Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2036942 - 02/21/13 12:38 PM Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know?
davaofthekeys Offline

By slip-inviting, I mean the hardest one to play "correct" in tempo?

I got curious after listening to several recordings of Baba Yaga (Mussorgsky) without finding a single mistake-free performance. Everyone seems to mess around at the same spot, those fast octaves/chords in the right hand.

Not that perfection is something to strive for at the expense of expression, I fully advocate to let that piece run wild rather than be played safe, but my question is just: is there a more slip-inviting moment in a piece that you know of? Maybe to the point where a couple of slips are generally accepted?

(ad) Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2036969 - 02/21/13 01:23 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
jeffreyjones Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
Chopin Scherzo No. 4 is one of the most perilous pieces out there. Actually, all four of them are, because they're so fast and have such delicate figurations, but No. 4 is especially bothersome because of the rapid staccato chords.

#2036983 - 02/21/13 01:49 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Auntie Lynn Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Feux Follets...

#2037012 - 02/21/13 02:47 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
slip-inviting? sounds like seduction to me

#2037025 - 02/21/13 03:26 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

The coda to the central march of Schumann's Fantaisie in C, Op.17, where there are leaps in both hands at high speed. Richter's live performances are particularly accident-prone (as is Horowitz's in his comeback concert in Carnegie Hall, 1965, played much more cautiously than Richter), but he never goes for safety.....

#2037062 - 02/21/13 04:42 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Ligeti, Musica ricercata no. 1

The entire piece (except for the last note) is composed of A's. So if you accidentally touch a note other than A, everybody knows.

#2037119 - 02/21/13 05:55 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
FSO Online   blank
500 Post Club Member

Loc: UK, Brighton
To my knowledge...likely Michael Finnissy; English Country Tunes.

#2037177 - 02/21/13 07:40 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
BruceD Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Victoria, BC
Just about everything I attempt to play!
Writing from Paris until 15 May, 2014

#2037189 - 02/21/13 08:00 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: BruceD]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: BruceD
Just about everything I attempt to play!

Well that seems fair enough.

I have not formally studied Beethoven's Op. 101, but my piano teacher told me that in the last movement, four measures after the right hand trills, the right hand 16th notes -d, e, f#- then jumping down to an octave on b, were treacherous for accuracy. And Beethoven at that point asks for a repeat!

#2037194 - 02/21/13 08:10 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Any piece that encourages caution to be thrown to the winds - and there are a lot of them.

Also, Scarlatti's fast leaps seem generally treacherous to me.

Of course, today's young pianobots virtuosi seem not to have such human flaws as making mistakes.

#2037197 - 02/21/13 08:12 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
The other end of the spectrum is difficult, too. I heard it was very difficult to find musicians who could play this:

#2037282 - 02/22/13 12:55 AM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
BDB Offline

Loc: Oakland
Here is another piece which can trip you up because of its bare-bones structure. It is hard to hide mistakes in this:

This one has an exotic piano, for those who are into that sort of thing.

#2037329 - 02/22/13 03:42 AM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
La Campanella is near the top of my list. Anything with such large leaps makes it easy to miss. Many people tend to have difficulty with the octave leaps at the end. Even Evgeny Kissin in this great performance, where he clocks in at an incredible 3:58.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0U73NRSIkw

#2037476 - 02/22/13 12:00 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4G-WTzptag as wonderfully played by Claudio Arrau.

I have an almost-lifelong frustration with the giocoso section (@ 4:14) of Fete dieu a seville from Albeniz's Iberia bk 1.

I hate adrenaline. I wish that I can switch it off there.

....and in the realm of the truly er,...spastic: My inability to avoid slips while playing the piano accompaniment to Schumann's Der Nussbaum when sung in the key of G. It's very strange that I have no prob whatsoever with any other key.

(funny, it just hit me that the section of the Albeniz starts in G major!)

#2037539 - 02/22/13 02:17 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Rach 2 is maddeningly un-pianistic in so many spots. Most important skill learned - how to fake really well :P
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

#2037619 - 02/22/13 05:04 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
DanS Offline

Two spots for me immediately come to mind.

The 4th movement of Mendelssohn's Bb Sonata. There are so many quick bass note jumps. Leaving out a few accompaniment notes (or slowing down) is almost required (at least for me). Also, the entire movement is really tricky to memorize.

In Ondine (no, not where you think). Near the beginning, when the intro melody reenters and the acc figure is playing the +5 figure up and down the octaves (right before the C# m9). I could never get from the B to the C# without my hand bumping each other. For me, that was by far the most infuriating part of the piece.

#2037625 - 02/22/13 05:12 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: DanS]
didyougethathing Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: DanS

In Ondine (no, not where you think). Near the beginning, when the intro melody reenters and the acc figure is playing the +5 figure up and down the octaves (right before the C# m9). I could never get from the B to the C# without my hand bumping each other. For me, that was by far the most infuriating part of the piece.

I agree, although I would argue there are more difficult parts in the piece. It's very tough to get, but once you master it it's like ballet.

Also, I'd say (since I listen to MANY performances of both) that a lot of people slip in the climax of Ondine, and the climax(es) of Scarbo, the terrifying two chord part.

Also, the Heroic Polonaise seems to invite finger slippage in parts, and I always seem to catch something when I listen to live performances.

#2037632 - 02/22/13 05:25 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: didyougethathing]
DanS Offline

Originally Posted By: didyougethathing

I agree, although I would argue there are more difficult parts in the piece. It's very tough to get, but once you master it it's like ballet.

Yeah, I know, that's the strange part. The climax and the decending 3rd/4th parts are WAY harder, yet I was able to eventually get them in my hands, but that cross hand thing...ugh. I never could get it even close to the way I wanted it to sound. Also, I never made it through Scarbo. I got about a third of the way in and ran away blush

#2037651 - 02/22/13 05:56 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Liszt's Mazeppa is high up there!

#2037695 - 02/22/13 07:29 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
asthecrowflies Offline

Loc: London, Cambridge, San Francis...
Maybe Lavapies from Iberia!

#2037970 - 02/23/13 12:52 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
musica71 Offline

Loc: Bend, Or.
I find the Chopin Mazurka Op. 59 #2 a thorn in my side. Every time I review it there is a new fire to put out!

#2037982 - 02/23/13 01:15 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: DanS]
Lemon Pledge Offline

In Ondine (no, not where you think). Near the beginning, when the intro melody reenters and the acc figure is playing the +5 figure up and down the octaves (right before the C# m9). I could never get from the B to the C# without my hand bumping each other.

That shouldn't be happening. If your right wrist/forearm is sufficiently low, and your left sufficiently high, and if you raise your left off the keys after playing the octave Bs, there will no danger of colliding hands.

#2038032 - 02/23/13 02:56 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
Pogorelich. Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Rachmaninoff 1 sonata. You have to be a complete robot not to [censored] that up SOMEWHERE.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2038078 - 02/23/13 04:44 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
pianoloverus Offline

Loc: New York City
NO NO NO!A transcription of this song would clearly be the winner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_H-LY4Jb2M

Edited by pianoloverus (02/23/13 04:46 PM)

#2038093 - 02/23/13 05:12 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: Kuanpiano]
ScriabinAddict Offline

Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano
Rach 2 is maddeningly un-pianistic in so many spots. Most important skill learned - how to fake really well :P

http://www.brendankinsella.com/Rachmaninoff.mp3

cool

#2038539 - 02/24/13 04:25 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
dolce sfogato Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Netherlands
Liszt, sonata, octave-passage page 4/5

Chopin op.28/20/31/39/54

#2038635 - 02/24/13 06:52 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: Lemon Pledge]
DanS Offline

Originally Posted By: Lemon Pledge

In Ondine (no, not where you think). Near the beginning, when the intro melody reenters and the acc figure is playing the +5 figure up and down the octaves (right before the C# m9). I could never get from the B to the C# without my hand bumping each other.

That shouldn't be happening. If your right wrist/forearm is sufficiently low, and your left sufficiently high, and if you raise your left off the keys after playing the octave Bs, there will no danger of colliding hands.
So I should keep the upper hand up high and the lower hand low?

#2038646 - 02/24/13 07:20 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: DanS]
bennevis Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Lemon Pledge

So I should keep the upper hand up high and the lower hand low?

Are you playing the LH melody with LH above RH all through that section, or skipping from underhand to overhand and vice versa? Assuming you're playing the whole lot with LH overhand, the RH needs to keep low to the keys throughout, and play the LH very detached, staccato even (the pedal does the rest), to allow enough time to move out of the way of the RH.

#2038668 - 02/24/13 08:16 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: davaofthekeys]
DanS Offline

That upper/lower hand comment was loosely veiled, but friendly sarcasm. wink

I spent a little bit of time yesterday on this part. I think the problem I have with it is that I'm trying to make those 8va rolls as slow as I can(with the top note landing on the beat, obviously)...Think Bernsteins version of the orchestated Alborada. Those big rolled chord from the piano version (starting with the G7 over the F#s) take forever to happen, I just love that. That's the sound I'm going for there. That being said, I have pretty big hands and my LH pinky gets hit by my big fat RH on it's way down.

It's been years since I've spent any serious time on this one...maybe it's time

#2038728 - 02/24/13 10:58 PM Re: Which is the most slip-inviting piece you know? [Re: dolce sfogato]
Kuanpiano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: ScriabinAddict
Originally Posted By: Kuanpiano

http://www.brendankinsella.com/Rachmaninoff.mp3

cool

Kayy, I play just a biiiit better than that :P. Just I have no orchestra!
Originally Posted By: dolce sfogato
Liszt, sonata, octave-passage page 4/5

OMG YES THAT PASSAGE KILLS ME!

Edited by Kuanpiano (02/25/13 08:19 AM)
Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto no.3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
139 registered (Almaviva, ABC Vermonter, AmateurBob, ando, 37 invisible), 1523 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74318 Members
42 Forums
153716 Topics
2253420 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
GH1 tuning pin torque
by awyaks
04/24/14 11:38 PM
Will you take Manhattan?
by davefrank
04/24/14 11:31 PM
Growing student
by pianoplayer84
04/24/14 11:19 PM
Our first piano acquisition- Yamaha U3
by Manutabora
04/24/14 07:56 PM
Yamaha Grand buying choices
by BrianDX
04/24/14 07:35 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission