really like Khachaturian and think he's well worth exploring.

47. PianoStudent88
musical:
overall impression, like: Nice piece. well played. Good use of pedal (I suppose they are written out and played as indicated?). Dynamics work nice. The staccato run sticks out too much, seems you play it too loud. Maybe you can make it a bit softer to better fit the rest.
Overall increase in speed, I think this was not intended?
Maybe you can bring out that melody just a little more. Nice dynamics particularly between 0:30 and 1:00.
Phrasing: overall clear. The more detailed phrasings and measures are sometimes less clear, eg in the staccato run and the end (after 1:25).
rubato, overall speed changes: gradually faster, a few slowdowns. The slowdowns are nice, the overall speedup makes less sense to me.
Dynamics: yes, nice
articulation: most with pedal, staccato run without.

Thanks you for your detailed comments. They are always helpful to me. I still have this problem with an unperceived-by-me speedup which you have commented on in a few of my submissions. Grrrrrrr! Your comment on the over-loudness of the staccato run also picks out a common weakness of mine: playing f passages at fff. In my recent practicing I've taken this comment to heart and trying to interpret forte as "play somewhat louder" and not "whale on the piano for all you're worth"!

The pedal markings are actually very sparse in this piece, so most of the pedaling is my own creation.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today Interesting piece – it was very clear that you’d worked on the dynamics. I think it is really neat that you are planning to present us with all the works in this collections. Well done!

I'm glad you could hear the dynamics. I was recently reading about some recorders which equalize the dynamics away, and suddenly I was worried about my recordings. Sounds like, by luck, I have got a non-auto-equalizing recorder.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today
You need have no fear of your technique falling apart while you're 'between teachers'. There are clear signs of continued progress. Your dynamic range has improved, I'm not sure how much you need to vary the speed. The pedal might be your next area of focus. I know once we start using it that pedalling becomes semi-automatic but it's worth paying attention to it after learning the notes and starting to introduce pedal to the mix.

There's a point at which the dampers are on and the pedal starts to take effect and there's a point at which the dampers are raised from every string. It's a small range of movement on most pianos and the only movement needed. It doesn't hurt to spend at least a short time on each piece working out exactly where the pedal goes on and off and practising the movement for co-ordination. Many times it isn't necessary but sometimes it can rescue a difficult passage and the change can be almost unnoticeable in damping strings while the current ones ring on and maintain an unbroken 'wall of sound' without disturbing or clouding the harmony.

I think you may be ready for better things before you get to presenting as much of this oeuvre as you're planning. Great job!

"No fear of [my] technique falling apart while ... between teachers" -- hooray! Thank you so much, this is very reassuring to hear. Thanks for the comment on pedal -- from your comment, I have started to pay attention to the depth of pedaling. So far I can't yet control it to the point of half-pedaling, but I can now avoid mashing it to the bottom of its range of motion.

Originally Posted By: peterws
47 A nicely done Pedestrian Piece . . .

I'm not sure about "Pedestrian", but I'll take "nicely done" wink. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: Sam S
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I think you are definitely improving. The dynamic changes were great, especially the ends of the phrases.

I'm glad you liked the dynamic changes and heard the phrasing. It's nice to hear I am improving, although it's somewhat nerve-wracking. Every piece I submit I think I'm playing really well, and then I submit it and listen to the recording several times more and start to hear all sorts of flaws. I suppose I might ameliorate this by recording and listening to myself more often. Maybe that would even help me improve faster. Hmmmmmm. (Other people hate practicing scales and technique drills; I hate taking the time to record and listen to myself....)

Originally Posted By: Allard
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today
Sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe just the main theme. Does the streaming player normalize away your changes in dynamics?

Hmmm, I don't know about the streaming player, not having listened to it. I'll take a listen on the next recital and see what I think.

Originally Posted By: Mr Super-Hunky
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today " I am learning to go beyond the bare notations of the score into musical interpretation and bringing the piece to life. " I couldn't possibly agree more. Very nicely done.

I'm glad you liked it. In the area of interpretation, I'm working on several pieces right now and it seems easier on some of them to become interpretive "beyond the score". It's interesting to learn for each piece what it wants that's not written in the score, or maybe what it wants in terms of everything you need already being in the score, or in the standard performance practice for that era. Maybe becoming wildly interpretive might be an avenue into me learning a bit of a feel of improvisation: taking notes that I have learned very well, and starting to really bend and shape and modify them. (Much as I hate memorization, I have to say that this is an approach that I can feel myself trying for memorized music rather than when I'm playing from the score.)

Originally Posted By: jazzwee
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today Very nice performance! Really enjoyable to listen to. You had a very even rhythm and really drove the music forward nicely. Maybe a little less pedal would sound better (relying more on finger legato).

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Finger legato, hmmmm. I'll experiment with this in future pieces.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I think your tempo adjustments sound very natural and overall the piece works very well. You shape some of the phrases carefully and retain a warmth even where there are a lot of repeated chords.

It's interesting, different reactions to the tempo adjustments. I'm glad you found the piece to work very well overall, and this gives me a reminder to continue working on shaping phrases. ("shape some of the phrases carefully" -- eek, what about the other phrases wink ?) Really, I appreciate your comments. It's interesting what you say about retaining warmth. This isn't something I'm particularly aware of or sure that I can hear, but it's good that whatever I'm doing produces warmth. I did spend time practicing the choreography and flow of my hand/wrist/arm movements on this; maybe that's what produces the warmth.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today: This one also has a plaintive air, almost sad and mysterious. I’m beginning to think Khachaturian didn’t have a very happy childhood!

You know, I know very little about Khachaturian's life. The harmonies in this collection are indeed all wierd and mysterious. The next piece is definitely a slow sad piece; the piece after that is an allegro birthday song, but even that has mysterious harmonies: it's definitely not a simple major key birthday song.

Originally Posted By: CarlosCC
47. PianoStudent88 - This is my first contact with this Aram Khachaturian piece. I think it's a simple but nice melody. I like it. Congrats.

I'm glad you liked it. Making converts to the music of Khachaturian, one ABF Recital at a time, that's me smile .

47 PianoStudent88 - Lovely performance. You are brave you are shaking off those score markings chains! :-)

Thanks for the compliment! It's interesting learning to be musical in ways that go beyond the bare information contained in the score. I think this is one of the things I have to work extra hard on, as I don't have an experienced music teacher (i.e. I don't have a teacher at all) to hear me and provide ideas from his/her greater experience of and sensitivity to music.

Originally Posted By: TX-Dennis
47 Piano Student 88 - No Walk Today, Aram Khachaturian
Nice job, PS88. Very enjoyable.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thank you.

Originally Posted By: AimeeO
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I like it! You did a good job with all of the dynamics.

Aha, glad my dynamics came through.

Originally Posted By: MaryBee

Because I'm attempting to be a little less analytical and more "feeling", as well as going for more holistic approach. And maybe because when I started this, I was a little hungry...

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today sour cherry pie

Very creative commments, and now I'm hungry smile !

Originally Posted By: Inlanding
47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today This is my first exposure to Khachaturian with these e-citals. You handle the voices quite nicely. You play with very relaxed hands and it shows in your music. Great work!

"Relaxed hands" -- this is very reassuring to hear, thank you. It's one of the things I learned from my 15 months with my teacher, so despite some of the ways in which I was frustrated with her teaching, this was one of several valuable things I learned that made the lessons worth it and for which I am grateful to her.

47 PianoStudent88 No Walk Today
Good work PS88. I'm not (or wasn't rather) familiar with this work. Your efforts towards varying dynamics and your own interpretation is working very nicely. Some fine playing and enjoyable listening. Thanks for everything you contribute on the teaching side of the threads as well, PS88. I've certainly continue to learn a lot from you.

I'm glad my interpretation comes through. You're welcome for the teaching side; I love being able to share what little I have learned about music and it is always enjoyable talking with you about music.

#2051834 - 03/21/13 09:54 AM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
kingston250 Offline

Hello,
I am new here and i am learning Piano playing. This forum is so good.

#2056314 - 03/29/13 03:20 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: AB Forum Recital]
Plowboy Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: SoCal
It sure is kingston20.

I just finished listening to the entire recital. All the works were really good, truly. Thanks to all who commented on my prelude. Some good points were made and they will help.

#2136323 - 08/20/13 11:42 PM Re: Recital #29 -- General Discussion Room [Re: aTallGuyNH]
aTallGuyNH Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: aTallGuyNH
46. Kenjazz - My Romance

I always love your recordings. They just sound so warm and intimate. The band-in-a-box works nicely.

For this particular song...

Slower?
Check.
Love it.

Less is more?
Check.
Love it.

Durn it... there's just not enough jazz in XXXI, so I had to go back to KenJazz's performance in XXIX in order to get my fix!

OK, I'm feeling better... back to XXXI now.

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

XXIX-XXXII

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Decorations - Piano World Headquarters 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
5 adjacent dead keys
by levendig
12/20/14 01:18 PM
Like Someone In Love - a rhythmic approach
by marcuslchoi
12/20/14 12:43 PM
mp11
by mike2014
12/20/14 11:42 AM
Merry Christmas from TromboneAl
by TromboneAl
12/20/14 10:26 AM
Odd sound effect on old upright
by 661-Pete
12/20/14 06:38 AM
Forum Stats
77371 Members
42 Forums
160013 Topics
2349847 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission