2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 267 of 540 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 539 540
A
A
Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Here is the video.
[video:youtube]XFJ6nzBs9eA[/video]
PS: The preview is not working... sorry.

Beautifully played, Carlos. Must be awesome to play on such an instrument. I found the moving images at the start of the video a little distracting. Fortunately the camera guy focussed on you and the piano soon enough. A little more hands and a little less face would've been awesome for us piano players, but I understand it may be the other way around for 'normal people' smile

PS: fixed

Last edited by Allard; 09/05/13 07:10 AM.

David Lanz - Skyline Firedance Suite
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme
[Linked Image]
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Just wanted to drop in this morning and say "hi". Playing the Grieg pieces so they sound musical to me is my achievement this week...now if I can record one that captures that this weekend. My work life is super busy this fall and finding any practice time has been tough but I've been up at 4 to squeeze some in before heading out to the highway. I've been fairly ambitious working on several pieces at the same time. Some (like the Debussy Arabesque) are a measure or two at a time. My teacher has assigned us all some Beethoven for our next piano sharing. I've got a movement (maybe two) from #14 Sonata in E Major. Three lines so far. Any mountain can be climbed a step at a time.

Great! I love the sonata. How exciting!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How cool, Carlos! The video turned out great, and the piano sounded beautiful. Was that a look of relief on your face at the end? smile

Mary Bee
Current mantra: Play outside the box.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] XVI-XXXVI
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MaryBee
How cool, Carlos! The video turned out great, and the piano sounded beautiful. Was that a look of relief on your face at the end? smile

Thanks.
in fact, I was pretty tired because I had to play the song a few times during the day ... But yes, it was the feeling of accomplishment.

And I agree with Allard: the video producers had little experience with pianists. They usually make videos for bands and singers.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Carlos, Congrats! I've never listened to Einaudi before. It is beautiful, haunting and peaceful - and you really played it beautifully. Thank you.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Great Video, Carlos! I could see you were really into the music as you were playing, and the result sounded fantastic! Congratulations on making the finals!

My AOTW is finally figuring out how to improve my hand position. This is a big deal for me, because it has been a limitation for my technical ability. I tend to play my thumb too open and too far out on the keys. As a result I end up reaching for the blacks. When I returned to piano as an adult, my first teacher taught me to play the thumb at the edge of the keys, and I have had a hard time changing that. That results in a flat hand and tension. After a year with my new teacher, I am still doing it. So- we chose pieces specifically to address this flaw.

Working on the Kuhlau Sonata and the Heller etude ultra-slowly, I have developed an awareness of where my thumb is playing at all times. Both pieces have Alberti base lines, and are in the key of C with occasional accidentals. By playing at the edge of or within the blacks I am developing a higher bridge and a more relaxed hand. They are easy pieces to play, but not easy to play well. I am learning a ton from them!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Carlos!! I hope you win it all!!

That was a great performance!! Was this video aired on TV? It looks like a TV studio setting to me.

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
SwissMS, it sounds like you've got a great teacher (I think we arrived at that conclusion a while ago though!)

Originally Posted by CarlosCC
Here is the video.
PS: The preview is not working... sorry.

Great job Carlos!

I was thinking (as I was looking at your hands) that you made it look easy. Then looking at your face and body language, it's plain to see how much of yourself you are putting into this, both in terms of emotion and level of concentration. It really shows through in the outcome.

BTW... what was messing you up on the preview is the "#t=10" at the end of the link. For whatever reason, you can't embed a video with a defined start time. You have to either do it as a hyperlink, or start at the beginning of the video if embedding.

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Congratulations Carlos...

I hope this somehow turns up you being able to make a living at piano.
I haven't forgotten your boss and getting you on the show. A good story for TV.

Wish you the best.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you Palmpirate, SwissMS, Amaruk, aTallGuyNH and rnaple smile

Now, testing the preview without the "#t=10" at the end:

Great! It works.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
That is so great, Carlos! I loved the music, and as others have said, you so obviously feel it and love it. Way to go.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Congratulations Carlos. Wonderful performance. It's a beautiful piano too.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
CarlosCC that is an inspiring video. It is a wonderful legacy piece. Even though you appear to be a young man, and may do many more such videos, this is one that you and your family will always have.

Sinophilia, I'll congratulate you here on ordering your new upright piano. You are already a solid pianist. The new instrument will help inspire you to bigger, better, higher, faster, whatever-er.

Week 78: I arrange John Denver's Annie's Song. I do four versions before I settle on something. Annie's Song is a short piece, 18 bars in my arrangement. It is remarkable how one short song can have so much impact. Even as an instrumental, the melody is remarkably simple, and yet packs a powerful punch. The lyrics are to die for. What else this week? Not much else. I continue maintaining some old pieces.

I rushed my recital piece, Avenue D to meet the deadline. I recorded about a week after the ink was dry on what notes I was going to play. In the weeks since, I have really taken to it, and am enjoying what I see as an elegant simplicity.

As an aside, there was a guy on local talk radio talking about the topic of CarlosCC's signature, don't play what's there, play what's not there. The space between the notes. The radio guy is doing some lectures on sculpture, how some greats talk about taking away everything that is not the sculpture. How the greats and see [and hear] so much quicker, so much more encompassing a vision than most others.

To me, it is the zen aspect of music. I get glimpses of it at times, and am grateful for that. I can see why the video producers spent so much time focused on Carlos' face. The fingers could have been any good competent pianist. The face, that could not be reproduced easily. I can understand why the one judge asked which conservatory Carlos attended (even though he is self taught.) The depth of emotion and expression is remarkable. At times the tune comes back to haunt me, and that is a credit to both the performer and the composer.

Last edited by Sand Tiger; 09/07/13 09:15 PM.
W
W
I don't know if this is an achievement but it definitely got me excited. After some time off from learning to play, I got out the books and started playing yesterday. I noticed I read and played differently. I comprehended and played the notes faster! Actually played the notes correctly without guessing the note locations (1/2, 1/3 up or down) if that makes any sense. I didn't have to guess the notes my fingers actually played it before knew it! Hope that made sense!

Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by warlock214
I don't know if this is an achievement but it definitely got me excited. After some time off from learning to play, I got out the books and started playing yesterday. I noticed I read and played differently. I comprehended and played the notes faster! Actually played the notes correctly without guessing the note locations (1/2, 1/3 up or down) if that makes any sense. I didn't have to guess the notes my fingers actually played it before knew it! Hope that made sense!

Something has obviously "sunk in" to your head during the fallow period! Learning often happens like that, doesn't it?
It's like learning to read. You're not spelling out every word now, you can read the story. Well done! Onward and upward!

T
T
This has made me quite excited. This week's comment in my book after I played what I had been working on:

"this is fantastic! Astonishing progress over this year"

Nothing makes me smile like a nice comment does. I worked really hard to make it as perfect as possible. I have the warm and fuzzies.

Now I just have to make next week's piece excellent. Let the practice commence.

Complete Beginner August 2012
'Play Piano' Book 1 - finished
'Play Piano' Book 2 - finished
Grade 1 Sight Reading - finished
Grade 1 Exam Pieces
Grade 1 Scales
The Easy Piano Collection Classical Gold
Yamaha U3

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Ciao a tutti! I'm back! smile Nice to see I was missed smile

Welcome to Rik51 Jaymes and Jessiebear, hope you enjoy the AOTW fellowship!

Farmgirl your experience at SummerKeys sounds delightful!
Everyone seems happy and back to lessons - except me --- boohoo sniff, ....but I start up again next week!!! I can't wait !

Carlos - your video was wonderful! It was easy to see how "in the zone" and focused you are - I loved watching and listening - thank you so much for sharing this very special adventure with us!

Giacomo... can I have pink booties please?

I have no piano achievements to report - in fact it is the first time since I started playing that I have gone a full 14 days without playing....wow

Today I will sit myself down and get some work in - I want to be properly ready for my first lesson!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, welcome back! We missed you.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Cheryl, welcome back! We missed you.

smile Thanks FarmGirl --- it was good to have a break (total break, - no internet, email, cell phone, piano - zip, nada, niente!) but is is good to be back too!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Welcome back, Cheryl! You were missed. I hope you had a great vacation.

Page 267 of 540 1 2 265 266 267 268 269 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission