2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new on this forum, and sorry for my english, I'm French.

I've just found a Yamaha CLP-990M (mahogany) after a longtime searching everywhere. It's in like new condition.

There's something I'd like to share about the CLP-990:

- Natural Keyboard: found ONLY on 3 Clavinova models: CLP-990, CLP-175 and CVP-900. It's far better than GH, GH3 or even Natural Wood (which is GH3 itself). After a key depth regulation, the CLP-990 rocks like my Yamaha grand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've scanned this pic from a flyer brochure or the CLP-175. The total length of this action is quite impressed! (in comparing with Kawai's RM3 wooden action)

[Linked Image]

YAMAHA's GH3/Natural Wood:

[Linked Image]

- 88 Stereo Sampling: found ONLY on the CLP-990. When playing with the Yamaha HPE-170 headphone, I can tell that the CLP-990 is the best DP I ever played. However, its amplification system is not very good, so i've tried to add some speaker systems above and behide the Clavinova, and it sounds much more like a real grand now.

[Linked Image]

IMO, I can say that the CLP-990 is a real flagship CLP Clavinova ever made. As a huge fan of Yamaha, I tried and played all the Clavinova CLP and CVP models (I really mean ALL) through the years, but only the CLP-990 gives me the touch nearest which of a grand piano. AvantGrand and GranTouch are somethingelses, but ofcourse, they're not Clavinova.

Thanks to all the conversations I've read about the CLP-990 on this forum, I found now a very fine instrument that I will keep it for a longtime, maybe forever thumb

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 03/13/13 06:50 PM.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
That looks seriously impresssive. But I would have thought the pivot would be rather further back. No matter. It has a sloping front, so it must be good!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
I think it is quite sad to see that this older model Clavinova had 88 key sampling. It would mean that current digital pianos have regressed in the last couple of years, as most do not have 88 key sampling. All the sampling and the research and development has been done on the matter years ago but Yamaha would not let the results trickle down to their current low to mid line digital pianos. It would cost them nothing to do so, so what other reasons would they have to hold back?

Last edited by adak; 02/20/13 11:33 AM.

Casio Privia PX-150

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I've read these conversations long time ago, but I still think it's very interested:

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...0Grand%20a%20lot%20better%20than%20.html

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 02/20/13 11:57 AM.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

If I didn't know better I would say that given the history of models since this DP up through the Avantgrand that marketing in big companies such as Yamaha seems to be more about keeping good products off of the market to milk markets for all they are worth with inferior product and then to overcharge for advances year by year.

I knew that the CLP990 was the best Yamaha ever made, but I did not know its action was so different from the current GH3. Thanks for the pix.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Yeah, I played one of these actions before and liked it very well. Rather similar in design to Kawai's wood action. This is the first time I've seen one open, though.

On the topic of key length, as far as I know, the important element of key length is the distance from the front of the key to the fulcrum, not from the fulcrum to the back side of the key (or hammer). It seems like relative to Kawai's actions it is this latter portion that is longer in this action. Just eyeballing it, it appears to me that this action has a greater distance between key and fulcrum than Kawai RM3, but less than Kawai GF.

Thanks for posting these pictures! I think Dewster actually has a thread for this type of picture. Search for "nekkid DP" or some such.

edit:Actually, the picture of GF I was looking at was a black key. Maybe this is as long as GF or longer. Can you get a measurement?

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/20/13 01:23 PM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
I think Dewster actually has a thread for this type of picture. Search for "nekkid DP" or some such.

Indeed I do! And I added this thread to it.

Beautiful keys trandinhnamanh! I'm trying to figure out how the hammers work? And any measurements you could supply re. front key length (playing end to pivot point) would be interesting.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I'll try to measure it this week-end smile

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 02/21/13 01:34 AM.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
If I didn't know better I would say that given the history of models since this DP up through the Avantgrand that marketing in big companies such as Yamaha seems to be more about keeping good products off of the market to milk markets for all they are worth with inferior product and then to overcharge for advances year by year.

Yep. Kawai had a real beaut that was reportedly unlooped, but for some reason decided to scrap it. Something about how no one would buy it or something.

I guess if they spend their time purposely burying specs, refusing to answer technology related questions, and generally muddying the waters with market speak gobbledegook, the buying public is not being educated, so they don't know what to buy and go for the cheapest shiny thing they stumble across with the biggest name.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Excellent pictures. Whilst it is not a grand action anything like the AvantGrand's or GranTouch it is certainly (visually at least) far beyond any other Clavinova before or since. I think it had 88 note sampling too - again, unlike all other Clavinovas.

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
@trandinhnamanh,

Question:

Very nice find indeed, as where or whom did you purchase the CLP990 from, in Europe?

Looks like the wooden keys may be nearly as long as the "GF" action in the Kawai CA95, as this is something not to be found in many digitals.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Key length aside, it's an odd looking hammer mechanism. Seems almost too simple. By all reports it's an effective action though. I would like to see this action in motion.

Tran, Is there any chance you could make a video of this action and post it on Youtube?

trandinhnamanh, thank you for posting these great pictures.

There are indeed many similarities with Kawai's wooden key actions. After achieving what by many accounts was a highly realistic keyboard touch, I wonder why Yamaha decided to revert back to the plastic key actions? Perhaps it was just too expensive (or not profitable enough) to produce?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
K
K
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

+100!

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pv88
@trandinhnamanh,

Question:

Very nice find indeed, as where or whom did you purchase the CLP990 from, in Europe?

Looks like the wooden keys may be nearly as long as the "GF" action in the Kawai CA95, as this is something not to be found in many digitals.

Not very likely that a CLP990 (in good condition) would pop up for sale somewhere in the US except for eBay or craigslist, etc.

I've found it on leboncoin.fr , a well-known website for selling manythings between particulars in France. It's in new condition, because the family who owned it haven't got anyone who play piano. It was just a decor furniture. They asked for 1000€, I bargained down to 800€, and finally, after a few little performances of mine to the lady of the family, I got it for 600€ wink

Thanks everyone. I'll re-open up the piano this week-end to mesure the key length, and I'll make a Youtube video of the action movement. The feel of escapement quite impress me thumb

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 02/21/13 01:06 AM.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EssBrace
Excellent pictures. Whilst it is not a grand action anything like the AvantGrand's or GranTouch it is certainly (visually at least) far beyond any other Clavinova before or since. I think it had 88 note sampling too - again, unlike all other Clavinovas.

It does have 88 Stereo Sampling in 5 levels

600 Euros is a fantastic price - congrats!

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Yeah, I played one of these actions before and liked it very well. Rather similar in design to Kawai's wood action. This is the first time I've seen one open, though.

On the topic of key length, as far as I know, the important element of key length is the distance from the front of the key to the fulcrum, not from the fulcrum to the back side of the key (or hammer). It seems like relative to Kawai's actions it is this latter portion that is longer in this action. Just eyeballing it, it appears to me that this action has a greater distance between key and fulcrum than Kawai RM3, but less than Kawai GF.

edit:Actually, the picture of GF I was looking at was a black key. Maybe this is as long as GF or longer. Can you get a measurement?

IMO, the key length of Kawai GF is better, but I don't like Kawai's wooden actions and Yamaha's GH3, NW because of their after-touch. Just too soft and unstable.

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Wow. Thanks for sharing!

+100000000!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission