Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
123 registered (Anita Potter, Abby Pianoman, ando, 36251, anamnesis, 29 invisible), 1521 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2036302 - 02/20/13 09:19 AM Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action
trandinhnamanh Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum, and sorry for my english, I'm French.

I've just found a Yamaha CLP-990M (mahogany) after a longtime searching everywhere. It's in like new condition.

There's something I'd like to share about the CLP-990:

- Natural Keyboard: found ONLY on 3 Clavinova models: CLP-990, CLP-175 and CVP-900. It's far better than GH, GH3 or even Natural Wood (which is GH3 itself). After a key depth regulation, the CLP-990 rocks like my Yamaha grand.

I've scanned this pic from a flyer brochure or the CLP-175. The total length of this action is quite impressed! (in comparing with Kawai's RM3 wooden action)

YAMAHA's GH3/Natural Wood:

- 88 Stereo Sampling: found ONLY on the CLP-990. When playing with the Yamaha HPE-170 headphone, I can tell that the CLP-990 is the best DP I ever played. However, its amplification system is not very good, so i've tried to add some speaker systems above and behide the Clavinova, and it sounds much more like a real grand now.

IMO, I can say that the CLP-990 is a real flagship CLP Clavinova ever made. As a huge fan of Yamaha, I tried and played all the Clavinova CLP and CVP models (I really mean ALL) through the years, but only the CLP-990 gives me the touch nearest which of a grand piano. AvantGrand and GranTouch are somethingelses, but ofcourse, they're not Clavinova.

Thanks to all the conversations I've read about the CLP-990 on this forum, I found now a very fine instrument that I will keep it for a longtime, maybe forever thumb

Edited by trandinhnamanh (03/13/13 06:50 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
The Right Mic Makes all the Difference. Piano Mics at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2036336 - 02/20/13 10:29 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
peterws Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern England.
That looks seriously impresssive. But I would have thought the pivot would be rather further back. No matter. It has a sloping front, so it must be good!

""

#2036340 - 02/20/13 10:33 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
I think it is quite sad to see that this older model Clavinova had 88 key sampling. It would mean that current digital pianos have regressed in the last couple of years, as most do not have 88 key sampling. All the sampling and the research and development has been done on the matter years ago but Yamaha would not let the results trickle down to their current low to mid line digital pianos. It would cost them nothing to do so, so what other reasons would they have to hold back?

Edited by adak (02/20/13 10:33 AM)

#2036345 - 02/20/13 10:48 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: adak]
trandinhnamanh Offline

I've read these conversations long time ago, but I still think it's very interested:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthrea...%20than%20.html

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/20/13 10:57 AM)

#2036349 - 02/20/13 10:57 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

If I didn't know better I would say that given the history of models since this DP up through the Avantgrand that marketing in big companies such as Yamaha seems to be more about keeping good products off of the market to milk markets for all they are worth with inferior product and then to overcharge for advances year by year.

#2036370 - 02/20/13 11:36 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
I knew that the CLP990 was the best Yamaha ever made, but I did not know its action was so different from the current GH3. Thanks for the pix.

#2036394 - 02/20/13 12:21 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Yeah, I played one of these actions before and liked it very well. Rather similar in design to Kawai's wood action. This is the first time I've seen one open, though.

On the topic of key length, as far as I know, the important element of key length is the distance from the front of the key to the fulcrum, not from the fulcrum to the back side of the key (or hammer). It seems like relative to Kawai's actions it is this latter portion that is longer in this action. Just eyeballing it, it appears to me that this action has a greater distance between key and fulcrum than Kawai RM3, but less than Kawai GF.

Thanks for posting these pictures! I think Dewster actually has a thread for this type of picture. Search for "nekkid DP" or some such.

edit:Actually, the picture of GF I was looking at was a black key. Maybe this is as long as GF or longer. Can you get a measurement?

Edited by gvfarns (02/20/13 12:23 PM)

#2036410 - 02/20/13 12:44 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: gvfarns]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: gvfarns
I think Dewster actually has a thread for this type of picture. Search for "nekkid DP" or some such.

Indeed I do! And I added this thread to it.

Beautiful keys trandinhnamanh! I'm trying to figure out how the hammers work? And any measurements you could supply re. front key length (playing end to pivot point) would be interesting.

#2036412 - 02/20/13 12:46 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: dewster]
trandinhnamanh Offline

I'll try to measure it this week-end smile

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/21/13 12:34 AM)

#2036419 - 02/20/13 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: theJourney]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: theJourney
If I didn't know better I would say that given the history of models since this DP up through the Avantgrand that marketing in big companies such as Yamaha seems to be more about keeping good products off of the market to milk markets for all they are worth with inferior product and then to overcharge for advances year by year.

Yep. Kawai had a real beaut that was reportedly unlooped, but for some reason decided to scrap it. Something about how no one would buy it or something.

I guess if they spend their time purposely burying specs, refusing to answer technology related questions, and generally muddying the waters with market speak gobbledegook, the buying public is not being educated, so they don't know what to buy and go for the cheapest shiny thing they stumble across with the biggest name.

#2036489 - 02/20/13 03:20 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Excellent pictures. Whilst it is not a grand action anything like the AvantGrand's or GranTouch it is certainly (visually at least) far beyond any other Clavinova before or since. I think it had 88 note sampling too - again, unlike all other Clavinovas.

#2036539 - 02/20/13 05:02 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action with pics [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@trandinhnamanh,

Question:

Very nice find indeed, as where or whom did you purchase the CLP990 from, in Europe?

Looks like the wooden keys may be nearly as long as the "GF" action in the Kawai CA95, as this is something not to be found in many digitals.

#2036578 - 02/20/13 06:19 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action with pics [Re: trandinhnamanh]
ando Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Key length aside, it's an odd looking hammer mechanism. Seems almost too simple. By all reports it's an effective action though. I would like to see this action in motion.

Tran, Is there any chance you could make a video of this action and post it on Youtube?

#2036584 - 02/20/13 06:29 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action with pics [Re: trandinhnamanh]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
trandinhnamanh, thank you for posting these great pictures.

There are indeed many similarities with Kawai's wooden key actions. After achieving what by many accounts was a highly realistic keyboard touch, I wonder why Yamaha decided to revert back to the plastic key actions? Perhaps it was just too expensive (or not profitable enough) to produce?

Kind regards,
James
x

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2036660 - 02/20/13 11:14 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: theJourney]
KLSinCT Offline

Loc: Stonington, CT USA
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

+100!

K.
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129

#2036676 - 02/21/13 12:01 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action with pics [Re: pv88]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: pv88
@trandinhnamanh,

Question:

Very nice find indeed, as where or whom did you purchase the CLP990 from, in Europe?

Looks like the wooden keys may be nearly as long as the "GF" action in the Kawai CA95, as this is something not to be found in many digitals.

Not very likely that a CLP990 (in good condition) would pop up for sale somewhere in the US except for eBay or craigslist, etc.

I've found it on leboncoin.fr , a well-known website for selling manythings between particulars in France. It's in new condition, because the family who owned it haven't got anyone who play piano. It was just a decor furniture. They asked for 1000€, I bargained down to 800€, and finally, after a few little performances of mine to the lady of the family, I got it for 600€ wink

Thanks everyone. I'll re-open up the piano this week-end to mesure the key length, and I'll make a Youtube video of the action movement. The feel of escapement quite impress me thumb

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/21/13 12:06 AM)

#2036677 - 02/21/13 12:03 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: EssBrace]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: EssBrace
Excellent pictures. Whilst it is not a grand action anything like the AvantGrand's or GranTouch it is certainly (visually at least) far beyond any other Clavinova before or since. I think it had 88 note sampling too - again, unlike all other Clavinovas.

It does have 88 Stereo Sampling in 5 levels

#2036682 - 02/21/13 12:17 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
Kawai James Online   content
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
600 Euros is a fantastic price - congrats!

"Richard, none of us could forget you have a CLP-990." - EssBrace, 2014

#2036683 - 02/21/13 12:20 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: gvfarns]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: gvfarns
Yeah, I played one of these actions before and liked it very well. Rather similar in design to Kawai's wood action. This is the first time I've seen one open, though.

On the topic of key length, as far as I know, the important element of key length is the distance from the front of the key to the fulcrum, not from the fulcrum to the back side of the key (or hammer). It seems like relative to Kawai's actions it is this latter portion that is longer in this action. Just eyeballing it, it appears to me that this action has a greater distance between key and fulcrum than Kawai RM3, but less than Kawai GF.

edit:Actually, the picture of GF I was looking at was a black key. Maybe this is as long as GF or longer. Can you get a measurement?

IMO, the key length of Kawai GF is better, but I don't like Kawai's wooden actions and Yamaha's GH3, NW because of their after-touch. Just too soft and unstable.

#2036687 - 02/21/13 12:27 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: theJourney]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Wow. Thanks for sharing!

+100000000!

#2036777 - 02/21/13 05:49 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: theJourney]
Kos Offline

big companies such as Yamaha seems to be more about keeping good products off of the market to milk markets for all they are worth with inferior product and then to overcharge for advances year by year.

It's called capitalism, dude smile

#2036811 - 02/21/13 08:04 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
That's a bargain .... That's the best DP yamaha have ever made.

#2037082 - 02/21/13 05:04 PM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: The Netherlands
[/quote] ..., but I don't like Kawai's wooden actions and Yamaha's GH3, NW because of their after-touch. Just too soft and unstable. [/quote]

Finally Aftertouch on my DP action !

(I know - cheap , but couldn't help it...)

Nice pics by the way. When was this beauty first introduced ? I wonder how old it is and how 'far' we've come since then.

#2037302 - 02/22/13 02:04 AM Re: Yamaha flagship CLP-990 Natural Keyboard action with pics [Re: trandinhnamanh]
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Banned
Originally Posted By: trandinhnamanh
Originally Posted By: pv88
@trandinhnamanh,

Question:

Not very likely that a CLP990 (in good condition) would pop up for sale somewhere in the US except for eBay or craigslist, etc.

I've found it on leboncoin.fr , a well-known website for selling manythings between particulars in France. It's in new condition, because the family who owned it haven't got anyone who play piano. It was just a decor furniture. They asked for 1000€, I bargained down to 800€, and finally, after a few little performances of mine to the lady of the family, I got it for 600€ wink

Thanks everyone. I'll re-open up the piano this week-end to mesure the key length, and I'll make a Youtube video of the action movement. The feel of escapement quite impress me thumb

Good job.

#2038310 - 02/24/13 07:34 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Hi everyone,

As promised, I've re-opened up my CLP-990 and mesured the keys of the Natural Keyboard action:

Black key:

White key:

I can say that the key length (key front to pivot center) is less than Kawai GF but a little more than Kawai RM3.

Kawai RM3:

Kawai GF:

I've tried the Kawai CA 95 yesterday. I like the touch GF very much, but not the sound, neither the cabinet's look.

I've captured a short clip of the key movement too:

Natural Keyboard action movement

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/25/13 07:37 PM)

#2038361 - 02/24/13 10:14 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
Temperament Offline

Loc: Hun,EU
Compared to the MP10 nekids it seems to me of about the same length as RM3, not longer.

Above all was this not a real all wooden keyboard, not only with a flimsy wooden layer glued on the side of plastic keys as a fake on later "Natural" Wood keyboards of Yamaha?

#2038705 - 02/24/13 10:05 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@trandinhnamanh,

Thanks for the great photos of the keys and action along with the video clip that demonstrates the escapement simulation, below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D62G49_Rws

#2039694 - 02/26/13 03:27 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
gvfarns Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Thanks for the details! Interesting piano.

Unless I'm mistake those are sensors under the keys as well as under the hammers, similar to what's done in the AvantGrands. Cool stuff.

#2046921 - 03/12/13 11:05 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: trandinhnamanh]
debrucey Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Manchester, UK
Does the Yamaha action have escapement?

#2046929 - 03/12/13 11:20 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Natural Keyboard Action [Re: debrucey]
Orz Offline

The Hybrids do

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!

Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Neo-soul keys on Steinberg's half-price sale
by dire tonic
47 minutes 2 seconds ago
Bob Marley - Is this love piano cover
by Danijelcro
Today at 07:28 AM
android - QWERTY bluetooth keyboard as a midi piano
by mathy10544
Today at 06:30 AM
Black Friday is here - Seen any deals?
by MeghanM
Today at 01:16 AM
MIDI in on a Kawai VPC-1...
by pocoapoco
Today at 12:35 AM
Forum Stats
77074 Members
42 Forums
159414 Topics
2341760 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission