2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2036738 02/21/13 04:18 AM
peterws Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
For me, that is.

Now, I`ve heard all this stuff about Software Pianos such as the Vintage "D" which I`ve listened to amongst others, and interests me greatly, although I`m lucky enough to like the sounds of my own DP. So I`m toying wi the idea of buying software (hoping it`s suitable for my piano) to achieve this classic sound. A nice change.

The question is short. Why buy an Avante Grand or any totr DP if the software out there is so much better?

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
M
M
Some people prefer the all in one solution and don't like cables lying around everywhere, especially if you have your DP in a living room or dining room etc.

I prefer an all in one but money dictated buying separates because getting the same functionality on a all in one is very expensive.

Also software pianos run on PC's etc which take longer to boot and setup, no good if you just want to jump on for 10 minutes and have a quick play.

Cheers

Mart.

Cheers

Martin
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
It sounds like it`s about time you could put one on a memory stick and use it offline, straight onto the piano . . . dammit, they`re not cheap are they?

"[Linked Image]"
C
C
I know Ivory II and Vintage D are better than Roland's Supernatural. But I love to sit on the stool, turn on the piano and 3 seconds way starting to play. And IMHO Supernatural maybe is not as good as those software pianos but it is very, very good and expressive on it's own. I love specially the higher and lower notes, the mid range is not that good in my opinion.

I think every solution has it's place and reason. Software pianos are amazing but has a few disadvantages, built in sounds also has them.

When will be a Roland SuperNatural piano with a wooden action?

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Other reasons people don't always use software pianos, besides clutter and instant-on include that they work right out of the box (no tinkering with installation/configuration, or any need to possibly have to figure out how to minimize latency or other glitches); that they are easily portable for playing in different places (or gigs); that it is often easier/faster to switch among (or split or layer) multiple sounds.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
I have both. The AG is strictly for home. The Vintage D/Neo Soul Keys is for gigging. I could certainly live with the DP internal sounds and sometimes do, but the extra 5 minutes to set up is so worth it.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
There are two answers. One is that internal DP sounds are still used by some people or some of the time for reasons other posters have mentioned.

The other thing is that buying an AvantGrand is the really feasible way to use a real grand action to trigger your software piano. It's an expensive way to go, but if you want the best touch, you end up buying an expensive tone generator, which you will not use if you also want the best sounds. Similar argument for other expensive DP's. Great actions mostly come in expensive DP's. Really the VPC is the only exception to that, and it's not exactly cheap.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/21/13 12:21 PM.
peterws Offline OP
OP Offline
I believe Casios have decent keyboards and excellent connectivity for software pianos. Somebody said that. Might`ve been Casio . . .

"[Linked Image]"

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission