2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 11 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Originally Posted by btb

Why can we read a book but not a keyboard score?

Reading a book is totally different from reading a keyboard score.

Reading a keyboard score needs much more processing capability.
When we read a keyboard score we need to:
1. Need to know the notes.
2. Need to know how many counts.
3. Need to know the location of the note.
4. Our muscle need to be instructed where to press.
5. Need to read both LH and RH.

All of these have nothing to do with memorizing the notes.

I disagree with this to a certain extent. If we were talking about reading a book out loud, I would disagree almost entirely (based on the way it's worded), but as long as we're not reading aloud, the motor skills function is not necessary for reading. Once we start reading aloud, it is every bit as difficult as sight-reading piano music with one exception, which I will discuss at the bottom.

First, most people read around 250-300 words per minute. The average word has 3.5-4.5 letters in it. That's about 1200 letters per minute. Rachmaninoff's 3rd piano concerto, known for its many notes, still doesn't approach this figure. (Consider 30k notes, approx, at 43 minutes.. averages to nearly 700 notes per minute. Even if you take out the minutes the piano doesn't play, it averages less than 1000.)

We make up for reading by recognizing words instead of individual letters. However, for those who do not immerse themselves in musical scores, they do not pick up on groups of notes (chords, runs, arpeggios, groupings, etc). They simply see notes. Well, if you have to read all letters in order to understand words, you'd be reading books a LOT slower. So, now compound the idea that you don't recognize the "words" of music with the idea that there are nearly 3x the number of "letters", and the answer seems pretty clear.

Music is a language like any other, except we don't understand it as words, but rather process it as groups of sounds.

One major difference in processing power lies in the fact that we practice reading/speaking 8-12 hours a day since birth, but we certainly don't do that with music. Most of us read something every day we are alive, and I would wager nearly everybody speaks throughout the day. We also tend to speak in the language we read. These actions reinforce each other and make reading easier.

I would also wager that virtually nobody walks around reading scores of music for hours every single day. And I would quite easily wager that nobody puts their fingers on the keyboard as often as they speak. (For people with speech impairments, substitute sign language, writing with a notepad, etc.)

The second problem is voices. When we read/speak, there is only one voice we are trying to capture. It is either the voice of the character, your voice, or the voice of the person we're listening to. Processing multiple conversations simultaneously is something the brain is not hard-wired to be able to do. It can be practiced and learned, but you will still miss some things. The same goes for music: multiple "voices" create a particular sound with each passing bar of music, and the brain is not pre-wired to be able to deal with this. It has to be trained to internalize at least part of the process so it can consciously focus on one task.

All of this, of course, is disregarding the need to find the keys on the keyboard, which is both a similar, but also entirely separate, issue. Similar in that it is required for adequate sight-reading. Separate in that it has very little to do with the ability to literally read the "language" of music.

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Derulux ... you’d make a good lawyer for the Defence.

The problem with those who has been hard-wired into the
present system of notation is that they can’t see further than their nose ...
and settle for a crippled sight-reading lifetime.

But what if you change the form of a keyboard score ...
into an accurate graphic representation of the
PITCH, DURATION AND GROUPING OF NOTES ?

Makes the Rach PC3 a piece of cake.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Piano Again
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by BruceD
There are more complexities to memorize than just the melody line.

No lie. If there even is a melody to sing - I sure can't sing Chopin's Op. 10, no. 1, for just one of an endless number of examples.

The singing melody is in the left hand ... with occasional countermelody amongst the right hand arpeggios.

Uh...no, the bass line is not a singable melody, it's just a bass line. And the tessitura of the "countermelody" is out my range.

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by btb

Ha! laugh I've been told that before. Most people who know me told me either to be a lawyer or play music professionally. Of course, being as stubborn as I am, I went an entirely different route. wink

Most of the time, I just like to point out different ways of thinking. But I always base my hypotheses on facts, and if someone brings to light facts/ideas I hadn't previously known or thought of, I consider them honestly and will quite often change my hypothesis to accommodate the new information(after some deliberation/discussion, of course).

Every day we are afforded a new chance. The problem with life is not that you run out of chances. In the end, what you run out of are days.
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Derulux

Music is a language like any other, except we don't understand it as words, but rather process it as groups of sounds.

Actually, it isn't a language like any other. One of the several reasons why it isn't: people have danced to music since prehistory, but do not dance to language.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by btb

Take away all the empty cascades of notes, but what are we left with? I cannot think of one major piano concerto which has more padding than Rach 3. He says nothing new, but rewrites his 2nd concerto with extra guacamole and the bloated interior of an unhealthy burrito made with pork carnitas.

I was reading through Beethoven's Op. 53 this afternoon, which I performed some years ago, but Beethoven makes his point in a fraction of the time, and far more efficiently.

Some things remain a mystery.

Jason
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btb

The problem with those who has been hard-wired into the
present system of notation is that they can’t see further than their nose ...
and settle for a crippled sight-reading lifetime.

But what if you change the form of a keyboard score ...
into an accurate graphic representation of the
PITCH, DURATION AND GROUPING OF NOTES ?

Gosh, btb, makes me wish you had some kind of examples handy for some kind of new graphical representation of scores.... But you wouldn't have anything like that to share, would you? smile smile smile

-J

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Originally Posted by btb

Take away all the empty cascades of notes, but what are we left with? I cannot think of one major piano concerto which has more padding than Rach 3. He says nothing new, but rewrites his 2nd concerto with extra guacamole and the bloated interior of an unhealthy burrito made with pork carnitas.

I was reading through Beethoven's Op. 53 this afternoon, which I performed some years ago, but Beethoven makes his point in a fraction of the time, and far more efficiently.

Some things remain a mystery.

I think his second concerto is a better piece of music, but I think the third works better as a real "warhorse" sort of concerto, where the soloist stands in front of the orchestra. There aren't really any moments in the second concerto where you can sort of stick out as being virtuosic. The fact that Rachmaninoff wrote his third in preparation for a concert tour I think reflects this. It really says the same thing as the second, just the language is less raw and is more introverted. It offers the soloist more possibilities in terms of varied expression and subtleties, which works for some performers (like Horowitz).

Working on:
Chopin - Nocturne op. 48 no.1
Debussy - Images Book II

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by wr

Actually, it isn't a language like any other. One of the several reasons why it isn't: people have danced to music since prehistory, but do not dance to language.

And before instruments, those people used their voices. wink

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by wr

I always had the idea that we "process" music more as emotions than as groups of sounds...I guess it depends on what level you are looking at or what your point of view is...

Certainly motherese, which some evolutionary psychologists speculate is the origin of music, was all about emotional regulation and social connection.

P
P
In a very condensed sense, first we experience the world, then we learn to read, then we read to learn. We have it backwards in music. When reading a book we experience an inner life as rich as the world we live in. When it comes time to read to learn we already have knowledge about the stuff we need to learn. In music, when we start with step three we start with zero knowledge about the world of music.

Of course this is just one model, but I think it's the most practical, and it makes sense to me.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wr

However it all initially transpired (and I'm not at all convinced they used their voices prior to rhythmically beating on things), the point remains - people dance to music, but not to language, and therefore, music isn't a language like any other.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

However it all initially transpired (and I'm not at all convinced they used their voices prior to rhythmically beating on things), the point remains - people dance to music, but not to language, and therefore, music isn't a language like any other.

It has been proven that music is processed in the same areas of the brain that language is - Broca's area. However, I don't think it's scientifically correct to say "music is a language" but rather that music and language share many similar properties. Here is an interesting article on research on the subject:

http://cel.huji.ac.il/courses/structureandprocesses/Bibliography/Fadiga_Annals_2009.pdf

Interestingly enough, there appears to be an association not only with music and language, but also with dancers and athletes as well as pointed out in the above article. Yet you would not say that sports are a language. I'm sure some may say dancing is a language and could make a case for that. I suppose in a loose sense of the term 'language' as something that communicates a thought or feeling, perhaps you could say music and dance are both languages. Not sure about athletic endeavors, though.

Last edited by Morodiene; 02/25/13 09:43 AM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

It has been proven that music is processed in the same areas of the brain that language is - Broca's area. However, I don't think it's scientifically correct to say "music is a language" but rather that music and language share many similar properties. Here is an interesting article on research on the subject:

http://cel.huji.ac.il/courses/structureandprocesses/Bibliography/Fadiga_Annals_2009.pdf

Interestingly enough, there appears to be an association not only with music and language, but also with dancers and athletes as well as pointed out in the above article. Yet you would not say that sports are a language. I'm sure some may say dancing is a language and could make a case for that. I suppose in a loose sense of the term 'language' as something that communicates a thought or feeling, perhaps you could say music and dance are both languages. Not sure about athletic endeavors, though.

Yes, I know that music is, at least partially, processed in the same part of the brain as language. But that doesn't justify saying it is a language like any other. To me, anyway, it clearly is not.

M
M
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by wr

Yes, I know that music is, at least partially, processed in the same part of the brain as language. But that doesn't justify saying it is a language like any other. To me, anyway, it clearly is not.

I was agreeing with you that saying it's a language isn't quite accurate. Also, I wanted to post again because I decided having 6 quotes looked neat. wink

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
As a player of mostly contemporary music, I haven't memorized anything in years...except just recently. There's one non-tonal piece where the texture is constant, and motives are so self-similar but always different. Somehow, playing from the music did not help! So, with a goal of recording it this summer, I'm memorizing it. The hand movements, the intervals, the sonorities. I'm working a page at a time, from the last to the first.

It's only three to five minutes, but an insane three to five minutes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission