2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2037318 02/22/13 04:10 AM
A
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
A
Are piano duets really popular? When you see performances you never see duets? By duets I mean two people on one piano and not a piano and another instrument. I ask what is the point of playing duets? I have only ever played a duet once in a lesson with my teacher. It was ok but I did not really enjoy it. She played the bass clef notes and I played the treble clef as that was easier for me at the time. I did not enjoy it because I didnt know what I was doing because I played it well, but I have never seen the point of two people sitting at the same keyboard playing one piece of music. You never see this done at concerts or at the proms.

What do others think?

A
A
Last Christmas, my sister and I played two duets together. It was great fun! We're both beginning players and it lets us play something a little more complicated with relatively little effort. It also gave our parents great joy, seeing us make music together, haha. I think it would have been equally fun if she had played a different instrument, though.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsdvCIwmJLQ&list=PLEBuE5OWhpWK6VdF9hNqiIGxZBi78_7ar

It's my work(s) for piano 4 hands. Personally I found it great fun to play with my piano partner (Myrto) and I think that the result is satisfying enough (at least to me! :D). Now from a very practical point of view, a single solo pianist would never be able to play that as is heard, from purely from that view there's no other way to do it.

Other than that, the collaboration of musicians is great fun and so it should be. In the past days, there's been tons of transcriptions of orchestral works, for piano 4 hands. Reason was that they didn't have a way to listen to a Beethoven Symphony and the only way was to actually play it on the piano. But given the fact that it's symphonic music, they were forced to use more than 2 hands! wink

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
I also like doing duets on piano. With other instrument is also nice. It sounds really full and nice because of 4 hands instead of 2, covering almost all of the keyboard. You can't play many of these duets on yourself because too many notes and too wide apart. I usually sing the primus when I study on the secundo (usually I play the secundo which is the usually harder and denser bass side).

I think they are not so popular because it's hard to find someone else willing to invest time in the same piece. Also both sides in the duet have to match each player's level, which makes it a lot harder to find something useful for both.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hmmm...

I guess this doesn't count as "at the proms" does it...
[video:youtube]MhCtr-4HSo8[/video]

And 24 hands isn't really a duet, maybe it would be called a "dodeca-et"?:
[video:youtube]L-JdDyqNLPM[/video]

Even if it's not one's cup of tea, I think this duet w/ Emily Bear improvising (The Girl from Ipanema) is pretty amazing:
[video:youtube]ogH47RXJTyA[/video]

Last edited by aTallGuyNH; 02/22/13 09:50 AM.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I sometimes play duets with other pianists, and there is a lot of good music for four hands. If you are not familiar to Grieg's Norwegian Dances, I recommend that you listen to it.

More frequently, however, I play together with singers, and I really love it. There is a great number of songs for one voice and piano (for instance by Schubert, Grieg, Mendelssohn and Schumann). And even more to choose among if we include piano plus two voices or piano accompanying a choir. I think that playing with other musicians always adds a dimension to the music. I would, of course, also like to play more toghether with other instruments like the violin (or even trios or quartets etc). Unfortunately I don't often get the chance to to this, but it is always very nice.

When comes to difficulty level almost everything is possible. Playing by ear along with a voice or instrument playing a simple song or melody is one option. At the other end of the scale is chamber music by Brahms or other composers. This is extremely fun to do, but requires lots of practice.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you do not think duets are fun, you should watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI-l0tK8Ok0

Learner
I don't know a lot about classical music, but in jazz it's not rare, and it's great! It can be a lot of fun, first. Then it's challenging because you try to play together with two instruments that really can full the space and you want to let space for both musicians.

A few examples: in boogie woogie years Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson did that. Also check out the Chick Corea and Herbie Hancock duets in the late 70's.
You can find them, and certainly many others, on Youtube.

One very special approach to this is Bill Evans' "Conversations with myself", volume one and volume two, two records on which he plays in duet (or even trio!) with himself thanks to overdub studio technology. Amazing how the two or three pianos are mixed together!....

F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member
F
Nikolas, thanks for the video. Are u selling the score somewhere? It looks approacheable for me too.

In my weekly piano studio class, after everyone plays their current pieces, some really proficient players start playing duets that they have never seen. Basically one person brings a duet piece, say Brahms or anything, and ask someone else to play with him/her. Most of those pieces are beyond my current capability to play at first sight. It looks like lots of fun. I am currently preparing for a duet although it's for two pianos. So I should be able to join the fun soon. My studio class is at community college and consisting of two groups of people, young conservatory bound kids and post retirement folks. The latter is the incredibly accomplished ones in 'sightreading' department. They have average of 40 years of piano study under their belt. It's awesome and encouraging to see they play so freely and naturally.

FarmGirl #2037775 02/23/13 12:47 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Nikolas, thanks for the video. Are u selling the score somewhere? It looks approacheable for me too.
Of course I do! smile

There's links in the video, but for quicker: http://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=47
and there's a very nice 33% discount, for anyone wanting to buy two copies (since it's for two pianists): http://www.musica-ferrum.com/catalog/viewitem.php?show=48

EDIT: Just keep in mind that the link I provided was a playlist with 5 videos. The very first one is quite easy, but the rest become harder. Just want to make sure you saw everything and were not 'tricked' into thinking that they are super easy... They are not THAT easy... smile

Last edited by Nikolas; 02/23/13 12:52 AM.

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
Playing with other people is not only a lot of fun and actually quite thrilling, but it is also incredibly good training for really LISTENING to what is going on.

I used to play duets often with my former teacher (- I always played the second part - which was NOT always harder, sometimes both were of equal complexity, sometimes the primo was much harder. (We played the piece that ATallGuyNH posted, "Dolly" by Faure - and the primo part is much harder - but wow...it was fun to work on!) When you are playing a duet you can't just keep barging along if your partner stumbles, you have to work together to get things back on track. I would sometimes miss the dynamics and so I found that I would respond to what she was playing rathing than catching the notation(ok, I should have seen the notation, but still- responding is good!)

Then - we've had music parties at with friends on different instruments - I've played a simple bass line while one of my friends goes wild improvising - and the guitarist and accordian player join in. It is just a blast.

I have played a bit with my niece - not too often because she is in Canada and I'm in Italy - but that is a REAL treat and great fun.

It's all about sharing the music and somehow with a duet the whole is much greater than the simple combination of 2 performers.

Last edited by casinitaly; 02/23/13 06:12 AM. Reason: added info

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
For me piano is about community. All the music I make is community music - in a band that plays for dances, at senior living apartment buildings, charity events, etc. And duets are part of that. A friend of mine and I sat down once and played through a whole book of duets because her students couldn't yet play them and she loved them. For one "4th of July" performance another piano player and I split the bass and treble on Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever, and we had a trumpet, too. And then I got to do the piccolo part on the piano! It's like any other activity with friends - cooking, or building something, or skiing - whatever. It was a great time.

So for me it's making music with people.

Cathy

Last edited by jotur; 02/23/13 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling
malkin #2038338 02/24/13 10:03 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by malkin

So much fun! I hope everyone reading this thread clicks the link and takes a look... it's a little risque though. smile

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
aTallGuyNH #2038354 02/24/13 11:04 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by aTallGuyNH
Originally Posted by malkin

So much fun! I hope everyone reading this thread clicks the link and takes a look... it's a little risque though. smile

I hope Brewer & I can play like that when we grow up!

Learner
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
One of my goals with learning to play piano is to learn how to play with other musicians. The first thing my teacher set as a task towards learning that goal is playing duets with her. smile Duets are a ton of fun (if only I could get my timing right! ha) In my case they have a purpose, to teach me how to keep my rhythm and tempo in check with others. smile

Becca
Began: 01-12-11
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Roland RD300NX
BeccaBb #2211344 01/09/14 09:32 AM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by adultpianist
Are piano duets really popular? When you see performances you never see duets? By duets I mean two people on one piano and not a piano and another instrument. I ask what is the point of playing duets?

You never see this done at concerts or at the proms.

Really? Watch this (from 2:00 onwards): http://youtu.be/RUY0i-u5ynY

And this is one piece that all pianists should play with their teachers:
http://youtu.be/QcNHP12m-_g

....and these: http://youtu.be/s-PtlUOnkBo
http://youtu.be/UTAO2X1x-3Q

If music be the food of love, play on!
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Rerun - I never miss a link to music you post laugh This was great! I usually can't do music/noise in the morning. But I let that one play!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #2211427 01/09/14 12:21 PM
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks Cathy ... I was trying to teach a retired English prof. how to play by ear a few years ago; I'd play the bass line a bit, then we'd swap (teaching her to feel the rhythm) she would laugh as we got going she was having so much fun. Great way to make someone a believer in their ears! grin

I suspect we both enjoy upbeat fun loving stuff that gets a grin out of people.

It's about the fun ...

Last edited by Rerun; 01/09/14 12:27 PM.

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My piano teacher is big on duets. Probably because they really require players to keep correct tempo/rhythm -- and to *listen* to each other, as Cas pointed out. Besides, they can be great fun for players and audiences, as everyone's pointed out. smile

She's mentioned having her younger students play duets at recitals ... but she also gets us oldsters into them at the piano parties she hosts twice a year for us. She and I have played together a couple of times. While I can't say I was thrilled with my performance either time, it was helpful to get me started as a performer. At this December's party, she played a duet of "Sleigh Ridge" with one of her (very) advanced high school students, and we were all surprised when my teacher suddenly made a big mistake and get lost in the music right near the beginning. But she just said "See? Everyone makes mistakes," and they restarted the piece, which went perfectly the second time around.

A couple of weeks later, I had the very great pleasure of seeing/hearing her play as one of EIGHT pianists on FOUR pianos at her church's "Keyboards and More" Christmas concert. Fantastic!

(FYI, the pianists were the stars of the show, but there was also a small orchestra, a father-and-sons saxaphone trio, and a harpist who performed her own stunning arrangement of "Little Drummer Boy" -- drumming on the instrument as well as playing it. Amazing.)

I'm starting to really groove on the idea of playing more duets. My teacher did mention something the other day about the arrangement of "Silent Night" I've been working on having the secondo duet part written in below ... smile

Last edited by piano_deb; 01/09/14 04:05 PM. Reason: typos and ... oh, another one .. and something else I meant to say ...

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission