2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 10 invisible), 1,808 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2034890 02/17/13 07:11 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi piano folks. Well, I've not played properly for over four years, but have just started up again. When I played before I was playing Chopin nocturnes,mazurkas,Debussy pieces from children's corner amongst others. However, looking back I can see these pieces were too advanced for me. It always seemed like such a struggle to get through a piece, and I would frequently lose control (wrong notes, hesitancy). My piano teacher sent me for grade 8, though I got nervous, played dreadfully and and walked out!
I want more control over my playing and have decided to study Bachs inventions. Any thoughts???

Thomas3177 #2034962 02/17/13 09:12 PM

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Without actually hearing you play, it would be difficult for us to know if working on the Bach inventions would be the best strategy for you. You realize that you'd probably benefit from tacking easier repertoire at this stage of your development - but if the challenges you had with past repertoire were related to sloppy practice habits, technical or musical problems, etc. then simply working on the Bach inventions on your own won't necessarily solve anything unless you first address those issues - preferably under the guidance of a good teacher. I guess one question I'd ask is - how do approach learning a new piece?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Thomas3177 #2035395 02/18/13 06:35 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for response. Well, in learning a new piece, I'd generally play through each hand separately, then together, slowly. I'm learning invention no 8 at the moment. It's coming along ok. Have been working on it since Thursday. Still need to practice it fairly slowly though to avoid error. Hopefully I'll have it within the next week or so. I've never played bach before and am quite hypnotised by it.

Thomas3177 #2035450 02/18/13 08:20 PM
B
B
If I may make a suggestion, try learning all new pieces from the beginning with both hands together - even polyphonic music like the Bach Inventions. It might slow you down initially, but it will pay dividends in the long term when you learn more complex music. After all, you're Grade 8 standard, or close to it.

If music be the food of love, play on!
Thomas3177 #2035486 02/18/13 09:43 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hands separately and VERY SLOWLY to begin with as you're doing. Then you graduate to hands together SLOWLY and eventually increase your tempo.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Thomas3177 #2035508 02/18/13 10:28 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I'm with bennevis. Practice hands together from the outset as slowly as you need to to get them together; only practice hands separately those sections in individual hand parts that need to be worked out independently.

That should be pretty straightforward with Two-part Inventions particularly.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Thomas3177 #2035509 02/18/13 10:29 PM
J
J
Bennevis your advice is contrary to what I hear everywhere else - that for contrapuntal works it makes sense to even practice one voice at a time for voices > 2. I've never heard anyone advocating learning contrapuntal music by just jumping straight into hands-together practice.

stores #2035530 02/18/13 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by stores
Hands separately and VERY SLOWLY to begin with as you're doing. Then you graduate to hands together SLOWLY and eventually increase your tempo.

Agreed.

And while you're at it, take the time to actually write the fingering that you intend to use in the score itself - in pencil - and stick with it. Also remember that a fingering that works when playing hands separately may not work as well when the hands are put together - in which case you'll need to make adjustments down the road. If your fingering isn't consistent each time you work on the piece, chances are you'll have trouble learning it - be it a two part invention or a four voice fugue. Using a metronome from time to time when practicing hands separately or together will also be beneficial.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey #2035546 02/19/13 12:14 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by carey

Agreed.

And while you're at it, take the time to actually write the fingering that you intend to use in the score itself - in pencil - and stick with it. Also remember that a fingering that works when playing hands separately may not work as well when the hands are put together - in which case you'll need to make adjustments down the road. If your fingering isn't consistent each time you work on the piece, chances are you'll have trouble learning it - be it a two part invention or a four voice fugue.

I agree with both of these gentlemen. I do find it useful, even while working carefully on the pieces hands separately, to do a little hands-together just to see and hear how the parts fit together.

I don't personally find that I make much progress on the hands-together practice until I begin to memorize the music hands separately. I didn't think that this would really make much difference until I tried it on my teacher's advice.

Work in small sections so you have lots of starting places. My teacher advises sections of 2-4 bars for Bach, depending on the piece. This is where having all your fingering written in is particularly helpful.

At some point you will probably want to get yourself a good teacher. There is a lot more to Bach than simply getting the right notes at the right time.

AnneJ #2035549 02/19/13 12:21 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AnneJ

Agreed.

And while you're at it, take the time to actually write the fingering that you intend to use in the score itself - in pencil - and stick with it. Also remember that a fingering that works when playing hands separately may not work as well when the hands are put together - in which case you'll need to make adjustments down the road. If your fingering isn't consistent each time you work on the piece, chances are you'll have trouble learning it - be it a two part invention or a four voice fugue.

I agree with both of these gentlemen. I do find it useful, even while working carefully on the pieces hands separately, to do a little hands-together just to see and hear how the parts fit together.

I don't personally find that I make much progress on the hands-together practice until I begin to memorize the music hands separately. I didn't think that this would really make much difference until I tried it on my teacher's advice.

Work in small sections so you have lots of starting places. My teacher advises sections of 2-4 bars for Bach, depending on the piece. This is where having all your fingering written in is particularly helpful.

At some point you will probably want to get yourself a good teacher. There is a lot more to Bach than simply getting the right notes at the right time.

http://www.herberttsang.com/Ruth%20Slenczynska%20Article.htm

However, I always start a piece HT, slowly, and practice HS as needed, slowly. Always slowly. And deliberately.

In addition, I would say that practicing Bach, no matter what level of playing you find yourself, will help you with the next level.

--Andy

I may not be fast,
but at least I'm slow.
Thomas3177 #2035886 02/19/13 02:49 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Ok thanks for everyone's comments 😊

AnneJ #2036152 02/20/13 12:28 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AnneJ

Thomas,

A good teacher with whom you have a good rapport is worth 1000 of our posts. Especially if you have a history of working on pieces that are too difficult-- you probably have some bad habits. You're like a want-to-be runner asking a running forum about training times and workout rituals... when you really need someone to remove the pebbles from your shoes. Good luck.

-Jason

Thomas3177 #2036193 02/20/13 02:41 AM
B
BDB Offline
B
If you like the Bach Inventions, then they will work for developing your control. If you do not, chances are you will get tired of them before you get what you want from them.

Semipro Tech
BDB #2036480 02/20/13 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by BDB
If you like the Bach Inventions, then they will work for developing your control. If you do not, chances are you will get tired of them before you get what you want from them.

You should learn 2-3 of the inventions whether you "like" them or not - because, quite frankly, if you can't play these fairly simple works with some degree of control you most likely won't be able to perform more advanced contrapuntal works successfully either. cool

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Thomas3177 #2036708 02/21/13 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Thomas3177
I want more control over my playing and have decided to study Bachs inventions. Any thoughts???

At the prompting of a member's suggestion in another thread I brought my Henle edition of the Inventions and Sinfonias over to the computer. I think one thing which playing through the entire set makes clear is that the voices and fingers are too perfectly intermingled to ever attack hand separate. However, in practice, when played hands together, I often get to the end of the piece and have no idea how I got there. A very bad feeling and exactly opposite of my intention. Oh how to analyze Bach pieces! They are just impenetrable to me. Just the kind of problem I like to tackle. On Invention No. 11 G minor I have scrawled in some frustration - Where is the melody?

Another fruitful angle to consider might be to elaborate on "want more control over my playing", but I think I've contributed enough to get started. Welcome to PW.

Last edited by wower; 02/21/13 02:48 AM. Reason: adding

Bad spellers of the world untie!
wower #2037794 02/23/13 02:23 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by wower
Oh how to analyze Bach pieces! They are just impenetrable to me. Just the kind of problem I like to tackle. On Invention No. 11 G minor I have scrawled in some frustration - Where is the melody?

I'm not sure that last question is answerable, since the "the" implies there's just one melody at any given time! Still, you've spurred me to look up the score on IMSLP, as this is the kind of problem I like to tackle too. smile I'm not very familiar with this one, but here are a few things that pop out in the score.

Starting in the first bar, there are a couple of distinctive motives that recur several times, namely the one the right hand that starts with an ascending scale and has a couple of ascending 7ths later on, and the one in the left hand with the groups of falling half-steps. The latter motive shows up with some cool tweaks later on: it's inverted in two places (easy to spot because the half-steps are ascending), and there's sort of an extended riff on it - right-side-up this time - in measures 7-10.

As for tonality, the key signature never changes, but we're pretty clearly in D minor in measures 7-10, C minor in measures 13-16, and back in good ol' G minor from measure 18 on. The relative major key of Bb gets at best a couple of quick cameos, in measure 5 and arguably in 17-18. Measure 10 contains a perfect cadence in D, per standard practice. (I'm pretty sure all the major key inventions contain a cadence in the dominant key, and the minor key ones have a cadence in either the dominant or the relative major.) Measure 16 also has a nice C minor cadence, followed instantly by a rather striking jump of a 9th in the bass.

In longer pieces, Bach often completes the cycle back to the tonic with a series of sequences, which are invariably awesome. Here, though, he settles for another short spell in what seems like Bb, straddling measures 17 and 18, but with those F#'s in measure 18 we're definitely back in black.

Sorry for going on so long, but even so this is barely even scratching the surface. Anyway, those are some of the kinds of road signs that can help make sense of Bach. It's always a delightful bit of problem solving!

Last edited by MathGuy; 02/23/13 02:27 AM. Reason: Added link to the score
Thomas3177 #2037869 02/23/13 10:23 AM
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Thomas,

Definitely NOT the Bach Inventions ...

the secret to making constructive progress
is to play a keyboard gem within your compass ...
and once you’ve got this under your belt
(and felt an encouraging boost of confidence) ...
move on the next adventure.

Small steps at the start ... whatever you do, don’t
submit yourself to the purgatory of a dose of
cod liver oil (medicinal Bach).

Playing the piano should always be a joy.

Why not rejuvenate your Chopin and Debussy works?

PS Try Bach when you feel that you are on more solid ground.

btb #2038052 02/23/13 04:30 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by btb
Hi Thomas,

Definitely NOT the Bach Inventions ...

the secret to making constructive progress
is to play a keyboard gem within your compass ...
and once you’ve got this under your belt
(and felt an encouraging boost of confidence) ...
move on the next adventure.

Small steps at the start ... whatever you do, don’t
submit yourself to the purgatory of a dose of
cod liver oil (medicinal Bach).

Playing the piano should always be a joy.

Why not rejuvenate your Chopin and Debussy works?

PS Try Bach when you feel that you are on more solid ground.

If the daily playing of Bach was good for Chopin, surely it's good for those of us playing/studying Chopin's works. The Two-part Inventions are indeed considered by many as "keyboard gems," they are widely accepted as excellent works for developing technique at a low-intermediate level, and many, many musicians consider playing them "a joy."

Purgatory? Cod-liver oil? I would suggest guarding against imposing one's own musical tastes and preferences on others without qualification [1]. If the OP has, indeed, Chopin and Debussy in his repertoire, the Bach Two-part Inventions should easily fit "under [his] belt" and be "within [his] compass."

[1]
Except, of course, when it comes to my oft-repeated opinion of Balakirev's "Islamey" smile

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Carey #2038072 02/23/13 05:28 PM
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by BDB

You should learn 2-3 of the inventions whether you "like" them or not - because, quite frankly, if you can't play these fairly simple works with some degree of control you most likely won't be able to perform more advanced contrapuntal works successfully either. cool

In an age where you can push a button and play any music that you like, that is the sort of advice that keeps people from learning to play an instrument.

Semipro Tech
MathGuy #2038121 02/23/13 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by MathGuy
Anyway, those are some of the kinds of road signs that can help make sense of Bach. It's always a delightful bit of problem solving!

I think there's been a bit of a miscommunication. The easy step is identifying each motif as it's playfully manipulated, distended, mirrored etc. throughout the Inventions and Sinfonias. However, in contrast to say a waltz, the dense polyphony starts right at the beginning and does not let up until the last chord. Voices move in and out seemingly on any beat, intermingling perfectly, lending the pieces a random feeling, but I prefer to think of it as inspired genius writing.

I'll continue a bit to sharpen my point because maybe there is help to be found. The "random" quality makes these pieces tricky to analyze structurally (and, for me, memorize). Maybe one should have written, "Where is the harmonic/melodic structure?" but I felt it didn't have the same furore in the spur of the moment I wanted to represent in pencil on my manuscript. For one thing - and I have been meaning to ask Kreisler this forever - how on earth can one decipher which key the modulation has switched to so quickly? Unlike Chopin's Waltzes or - or more recently for me, Tchaikovsky's Seasons - there seems no high-level handle which allows easy entry into the Inventions and Sinfonias, despite how short each one is. It's an enchanting quality that keep one coming back to the sets.

Bad spellers of the world untie!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission