2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
C
I think bennevis is right on. Everyone likes music they can connect to on some level. Most people, however, want music they can hum along. Composers disconnected from the reality may be taught at universities one day but few people (if any at all) will ever attend a concert of their music.

-- Zbynek N.

Learning to play the piano since 06/2013 on a Kawai CA-95.

Music is what feelings sound like. ~ Author Unknown
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Hookxs
Ennio Morricone.

Took a long while for his name to pop up! Morricone, Grusin ... they re still alive. So JW can t be the greatest film composer alive.

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
I don't think time affects greatness or not. I couldn't care less if Uvstolskaya is forgotten in 10 years time . She ll always be one of the greatest in the 20th century to me. While Williams will be a very competent copyst whose music will never irritate but will never move m either.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by debrucey
In what way is my profile quiet?

If that link was there all along, my apologies.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Derulux
Originally Posted by JoelW
Originally Posted by Mark_C
You never know things like this till after the fact, and I think the basic ideas of "composer" and of "classical" has changed and are probably evolving faster than ever before, to an extent that we don't have much idea of how this will be considered in the future.

I think it's quite possible that in the future, people like John Lennon and Stephen Sondheim will be regarded as great "classical" composers, and as per your mentioning film, John Williams too.

My answer is a clear yes, and that it's probably wrong to think we have fewer of them now than there were in the past.

I agree that there are great music makers amongst us right now and throughout the 1900's, but pop music and its variations are a much different kind of composition than classical/contemporary-classical music. I am not familiar with any of the modern-day composers of the classical sense, but I'd be willing to bet that they are not innovating the way Bach, Beethoven, or any of the classical titans did. Or are they?... I'd love to learn more about this. Who are some significant modern-day composers?

...and I'll be darned if John Williams is ever considered a great composer, now or in the future. cry

Two ideas I'll jump in with, but first let me say this: I fall firmly into the camp that believes there is no such thing as "good" or "bad" art, but rather, only art that you either like or dislike. I believe that to say otherwise is extremely arrogant, because it presumes that 'your' tastes are better than 'mine'. wink

Now, then:

1. John Williams is a great composer. He composes for film, and in that medium, there is no one better (arguably, ever).

2. Weren't Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, and the rest really composing what was "popular" music at that time? We have innovators today just as much as we had innovators in the past. Look at rap music. Didn't exist thirty years ago. Look at sonata form. Didn't exist before Handel and Mozart, and modern sonata form didn't truly exist before Beethoven.

Look at the "music video". Didn't exist in its modern form until Michael Jackson. Until Liszt, most if not all pianists played with the piano facing 'straight' at the audience, instead of turning it sideways.

If you use a very narrow-minded definition of "innovation," then yes, only the people you want to fit in that category will be innovators. But if you take it in a much broader sense, you can see that there are some wonderful innovations going on even now.

Williams the greatest? Please ... Nino Rota ... Even Chaplin ... Morricone ... Max Steiner

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have to learn to avoid threads like this entirely. It's much better for the wellbeing of both my furniture and my forehead.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Given the restrictions on the definition of "composer," this is like arguing about who is the greatest player in double A minor league baseball.

Semipro Tech
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
John Williams is definitely not as good as whoever wrote and arranged the music for Hello, Dolly! (1969 film version)

That stuff is genius.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Given the restrictions on the definition of "composer," this is like arguing about who is the greatest player in double A minor league baseball.

But the question pertained specifically to that 'restriction'. I didn't ask who the great musicians of our time are. I know they exist, obviously. I asked about the contemporary-classical scene in specific.

B
BDB Offline
B
Yes, the greatest player of the minor leagues of music!

Semipro Tech
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by izaldu
Originally Posted by Hookxs
Ennio Morricone.

Took a long while for his name to pop up! Morricone, Grusin ... they re still alive. So JW can t be the greatest film composer alive.

I consider Bernard Herrmann one of the all-time great film composers as well.

I'll take a stab. By your classification, the answer seems to be "no".

To say contemporary and classical in the same breath is the answer, in my opinion.

Contemporary is defined as "happening, existing, living, or coming into being during the same period of time"

Classical music is defined as that from the 'Common Practice Period', generally agreed to be 1600-1900.

The word 'great' to me doesn't just apply to the talent required to produce the music, but also to the level of awareness required to be recognized by 'civilization'. It also applies to achieving 'greatness' in the era to which the endeavor is actually relevant. From a popular perspective, 'classical' music composed now attempts to emulate another time/era. So, while it may be good, better, or even genius from an academic/musical standpoint, that music is not authentic. It's actually not contemporary, either. It references a period that was ONCE popular music. A heady thought for sure, but something to ponder.... if there really should be folks currently writing 'classical' music. If you compose it today, it's just, well, ....music. Mozart didn't call himself a 'classical music composer'. He was a composer.

To me, that's why you get contemporary composers extolling some deep and other worldly meaning to their music. They are attempting to advance a concept or create a new 'genre'. I love and appreciate classical music. It's doubtful anyone new will come along with such profound affect.

The evolution of this question seems to then ask... "are there any genres of piano/orchestral music today that will achieve the same 'greatness' as from the common practice period?"

With all the outstanding gangster-rap songs hitting the street... sadly I think not.

Originally Posted by Clayman
I think we can't really judge who that "great" composer is until their work stands the test of time.

I agree, and to that extent I would quibble with how most of the posts are expressing it.

Having said that, though, I would nominate John Williams or maybe Michael Giacchino but since you lot have already disregarded the former as "great", feel free to disagree.

Remember, it was me who first mentioned Williams, and I didn't say that at all. I put it speculatively in the future tense, like how you want these things. smile

Originally Posted by not Clayman
John Williams is definitely not great.

(not showing who it was who said it, in the interests of his furniture and forehead) grin

For one thing, I thought the concluding thing in "Close Encounters" -- it was sort of like a "chamber symphony" -- was in itself pretty close to great: the music in its own right, and how it matched the scenario of different civilizations finding their communication through music. Call me sappy ha but it was one of my most moving musical experiences ever, including everything.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
There will never ever be another Beethoven- he was in a class of his own.

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by EdwardianPiano
There will never ever be another Beethoven- he was in a class of his own.

That is true of everyone who ever lived!

Semipro Tech
C
C
The times are changing, that much is certain. As RBMusik pointed out, the famous composers of the past centuries did NOT consider themselves "classical", nor were they considered that by any stretch of imagination. Back then, education was scarce and only the most talented, gifted individuals were given education in the music theory area.

Now, in the era of technology that does pretty much everything for you, anyone can write music (to that extent, I saw a funny pic not long ago describing quite well the evolution of music composition and who can do it -- in 1700 it was the brightest minds on Earth, then through the centuries to 2000 when any owner of iMac can do it). One cannot help but wonder what kind of music the composers living in the 18th century would have written, had they had the tools and possibilities we have nowadays. Something tells me it would sound different.

At any rate, regardless of what debrucey's self-righteous attitude can or cannot digest, I do consider Williams and a handful of other composers great and I believe Williams has earned at least a bit of respect for himself from the contemporary orchestral music world for some of his works, like Schindler's List. I'm not saying every single of his works was a masterpiece in itself but to call him a plagiarist is unjust and derogatory at the very least.

Oh, and as for me, my favorite composer now is Thomas Bergersen, a young talent from Norway currently writing amazingly imaginative tunes for his production music company called Two Steps From H_e_l_l (silly filter changes that to "heck"...). You can look him up, YouTube is full of his stuff and the album "Two Steps From Heaven" might be a good start. His music is often very far from "classical" music but that's only for the better as far as I'm concerned. He's great in my books.

Last edited by Clayman; 02/20/13 03:01 PM.

-- Zbynek N.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by RBMusik
I'll take a stab. By your classification, the answer seems to be "no".

To say contemporary and classical in the same breath is the answer, in my opinion.

Contemporary is defined as "happening, existing, living, or coming into being during the same period of time"

Classical music is defined as that from the 'Common Practice Period', generally agreed to be 1600-1900.

The word 'great' to me doesn't just apply to the talent required to produce the music, but also to the level of awareness required to be recognized by 'civilization'. It also applies to achieving 'greatness' in the era to which the endeavor is actually relevant. From a popular perspective, 'classical' music composed now attempts to emulate another time/era. So, while it may be good, better, or even genius from an academic/musical standpoint, that music is not authentic. It's actually not contemporary, either. It references a period that was ONCE popular music. A heady thought for sure, but something to ponder.... if there really should be folks currently writing 'classical' music. If you compose it today, it's just, well, ....music. Mozart didn't call himself a 'classical music composer'. He was a composer.

To me, that's why you get contemporary composers extolling some deep and other worldly meaning to their music. They are attempting to advance a concept or create a new 'genre'. I love and appreciate classical music. It's doubtful anyone new will come along with such profound affect.

The evolution of this question seems to then ask... "are there any genres of piano/orchestral music today that will achieve the same 'greatness' as from the common practice period?"

With all the outstanding gangster-rap songs hitting the street... sadly I think not.

Actually, no, there are very many definitions of and interpretations of the word " classical ". Music from the so called Classical period is just one of many.

Writing like, or in the style of, these classical composers would be called neo-classisism. The question of the thread would then have to be changed to " Do you think there will ever be another great classic-style-period-style c.q. neo-classical composer?"

However, that is not the question posed by the thread. In fact, the question posed is not even " Do you think that there will ever by another great classical composer" but " composer " in general.

Kreisler has, yet again, provided perhaps the most satisfying answer.

Three meanings of the word " classical " that I believe would be very interesting to insert into the thread head and to continue discussing are:

1) in an idiom which most listeners would classify as belonging to the genre of art music, set apart from pop music;

2) the art music produced in, or rooted in, the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music, encompassing a broad period from roughly the 11th century to present times;

3) A work of art of recognized and established value judged over a period of time to be of the highest quality and outstanding of its kind.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I wonder if the OP could tell us the name of the most recent composer he knows of that he considers great.

As far as great composers currently getting wide distribution and attention for piano music, Carl Vine and Lowell Liebermann are the two who come to mind. Magnus Lindberg recently wrote a concerto that was premiered by Yefim Bronfman with NYP. James MacMillan also has a couple of new concerti published by Boosey & Hawkes.

And there are plenty of great composers whose piano output is limited:

Chen Yi, David Maslanka, Kevin Puts, Jennifer Higdon, Mason Bates, Max Richter, Nico Muhly, Carter Pann, etc...

I think there are a lot of factors that contribute to why we haven't found the next Chopin or Beethoven. I think people don't look very hard. I think the lack of sheet music retailers make it difficult to browse. Concert artists don't program/champion a lot of new music. Looking at the 10 recitals presented by the Chicago Symphony during the 2013/2014 season, we have:

Denk - Bach
Schiff - Bach
Trifonov - Stravinsky, Ravel, Schoenberg, Schumann
Kissin - Schubert and Scriabin
Uchida - Beethoven
Andsnes - Beethoven
The Labeques - Gershwin, Glass, Bernstein
Lugansky - Rachmaninoff, Franck, Prokofiev
Ax - Brahms, Dean, Mazzoli
Feltsman - Haydn, Schubert, Prokofiev

So...in ten recitals, there are only three living composers represented and only two new commissions (both from Ax.)

A better question to ask might be:

If another great composer appears, will anybody bother to notice?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
C
Good question. Maybe it's that people are not really that open to anything new. They have grown to recognize and love the old masters and sort of prefer/seek out concerts of their music. The new artists are therefore in a difficult position because they have to compete for their place under the sun while they really should not need to do that at all. There is plenty of room for new talent.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited by Clayman; 02/20/13 04:43 PM.

-- Zbynek N.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission