Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2036408 - 02/20/13 12:42 PM Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
Forgive an adult beginner posting here, but thought some of the pianists on here might be interested in this:

http://alanrusbridger.com/playitagain/competition

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2036430 - 02/20/13 01:27 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
This is somewhat bizarre! On the one hand, they ask for video submissions "if you have what it takes to play Chopin's 'Ballade No. 1', while on the other they add that "Pianists of all standards and levels of experience [are] welcome."

I don't believe that everyone who fits into the second category would necessarily qualify for the first.

While the judges might constitute a viable jury, I'm not sure that the grand prize, including a tour of the Guardian offices and a chance to meet Alan Rusbridger are great incentives, are they?

Regards,

#2036435 - 02/20/13 01:33 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: BruceD
....I'm not sure that the grand prize, including a tour of the Guardian offices and a chance to meet Alan Rusbridger are great incentives, are they?

ha

That was my main thought too.

But dunno, maybe if you read that paper you're dying to meet one Alan Rusbridger.

#2036502 - 02/20/13 03:50 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
EdwardianPiano Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Liverpool, England
I think winning it may be the incentive rather than the prizes!

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."

Ludwig Van Beethoven

#2036527 - 02/20/13 04:43 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
The contest seems to be a (perhaps) clever way to promote the book which was about the author's attempt to learn the G minor Ballade.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/20/13 04:44 PM)

#2036533 - 02/20/13 04:52 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

In case anyone doesn't know the background to this competition, Alan Rusbridger set out to learn the Chopin G minor Ballade within six months, and perform it publicly. Which he did (though he had to extend it to 18 months), but to what degree of proficiency, I don't know because the performance isn't (as far as I know) available on YouTube. Apparently, due to work pressures, he rarely managed even twenty minutes of practice time a day, but he certainly wasn't a beginner before he started on this venture.

He wrote about his trials and tribulations in his book 'Play It Again', in which he even gets to discuss the piece with people like Stephen Hough, Murray Perahia, Charles Rosen and Daniel Barenboim, among others (he obviously has connections wink ).

#2036690 - 02/21/13 12:36 AM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
I'd certainly enjoy a trip to London. Too bad most beginners don't have Chopin's first Ballade in their repertoire (ironic given reasons seen in BruceD's post).

#2036849 - 02/21/13 09:48 AM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
FarmGirl Online   content

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I read artcle about it and Alan is not a beginner. Among the true adult beginners, I only met one such beginner who can fit the description in my life. So these people exist.

Separately, my teacher knew another who went on to be a piano performance major in a well known conservatory. She noticed his incredible talent at her Class Piano. He could play anything by ear. She would sing a tune and he immediately played back the tune on the puano. She taught him how to read music litterally from ABC. The first real piece he wanted play was 1st Ballade. He not only played it but totally played it well. It was one of his audition pieces.

I would love to learn the piece someday. Not now. I am not ready to tuckle this yet. I think this is a great competition for those who meet the requirement. Maybe high chance of winning?
Solo - Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Schubert Sonata D960 Andante sostenute (9/7/14), Bach f minor Fugue WTC Bk1, Rachmaninoff Elegie Op 3 #1, Chopin Trois Nouvelles Etudes #1

#2037279 - 02/22/13 12:41 AM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Looking at the section where there's an analysis of the score and various artists' opinions on the piece, it's a bit upsetting that most of it talks about how difficult everything really is. Certainly there are better things to talk about, right?
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2037493 - 02/22/13 12:20 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Um... Yeah.

Although, a trip to London would be pretty neat.

#2037516 - 02/22/13 01:14 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: Orange Soda King]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Um... Yeah.

... except for the fact that rule no 2 eliminates most of us :

"2. The main competition is open to anyone aged 13 or over who is a resident of the UK or the Republic of Ireland ...."

#2037517 - 02/22/13 01:15 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

....rule no 2 eliminates most of us :

"2. The main competition is open to anyone aged 13 or over who is a resident of the UK or the Republic of Ireland ....

We could move there, and then we'd be eligible to win the trip to London! grin

#2037547 - 02/22/13 02:30 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: BruceD]
Teenagepiano Offline

Originally Posted By: Orange Soda King
Um... Yeah.

... except for the fact that rule no 2 eliminates most of us :

"2. The main competition is open to anyone aged 13 or over who is a resident of the UK or the Republic of Ireland ...."

Its backwards for me; I'm eligible, but I can't play Chopin's first ballade. In fact that only Chopin piece I currently know almost fully is Op28 No4.

Edited by Teenagepiano (02/22/13 02:31 PM)

#2037569 - 02/22/13 03:20 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark_C
....rule no 2 eliminates most of us :

"2. The main competition is open to anyone aged 13 or over who is a resident of the UK or the Republic of Ireland ....

We could move there, and then we'd be eligible to win the trip to London! grin

Where would we move to? London?

#2037570 - 02/22/13 03:21 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Online   content

Where would we move to? London?

Preferably -- that would cut down on the organization's expenses!

#2037589 - 02/22/13 04:06 PM Re: Chopin competition with the Guardian newspaper [Re: EdwardianPiano]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." (Samuel Johnson)

Classical concerts (including the International Piano Series which this season include Benjamin Grosvenor, Daniil Trifonov, Behzod Abduraimov, Mitsuko Uchida, Yulianna Avdeeva, Alice Sara Ott, Stephen Kovacevich, Kirill Gerstein, Angela Hewitt, Denis Kozhukhin, Piotr Anderszewski, Steven Osborne, Karim Said, Francesco Piemontesi...) almost every day, the Queen at Buckingham Palace, Kate & William, Horseguards Parade, Westminster Abbey, the Beefeaters at the Tower of London......what more incentive do you need to live in London?

Apart from entering the competition, of course... wink

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
75,000 Members and Growing!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
85 registered (AndrewJCW, angga888, AimeeO, 26 invisible), 1334 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75509 Members
42 Forums
156146 Topics
2293058 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
14 minutes 48 seconds ago
Youtube! :)
by PianoPlayer98
Today at 01:47 AM
Headphones Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear
by khopin
Today at 12:54 AM
How struts define pitch variation between tunings
by Bosendorff
Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Pianist Noah Landis - Lowell, MA Sept. 6th
by Piano World
Yesterday at 06:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission