2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
11. Andy Platt - Invention No 4 in D Minor Said it all in my comments really. I like the performance a lot when I listen back to it which is the main thing!

12. Amaruk - The Christmas song from 'An Elf's Story: The Elf on the Shelf' No Elf on the shelf in my household! This is a beautiful performance, very wistful. The accompaniment is very smooth and the melody shaped very nicely. I don't know the original but it sounds like a very nice arrangement to me.

13. Peyton - After All A very nice composition - sounded quite Einaudi-ish to me. That "little tap" sounded natural and, at first, I thought it was deliberate. I really like how you build the piece through the middle section and those runs are great.

14. joangolfing - Grieg Waltz Op.12 These Grieg pieces suit you. I might prefer a slightly smoother feel which would allow the melody to be a little more phrased but you certainly capture that slightly quirky sense of rhythm that Grieg employs. There is nice dynamic contrast in the piece.

15. Greener / Jeff Green - Moments Musicaux - A flat major; Opus 94 No. 6 Schubert has this way of demanding big chords with gentle melodies and, for the most part, you bring that out. This is a big piece but you gave a convincing idea for the whole. I enjoyed the dynamic range and some of the more subtle phrasing. Yes, I didn't enjoy the squeak but having suffered through that myself you have my sympathies.

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D Ah, you are too honest. If you had said, it was just your arrangement because you wanted it to be, I would have cried, "superb!" OK, still do - it was wonderful; the mood sounded just perfect to me. I loved the incredible warmth of the piece allowing the runs to float upwards. Great job!

17. Monica K. - Just Because I Love You No, we love you! This was a great piece - I loved the way you managed to control such a long ending with gradual fading of both tempo and volume. The whole piece was beautifully played, very graceful and full of expression.

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor Nice improvisation - I loved those big crashing chords leading into a more delicate melody then building again. This had a very natural feel with great expressivity.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise This is a hard piece to tackle after only a year. The main theme was beautifully conceived with lovely phrasing and subtle ritardando. The second section was pretty well controlled - obviously there are a few slips but mostly it was well done. The third section with the big chords good have a little more agitation - there was one chord that was definitely wrong but I wasn't sure if it was just a slip or was something you've misread? Anyway, wonderful interpretation - thanks!

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon This has a wonderful laid back feel. You shape the melody very nicely and there are some small rhythmic changes which work out very well. Overall you played it extremely lyrically which is perfect for a song.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F
F
Originally Posted by GrouchoMarx
Thanks, if you like his preludes you'll probably also like his etudes. Here are some of my favorites Op. 33 No. 4, Op. 39 No. 4, Op. 33 No. 2

Thanks for those! Feel free to shoot more suggestions, in a PM since it's a bit OT smirk And if you have time.

Zaahir

Self-taught renegade - Kawai CL-36

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow: I am always impressed by the folks who can compose as well as play. I was listening to your piece while reading your description, and I noticed you had years of experience on the whistle and Irish flute. I think this piece would sound great as a piano/whistle duet, with the whistle taking the cheerier melody line and the piano adding the more brooding bass line.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major: This is the only Bach piece I have ever played (as part of Ave Maria), so I know firsthand how damned aggravating ultimately rewarding it is to play it. You make those endless arpeggios sound so smooth and easy.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia: One of the things I like best about the recitals is being introduced to new music and artists. I wasn’t familiar with Hawes, but I really loved this piece; it’s an interesting blend of new age/light jazz/old standard themes. Beautifully played, with a delicate touch.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4: I really enjoyed hearing your two different approaches to the Allemande. It will come as no surprise to anybody here that I preferred the slow, dreamy, pedal-laden Bach, though I’m guessing that it would make most traditionalists blanch.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .: I was expecting something else from the title, but I like your piece even better than “My Way.” Your recording sounds amazingly professional; I would’ve willingly paid for it.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Here's another batch:

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living Very interesting - I have never heard this before. There were some unexpected harmonies that were very pleasing. Thanks for sharing.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us Interesting melody - very well done.

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam I have never heard this piece or the composer. Played very well.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio Wow, you've been playing less than a year? This is outstanding after such a short time.

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya Very smooth on the first one, then lots of groovy licks in the second one...

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow You've only been playing 11 months? Excellent work.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major Very smooth. One suggestion - the bass notes stick out more than they should sometimes - it got better as you went on though.

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia Never heard of the piece or the composer, but you played it very well. I liked the middle section best, and then you handled the transitions very well, especially the way you tapered off the volume.

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 Very interesting juxtaposition of the two styles. Of course, most experts would insist on a minimum of pedal, just for adding color. They really sound like different pieces. But I prefer the livelier version. Excellent playing.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . Very interesting - and entertaining. Loved it!

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 That's a great story - who knew that one day you could play the "demo" piece. Loved it!

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You You have a great voice! What do you mean you just "learned how" to sing and play at the same time? I've been trying to do that for years but failing miserably. Great job.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement Very nicely done. Wish I could play so easily and fluently...

More to come...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
I`ll start from the end!

55 Beethoven sings for me, and so do you, girl!

54 Tall Guy - One o` my faves. Good easy listening style which you can and will develop. More please!

53 MileheSteve - Yam EP sound like from "The Bodyguard". Great tune clearly played.

52 Allard - Lovely pensive music, well chorded and played!

51 The Moon`s shining through the windows. Well executed!

50 Bill - Georgia; many folk`s fave. You make it flow like a black man (oh bloody `ell, what `ave I said? The Thought Police`ll be after me . ..)

49 Who`s raising a high bar then? Love the piano! I shall look at some Rolands. Soon . . .

48 Somebody feels Debussy (You know wat I mean . . .) and so dows your piano!

47 A nicely done Pedestrian Piece . . .

46 Ken - "Cocktail Bar turn left, sir! Meet Ken. He`s good isn`t he?"

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
45 Copper - Henry VIII`s original I believe. You get to keep your head! He`s happy, the fat ole b*****!

"[Linked Image]"
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

Monika, thanks, glad that you like it!

Originally Posted by Saranoya

wouter79 --Hi! As I said above, I'm one of the most n00bish players taking part in this recital, and the piece you are playing here is far beyond my reach for the time being, so take everything I write with a serious grain of salt. That said, I think you need to work on getting your left hand to 'flow' more. It sounds choppy to me right now. Think in phrases, rather than a string of individual chords, if that helps at all. I believe that once you get the flow into the left hand, expression and fluidity on the melody side of the piece will be much easier to accomplish. You may be on to something, too, when you say that the left hand is a little too overpowering. But still. The fact that you managed to record this (Red Dot Psychosis and all) after only three years of playing gets you my respect all by itself.

Saranoya, thanks for the detailed comments! Left hand flow? Could be something, I have a hard time though to think of how to make this flow more in the left hand. Something to think about if I pick up this piece again.

Originally Posted by SwissMS

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Very nicely played, especially considering it is without pedal. The right hand sings and the left hand paces the piece. It does have a nervous quality to it, with the syncopated left hand. Perhaps that is what the composer intended. Maybe a more subdued left hand and a slower pace would reduce the tension. Still, nice job!

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions! Well, I did hear something in the piece and I think it was not coming out clear enough.

Originally Posted by casinitaly
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Thanks for the history behind your piece – it was interesting to read. I like being educated on the music I am about to listen to. I’m not sure if it is important to memorize music or not. I think that sometimes the memorization happens naturally, sometimes we have to work at it. I don’t feel I know enough to make suggestion on how you can improve, but I certainly did enjoy your performance and I greatly admire the ability you’ve developed over the past three years. I am really blown away every time I listen to your performances. I know you aren’t completely satisfied with the piece, but I think you have played it very well indeed.

Glad that you like the history part too. I think it's good to know a bit about the backgrounds of the piece and it's nice to hear that it's appreciated.

Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Nicely done Wouter. Don't be so hard on yourself because you are playing at quite an advanced level, especially given your experience. I hear some of the things you have mentioned so I can't suggest much other than to try another piece with a melody and rhythm that appeals to you more.

Thanks! Ah, you know my perfectionism for the pieces that I love. I'm not like just switching to another piece if it does not work.
It feels bad to work months on a piece and not being able to get that thing out that made it so special in my ears.
And to start hearing things that I did not hear before, that make it seem not so good after all.

Originally Posted by GrouchoMarx08
. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 I could probably learn a great deal from you about pedaling, something I over use. "Unpedalled" music often sounds dry and harsh to my ears, but not in your case, so you must be doing something right in that department. Needless to say everything is really clear and clean because of your choice to not use the pedal.
You are probably right, the left hand could be a tiny bit softer, but otherwise you balanced the two hands well. In addition I like your dynamics. All in all really well played my good sir.

Thanks for the compliments on balance and dynamics!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
44 - Sam S Beautiful; - `Nuff said!

43 - Lyric - If the AP`s in our shop sounded like that! Excellento.

42 - Windy - Lots o` nice runs and trills here. Good work, man!

41 - Saranoya. Love Haydyn. Love this.

40 - Jazzwee - Havin` fun! It shows; excellent AP. (I sometimes get the last bit wrong . . .might be a DP. No matter!

39 - Confidently ans well played. One o` my faves!

38 - Nice nice piano. Bit o` relaxing music before the fun starts? heh heh . .

37 - An old standard? Well performed, man!

36 - Debussy ain`t easy. man. Well done you!

35 - Very fluent and accomplished. I`ll hae ta gi that one a miss . . . too darned hard . .

34 - Beechcroft - Ludovico`s done well here tonight!

33 - Gandalff - you had fun, we had fun! Good stuff!

32 - Ben piano - You always please. This occasion too, man!

31 - Marybee - My wife`s fave, played on an old Broadwood years ago. It`s tricky, you did it flowingly! (Is that word in the Dictionary?)

30 - Time for a strong drink, Peter. Everything sounds better after a strong drink . .

Bye for now guys. Thank you one and all . . .

"[Linked Image]"
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
AndyP- I thought it worked very well. Yea, those trills really need some work and you lose the "fluidity" at times but overall it was very enjoyable. I like the pace..it got me tapping my foot. And I do think you have the feel!

ladypayne- Very dramatic. I love the way you start it with those descending notes. A real sweet melody, it almost has an Irish feel to it.

Jazztpt- Russ, just wonderful compositions and fine playing. I could listen to that first one over and over.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Next group:

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2 Wow MaryBee, how cool is it to be able to play this piece as opposed to just dreaming of playing it? That's a fantastic accomplishment. I don't know a lot of classical pieces but I instantly recognized this one when I heard it because of its beauty. Very nicely done.

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You This was great Ben. Your description made this tune even better. I applaud you for having the courage to sing along and must say you should ABSOLUTLY continue to play and sing together because this tune was very well received. It sounded like the nice theme music that you hear on tv shows and the quality was equally as good. I'm VERY impressed with this performance for all kinds of reasons.

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement I'm always open to listening to new, previously unheard music because the payoff can be great. Thanks for doing such a wonderful job with this performance and exposing me to something totally new. It was sure worth it.

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre Performing Einaudi takes a lot of sensitive input from the performer to pull off for maximum dramatic effect. You are doing an excellent job with this as I personally know it is not easy to do. Beautifully played.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 This is a beautiful piece Richard that sounded like you absolutely nailed it. Your playing skills are very impressive. Excellent sound on your DP too. Nicely done.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf This was a very unique piece with some unusual note combos. I love that as it is totally unexpected and keeps the piece engaging. I liked it a lot.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One I'll agree with this piece not being the standard but that that's what makes it so unique. Nice job with this.

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 You requested 'NO' feedback but it didn't say anything about not being able to reply with compliments, sooooo... this was absolutely beutiful. I've now seen and heard you play both in person and recorded. Same results either way. Fantastic. p.s, your a fun girl Farmgirl. I'm glad we met.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. This was such a great performance you should be very proud of what caliber music you are producing 'completely' on your own. [I loved the 'completely' part of the description. That was classic]. Please keep playing like this for both your sake AND ours.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight I was on page four listening and commenting on the last performance on that page and then this tune started playing next. Without looking I said to myself "I bet that's Jazzwee and it was! Great stuff as always from you. I'm always in a bouncy/groovy mood after hearing your music.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Super-Hunky
40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight I was on page four listening and commenting on the last performance on that page and then this tune started playing next. Without looking I said to myself "I bet that's Jazzwee and it was! Great stuff as always from you. I'm always in a bouncy/groovy mood after hearing your music.

Isn't it neat how we get to know the style of certain regulars and recognize them right off the bat?

I've had the same sort of experience and it always makes me smile.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Some more thank you's to reviewers:

Inlanding- Thanks! I worked hard to get the voices to get along together.

Andy Platt - We torture ourselves with Bach because we think it is good for us. I imagine him looking down at all of use intermediate players, and chuckling and shaking his head. Thanks for the compliment on my counterpoint!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18
Sam, I am astounded that you have mastered such a long and difficult piece! It is quite beautiful and easy to listen to. I bet you are ready for a break now! Well done.

Unfortunately, I can't shelve that piece yet. I have to play it in an actual live recital March 15th. Wish me luck!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My last batch of comments. Everybody did such a great job, especially all you people with only one years experience...

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre I think you captured the mystic, ethereal quality of this. Your control of the dynamics was good too. Well done.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 I love this piece and have wanted to play it ever since I heard it, like you said, in that old recital. But the trills scared me off. You did a great job with it. I loved your control of the dynamics, and your transition back o the first theme after the middle section.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf I think you have the style figured out. Such lush chords! Excellent playing.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One Smooth...

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 I am working on this too, of and on. You did a great job, considering how sick you were. I loved how you were able to bring out the inner voices at m 65. Also, how you, on the repeat of the section at m 49, emphasized the tenor voice. Those are all things that I struggle with in this piece. I also cannot keep the chords straight starting at m 57 - you did an excellent job there. My only suggestion is to taper off the dynamics more at phrase endings. The end of the piece was one example where I thought you could do that. But that is a minor thing - excellent work!

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. You definitely made this your own. Very impressive. Nice transition between the songs.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight Jazz clu! Sounds great...

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F You get the prize for recording under the most difficult conditions ever! Outstanding!

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 Excellent job, and you have only been back at the piano for a year? I'm jealous...

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' Wow, you have improved. Isn't it great to be able to go back to older recordings and see how you have progressed? You can be proud...

45. Copper - Greensleeves Sometimes the simplest melodies are the best. Loved it!

46. Kenjazz - My Romance Excellent arrangement. Loved the bass and percussion too.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today I think you are definitely improving. The dynamic changes were great, especially the ends of the phrases.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) Sorry to hear about the discouraging lessons, but your playing is great. I like that idea of this sarabande. You definitely conveyed the mood.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 This sounds extremely difficult, but you played it with such ease. Very well done.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind It's not an ABF recital without your singing and playing. Excellent!

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth. This is great for only a year at the piano - I'm impressed.

52. Allard - To Zanarkand Only a year at the piano! Wow, we have a talented bunch of newcomers in this recital. Excellent work!

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew Nice improvising and arranging. The piano sound was different and went well with this piece.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are Only 11 months experience? Are you kidding me? This is great!

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G I played this once, but the left hand just killed me. I think you are doing a much better job than I ever did. Thanks for playing for us!

That's all folks!

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
My next set:

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living I think you've captured the exact feel that this piece needs. It's very dark and brooding. The phrasing is nicely done which sounds hard given the intensity of the melody.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us This is a lovely composition; sounds a little French - like a movie set in Paris perhaps. Anyway, very simple but a lot of variety and you keep a clear direction through the piece.

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam This piece was a little repetitive for my tastes. But I feel you did a good job at bringing out the melody and rhythmic elements well.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio This is a great performance for 9 months playing. Don't sweat the playing it without errors so much. I really liked your phrasing; you had good interplay with the hands and kept a great tempo. Very nice!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya The mood in Another Song is just wonderful; a rich tone combined with delightfully conceived harmonization. As usual I love the runs and subtle touches. Maya too had a very rich sound, more dreamlike and beautifully played. I really feel these pieces could go on forever and I wouldn't care!

26. Sand Tiger - Shadow Nice composition! At first I wasn't sure - seemed a bit jumpy but the more it went on, the more I got into it. And you shaped the piece and individual phrases well.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major Beautiful performance, very simple but each phrase was done well and there was nice "space" between the bass and the rising arpeggios. Perhaps a teeny bit more variety in the dynamic range (don't get me wrong, there was variety but I was searching for that absolute pianissimo in some parts.)

28. Daren - Quanta Qualia Yes, this is a beautiful piece; very wistful. You played it with great tenderness and brought out the melody very nicely. The repeated notes were very nicely played in the middle section and the loud high notes were just right - not too much. Overall, just delightful!

29. timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4 Oh man, this is hard but you make it sound so easy! My teacher urges the little / no pedal school of thought for Bach but you made it so convincing with .... You play it with great tenderness, the long phrases are very nicely controlled. Where there is counterpoint you bring out the interplay very well.

30. Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . . This is a beautiful piece. Usually I'm not convinced by the non-piano instruments in this recital but it worked well here. Your piano accompaniment was delicately played and allowed the melody to soar. Not a fan of the synth strings though ...

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
21. Teodor - Teodor, this is new for me and I found it very introspective. It has a kind of "special movement" along the entire piece wich turns it in a very interesting piece. Nice job.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - I don't know where you're going to get so much inspiration to share so many original pieces with us. And this piece seems to have been very well worked. Nice job!

23. MusicaMusique - I can imagine the work you had to hear the song on TV and passing it to piano. The music is spectacular and your arrangement is very good. Congratulations!

24. MrPozor - Only 9 months??? Wow, that's very good. I bet you must have a lot of dedication to the piano. Good job!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Russ, I'm jealous... I wish I could say I have 37+ years experience, and be able to play (and compose!) like you. You rule these 88 keys with mastery on both pieces. Not much to say. Congratulations!

26. Sand Tiger - I have no doubt that your previous experience with music influenced you in this composition. Nice work.

27. PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major This is the only Bach piece that catches my attention. You say you have not played piano lately, but I did not notice that. Congratulations.

28. Daren - This is a really sweet composition of Patrick Hawes and you did a "clear" and consistent rendition of it. Very nice!

29. timmyab - I like more the second version because the melody flows "better" along the entire piece. But, who am I to decide which is better? It's just a matter of taste. I liked your work, good job!

30. Peterws - This is a really nice mix of sounds and melodies. I liked the way you were joining different instruments along the work. A professional and intelligent choice!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
A
A
36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf
What a strange piece! I'm not sure what to write.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One
I've never heard of this musical monk. Pretty obscure indeed!

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2
Wine does wonderful things to music, doesn't it? Ah, and I think I remember this song.

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley.
The Shadow of Your Smile is quite pretty. Good inclusion. (But isn't two songs cheating?) Then, Misty is also very nice. I like the ponderous bass and playful high tones.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight
Stella by Starlight... brings back memories. She was such a wonderful lady. Now the years and oceans separate us. Ah... frown

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F
Sara, it's amazing how you went out of your way to find that bar with a decent piano to get your recording in, and just play it, unfazed by the generally unappreciative crowd at such establishments. Lucky there was only one customer at that time. It may be too bad you couldn't submit the sonata, but this Menuet is a pretty little gem, and it conveniently leaves us something great to look forward to next recital. I hope your new piano will be great and inspire you to keep playing wonderful music. Applaus!

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo'
The recording is very soft, but nothing that can't be fixed by cranking up the speaker volume. It sounds pretty good. One month to relearn isn't too much, is it?

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18
Not just for you; I bet most of us (well, except Jazzwee of course) would have trouble playing note perfect for more than ten minutes straight. Fortunately, I don't know the piece and probably won't even notice the errors. *eBays gold star*

45. Copper - Greensleeves
This is a pretty easy song, but it's known and loved by everyone.

46. Kenjazz - My Romance
Eh... Valentine's... You play well, though, and your song fits right in that cozy restaurant.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today
Sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe just the main theme. Does the streaming player normalize away your changes in dynamics?

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano)
Discouraging lessons? Such a shame. I hope you'll continue as a self-motivated soloist smile

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12
Love the trills right at the start, and it keeps going on. Wait, three years? Wow.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind
When is your album coming out?

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth.
Working on harder pieces isn't a bad idea, as long as it doesn't it up all our time. While I believe you can acquire technique from the hard stuff just as well, one might spend more time on just the same bit, neglecting other important skills. But with proper balance, why not? I'd say you play this one very well. Got to love Chopin.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew
The alternate voice works fine in saying "this is actually a harp, not a piano". I like the second part of the medley best.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are
I think the bass becomes a bit blurry at times, though that may be intentional. Overall a very nice job.

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G
Listened to your song again, this time with better equipment. Much better! I totally neglected to say that I love this piece and want to learn it too, some day. It's so merry.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
G

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until July 22 2014
2000 Post Club Member
G
Sorry if not providing any technical feedback you may seek. I don't feel much qualified for it, so my comments are slanted towards approval and appreciation.

17 Monica K. - Just Because I Love You
Another I've never heard, to now. Very enjoyable, easy listening and pretty piece. I can appreciate how tough it would be to get not only a clean take with this, but also one you can be happy with expression and presentation. You've done it in spades. Good for you. Very nice, Monica.

18 ladypayne - Improv in G minor

Some very interesting contrasts in this creation. If I hadn't seen the “original” tag, I'd have been guessing which famous composer produced this. I've much respect for this and the other very fine original compositions I've been hearing. Good job.

19 Jake S - Fur Elise
A classic classical and fine presentation. “I think every pianist probably plays Fur Elise at some point”. I play a sippet of it, but have never tried to tackle the tricky parts. I'm convinced now it will be worth the effort. It is indeed a lovely piece when played well. Some really fine playing and presentation, Jake.

20 Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon
I love these old crooners. I'm picturing Blue eyes about to make his entry at any time. I attempted sketching out an arrangement of this last summer, but never got it to the point I was completely happy with it, and then got distracted. I'll definitely want to get back to it now. I love these tunes. Nicely done, Serge. Very full sound with the bass and drums. Is that all just from the Kawai? Hmm … think I'm missing out on something here ...

21 Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living
This sets the stage of a very dark mood, which is my understanding of the context of the movie. It won't be high on my list of pieces to work on next (just preference.) Seeing the reviews, there was sort of a like a cult following and many likes. Good on you thus, for playing it and presenting so well. Good job, Teodor.

22 (Was)TrueBeginner – Us
Another I was trying to guess who the great composer was before realizing “original”. This is very pretty and brilliantly done. It's lovely, well done.

23 MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam
Sounds like this would be some challenge to pick up and arrange completely by ear. I've done a bit myself by ear, but usually manage to find a way to cheat a bit if I can. Good for you and nice job with this.

24 MrPozor - Un poco adagio
You've done really well with this, MrPozor. Clean, crisp and very fine presentation. I didn't know much about Clementi at all until coming across in the sonata analysis thread. I really need to get something of his in my line up now. This one may be a good choice. Thanks for sharing it and really well done.

25 Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya
I really like Maya, Russ. The other is nice too, but Maya really appeals to me. Lovely changes and a very pretty melody. Really good stuff. Nice playing and great recording too.

Just realizing I am running out of much to say in terms of approval and appreciation. I really think everyone has done a fabulous job.

I'm going to start skipping along more briskly now. If I happen to miss you (there is a good chance I may if you are still coming up) it is of my own shortcomings of endurance and not any lack of interest. I have listened and very appreciative of ALL. I will need to rethink my review strategy for future recitals though, as my approach to date is a challenge for me and I don't think adding much value.

27 PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major
I really like this prelude. Be careful with the tempo, which I am sure you know about and which anyone who plays Bach is challenged with. Nicely done, Phil and great choice of material.

28 Daren - Quanta Qualia
Very pretty, fine playing and terrific recording, Daren. I really like this.

29 timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4

A really lovely Bach piece, Timmyab. You play it beautifully. “I couldn't decide how to play this … I hope this isn't against the rules” There are no rules as far as I know. If there are I'm in trouble too. I hear you, and often have the same issues with Bach. Very fine playing.

30 Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few
I thought we may be about to see Franky enter stage left. This was a better surprise ... Really nice, Peter. A very quality composition, arrangement and presentation. Very good.

31 MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2
Isn't this a fabulous piece, MaryBee. I'm just working on this one myself. I really like this Waltz. Congratulations for tackling it and doing such a fabulous job with it.

33 Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement
Fabulous. I'll be very pleased if I can play anything classical this well one day. Very polished and great performance.

34 beechcraft409 - Ombre
This is coming along very nicely beechcraft. You have nothing to worry about … I would have thought much longer on the bench with more experience, but it really isn't about that of course anyway. For the years I have been dabbling I am forever frustrated, but it is what it is, and it is fabulous to be making music. You are doing really great. Nice playing.

35 Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
I know you asked for technical feedback, but I won't be offering any practice tips here, Richard. I think you have that covered quite well already. Wondering if we might be looking at Greig anytime soon in the analysis thread? You've piqued my interest now. Some really lovely elements to this and some very fine playing of course too. The new board is sounding quite excellent I must say. I'm very much looking forward to hearing much much more to come. Thanks for sharing this one and with a terrific performance. I'm glad you're fully back to the bench now – and strongly committed it seems with the beautiful new Kawai – and helping us all out so much. I know you know, but will say again anyway ... it is appreciated very much.

That's all for now …

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
01 Mr Super Hunky - A Star Named Apple
Amazingly beautiful tribute to a wonderful lady. Bernie, you are very talented.

02 Inlanding Glen - Elegie, Massenet
Nice job, Glen. I play this one, and while the notes are relatively simple, the expressiveness required by the piece is not.

03 dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755, Czerny
Lush and romantic - you capture the essence of the piece with your expressive dynamics and light touch.

04 Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4, Chopin
As is usually the case, you have been too hard on yourself in the comments. Nicely done rendition of one of my favorite Chopin preludes.

I regret not being able to participate this time due to time constraints. I regret as well not being able to listen and comment sooner, but it's been a rugged time at work recently with a full remodel and today's grand re-opening celebration. I am too tired to go on. I do want to hear them all, but I must sleep now.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

31. MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2: The fast parts on this sound so incredibly difficult, yet you pull this off with ease. I loved the back story about the piece, too.

32. BenPiano - All of These Things For You: This is one of my favorites of the recital, but not because of the piano. (Though, I rush to add, I enjoyed the piano part of it a lot.) It’s the lyrics, though, that stand out to me: The first couple of mushy romantic verses, followed by the punch line of real-life love and marriage (“Children that always fight/ Pizza on Saturday night”). Sheer comic genius!

33. Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement: I wasn’t familiar with this piece, but it sure sounded like a nightmare to play– so many trills and runs and such a blistering tempo. You were steady and in control throughout it all, though. Very impressive!

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre: Welcome to the beauty that is Einaudi! “Ombre” is full of tragic beauty, and you do an excellent job of conveying it. The dynamics make this piece, and you nailed them.

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4: Ohmigosh. If Cooke calls this one an “easy starter,” I sure don’t want to hear what he considers to be a difficult piece. I think your comment that “extended trills can be troublesome” should be nominated for the greatest understatement of the year. laugh You pulled them off expertly to my ears. Bravo!

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf: I’m beginning to think Debussy should be reclassified as jazz, because this sounded more jazz than classical to me. Loved all those rolled chords.

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One: There were some interesting discordant chords in there. I guess with a name like “Thelonious” he’s entitled to come up with some weird names for his songs. wink

38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2: I would never think to mix whiskey and wine (shudder!), but I’d be tempted to give it a try if it made me play as well as you. And I have to say that I loved your video and seeing the baby piano cuddling under its mommy. grin

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley: Yes, I can hear the trio in your playing. Your arrangement was so rich and complex that I am amazed you did it all from a lead sheet. Lovely!

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight: Your recordings always make me think I’m sitting in the lobby of some swanky hotel, dressed in a glittery cocktail dress and sipping a martini, waiting for a mysterious handsome gentleman to sweep me away. You play with a confidence and ease I’d expect in a professional pianist.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission