2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Well said BDB, well said.

I do tend to agree with ROY 123 that the Steinway action rails are archaic now. At the time of their invention it was a good way to create a relatively light,stiff action frame/keyframe unit.
The sostenuto trap-work is clunky. But I don't like damper spoons or lift tray capstans. They allow for sloppy damper regulation that only becomes a problem when you use the sostenuto.

As to soundboards made with more rib crown than humidity crown. I do not see evidence that humidity crowned boards crack more easily than rib crowned. Crown has a function as the expansion joint-so boards bellied at too high humidity have less lee way when exposed to dry environments. That produces cracks quickly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steinway scales may not be ideal, but then, neither are a bunch of other manufacturers' pianos'. They sound pretty good for the most part, something that cannot be said about many of the others. I think some of Baldwin's scales went from very good to absurd in some of their best pianos.

While this may be true, I have never come to fully understand how Hamburg and New York Steinways present such different pianos and results when comparing their identical models.

Almost like 2 entirely different species.

Drastically noticeable in their uprights and "quite a bit" in their grands.

So, "design" can't be all there is to it....

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 02/22/13 11:20 PM.

B
BDB Offline
B
You must have missed my paragraph previous to the one you quoted!

Semipro Tech
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
The rest of the comments about damper adjustment has nothing to do with the accuracy or ease of regulating the dampers.

Many disagree with you. The whole reason for the capstans and spoons is to ease adjustment.
Originally Posted by BDB

The sostenuto mechanism is no big deal to adjust, and does not interfere with removing the stack in any major way. When you weigh this against the fact that parts are available for their grands made in the past 130 years or so, those improvements are quibbles.

Parts availability has nothing to do with sostenuto design--it's like comparing apples to bricks.

Originally Posted by BDB

The results of various methods of making soundboards does not result in hard and fast differences in longevity....

Both theory and evidence show that compression-crowned board can fail early due to cross-grain compression set in the board. You refuse to believe it for reasons that I don't understand.

Originally Posted by BDB

Nor is there any magic that makes Steinway soundboards any different from other esteemed brands that make their soundboards in the same way.

I didn't claim otherwise, I simply said that compression-crowned boards can be subject to early failure.

Originally Posted by BDB

The fact that Steinways are variable does not preclude other manufacturers from being variable as well.

I didn't claim otherwise, and besides, since when do two deficiences make a virtue?
Originally Posted by BDB

...the important thing is that their hammers allow them to make a lot of different, yet excellent, sounding pianos using the same parts and designs.

Many other attributes cause Steinways to sound and play different. Any variation in performance unless specifically intended to create specific variations is always a sign of marginal design or quality control.
Originally Posted by BDB

Steinway scales may not be ideal, but then, neither are a bunch of other manufacturers' pianos'.

Why is that an excuse? Again, when do two deficiencies make a virtue?
Originally Posted by BDB

They sound pretty good for the most part, something that cannot be said about many of the others.

Here we agree. A properly made and prepped Steinway can be just superb.

B
BDB Offline
B
Please explain how having to adjust 60+ capstans and 60+ spoons is easier than just making parts uniform when they are supposed to be even.

Please explain how spending maybe an extra minute to adjust the sostenuto justifies redesigning the parts so that the new parts will no longer be available for antique instruments. I can assure you that I have spent so much time replicating old parts that even if there were any significant difference in adjusting Steinway sostenutos compared to others, it would all be saved if I ever had to replace a part in their mechanism.

Please theory and evidence to show that "compression-crowned board can fail early due to cross-grain compression set in the board," neither of which you present. Please show that all the boards made in any other way have never had the same failures happen to them. I would be happy with a clear definition of what "failure" might be in this case, something that does not reference issues that I or others have been able to overcome through methods other than replacing the soundboard.

I do not feel that I need to justify Steinway or any other company for not making one model piano that is perfect. I just do not believe that one should denigrate any particular company, particularly for things that many of their competitors do differently, and in ways that could be considered worse. It is not good for the industry.

Semipro Tech
I just do not believe that one should denigrate any particular company, particularly for things that many of their competitors do differently, and in ways that could be considered worse.

This would IMHO not be an issue unless one continually claims to be 'best of the best' there is. ['incomparable'...etc]

It is not good for the industry

Thinking it's not good "for the make".

Everybody knowing the market today is far to diversified to make such claims.

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 02/23/13 09:52 PM.

B
BDB Offline
B
There are many manufacturers who claim to be the best of the best. Many of them are!

Semipro Tech
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
Please explain how having to adjust 60+ capstans and 60+ spoons is easier than just making parts uniform when they are supposed to be even.

Unavoidable tolerance variations can stack up, and they have to be accounted for somehow. Key sticks aren't perfect, the felt pads aren't perfect, damper trays aren't perfect. Saying that adjustments aren't necessary if parts are uniformly made is like saying that car engines shouldn't need valve adjustments, which all engines have, either by means of mechanical adjustments or self-adjusting (hydraulic lifters)mechanisms.

Originally Posted by BDB

Please explain how spending maybe an extra minute to adjust the sostenuto justifies redesigning the parts so that the new parts will no longer be available for antique instruments. I can assure you that I have spent so much time replicating old parts that even if there were any significant difference in adjusting Steinway sostenutos compared to others, it would all be saved if I ever had to replace a part in their mechanism.

Once again, I must say that parts availability is not related to design. If Steinway changed the sostenuto design, but decided it was important to make parts available for the old design, they could do so.

Originally Posted by BDB

Please theory and evidence to show that "compression-crowned board can fail early due to cross-grain compression set in the board," neither of which you present. Please show that all the boards made in any other way have never had the same failures happen to them. I would be happy with a clear definition of what "failure" might be in this case, something that does not reference issues that I or others have been able to overcome through methods other than replacing the soundboard.

Oh, please--your protestations are quite beyond the pale. Del has patiently and exhaustively presented all the pertinent facts that any unbiased person should ever need. It seems obvious to me that you have some cognitive bias about this topic. ...just my opinion

Originally Posted by BDB

I do not feel that I need to justify Steinway or any other company for not making one model piano that is perfect. I just do not believe that one should denigrate any particular company, particularly for things that many of their competitors do differently, and in ways that could be considered worse. It is not good for the industry.

You don't need to justify anything. No one expects any piano to be perfect. I simply brought up things about the Steinway grands that I think could be improved. Apparently, you, like other on Pianoworld, think Steinway is beyond criticism and anyone that does criticize them should be verbally whipped. Personally, I feel that criticism if good for the industry. If nothing else, it lets manufacturers know what at least some customers are thinking. Every product in the world is capable of improvement. Hey, I own a Steinway, and as I said, a good Steinway properly prepped can be a superb instrument. If that's not good enough for you...

H
H
Here is some fuel....

Coming from an engineering background, I think the Kawai Millenium III Ninja action blows away any wooden action including Kawai's Boston series made for Steinway.

Why build a delicate/accurate mechanism out of wood when so many advanced materials that have been proven to maintain much higher levels of stability than wood? The action itself does not produce sound.

Kawai RX-2 BLAK Millenium III Ninja
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Del
.. in fact, the S&S Model B is
6’ 10 ½” (≈ 210 cm) long and 58” (≈ 148 cm) wide and weighs ≈ 740 lbs (336 kg).
And the M&H Model BB is
6’ 11 ½” (≈ 212 cm) long and 59” (≈ 150 cm) wide and weighs in at just over 1,000 lbs (454 kg).

Del compared Steinway B to Mason & Hamlin BB in a current thread about aesthetics. Although they are the same length the BB looks bulkier.

The BB weighs about one third more than B and I believe its soundboard area is about 25% larger.

How do these physical differences affect the sound of the two pianos? The more massive rim of the BB in particular?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by Roy123
blah, blah, blah...

So it boils down to someone who has never regulated a damper action thinks he knows better than someone who has.

Someone who thinks something would be better if something were changed thinks that is justification for orphaning older parts. You must be a poster boy for planned obsolescence!

"Theory and evidence" consists of citing one person, despite the fact that there has to be many, many others who disagree (because they are making pianos that he says are made wrong), and that there are thousands of counterexamples which disprove the theory.

It just seems that you, like others seem to do, just resent Steinway's success, and are plucking things out of the air merely to bash them.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
ROY123,
I have modified at least 30 Steinway damper lift tray systems to have the pivot point coincident with the damper under-lever flange. I am with you on that-BUT the extra mass of an added capstan simply makes the system more clunky. I would prefer to have the lowest damper/pedal mass possible in the system that gives fast damping. That way it is quieter and quicker to use. The added capstans and the W,N&G back action system don't provide that. Once trained, regulating the Steinway style damper system is quicker than bending and turning all those spoons and capstans.

Just because Del has posted Homeric length Pianoworld polemics for rib-crowned boards over compression boards is no proof! I have heard and played several of his rebuilds where he was given free reign to re-design the soundboard/bridge/string set as he wanted. They all were very disappointing pianos.

I have been replacing soundboards for over 30 years and use compression crown. I also have developed some modifications to what I think is the Steinway system so I am not a strict traditionalist. And I agree with a lot of what Del says about pianos BUT I have some very distinct differences.

I HAVE heard several rebuilt pianos where the soundboard was fabricated with some version of a rib-crowned system that sounded very good-SO it is a subject that is very difficult to come to hard and fast proofs.

The consequences to the customer do call for sober reflection on what and how engineering changes to a piano design is approached.

Withindale,
The BB has a darker tone overall and a deeper bass than a B, if it is put together like the older ones. The BB treble scale is shorter than the A (5'8"). If you boost this when rebuilding-the treble become very good. I think the new BB's do that.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
I HAVE heard several rebuilt pianos where the soundboard was fabricated with some version of a rib-crowned system that sounded very good-SO...

I like it when techs, designers and piano geniuses talk about "sound"

This is where my interest in any piano either "starts" or "ends".

marketing generally is, perhaps unfortunately, a dominant factor in manufacturing decisions.

Amazingly some companies have done exceedingly well without any of that. In fact, some of the "least visible" among them are presently sold out months ahead of time.

These are alos the ones needing least "marketing advice" or "consultancy" by others.

Perhaps they are doing something right not much depending on "marketing" their wares?

And no, not just speaking about the few we happen to represent ourselves...

There a number to this list.

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 02/24/13 03:02 PM.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Norbert
I HAVE heard several rebuilt pianos where the soundboard was fabricated with some version of a rib-crowned system that sounded very good-SO...

I like it when techs, designers and piano geniuses talk about "sound"

This is where my interest in any piano either "starts" or "ends".

marketing generally is, perhaps unfortunately, a dominant factor in manufacturing decisions.

Amazingly some companies have done exceedingly well without any of that. In fact, some of the "least visible" among them are presently sold out months ahead of time.

These are alos the ones needing least "marketing advice" or "consultancy" by others.

Perhaps they are doing something right not much depending on "marketing" their wares?

And no, not just speaking about the few we happen to represent ourselves...

There a number to this list.

Norbert smile

Norbert my friend:

I am afraid you have missed the boat on this one.

The Marketing effort needs to be in proportion to the results desired.

Even the great piano manufacturers that you cite do indeed "market" their products. It may not be in the same way as the "volume" brands to be sure, but the marketing efforts of the great companies succeed in their selling out their extremely limited production, that is the key point.

Imagine, however, what kind of "marketing" Sauter or Steingraeber or Fazioli would need to do if their annual sales goals were multiplied 25 fold. Or 50 fold. See the difference?

One need not run commercials on the Super Bowl broadcast to sell the annual production of Chateau Petrus. Gallo, on the other hand...

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by BDB
blah, blah, blah...

So it boils down to someone who has never regulated a damper action thinks he knows better than someone who has.

BTW, I have regulated a damper action--two, in fact. One on an old Baldwin C I had, and one in my current Steinway M. On what basis did you state, with no qualifications,that I hadn't????????
However, the real point is that the piano companies making and supplying the newer style damper actions think they are better. Do you know better than they? What pianos have you designed, built, and sold?

Originally Posted by BDB

Someone who thinks something would be better if something were changed thinks that is justification for orphaning older parts. You must be a poster boy for planned obsolescence!

What you call obsolescence other people might call progress.

Originally Posted by BDB

"Theory and evidence" consists of citing one person, despite the fact that there has to be many, many others who disagree (because they are making pianos that he says are made wrong), and that there are thousands of counterexamples which disprove the theory.

Most theories start with one person. Should Newton and Einstein be ignored because Newtonian mechanics and General Relatively each came from one person. I know of no counter examples. Please give some. You may recall that Del has explicitly said that sometimes compression crowning can work well, but in many cases it does not. That sounds like a marginal design that pushes the wood up to and often beyond its limit. Del has cited the authorities on the cross-axis compression strength of spruce, and the kind of compression strain induced in compression-strained soundboard panels. The only counter example of any worth is one that can cite, by means of some math, why the compression strain induced in the soundboard panel is not great enough to cause compression set in the panel. To my knowledge you have never done so.

Originally Posted by BDB

It just seems that you, like others seem to do, just resent Steinway's success, and are plucking things out of the air merely to bash them.

I don't resent any piano company's success be they Steinway or the lowliest piano company out there. I merely suggested some things that I think would improve Steinway pianos. I was very careful to qualify my remarks, and made it clear that they were the opinions of a knowledgeable amateur and not an industry professional. There were only my opinion, which I have a right to. As I said before, some people think that Steinway is beyond criticism. Well, phooey to that--no companies are perfect, and all products sold in the marketplace have some deficiencies. I keep repeating that a good Steinway, well prepped, is a superb piano. If you think that's bashing, you have an unusual definition for it. Quite frankly, I've had quite enough of replying to your fatuous comments--you can have the last word. I have better things to do.

Imagine, however, what kind of "marketing" Sauter or Steingraeber or Fazioli would need to do if their annual sales goals were multiplied 25 fold. Or 50 fold. See the difference?

The curious fact is that these and several other companies will never be able nor "wish" to multiply their annual sales 25 fold.

For example doubting Charles Walter has these ambitions.

For those "small is beautiful", full employment king and quality tops.

Not exactly "missing the boat" in my way of thinking..

Norbert smile

Last edited by Norbert; 02/24/13 04:12 PM.

B
BDB Offline
B
I have better things to do.

No doubt, as you certainly have nothing to contribute here.

Semipro Tech
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Originally Posted by Norbert

The curious fact is that these and several other companies will never be able nor "wish" to multiply their annual sales 25 fold.

For example doubting Charles Walter has these ambitions.

For those "small is beautiful", full employment king and quality tops.

Not exactly "missing the boat" in my way of thinking..

Norbert smile

Well, I agree. Nor does Chateau Petrus.

So their "marketing" efforts are consistent with their business models. And are quite successful, which is my point.

I would like very much to be in their shoes, as opposed to some others.

And I know you agree.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission