Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Who's Online
132 registered (Abby Pianoman, accordeur, 36251, 36 invisible), 1587 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2037698 - 02/22/13 07:41 PM Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely?
BWV 846 Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, Maryland
In other words, not Sokolov since apparently he doesn't come to the US. I am trying to increase my classical music knowledge, http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2032307/gonew/1/ and would like to know who I definitely shouldn't miss when he/she comes to Washington, DC or Baltimore.

By "Top 10" I mean the ones that you think are best or would most want to see perform.

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2037704 - 02/22/13 07:51 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
DanS Offline
500 Post Club Member

Kissin and Hamelin

#2037709 - 02/22/13 08:07 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
You should not miss anyone. Especially, you should go to as many student recitals as you can. They may be one of the top performers some day, or they may be one that has not been discovered, and they may never be discovered. A local performer could be as great a pianist as a touring professional, but may not want that career. You just never know.

#2037733 - 02/22/13 09:23 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
pianoloverus Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York City
YouTube is the best to listen to an incredible amount of classical piano performances from any and all of the great pianists.

#2037746 - 02/22/13 10:14 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: pianoloverus]
argerichfan Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus
YouTube is the best to listen to an incredible amount of classical piano performances from any and all of the great pianists.

One could spend HOURS exploring all the wealth on YouTube.

And I do...

Yesterday it was Judy Garland. (What charisma the lady had.) But tonight perhaps a search for selections from the Eton Choirbook. All this and pianists too!

#2037765 - 02/22/13 10:47 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
gooddog Online   content
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Seattle area, WA
Don't miss Stephen Hough.

Deborah

#2037769 - 02/22/13 10:58 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

I definitely won't go just to the top 10 or 20. BDB, I regularly go to the Peabody Conservatory free Thursday noon recitals. http://www.peabody.jhu.edu/events/thursdaynoon.html

But it would be nice to know who more experienced people perceive as the top performers, since (as far as I can tell), there really aren't any towering figures like, say, Horowitz.

#2037770 - 02/22/13 11:08 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
Auntie Lynn Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Yuja Wang

#2037779 - 02/23/13 12:13 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
AldenH Offline

Loc: Texas
I think Europe alone counts as performing widely. Europeans don't get to hear Bronfman or Thibaudet as much as we do.

So, that in mind:

Volodos
Sokolov
Pollini
Perahia
Bavouzet
Denk
Hamelin
Grosvenor
Volodin
Biss

...among many others.

#2037830 - 02/23/13 05:59 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
wr Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Lupu
Ohlsson
Uchida
Andsnes
Freire
Thibaudet
Denk
Biss
Queffelec
Osborne
Trpceski
Kocsis
Wang
Tomsic
Nel
Ax

Don't know if Richard Goode is still touring - if so, him.

Edited by wr (02/23/13 06:00 AM)

#2037839 - 02/23/13 07:22 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Goode is touring with a late Beethoven sonatas program this year.
It was also nice to see that Pollini is scheduled to perform in Europe and the US this year after a 2 year absence. He is planning an All Beethoven concert in May and Chopin+Debussy's Preludes I in April.

Don't forget chamber music. Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving.

Did anyone mention Lugansky?

Edited by Andromaque (02/23/13 07:29 AM)

#2037870 - 02/23/13 09:26 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: Andromaque]
Gerard12 Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
.....Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving......

Wow. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I started to drool when I read this!

(Concerts are a tough deal for me nowadays, because I currently live a 3 hour drive away from a major city.)

#2037883 - 02/23/13 10:10 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: pianoloverus]
Pogorelich. Online   blank
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: in the past
Originally Posted By: pianoloverus

Live concert is better.

'I want to invest my emotions only in music; it will never disappoint me or hurt me - it is a safe place to be.'

#2037978 - 02/23/13 01:07 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: Gerard12]
Andromaque Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Gerard12
Originally Posted By: Andromaque
.....Isserlis and Kirill Gerstein are touring the US with a marvelous program of Brahms sonatas for cello+piano and Ades' Lieux retrouves in several venues this year. The music making is superb and very moving......

Wow. I'm not embarrassed to admit that I started to drool when I read this!

(Concerts are a tough deal for me nowadays, because I currently live a 3 hour drive away from a major city.)

That recital was probably one of the most beautiful two hour spans I have spent, in a while. I was moved not just by the beauty of the music, but by the intense musicianship and dedication to the music by two amazing artists. There was such great synergy between them and so little drama and ego display. Breathtaking! Travel the 3 hours if they land anywhere near you! smile

#2038021 - 02/23/13 02:38 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

I guess that there are some great pianists who don't (or won't) play in the USA for whatever reason these days. Among the pianists I never miss are Krystian Zimerman and Mikhail Pletnev (who recently raised hopes he might start playing in public again). Benjamin Grosvenor recently joined that group. And now that I've heard her, Yuja Wang too.

Oh, and Lang Lang, who never fails to lift my spirits, whether or not I agree with what he does wink .

#2038049 - 02/23/13 03:27 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

I have seen Lang Lang, Yuja Wang, and Perahia. I have a ticket to see Kissin in April. Pollini is also coming in April and I plan to see him. I had a ticket for Hamelin (Baltimore's Shriver Hall concert series) but unfortunately was not able to make it.

#2038115 - 02/23/13 06:13 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
Serge Marinkovic Offline

Loc: United States
Sokolov and Pletnev are very distinctive in performance while the rest of the above lists are wonderful but to me not as fulfilling. Its like seeing Gilels at Carnegie Hall when I was in college. Just mind altering playing everyone else is so similar.

#2038280 - 02/24/13 03:45 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: bennevis]
Bobpickle Offline

Gold Supporter until July 10  2014

Loc: Cameron Park, California
Originally Posted By: bennevis
I guess that there are some great pianists who don't (or won't) play in the USA for whatever reason these days.

I'd give doing so at least a second-thought if my personal Steinway concert D was destroyed by U.S. airport security because it smelled funny.

I do wish I could see - among others - those on your list.

#2038303 - 02/24/13 07:01 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
Mr. McFugue Offline

Loc: Tempe, AZ
I recommend attending recitals at universities and music schools in your area, especially those given by faculty and visiting artists. I've attended some that were more enjoyable than those given by famous artists, for no charge or a nominal fee.

#2038307 - 02/24/13 07:07 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Here, as opposed to there
Go hear everyone that you possibly can. There are a few names I'd leave OFF that list, but I won't bother with that now.

By the way, I assume you enjoyed Angela's recital? I told you she'd love the flowers.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

#2038350 - 02/24/13 09:49 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
kapelli Offline

Loc: Poland
Berezowsky, Demidenko

#2038378 - 02/24/13 10:38 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

stores, I did enjoy Angela's recital -- I think her playing of the gigue of Bach's Fifth French Suite is one of the best things in the world.

Thanks for your advice, it really helped. She seemed to like the flowers. I'm really glad I did it.

Tonight, I am going to see Simone Dinerstein (Goldberg Variations).

#2038482 - 02/24/13 02:47 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
im@me Offline

I recently saw Benjamin Grosvenor, that was amazing, another favourite was Paul Lewis and Steven Osbourne playing Schubert duets

#2038877 - 02/25/13 07:10 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
BWV 846 Offline

I must say, I was a bit disappointed with Dinnerstein. I love the Goldbergs, but (to me at least) she made them seem bland and boring. But I guess it tend to show that tiny changes in dynamics, phrasing, etc. can mean the difference between an average performance and a great one.

My favorite Goldberg Variations performance is Murray Perahia,but for most Bach keyboard works, Angela Hewitt is my favorite.

#2038949 - 02/25/13 10:50 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:
I ve never seen anything like Sokolov's 2012 program (he s changed it now). Mozart s A minor sonata and Rameau. He 's just on a different level, at elast in that repertoire.

#2038960 - 02/25/13 11:16 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: BWV 846]
landorrano Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: France
Originally Posted By: BWV 846
I must say, I was a bit disappointed with Dinnerstein. I love the Goldbergs, but (to me at least) she made them seem bland and boring. But I guess it tend to show that tiny changes in dynamics, phrasing, etc. can mean the difference between an average performance and a great one.

My favorite Goldberg Variations performance is Murray Perahia,but for most Bach keyboard works, Angela Hewitt is my favorite.

Hi Prélude. I wasn't at the concert, and I don't know Dinnerstein's playing, so I can't defend her playing. But you'll nearly always have a hard time if you are comparing what you hear in a concert to a recording that you've heard ad infinitum.

Edited by landorrano (02/25/13 11:17 AM)

#2038988 - 02/25/13 12:09 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: Mr. McFugue]
RachelEDNC Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr. McFugue
I recommend attending recitals at universities and music schools in your area, especially those given by faculty and visiting artists. I've attended some that were more enjoyable than those given by famous artists, for no charge or a nominal fee.

I agree. I have seen many of the big names in piano today. Probably most all of my favorite performances have been given at student or professor recitals.
Example- I have heard Lang Lang and Andre Watts perform the Rachmaninoff 2nd Concerto. I have also heard it performed twice, by two separate students. In order of who I like best:
Student #1, Lang Lang, Student #2, Watts.

Famous pianists have either good publicists/connections/won competitions (or all three). There are many pianists around who do not have those things, yet still have the technique and passion to make for a wonderful performance.

#2039065 - 02/25/13 02:40 PM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: RachelEDNC]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: RachelEDNC

I agree. I have seen many of the big names in piano today. Probably most all of my favorite performances have been given at student or professor recitals.
Example- I have heard Lang Lang and Andre Watts perform the Rachmaninoff 2nd Concerto. I have also heard it performed twice, by two separate students. In order of who I like best:
Student #1, Lang Lang, Student #2, Watts.

Famous pianists have either good publicists/connections/won competitions (or all three). There are many pianists around who do not have those things, yet still have the technique and passion to make for a wonderful performance.

I have the opposite impression, from decades of attending concerts. For the first ten years (after I started working and could afford it), I'd go to every concert I could attend, regardless of the fame or otherwise of the pianist. Every concert then was a discovery for me, and I enjoyed comparing and contrasting different interpretations of the same works. Some of the pianists whose concerts I went to were unknown names who eventually became celebrated within a few years. I also attended as many free student recitals as I could.

Since then, I've become more picky about going to concerts that aren't free grin, and have come to the realization that celebrated pianists are celebrated for good reasons (I discount people like Richard Clayderman et al.....): they almost invariably have that indefinable 'wow' factor that made me prick up my ears and really, really listen. I still remember attending Mikhail Pletnev's first London concert in a small hall - he was then an unknown name in the West, just one of several Soviet pianists who won the Tchaikovsky Competition and allowed to play in the West for the first time. The almost insolent ease with which he tossed off the most fiendish difficulties (in Rachmaninoff's Etudes-tableaux), the amazing range of colour and articulation no matter how dizzying the tempi, his individual quirks and razor-sharp wit (not something Russian pianists are noted for) all pointed to real star quality. And so it proved over the next few years....

Conversely, most other young pianists I heard were very competent but nothing special. The only free student concert I'd heard that made me sit up and take notice was by someone who, a few years later, won a major competition and went on to big things.

#2039453 - 02/26/13 07:38 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: RachelEDNC]
izaldu Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc:

Agreed. Yuja Wang was here this weekend with a local orchestra. She was on the news on the main channel, with the minidress and the stiletto heels. Sokolov, Kissin, Perahia, come pretty much every year and you struggle to find a review on any newspaper. This is no coincidence and definitely not down to artistry.

#2039560 - 02/26/13 11:13 AM Re: Top 10/Top 20 Pianists Currently Performing/Touring Widely? [Re: izaldu]
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: izaldu

Agreed. Yuja Wang was here this weekend with a local orchestra. She was on the news on the main channel, with the minidress and the stiletto heels. Sokolov, Kissin, Perahia, come pretty much every year and you struggle to find a review on any newspaper. This is no coincidence and definitely not down to artistry.

Sokolov, Kissin and Perahia are long-established names with long-established reputations, connections and recording contracts (except Sokolov, through every fault of his own....). Perahia has just been celebrated by Sony with a huge 67 CD + 5 DVD box containing all his CBS/Sony recordings plus Vox and BBC recordings. What any reviewer say about their concerts will have little impact on their marketability.

Yuja Wang on the other hand is still making a name for herself. (Only last year, she made her debut in London's International Piano series, not in the big Royal Festival Hall, but the smaller Queen Elizabeth Hall.) Naturally, her fashion sense will be scrutinized.....

What really would be interesting is if there's an unknown name with fabulous technique and musicianship comparable to Sokolov, Kissin and Perahia - and been around a while - but has still not been picked up by concert managements and the pianistic cognoscenti. I can't think of any.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
(ad) Piano Music Sale - Dover Publications
Piano Music Sale
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
"It Don't mean A Thing (If it Ain't...
by prout
11/27/14 04:43 PM
Yamaha CP33?
by Possum SP280Krome
11/27/14 04:16 PM
E4 Just Won't Come Into Tune
by Cobra1365
11/27/14 03:49 PM
10k budget for a piano in SW Ontario
by bogdan101
11/27/14 03:47 PM
Roland PHA3 action, graded?
by stamkorg
11/27/14 02:54 PM
Forum Stats
77071 Members
42 Forums
159404 Topics
2341561 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission