Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2035319 - 02/18/13 02:59 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Kuan, that's an insane program!
Btw if you want I can hear the Franck sometime and plant some ideas if you need. I know the piece inside out!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2035324 - 02/18/13 03:08 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
Not as much as I would like. I've been using a music journal app recently to see how much precisely and it was less than what I thought.

With this revelation I've pushed it to an average of 2 hours a day.

#2035407 - 02/18/13 05:49 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
The Hound Offline

I find it a struggle to get enough time, or as much as I'd like. I aim for at least an hour - sometimes I manage more (did about 90 minutes today), sometimes less. It would be even harder if I didn't work from home. Even then, I have to get any required work out of the way and give the dog a nice long walk. Then if it's a weekday and my wife's working too I have to get our fourteen-month-old from the child minder, so I normally need to fit playing in before that. Playing when after she's in bed works sometimes, other times it wakes her up.

When the wife works weekends I basically get no practise done, as it's pretty much all parenting duties. Should improve as the little one gets older and doesn't need constant supervision... until no. 2 comes along, anyway. Maybe by then we will have a nanny or au pair.

Could do a bit more at night, I suppose. I have a Yamaha S90 synth - not ideal, and no sostenuto or una corda, but it has 88 weighted keys and a sustain pedal, at least.

#2035423 - 02/18/13 06:26 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: FarmGirl]
zillybug Offline

Loc: USA
I usually practice about 2 hours a day on workdays and 3 hours on weekends. It varies some from week to week depending on what I am working on. when I first start a Bach invention, it takes me a long time to get it memorized hands separate (This is what my teacher wants before I put it together) so this past week I put in about 18 hours at the piano as I am also working on memorizing a Chopin waltz at the same time. I'm in my sixties and memorizing music is a lot harder than when I was younger. At the same time, I figure it's good for my brain so I do it. Most of the time I really enjoy my time at the piano. As someone else said, sometimes when I get home from work, I'm tired and don't feel like practicing but once I start I feel better and the time flies.
Zillybug

#2035454 - 02/18/13 07:24 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
tomtomasino Offline

Three hours a day. Two first thing in the morning, and then a third hour later in AM, every day.

I'm retired, so I have time to practice even more, but there seems to be a point after which I fatigue, and I feel may be counter productive to practice further.

TomasinoTom
aka Tomasino

#2035478 - 02/18/13 08:27 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
jdw Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
There's been the occasional weekend day when I've felt it's "enough"--but normally I'm wishing for more. This is probably a good thing, as it keeps me eager to play.

I don't keep track of hours spent. I used to, but then realized this served no good purpose for me.

Since music is an avocation for me, it's often time stolen from other things I could/should be doing (not quite like time spent playing video games or watching tv, but still an indulgence). So I don't document it.

I'd practice piano more if I weren't also trying to keep up my flute embouchure (OT).
Mozart, K 330
Brahms, Op. 118 no. 2

#2035511 - 02/18/13 09:32 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: Pogorelich.
Btw if you want I can hear the Franck sometime and plant some ideas if you need. I know the piece inside out!

Yesss, I will need help! + I'll need help on the Liszt too. I think I'll be ready by mid-march with both? So far I've learned the 4th movement of the Franck and have worked through most of the 1st movement, but the second one is tough.

The Liszt sonata meanwhile is ridiculous but soo fun to practice!
Rachmaninoff - Piano Sonata no.1

#2035538 - 02/18/13 10:54 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Pogorelich.]
AnneJ Offline

Loc: Toronto, ON
What I always find fascinating is people who have a non-music related job, the typical 8 hours a day, and still find the energy to practice every day. How do you do it???

I mean, when I have class and work on the same day, which can total about 8 hours, my practicing suffers immensely because my brain is just not as fresh as when I practice first thing in the day. And then I barely get anything done and usually can't do more than 3-4 hours.

I get 1-1.5 hours on weekdays; more on weekends.

Sometimes I am just too tired, or have too much work to do in the evenings and don't have time or energy to practice.

I have absolutely no time in the mornings before I head off. There are simply too many bodies to get out the door and on their way to work or school. When I get home, we make and eat dinner, supervise any homework that remains to be done, do any chores that need to be done, then get the children off to bed. That's when I can begin my practice, but I don't want to practice too late into the night or I'll keep everybody from getting their sleep, including myself.

I find practicing is a release from the cares of the day. It engages my brain in a different way than my work. Practicing also helps me to be more patient at work. And, if I get stuck in a boring meeting, I can mentally run through my music and think about some of the bits that need more work (there are lots of those).

#2035554 - 02/18/13 11:39 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Kuanpiano]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

Yesss, I will need help! + I'll need help on the Liszt too. I think I'll be ready by mid-march with both? So far I've learned the 4th movement of the Franck and have worked through most of the 1st movement, but the second one is tough.

The Liszt sonata meanwhile is ridiculous but soo fun to practice!

Cool! I'm away until mid March, and then have a couple of recitals, but done around the 24th! I'd love to hear it all!

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2035558 - 02/18/13 11:53 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I LOVE the second movement of the Franck sonata. I'll one day learn it and try to find violinists to play it with me. Usually it's the other way around, right? Lol.

Pogo, do you run your music and your practicing strategies/thinking about actually practicing through your head while doing other things? I do it all the time (same with conducting), haha. I think it helps me a lot.

#2035560 - 02/18/13 11:54 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Today I got about 5 hours in (on a really nice newly restored Steinway L). Unfortunately, I rarely get in more than an hour or two unless I have something important coming up.

#2035562 - 02/18/13 11:56 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
hsheck Offline

I'm a junior in high-school and I am very dedicated to practicing. I wake up early and practice 2 hours of violin before school and 4 to 8 hours of piano after school. This summer I'm looking to practice 8 to 12 hours a day of piano. smile

Edited by hsheck (02/18/13 11:58 PM)

#2035566 - 02/18/13 11:59 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Are you auditioning for any summer festivals? Keep up the dedication; that's really neat that you also play violin. My favorite violin works are the Bach solo sonatas and partitas, and Brahms' violin concerto smile

#2035574 - 02/19/13 12:12 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Orange Soda King]
hsheck Offline

My piano teacher is interested in having me attend the Luther College Summer Music Festival in Decorah,IA this summer. She is part of the camp's faculty. On top of my college audition repertoire, I'll be learning Saint Saens 2nd piano concerto which I'll use to compete in the camp's concerto competition. smile

#2035703 - 02/19/13 08:04 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Vid]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted By: Vid
I've been using a music journal app recently to see how much precisely and it was less than what I thought.

With this revelation I've pushed it to an average of 2 hours a day.

What app? Is it for Android?
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2035905 - 02/19/13 02:28 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: Morodiene]
Vid Online   content
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver, B.C.
iPhone - its called MusicJournal. Its basically a glorified timer but somewhat useful.

#2035924 - 02/19/13 03:13 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: hsheck]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: hsheck
I'm a junior in high-school and I am very dedicated to practicing. I wake up early and practice 2 hours of violin before school and 4 to 8 hours of piano after school. This summer I'm looking to practice 8 to 12 hours a day of piano. smile
If you practice that much you must really love music, but it seems hard to get a reasonable amount of sleep and recreation/relaxation with that kind of schedule.

If school starts at 8:30am I'm assuming you'd have to get up at 7:30 am the latest but you said you practice two hours of violin in the morning so that would bring it back to 5:30am or earlier. If school gets out at say 2:30 pm and you get home by 3pm then just four hours practicing would be up to 7pm. With just two hours of homework and time to eat dinner that's up to 10 pm already. I guess some high school students get less than 6 hours sleep during on weekdays but I think some of them a least make up for it on the weekends.

Have you already decided you want a career as a musician?

#2035926 - 02/19/13 03:17 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: hsheck]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
[...]This summer I'm looking to practice 8 to 12 hours a day of piano. smile

That sounds to me like gross over-kill and probably not wise. How much can you efficiently accomplish after three or four hours? Even if the physical stamina is there, how mentally alert can you be without ending up practicing inefficiently? After about three hours, diminishing returns begin to set in for most people.

Regards,

#2035933 - 02/19/13 03:29 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
I suppose it depends on what you mean by "practice".
There is more to the piano than banging on the keys.

Outside of the 3 or 4 hours on the instrument you could spend time listening to recordings, studying and analyzing scores, practicing concentration or meditating, relaxation or Alexander technique, brushing up on your harmony, solfege, or musical history, taking breaks to sight read or play repertoire pieces for enjoyment and refresh, attend recitals and concerts, etc. etc.

Much of the working world has to spend 8 hours per day working at a minimum at whatever they are doing. However, most with the autonomy to be able to plan their days work to alternate intense activities with less intense activities.

I think it would be easy for someone with the time and motivation to devote 8 to 12 hours to their "practice" of mastering the piano. We all should be so lucky.

#2035968 - 02/19/13 04:27 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: theJourney]
hsheck Offline

Being home schooled has allowed me a flexible schedule to help pursue my musical interests, school work and also extracurricular activities such as boy scouts, sports, fishing, drama, skiing, etc. where as if I was enrolled in public school the time for music would be limited.

Here is what the average day looks like for me:

5:55 am wake up
6:00 to 8 violin
8:15 High school Orchestra
9:00 high school choir
10:00 to 3:00 school work
3:00 to 10 piano practice 10 pm sleep

Now, this schedule changes do to college orchestra, sports , instrument lessons etc. smile

#2036057 - 02/19/13 07:04 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: theJourney]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
Originally Posted By: theJourney

Outside of the 3 or 4 hours on the instrument you could spend time listening to recordings, studying and analyzing scores, practicing concentration or meditating, relaxation or Alexander technique, brushing up on your harmony, solfege, or musical history, taking breaks to sight read or play repertoire pieces for enjoyment and refresh, attend recitals and concerts, etc. etc.

Much of the working world has to spend 8 hours per day working at a minimum at whatever they are doing. However, most with the autonomy to be able to plan their days work to alternate intense activities with less intense activities.

I think it would be easy for someone with the time and motivation to devote 8 to 12 hours to their "practice" of mastering the piano. We all should be so lucky.
I wouldn't call 8-12 hours/day lucky at all.

Perhaps some professionals or want to be professionals at certain times of their lives practice this much, but I think this is rare even in their case. My guess is that even most professionals would rarely choose to pratice 8-12 hours/day if they didn't have to in order to learn what their teachers demanded of, i.e. if it wasn't necessary for their career goals or engagements.

For the 99+% of the rest of the piano playing world much more than 2-3 hours makes little sense IMO. If one practiced 12 hours and slept 8 hours, there is only time left for about three meals, personal hygiene, and very little else. So 12 hours would be an extreme amount for almost anyone and extremely inappropriate for non amateurs who want some balance of activities in their lives.

Even five minutes spent "banging on the keys" is not good.

Edited by pianoloverus (02/19/13 07:12 PM)

#2036092 - 02/19/13 08:54 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Piano Again Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Washington metro
Hm, I'm going crazy over this right now. I work full time, am taking piano lessons and practicing piano maybe 2 hours a day during the week, 3-4 hours on weekends, plus practicing the cello when I can (have a concerto performance tentatively set for the fall), teaching a couple of students ... practice time never seems like enough.

Check out my blog !

#2036095 - 02/19/13 09:07 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: BruceD]
JoelW Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
[...]This summer I'm looking to practice 8 to 12 hours a day of piano. smile

That sounds to me like gross over-kill and probably not wise. How much can you efficiently accomplish after three or four hours? Even if the physical stamina is there, how mentally alert can you be without ending up practicing inefficiently? After about three hours, diminishing returns begin to set in for most people.

Regards,

Seriously, don't do this. Total waste. The optimal practice time according to various Juilliard professors is around 5 hours.

#2036120 - 02/19/13 10:14 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: hsheck]
ABC Vermonter Online   content

I admire your determination. You are a superman. smile

As a freshman at a public high school, this is a typical schedule of mine:

7:20 wake up.
7:50 piano time.
8:20 leave home for school.
3:45 come home, doing my homework.
5:00 piano time.
6:30 dinner.
7:00 Big Bang Theory rerun.
7:30 or 8:00 back to homework and study depending on how much school work left.
10:00 time to sleep after a bit of internet time.

This gives me about 2 hours of practice during school.

#2036136 - 02/19/13 10:36 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: hsheck]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Well, if you enjoy it... Make sure not to overdue it if you feel unwell or tired. And I guess you don't live in an apartment building? smile

Music is my best friend.

#2036175 - 02/20/13 12:35 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: gooddog]
BruceD Online   content

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: gooddog
[...] Teaching is exhausting. I have to be "on" for 5 straight hours and the multitasking doesn't stop from 6:30 until 3:30 p.m. [...]

I think only those of us who teach or who have taught can appreciate the demands of class-room teaching, a job that some claim is easy because it's only a few hours a day with "summers off. (Yeah, right! - as they say.) Being "on" for five or six hours means just that. You can't tell a secretary to "hold my calls," while you take a break, you can't close the classroom door to work on a project in the calm and quiet of your own space when you have to be teaching, and that teaching very often involves consecutive classes at different levels without breaks and hardly any time to shift gears.

Isn't it ironic that students can ask to "leave the room" - ostensibly for bathroom breaks - whereas teachers can't?

Good teaching means that you are "on stage" continuously and relentlessly, trying your best for every minute of class time to engage, involve and captivate the interest of your students; if you aren't successful at that, the students are the first to grasp that and you lose them. Believe me, in a classroom full of students you don't want to risk losing one of them, for even a moment, or you lose control.

As Deborah says, it's exhausting!

Regards,

#2036313 - 02/20/13 09:40 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: theJourney]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: theJourney

Completely. And I usually just call that "creative process" as opposed to "practicing". Sometimes you can come up with the most unusual things in the studio, reading a score.

#2036360 - 02/20/13 11:16 AM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: BruceD]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Originally Posted By: gooddog
[...] Teaching is exhausting. I have to be "on" for 5 straight hours and the multitasking doesn't stop from 6:30 until 3:30 p.m. [...]

I think only those of us who teach or who have taught can appreciate the demands of class-room teaching, a job that some claim is easy because it's only a few hours a day with "summers off. (Yeah, right! - as they say.) Being "on" for five or six hours means just that. ...As Deborah says, it's exhausting! Regards,

Thanks Bruce. I know you know! It's frustrating when the media blames all the problems in education on the teachers. I don't want to hijack this thread with a rant, but from the teachers' perspective, most of the problems in public education can be solved in the home. I challenge anyone to find a more dedicated, harder working group of people.

Deborah

#2036409 - 02/20/13 12:42 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
floydthebarber71 Offline

Loc: South Africa
It's depressing! I got into piano for a year when I was in university, I could manage a couple hours a day and progressed quite rapidly....fast forward to the present [work, family, kids], and I can't get time for anything frown Weekends are totally out, and if I'm not exhausted from work, then it's about 30min if I'm lucky. It's going to be slow progress, and might be disappointing as I have big goals, high aspirations, etc etc. Sigh...life!

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

#2036452 - 02/20/13 02:01 PM Re: How much time do you get to practice? [Re: JoelW]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Reading all this stuff makes me not want a family or kids but to continue what I'm doing....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
114 registered (accordeur, A Guy, ABC Vermonter, 33 invisible), 1573 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156112 Topics
2292504 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Surge protection?
by TX-Bluebonnet
24 minutes 4 seconds ago
Opening up an old Piano
by musicNow
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Unusual Big Key Depth Yamaha Motif Xs7
by Ivan Jochner
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
Yamaha P255
by pianist.ame
Yesterday at 09:12 PM
Just Tried Brand New Mason and Hamlins....
by Paul678
Yesterday at 09:10 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission