Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2034631 - 02/17/13 08:19 AM Help with difficult stretches
Teenagepiano Offline

I'm learning La Valse d'amelie by Yann Tiersen.

The official version is found here if you haven't heard of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ

However, it requires a fairly awkward stretch(e.g in the beginning it is a D octave with e-f-e-f-e.

I can't maintain this stretch for long and my fingers hurt a bit if I maintain the stretch to long.

Can someone help me with either making the stretch easier or finding a different way to do it? I really want to play this piece.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2034640 - 02/17/13 08:49 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
You may have to change some things:

1) Redistribute the notes so that the other hand plays part of it instead
2) Change the octave in which those notes are played so it's doable
3) Creative use of pedal - if you have to hold down the D and play the EFEF thing, perhaps you can catch the D on the pedal and let it go while you play the EFEF
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2034686 - 02/17/13 10:36 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Or don't hold the bottom D. This would allow playing the EFEF with 12 after the first time it appears.

#2034866 - 02/17/13 05:15 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
Or don't hold the bottom D. This would allow playing the EFEF with 12 after the first time it appears.

I think your choice is between this and possibly playing the EF with just 1 (if you can reach the minor tenth). I had a hard time visualizing exactly what was written, so I'm hoping I interpreted what you're trying to read correctly.

I'm guessing letting go is probably the best option, but that's up to you.

#2034894 - 02/17/13 06:14 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Release the tension of the octave and put the weight to your middle notes. That is if I'm imagining the passage correctly.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2034914 - 02/17/13 06:34 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
pianoloverus Offline

The piece in guestion requires holding an octave D while playing EFEFEF many times(basically doing a slow trill) and similar passages throughout the piece. To do this exactly as written requires a big hand because of the stretch between 5-2 and 5-3 . Thus, unless the OP is very close to being able to do this comfortably as written(where a slight technical adjustment might help), I think the only solution is to not hold the lower D. If that is done I think one should use two different fingers(121212) on the EFEFEFEFE as using just the thumb (as suggested in one post) would be far more difficult.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/17/13 06:35 PM)

#2035002 - 02/17/13 09:37 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The piece in guestion requires holding an octave D while playing EFEFEF many times(basically doing a slow trill) and similar passages throughout the piece. To do this exactly as written requires a big hand because of the stretch between 5-2 and 5-3 . Thus, unless the OP is very close to being able to do this comfortably as written(where a slight technical adjustment might help), I think the only solution is to not hold the lower D. If that is done I think one should use two different fingers(121212) on the EFEFEFEFE as using just the thumb (as suggested in one post) would be far more difficult.

I suggested the thumb, but I did clarify saying I couldn't quite wrap my mind around the passage as described. Since you seem to know the piece, I'd say you are more than correct, because it would have been my first suggestion, too.

Incidentally, if it's inbetween the D's, Pogo had a good suggestion also. If it is between the D's, you may be able to do a 34 trill, but I still don't like it with the hand spread out. I would probably still release at least one of the notes myself.

#2035012 - 02/17/13 09:58 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux
Incidentally, if it's inbetween the D's, Pogo had a good suggestion also. If it is between the D's, you may be able to do a 34 trill, but I still don't like it with the hand spread out. I would probably still release at least one of the notes myself.
How could you hold a D with your fifth finger(Not even worrying about holding the other D) and trill on the E and F below it with 34?

#2035021 - 02/17/13 10:36 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

How could you hold a D with your fifth finger(Not even worrying about holding the other D) and trill on the E and F below it with 34?

I had a feeling that wouldn't be as clear as I hoped. Hold an octave D-D, and trill 34 on the EF between the D's. (I don't think that's what's going on in this piece, but if it was, it would be an option.)

#2035047 - 02/17/13 11:32 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I had a feeling that wouldn't be as clear as I hoped. Hold an octave D-D, and trill 34 on the EF between the D's. (I don't think that's what's going on in this piece, but if it was, it would be an option.)

I dont think that's possible... who can reach f to d with 4-5?

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2035094 - 02/18/13 02:43 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
I tried playing those notes, and it is certainly possible to play them with 125-135. However, I think that it would be easier if your arm is to the left of the octave. You should sit more towards the treble side of the keyboard, and move your elbow outward.

#2035142 - 02/18/13 07:50 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Pogorelich.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.

If you're playing a Bdim chord, 1st inversion, you'd play 5421. (DFBD)

#2035149 - 02/18/13 08:18 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: St. Louis area
Originally Posted By: Teenagepiano

The official version is found here if you haven't heard of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ

However, it requires a fairly awkward stretch(e.g in the beginning it is a D octave with e-f-e-f-e.

I can't maintain this stretch for long and my fingers hurt a bit if I maintain the stretch to long.

Can someone help me with either making the stretch easier or finding a different way to do it? I really want to play this piece.

Do you have sheet music for this? I went through half this piece without any stretches at all so I'm not sure where you mean.

#2035152 - 02/18/13 08:30 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Damon]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Damon

Do you have sheet music for this? I went through half this piece without any stretches at all so I'm not sure where you mean.

I looked at what I thought was the first page, and couldn't figure it out, either..

#2035191 - 02/18/13 10:17 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
Teenagepiano Offline

I looked at what I thought was the first page, and couldn't figure it out, either..

The piece is copyrighted(and quite recent), so I don't think I'll be able to upload it here, but basically right after the intro you have the e-f-e-f part, the top notes must be held to carry the melody, with the left hand and e-f-e-f-e part serving as accompaniment.

It is only the first stretch(The D octave with the e-f part) that is difficult to maintain without hurting my hand, but I'll try some of the suggestions posted here.

#2035199 - 02/18/13 10:47 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

The piece is copyrighted(and quite recent), so I don't think I'll be able to upload it here, but basically right after the intro you have the e-f-e-f part, the top notes must be held to carry the melody, with the left hand and e-f-e-f-e part serving as accompaniment.

It is only the first stretch(The D octave with the e-f part) that is difficult to maintain without hurting my hand, but I'll try some of the suggestions posted here.

Unfortunately, this is not descriptive enough for me to be able to figure out what notes are being played. I can't figure out if you're playing a D-D octave, if the EF notes are above, below, or in-between the D's, what (if anything) can be redistributed. Hopefully, the others know the piece or have figured it out, and their advice will be more helpful.

#2035201 - 02/18/13 10:51 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
Teenagepiano Offline

Unfortunately, this is not descriptive enough for me to be able to figure out what notes are being played. I can't figure out if you're playing a D-D octave, if the EF notes are above, below, or in-between the D's, what (if anything) can be redistributed. Hopefully, the others know the piece or have figured it out, and their advice will be more helpful.

the e-f notes are inbetween the D octave.

Edited by Teenagepiano (02/18/13 10:51 AM)

#2035213 - 02/18/13 11:09 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

I'm so confused.

My impression was that you were ultimately suggesting a reach of F-D with 4-5.

#2035228 - 02/18/13 11:33 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Pogorelich.]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I'm so confused.

My impression was that you were ultimately suggesting a reach of F-D with 4-5.

Once I read your reply, I had a feeling that was the case. I'm not sure whose hands would be large enough to reach that, but mine most definitely are not! laugh

OP- Okay, so the EF trill is in-between the D-octave. Great. You have quite a few options:

1. Hold the 15 octave (but release the tension in your hand, as Pogo suggested), and play the trill with 34.

2. Release your thumb, as pianoloverus suggested, but continue to hold the bottom D. Play the trill with whichever available fingers feels most comfortable. (You may have to switch fingers on the bottom D to make this more comfortable. IE, replace the 5 with a 4 or even a 3, depending on which fingers you trill with.)

3. Release your pinky, but continue to hold the top D. Play the trill with whichever available fingers feels most comfortable (probably 35 or 45).

4. Release the octave entirely, and play the trill with whichever fingers feel most comfortable (probably 23, 12 or 13).

I would not take my original suggestion that you might play the trill all with the thumb. That was under the impression the stretch was a minor tenth, which is no longer the case. That suggestion is definitely no longer valid.

Hope this was more helpful. smile

#2035375 - 02/18/13 04:54 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Could you give the point in time on the youtube video?

#2035391 - 02/18/13 05:27 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Derulux]
pianoloverus Offline

+
OP- Okay, so the EF trill is in-between the D-octave. Great. You have quite a few options:

1. Hold the 15 octave (but release the tension in your hand, as Pogo suggested), and play the trill with 34.

2. Release your thumb, as pianoloverus suggested, but continue to hold the bottom D. Play the trill with whichever available fingers feels most comfortable. (You may have to switch fingers on the bottom D to make this more comfortable. IE, replace the 5 with a 4 or even a 3, depending on which fingers you trill with.)

3. Release your pinky, but continue to hold the top D. Play the trill with whichever available fingers feels most comfortable (probably 35 or 45).

4. Release the octave entirely, and play the trill with whichever fingers feel most comfortable (probably 23, 12 or 13).
Not sure I should "beat this dead horse" anymore but most of these seem to make things even more difficult. I'd assume that when the OP asked his question he was trying to hold the octave and play the trill with 2323 as no other fingers seem possible.

1. If one just releases the tension but holds both notes in the octave this might help a little if the OP was already close to playing things but it still requires basically the same stretching.

2. If one releases the thumb how can one still hold down the bottom D?

3. If one releases the pinky one cannot continue hold the upper D. Perhaps you reversed upper an lower in these statements?

Edited by pianoloverus (02/18/13 05:29 PM)

#2035396 - 02/18/13 05:37 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
currawong Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Down Under
Just an observation: Derulux seems to think the passage in question is for the LH, and pianoloverus thinks it's RH. So, Teenagepiano, which is it?

#2035403 - 02/18/13 05:44 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: currawong]
pianoloverus Offline

Originally Posted By: currawong
Just an observation: Derulux seems to think the passage in question is for the LH, and pianoloverus thinks it's RH. So, Teenagepiano, which is it?
RH, because I listened to the piece as I had never heard it before. But that probably explains why there have been different suggestions on the thread that seem somewhat contradictory!

#2035440 - 02/18/13 07:00 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: pianoloverus]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: currawong
RH, because I listened to the piece as I had never heard it before. But that probably explains why there have been different suggestions on the thread that seem somewhat contradictory!

It certainly does! I didn't, for one second, consider a RH issue. Absolutely my fault if it's the RH!

#2035445 - 02/18/13 07:09 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Er..., yes, I've just tried it out on my piano, playing by ear, and it's definitely in the RH. Though my fingers are obviously misshapen as I have no difficulty playing - and holding - the octaves while playing the inner bits with 2-3, despite having small hands (just about stretching to a tenth).

I wasn't going to try the music out until some of the posts left me scratching my head.... wink

#2035473 - 02/18/13 08:12 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: bennevis]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Er..., yes, I've just tried it out on my piano playing by ear, and it's definitely in the RH. Though my fingers are obviously misshapen as I have no difficulty playing - and holding - the octaves while playing the inner bits with 2-3, despite having small hands (just about stretching to a tenth).

I wasn't going to try the music out until some of the posts left me scratching my head.... wink

To be honest, I'm still scratching my head.. laugh

I'll bow out, though, since you guys seem to have this figured out way better than I do.

#2036230 - 02/20/13 04:52 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
spanishbuddha Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: UK
On my transcription, from the 'official' publisher, where the piece starts 3:4 time in bar 33, it is not a D octave in one hand but rather D5 RH, D3 LH, with the D's held during E4-F4-E4-F4 in the RH.

#2036259 - 02/20/13 07:42 AM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: bennevis]
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bennevis
Er..., yes, I've just tried it out on my piano, playing by ear, and it's definitely in the RH. Though my fingers are obviously misshapen as I have no difficulty playing - and holding - the octaves while playing the inner bits with 2-3, despite having small hands (just about stretching to a tenth).

I learned it by ear from the video. There is no reason to hold the lower D since it will be re-struck by the left hand when the right hand plays the F. My fingering for the right hand would be:

D
D E F E F E
1 2 1 2 1 2

#2037205 - 02/21/13 08:25 PM Re: Help with difficult stretches [Re: Teenagepiano]
Teenagepiano Offline

Thank you for all the responses. The part is in the right hand. My teacher said that the top notes had to be held to carry the melody, but the problem was the stretch on the first couple of notes as I found it fairly awkward. This is probably quite hard to explain what I'm visualising so I guess I'll attempt some suggestions on here before discussing it more with my teacher.

As to the part, it is 0:42 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyo4tNwNIvQ

The top part essentially goes to a D and moves to a C-B-A. The D part was the one I found difficult, but I guess it is hard to get proper help without the score.

Although I appreciate the help greatly.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cleaning strings
by PhilipInChina
32 minutes 13 seconds ago
recording digital piano
by johan d
Today at 03:38 AM
Ambitious Jazz beginner
by Ruan
Today at 01:10 AM
Is this a real Steinway?
by chernobieff
Yesterday at 11:51 PM
DGX-650 TOPIC
by Jtreimer
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
60 registered (barbaram, beeboss, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 1130 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76610 Members
42 Forums
158408 Topics
2326275 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission