Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27
Topic Options
#1962439 - 09/22/12 07:39 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
premium_devil Offline

Toddy, Torhu, Dewster...many thanks to all you guys.

Went to the music store yesterday but was not able to try it...sad..
But I think I will buy this board on monday.

thanks guys.

edit:
I finally bought it.
I am happy with it though the sound is muffled to me and the timbre change is not that clear to hear.
but after some time of playing and listening, I think it does sound good. I think I am getting used to it.

Not like Kawai and Yamaha, since they have their manufacturing plant here, the price in Indonesia is just same like in US for Roland.
It still has OS v 1.4 or 1.6 I forgot.

Edited by premium_devil (12/06/12 07:52 PM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Your Next Keyboard is at Sweetwater

Click Here

#2027464 - 02/05/13 01:43 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dotted eigth]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Mt View, CA
Originally Posted By: dotted eigth
Will Roland be releasing a new RD 700 series soon? I know the NX was released about 2 years ago and chances are remote; I have a SX and planning to upgrade, but of course want the latest and greatest board available. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Feb 2013 now, and NX was released Sep 2010. Any rumblings of new hardware?

#2027489 - 02/05/13 02:22 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: xorbe]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
I wouldn't mind being privy to that info myself. I certainly like the 700NX and have often considered getting it for something different to my Nord or CP5, when I owned that. But that horrible metallic noise, when accented, on the Ab & A the +5 and 6th above middle C, kills it for me. Yes I know it's not on the Studio Grand piano but still....

Maybe in the fall after the 700NX has been out a full 3 years I'm guessing.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2027707 - 02/05/13 08:51 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Hmm, looking at the Roland page, it's now listed as "RD-700NX Version 2", and I am guessing that is referring to the software update in Aug/Sep 2012, so maybe that was the refresh ...

#2027868 - 02/06/13 04:12 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: Dave Ferris]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Dave Ferris
But that horrible metallic noise, when accented, on the Ab & A the +5 and 6th above middle C, kills it for me. Yes I know it's not on the Studio Grand piano but still....

Spot on. This just RUINS all Roland SN pianos - every single SN sound does it on every single SN Roland DP other than (it would appear) the Studio Grand on the RD-700NX. I really wish they'd fix this issue then it wouldn't take much to persuade me back into the Roland fold.

#2027883 - 02/06/13 05:30 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Dr Popper Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Hancock Park LA (not again)
If you have a NX its no issue ...because you have the studio grand wink

#2028264 - 02/06/13 05:43 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
Deltron Offline

I had a deal to buy the NX from a guy, but he backed out last minute. I really want this piano but can't afford the full store price, bumming out on that.

#2028303 - 02/06/13 06:54 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: Deltron]
Dave Ferris Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted By: Deltron
I really want this piano but can't afford the full store price, bumming out on that.

Could possibly help with that...pm me if interested.

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha CP4, CP5 (home use) , RCF TT08A, TT22A speakers

#2029132 - 02/08/13 03:32 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

I saw a forum reference about "Stretch Tuning -50-0-+50" for the RD-700NX, but it's not mentioned in the manual (or at least the PDF I found). Was this added with an update possibly? (I saw the very-manual-looking-process fine tuning control.)

Edited by xorbe (02/08/13 03:33 AM)

#2029163 - 02/08/13 05:33 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: xorbe]
zapper Offline

Originally Posted By: xorbe
I saw a forum reference about "Stretch Tuning -50-0-+50" for the RD-700NX, but it's not mentioned in the manual (or at least the PDF I found). Was this added with an update possibly? (I saw the very-manual-looking-process fine tuning control.)

get a tuner and he will stretch it up.

#2036143 - 02/19/13 10:55 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

So with the discontinuation of the FP-7F, I wonder if the RD-700NX will be far behind ...

#2036325 - 02/20/13 10:12 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: Dr Popper]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: Dr Popper
If you have a NX its no issue ...because you have the studio grand wink

It's no issue for me anyway. I can't hear any such problem and nor can anyone else I talk to. All notes are completely even in tone to me. Nobody has ever complained about the piano tones, in fact quite the opposite. All the comments I have had have been admiration for the sound of the piano.

My RD 700NX was bought in August 2011 and has had both software updates applied.

#2036694 - 02/21/13 12:46 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

Got home tonight to find that UPS left a sizable present with the family today. I was a little worried because the box was breached, but all is well. It's very nice! cool I can hear that little metallic twang in Concert that rises a little at certain mid velocities -- that's called character! This is a slight step up from my PX-330, one might say. grin And dang that thing is heavy. I do miss the on-board midi recording of the Casio (bust out the laptop, eh.) Anyways, back to grinding through the manual.

#2036834 - 02/21/13 09:09 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: xorbe]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
Originally Posted By: xorbe
Got home tonight to find that UPS left a sizable present with the family today. I was a little worried because the box was breached, but all is well. It's very nice! cool I can hear that little metallic twang in Concert that rises a little at certain mid velocities -- that's called character! This is a slight step up from my PX-330, one might say. grin And dang that thing is heavy. I do miss the on-board midi recording of the Casio (bust out the laptop, eh.) Anyways, back to grinding through the manual.

Congrats xorbe! The box to ours looked like it was kicked in, luckily the NX was fine.

You won't spend much time in the manual, the UI is quite intuitive. There are a couple of undocumented things (IIRC) which are quite handy that have to do with pressing and holding a button. The main preset buttons work this way, pick whatever voice you want and edit it, then press and hold the button and it will be stored as the default for that button.

For the SN APs, turn the reverb off and turn the sympathetic resonance up to at least 80.

#2036852 - 02/21/13 09:55 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
thomsurf Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
I second Dewster's suggestion regarding the sym res. I've had a 300NX since it came out and even though I'm having a love/hate relationship with the board, I'm finding it rather pleasent to play after I turned up the sym res and set the key touch to 'super heavy'. The metallic noise is pretty much absent with this setting for the concert grand.

#2036868 - 02/21/13 10:34 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: voxpops]
slipperykeys Offline

Loc: Dorset, England
Originally Posted By: voxpops
(Edit: the acoustic bass sound is actually quite good, and I'm finding it useful for gigs with LH bass, mainly played from the FP-4, which shares the same sound.)

The best acoustic bass would be acoustic bass 3, it is pre-programmed in the layering, but suffers from that dreadful "click" that renders it unplayable.

Harpsichord 1 has the same click and so do a few of the tone wheel organs plus various other voices.

At 5:11 you can clearly here it on this video of an RD 300NX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aexJrb1w55Y

Doesn't sound too bad as a "one-off" but when you play with no pedal the noise accompanies every note change and is terrible.

Acoustic Bass 1 and 2 don't suffer from it.

Time Roland fixed it.

#2048276 - 03/14/13 03:44 PM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
xorbe Offline
500 Post Club Member

The USB *.wav recording function uses ADC, not digital direct? I see minor random noise during silence when I pull up the data in Audacity! As in, approx 3.2 bits of noise (-9 to 9). I am going to try analog recording tonight for comparison, just for fun. [Clarification, just in case: I'm not saying this is a problem, it's just an observation!]

#2104794 - 06/19/13 09:18 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: FredFabulous]
danielragostar Offline

Loc: London, England
Nice Post,

I bought this keyboard for gigging - Roland is the only digital piano that I can properly express myself on. It has the cutting top end and the deep resonating bass (and all the in between). All other DP's are just played back samples. The fact that this creates the sound on the fly seems to give it so much more depth.

I used Medium Key touch with +8 offset

#2107635 - 06/25/13 04:46 AM Re: THE RD-700NX Thread! [Re: dewster]
danielragostar Offline

Loc: London, England
I'm having some big troubles at the moment frown

So basically I have the FP-4f and the main sounds I use are:

Clav
Concert Grand 1
Pop E.Piano
Full Stops (organ)

(All default configs if configurable)

I recently bought the RD-700NX as a replacement/upgrade and when comparing sounds to the FP-4f, the FP4f sounds significantly springier and has more "bounce"/attack to the sound. When comparing we have all Equalizers and controllable effects (including Reverb) OFF. It's like the FP-4F is going through some nice powered pre-amp or effect before leaving the unit to give the sound more warmth and attack.

We have gone through and compared each sound, but each time the FP-4F wins in terms of punch.

My dad doesn't want me to part with with the "sound" of the FP4F.. but im seriously hoping that I'm missing something here, some things i think that could be worth exploring?

Is there a different method of stereo collapsing on the RD700NX as this piano also includes tones such as "Concert grand MONO" which the FP-4F doesn't have.
Is there some Chorus/AMP or other effect present on the FP-4F (even though not visible on any menus)?
Anything else?

I would be so grateful if you could help me with this, I love the functionality and additional piano sounds on the new RD700NX and it would be so much better than the FP-4f if only I could work out how to get some of that "attack" back that i had for each sound on the 4F.

Kind Regards,
Allan

Page 27 of 27 < 1 2 ... 25 26 27

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spare parts forTechnics SX-P30 (late 90s)
by T E Bekken
47 minutes 43 seconds ago
Notation Question in Ravel
by Anne H
Today at 12:52 AM
Viennese Action
by PhilipInChina
Today at 12:36 AM
Besides Evenness, Any other tips for good Trilling?
by Paul678
Today at 12:15 AM
October Piano Bar
by ladypayne
Yesterday at 11:24 PM
Who's Online
83 registered (Badinage, alfredo capurso, 21 invisible), 1235 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76384 Members
42 Forums
157906 Topics
2319066 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission