Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) End Stage Fright
End Stage Fright
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2034097 - 02/16/13 03:49 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: Chris Leslie]
Olek Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: Chris Leslie
I interpret rxd's comment to be that a unison may shift flat, for various reasons, after the first string is tuned and when the other strings in the unison are brought up to pitch. The maj 3rd, 10th, 17th test can be used to test if that happened. This is not the same as a claimed sensation of flatness, which I don't experience, when a unison is tuned pure.

It can be, my sentiment is that we maintain the pitch high , pushing the tone toward the partials, when tuning the 2 other strings to avoid that.
If unisons are tuned dull then the sound is less clear.

Not less long but allowing less dynamics in my opinion, which is the same thing in the end.

That play with the phase came from Japan

Sorry for what youy wrote RXD, I certainly dont remùind having disclosed any personal exchange, if I did it was not volontarely (I am very attentive to that usually, so your remark bothers me)

When I talk of something said by someone I say who (cite the source) and I don't use things that are in the personal circle usually.

If an unison is tuned pure, it is nicely sounding, the same if it is "perfectly tuned"

Edited by Olek (02/16/13 04:24 AM)

(ad 568) Win a Year Journal Subscription
Win a year subscription to the PTG Journal
#2034146 - 02/16/13 07:59 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: peterws]
Ryan Hassell Offline

Loc: Farmington, MO
I am of the opinion that unisons should be tuned as pure as possible. I believe that the color and "life" to the sound of a piano have more to do with the temperament and voicing of the hammers. That is one reason why I get bored with the sound of a piano tuned in ET. You might try experimenting with different temperaments. I personally like the EBVT3. It really opens up the sound of the piano. Different keys will have different personalities. You just might be surprised at what you hear.
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com

#2035125 - 02/18/13 06:17 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: rxd]
Mark R. Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria, South Africa
Originally Posted By: rxd
Let me help you discover for yourself.
When you have tuned a piano, play a major third somewhere in the temperament octave. Then play a tenth based on the same lower note. What similarity do you notice about their beat rates?. Now ask yourself your question again. You will find the 17th behaves the same way.

Alas, I've just tuned a piano on Saturday, but will only return to it in March with a re-glued damper head (the owners are out for a few weeks).

But in my (limited) experience, the M3, M10 and M17 with a common lower note have very similar beat rates. (If anything, I seem to find that they increase slightly, but that might be my limited tuning skill.)

So, I presume that your test for a flat unison looks as follows:
1) Use the test unison as the top note of a M10.
2) Compare the beat rate of this M10 with that of a M3 and M17 using the same lower note, i.e. check whether the test unison slots neatly half-way into the double octave.
3) If the M3 and M17 both beat faster than the M10, the test unison has slipped flat.

Am I on the right track?

1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.

#2035126 - 02/18/13 06:32 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: peterws]
rxd Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: London, England
Yes.

Eschew obfuscation.

#2035221 - 02/18/13 11:18 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: peterws]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
If you compare intervals like that using a single string (by muting out the rest) against more than one string and the beat rates change, you know the unison is off.

#2036735 - 02/21/13 02:57 AM Re: A bit of Advice needed . . [Re: peterws]
Olek Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Beat rates cannot be precisely evaluated , they ony can be compared, and they wave in speed, so a global listening is better than being too picky on them.

Comparaison between single strings and unison beat rates is even more uneasy. But it is easy to compare the tone and the consonance in the matched partials at large just activity and spectra enrichment is enough, hopefuly. (once an octave is tuned the FBI are tested in case of doubt, usualy consonance is enough to keep consistence in my opinion)

I forget to say, I find difficult to listen and analyse other tuners unisons (deconstruct them) First I must be in front of the piano (recordings give an idea of the shape of the envelope but can be misleading) , second the main thing I notice is how much attack is allowed, which is he only parameter that can be adressed in the end.

Some of my colleagues exactly think the same, saying "I prefer a bit more of attack" for instance (more percussion).

Then , when one is practically constructing tone he obviously use all means availeable, as the sound return from the room, and a deconstruction of the spectra.

A tuner that does not create tone is just missing the point, but, I agree that at some point unisons are simple and so evident any remaining problem is due to voicing (old strings, soundboard tiredness ,etc;)

The instrument the place and the pianist/music dictates what kind of tone is expected.

A light regulation tweak may be enough to change the emphasis on the attack or on the sustain.

In "Pianomania" the tuners is a little exagerating, asking what kind of tone projection Pierre Laurent Aymard wish ? an intimate enclosed tone or a full projecting tone, He said that so to show what a tuner can eventually do, I am not sure it is a question having so much importance for the pianist before a concert.
But PL Aymard rightly send the ball back to the sender bu answering "both" ! (and I give him right in that case)

Anyway, a high level professional pianist can play on all kind of pianos, and will adapt his playing so to be in phase with the instrument. ATworst even uneveness of tone is adresses, after a few rehearseal moments , the mental map is engraved.

Any remaining problem is then asked for correction (and this is really rare unless in recording studios, that the pianist ask for some voicing or a few notes corrections, most of the time he does not even meet the tuner, unless that last is asked to stay so sometime a post it, but concert grands are kept at concert level so they can be choosed before the concert)

the range of "tone opening" among tuners is in my opinion quite large. but the process occur between fundamental and the remaining spectra.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
144 registered (36251, accordeur, 46 invisible), 1515 Guests and 49 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74206 Members
42 Forums
153507 Topics
2249546 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner adult book to read AWAY from the piano?
by What?
Today at 07:46 PM
Sharing custom patches for Ravenscroft?
by Tonio
Today at 07:40 PM
Mozart K310 fingering
by Morodiene
Today at 07:11 PM
1952 Bechstein Grand Piano - family needs appraisal
by feigede
Today at 05:43 PM
Ruben Schoutrop - Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1 in F Minor
by Ruben1
Today at 05:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission