Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2036434 - 02/20/13 01:32 PM Beginner book series - any recommendations?
Estonia17151 Offline

Hi everyone,

As an absolute adult beginner (i.e. I know where middle C is and that's about it!), is there a series of instructional books that anyone would be willing to recommend? I would like a series that teaches the basics of music theory (i.e. enough theory to be able to read sheet music) with the main focus being on playing. There are a dizzying array of options out there and I just want to start off with the best tools possible (I notice that some members in this forum are using a series from Alfred publishing). Any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

(ads P/S)

Petrof Pianos

#2036449 - 02/20/13 01:57 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pennsylvania

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2036499 - 02/20/13 03:46 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
wow...you bought a new grand and only know where middle C is...that is brave...

I recommend a teacher.

#2036535 - 02/20/13 04:54 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Mark...]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Mark...
wow...you bought a new grand and only know where middle C is...that is brave...

I recommend a teacher.

Originally Posted By: Estonia17151
I just want to start off with the best tools possible

In that case, I highly concur.

If you have that kind of money, do not try to learn on the cheap. Get a good instructor and really learn to play well.

Don't even think about doing it on your own. With that instrument, you have a chance to experience something really beautiful in your life. Go all in !

Edited by dmd (02/20/13 04:58 PM)

My current system: Kawai ES7 + Focal CMS40 Powered Monitors, SennHeiser HD555 Phones, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface, Mackie ProFX8 Mixer, Ravenscroft275, True Keys American Grand, Ivory II American Concert D, Steinway Basic, Galaxy Vintage D, True Pianos, Pianoteq, Alicia's Keys

#2036555 - 02/20/13 05:31 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: dmd]
Estonia17151 Offline

Hi Don,

Thanks very much for the link - I will give it a good look!

#2036557 - 02/20/13 05:33 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Mark...]
Estonia17151 Offline

Hi Mark,

Yes - I thought to take the plunge and learn something new with an instrument that I could grow with. I think I will follow your advice and look for a good teacher as well.

Thank you for your input!

#2036559 - 02/20/13 05:35 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: dmd]
Estonia17151 Offline

Hi Don,

I will take your feedback as well as Mark's and find a teacher!

Thanks again for your advice!

#2036596 - 02/20/13 07:09 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Glad to hear it.

Please come back periodically and play us a "tune".

#2036613 - 02/20/13 08:28 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: dmd]
hamlet cat Offline

Loc: Mojave Desert
Originally Posted By: dmd

Killer link Don. I was not aware of that method. I flipped though the preview pages and it looks GOOD! Wish I had known about that earlier.

#2036627 - 02/20/13 09:11 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: hamlet cat]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ron88

Killer link Don. I was not aware of that method. I flipped though the preview pages and it looks GOOD! Wish I had known about that earlier.

If you take advantage of the optional videos and the forum I think it could provide very high quality instruction.

#2036640 - 02/20/13 10:02 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: dmd]
Estonia17151 Offline

Glad to hear it.

Please come back periodically and play us a "tune".

Hi Don,

Will do - thanks again!

#2036681 - 02/21/13 12:15 AM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
warlock214 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Welcome aboard Estonia17151. This is a great forum! I have an instructor and we're using the Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1. She really likes this book because each lesson introduces me to a new a letter note, practice techniques, theory, and music to play. I'm enjoying this learning experience! I hope you will too!

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

#2036828 - 02/21/13 09:05 AM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
dmd Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Estonia:

BTW ... The link I gave you might still be a nice book (plus videos) to use when taking lessons. Your instructor might very well agree to utilize it as the main book for your lessons. It is very good.

Usually, each instructor has their favorite method books but it is something to consider.

http://fundamentalkeys.com/index.html

Edited by dmd (02/21/13 09:06 AM)

#2036944 - 02/21/13 12:39 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: warlock214]
Estonia17151 Offline

Originally Posted By: warlock214
Welcome aboard Estonia17151. This is a great forum! I have an instructor and we're using the Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1. She really likes this book because each lesson introduces me to a new a letter note, practice techniques, theory, and music to play. I'm enjoying this learning experience! I hope you will too!

Hi Warlock,

Thank you for the welcome! I agree completely - the PW forums were extremely helpful for research purposes in the time leading up to the purchase of our piano and are continuing to be so thanks to members such as yourself, Don, Mark, and fizikisto - thank you all! I will definitely have a look at the Faber series. Best of luck with your learning experience as well!

#2036946 - 02/21/13 12:45 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: dmd]
Estonia17151 Offline

Estonia:

BTW ... The link I gave you might still be a nice book (plus videos) to use when taking lessons. Your instructor might very well agree to utilize it as the main book for your lessons. It is very good.

Usually, each instructor has their favorite method books but it is something to consider.

http://fundamentalkeys.com/index.html

Hi Don,

I perused the method you provided last night and it looks great! Once I find a teacher, I will definitely refer them to the link. In the meantime, I think that I might just go ahead and give it a try anyway!

Thanks again.

#2036965 - 02/21/13 01:17 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: Estonia17151]
KurtZ Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: The Heart of Screenland
Rachel Jimenez, Fundamental Keys author, used to be a frequent contributor on the teacher's board. I agree that Fundamental Keys looks well thought out. Have you considered Skype lessons with Ms. Jimenez?

The two book series Adult Piano Adventures series looks good for self teaching and seem more oriented towards what I call functional piano vs. preparing ever harder classical pieces for grades or certificates. If your main goal is accompanying yourself or others on songs while laying a foundation for more serious classical playing or delving into jazz/blues, you might want to take a look.

Good luck and welcome to piano and PW.

Kurt

#2037656 - 02/22/13 06:07 PM Re: Beginner book series - any recommendations? [Re: KurtZ]
Estonia17151 Offline

Originally Posted By: KurtZ
Rachel Jimenez, Fundamental Keys author, used to be a frequent contributor on the teacher's board. I agree that Fundamental Keys looks well thought out. Have you considered Skype lessons with Ms. Jimenez?

The two book series Adult Piano Adventures series looks good for self teaching and seem more oriented towards what I call functional piano vs. preparing ever harder classical pieces for grades or certificates. If your main goal is accompanying yourself or others on songs while laying a foundation for more serious classical playing or delving into jazz/blues, you might want to take a look.

Good luck and welcome to piano and PW.

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes, I have looked at the Adult Piano Adventures and am also considering this series as an option.

I did not consider lessons by Skype (mainly because I did not know it was possible!) - what a great idea! I will also look into this as a possibility. As I mentioned in my initial post, there are many different options available - I sincerely thank you for taking the time to offer your opinion!

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
LAST CALL - Piano Newsletter Ideas!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
127 registered (36251, accordeur, AndresD, ando, 40 invisible), 1560 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75498 Members
42 Forums
156123 Topics
2292626 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Halloween Fantasy
by Axtremus
20 minutes 8 seconds ago
Visited Yamaha's Flagship Store Today
by biasa199
23 minutes 5 seconds ago
Tag!
by Axtremus
23 minutes 37 seconds ago
Things are not working out for me
by Teodor
31 minutes 15 seconds ago
UVI has a sale on 5 grand piano sounds
by Morodiene
45 minutes 10 seconds ago
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission