Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 227 of 236 < 1 2 ... 225 226 227 228 229 ... 235 236 >
Topic Options
#2068725 - 04/22/13 03:09 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Lost in cyberspace.in the UK.
heads up folks the recital is now moved to "mendelssohn recital home" thats the name of the new thread, because people wanted a seperate thread for it!!!

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

(ads P/S)
Petrof Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2068749 - 04/22/13 03:38 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Well worth the wait. All of these are very musical performances, and they really bring out the lyricism - the song-like qualities - of these pieces. Everyone captured the Mendelssohn spirit that made this music so popular from the first time these were published.

#2068772 - 04/22/13 04:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
JimF Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: south florida
congrats to all the op.19 players.....just wonderful playing across the board. thank you for sharing your time and energy

Estonia L190 #7284

#2072077 - 04/27/13 11:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

The Reiki challenge:

Take one so called reiki master.
Take one hard boiled egg and place on a plate on a table in front of "master"
Take five fertilised eggs from under a chicken and place on plate.
Shuffle eggs.

Let the game commence.

"Reiki master" has to hover his hand over each egg to "feel the life force energy" in each egg and then choose to smash the one he or she thinks has no life force energy ( the hard boiled one) against his or hers own forehead.

Game continues until one egg is left or until "reiki master" gets it right, which conincidently may well turn out to be the same thing.

Rossy: debunking the charlatans with practical displays containing amusing outcomes.

Edited by Rostosky (04/27/13 11:55 AM)

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

#2072698 - 04/28/13 09:02 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
zrtf90 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Ireland (ex England)
Now that there's less practising to do - but more listening! - you might want a change of composer today while you're playing the new reiki egg game.

How strange it is to me that I can tire of listening intently to a professional recording of Mendelssohn but I'm hoplessly addicted to a few of the recital pieces and have played some of them several times every day since they were posted!

Seriously well done, Rossy and Wayne!

In the hope of seeing renewed vigour on this thread here's some Sunday Classics to tickle the spirits and keep you going to the afternoon and today's Op. 85.

#2072716 - 04/28/13 09:50 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: zrtf90]
griffin2417 Offline

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012

Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Richard, how delightful to see you back here on Sunday!!! I've just finished listening to your first two postings, and truly enjoyed them. I'll be listening to the other two posts a bit later after I've gotten some other things done.

I've just finished listening the Mendelssohn performances and I share your feelings about the beauty of each one of the performances. I know there will be more to come. I'm looking forward to listening and enjoying!

Kudos to Wayne and Rossy for the monumental task of organizing, recruiting the participants, and putting it all together. I can hardly wait to hear the rest of the performances.

Right now, it's time for me to get some things done at home. Off I go!

#2073644 - 04/29/13 05:04 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013

Loc: New Orleans
Thanks Richard.. will check 'em out tomorrow when I'm off.

Hi Griffin!

I got a nice little package Saturday. Bill's mom sent me some old sheet music that she found mixed in with some of her old paperwork(she took lessons as a child). It's been fun playing around with. It's called "Rhapsodie" by Maxwell Eckstein. I found a recording of it on Youtube.

#2074461 - 04/30/13 07:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Southeast of Spain
Richard, thanks for you Sunday postings, I especially enjoyed the Pergolesi.

Aimee, loved that Rhapsody, so expressive piece!

Griffin, we missed you at the Mendelssohn recital. Could you join us at the Grieg, please? wink

My website

#2075409 - 05/02/13 12:22 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

We were watching a documentary of Fugazi the other night. They were part of the DC hardcore scene. But this is actually a neat piano piece by one of the members. Sounds like nothing else they do.. it's sad and almost pretty.
I hadn't heard it in a while, and wanted to share.

#2075415 - 05/02/13 12:28 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I also had a tiny Pearl Jam moment.

#2075423 - 05/02/13 12:34 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

And last, Donald Fagen's Snowbound.

#2075696 - 05/02/13 08:23 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
griffin2417 Offline

Hi everyone,
I'm just checking in briefly. It's an extremely busy time right now, and don't have much time to post. Don't be too alarmed if you don't hear from me for a while. I am viewing the postings. However, I just don't have much time to write, or post music right now. My retirement day is quickly approaching, and I have a lot of things to get done.

Aimee, I loved the Rhapsodie. I'll check out your more recent postings later.

Recaredo, I really wish I could have participated in the Mendelssohn recital. However, I was with everyone in spirit. Everyone who performed did a magnificent job! Congratulations everyone!

While it is very tempting for me to participate in the Grieg recital, I won't have time for that this year. My piano teacher thinks I am ready to start work on preparing for my own recital. We've already laid out a preliminary plan for this year to complete some pieces I've been working on the last few years. Once I'm fully retired (and I get a little rest), I'll be able to spend more practice time with those pieces and get them completed. One of those pieces will include Gymnopedie 1 which I performed in our themed recital last year smile

Right now I must be off to work. Have a great day everyone!

#2076130 - 05/02/13 08:01 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Hey Griff!
How much longer until you retire? I am excited for you smile

I like the Rhapsodie a lot as well. I really want to learn it and play it for his parents. The second half is where I'm going to run into problems. I might just wait on it. I want to get the Grieg done, and get it right, since I love that piece. I've been eying it for a while, and want to do it proper justice.

That's great that you will have your own recital.. you better post it!

Now this is rather interesting. There's this album with various artists called, "Son of Rogues Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs & Chanteys." It's all pirate and sea songs. There's some interesting collaborations like Tom Waits(with Keith Richards) Patti Smith(with Johnny Depp), and Michael Stipe(with courtney love?!). Then there's Macy Gray, Ivan Neville, Sean Lennon, Susanna Hoff, Nick Cave, Iggy Pop... what a mix! It's got many different styles of music, so I guess I will have to buy this thing.

Here's Waits and Richards(sorry - couldn't find w/o ads):

#2076431 - 05/03/13 04:43 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I understand, Griffin, good luck with your recital!

Aimee, enjoyed those sea songs, especially “Shenandoah”, it's like a time travel .

My website

#2076619 - 05/03/13 12:06 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Thanks Aimee0, that was an excellent posts, I will pass that info on to a totally dedictaed Waites fan I know!!

Heres a thing; its odd to think that it could be a very different world indeed if just one person had been born with a different name.

How so? I hear you all say, "tell us Rossy, what difference would it make if a name on a birth certificate had been different?"

For the sake of illustration I offer the name : "Alexander"

Now, just imagine, just get a picture in your head of an Alexander, but this time he isnt called Alexander his parents chose instead "John Thomas"

We jump forward in time to a group of ladies talking between themselves....

lady one: OOH, I dont know whats wrong with me today, but my neck has been really stiff and tense since this morning"

Lady no.2: "Well Martha swears by the John Thomas technique" "She says she allways feels relaxed after a john Thomas session"

Lady one: "John Thomas technique, hows that help then?" ( feigning ever having heard of it)

Lady 2 : "Martha says its to sort her posture out, sometimes, he has her laid down flat on her back, and asks her to feel herself expand while he does the John Thomas technique on her"

Lady two: "not sure If I like the sound of that Jane, how long does the john thomas session take"

Lady one: "Depends I think, sometimes she has a longer John thomas technique session than others, sometimes she is in and out quite quick"

Lady Two: "Do you think the John Thomas technique could help my stiff neck?"

And so on, all sorts of folk getting confused, upset and relaxed in equal measure, but a much more surreal world.

#2077213 - 05/04/13 03:29 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

I'm glad everyone liked the Sons of Rogues Gallery stuff.. I will be ordering it for myself in the next few days. There was another album before that, and I might snag it too.

I was thinking about playing more off of Jack White's Blunderbuss, but I think I've done that too many times(but I fall in love with him every time I hear it! It's soooo good!)

New Orlean's Jazz & Heritage Fest is this weekend, continuing from last. It's funny because the headliners aren't jazz(there's 12 stages, but I really think most people only show up for the Acura Stage, which has the big draws).
I believe Rossy probably intervened. Tonight, Fleetwood Mac is playing. Other "jazz" artists this year: Black Keys, Widespread Panic, Daryl Hall and John Oates, Maroon 5, Patti Smith, Dave Matthews, Billy Joel, and John Mayer.

That's all great and all, but the title bugs me. What do any of these things have to do with New Orleans, Jazz or its heritage?

Anyway. Done ranting. I actually brought it up because I saw Billy Joel was here last week, and thought of Pianojoy. Where has she wandered off to?

I will play Billy Joel so the sounds will maybe lure her back grin

Edited by AimeeO (05/04/13 03:30 PM)

#2077226 - 05/04/13 03:41 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

That sounds like the best type of jazz festival possible AimeeO: one with hardly any jazz, so I dont need to intervene, it looks like the organisers have done a great job in the abundance of not jazz related artists.

I will send them a check though for services to music , and they can spend it on ammeretto, women and intoxicants; and waste the rest.

Thanks for bringing this marvellous musical extravaganza with its highly desirable lack of jazz to my attention.

may the g o d s of WMM grant you your deepest wishes and innermost desires.

#2077233 - 05/04/13 03:53 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

LOL I would hold up on that check.. there are quite a few jazz artists wandering around from the other stages, so they might give them some of that money to them! Here is a link so you can make informed decisions with your money: http://www.nojazzfest.com/ I would rather you spend money on amaretto, women, and intoxicants for yourself.

There are two possible theories: a) they are trying to edge out Jazz and make the musicians feel bad
OR
b) maybe they are using non-Jazz musicians as gateway drugs to Jazz

Regardless, their methods are misleading and I do not approve. I also don't approve of any event that has no good parking and involves port-a-potties (or Pot 'O Gold I think is one of the brands here). They also are sponsored by a single beer company, and it is not my beer of choice and it is not fair to me only offer me that kind. I feel it is rather discriminatory towards me and my needs.

I'm so fortunate that I have WMM in my life. Reiki followers have no idea what they're missing. I should start going door to door to spread my beliefs.

Edited by AimeeO (05/04/13 03:55 PM)

#2077351 - 05/04/13 07:25 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

AimeeO , what it is, is this: You have to be "attuned" to appreciate WMM, only folk who are "attuned" ($300.) can understand it. You have to go to two two hour preparation classes over a weekend to get attuned and become WMM "Master"

#2077659 - 05/05/13 01:18 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Just for a laugh for this Sunday afternoon. Here is a funny sketch with a young Andree Previn. I didn't know the great conductor was also a good actor.

My website

#2077684 - 05/05/13 02:15 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Recaredo]
Dipsy Offline

Thanks Recaredo, I actually remember those Morecambe and Wise programmes being broadcast and was very fond of them - especially when Andre Previn was involved - he was a bit of a superstar at the time and the choir I was in was conducted by him a few times. So this clip is a bit of history for me.

#2077752 - 05/05/13 04:16 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Did you meet André Previn, Helen? He is one of my favourite conductors, I have many recordings conducted by him.

My website

#2077843 - 05/05/13 07:11 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: AimeeO]
griffin2417 Offline

Greetings everyone. I'm just stopping by briefly. I wanted to answer Aimee's question about my retirement day. It's set for mid June. Right now, however, I must get back to some cleaning at home. Some family members are coming to town to visit and have a pre-retirement celebration with me.

Back to housecleaning!

#2077967 - 05/05/13 10:56 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Augustina Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
While working on a paper about the Traditional and Modern music of Southern China (thats due in a few hours) I came across this song, and thought it was very pretty!:)

Edited by Augustina (05/05/13 10:58 PM)

http://www.youtube.com/user/Spot1530

#2078665 - 05/07/13 05:52 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Dipsy Offline

About Previn.... - the choir I was in then (mid 80s)was about 100 strong so I never knew Previn personally - perhaps not a bad thing. I remember when we were rehearsing Walton's Belshazzar's feast (especially), and Tippett's A Child of our time with the royal Philharmonic orchestra with him he lost patience with us a few times. A feature of the oratorio 'Belshazzer's Feast' by Walton is the complex interplay of parts at speed, and the rhythm has to be exactly right for the music to work properly. Imagine getting a choir of 100 and an orchestra of as many to perform so 'tight' and together rhythmically that it can turn on a sixpence - that was what was needed to do justice to the music.

The choir was slightly sluggish in responding and Previn said so in a very rude way! This ruffled a few feathers of some choir members and they complained to our choir master, Lazlo Heltay, himself a distinguished international musician.

All ended well though. Previn won the battle of wills, eventually succeeding in getting us to sing with more rhythm. To some in the choir - they weren't used to having a firework up their backsides, metaphorically speaking. The conductor then made a point of announcing to everyone what a good choir we were, and it was true then. The recording with the RPO of Belshazzer's feast which resulted was nominated for a grammy that year. Uncomfortable for a bit, but well worth it in the end.

Edited by Dipsy (05/07/13 08:25 AM)

#2078693 - 05/07/13 07:44 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Recaredo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks for sharing Helen. I loved reading your post on Previn.

My website

#2079688 - 05/09/13 07:20 AM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

if you havent seen this yet, i thought it funny and believe you will too:

#2079885 - 05/09/13 03:12 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

Augustina, thanks for the Chinese piece! Very pretty! (Will also have to show to BillyO.. he will think she is hot. So predictable, that BillyO.)

I will watch the Previn bit tonight when I am taking a break from finishing my new and improved Mendelssohn for the ABF recital!

Ha! Rossy, it's funny you should post that. Remember a few months ago when we were all up in arms about the lameness of Bowie's first single off his new album? And that boooring video? Well, I guess he decided to spice things up a bit on his next one. There are explicit warnings to this one. It stars Gary Oldman and Marion Cotillard.

#2079887 - 05/09/13 03:14 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
AimeeO Offline

On a more sedate note... I heard this one in the drugstore a few days ago, and forgot how much I liked it. Julian Lennon's Valotte:

#2079894 - 05/09/13 03:31 PM Re: Rostoskys serious thread. (by request) [Re: Rostosky]
Rostosky Offline
3000 Post Club Member

AimeeO, did you get anything good in the drugstore? I once tried to swap my prescription for a pick n mix, but they wouldnt go for it.

Page 227 of 236 < 1 2 ... 225 226 227 228 229 ... 235 236 >

Moderator:  BB Player, casinitaly 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
101 registered (angga888, antony, Ashish, Anne'sson, accordeur, 29 invisible), 1251 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74264 Members
42 Forums
153619 Topics
2251509 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Noodling board
by Maarkr
Yesterday at 10:20 PM
New Movement Composed "To Rule" 4/20/2014
by hsheck
Yesterday at 10:17 PM
Understanding Sharps
by imustlearn
Yesterday at 08:18 PM
When a beginner is not a beginner anymore?
by Eight Octaves
Yesterday at 08:09 PM
DEBUSSY-"Serenade for the Doll" from 'Children's Corner'
by Hal Freedman
Yesterday at 07:14 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission