2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, benkeys, 17 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
OP Offline
P
Hi,
I’ve purchased a new Kawai CA-65 beginning of Jan this. Unfortunately, part of the keyboard was right out of the box out of alignment (several keys are raised). Kawai sent a technician (3rd party local repair service), and the technician concluded that the whole rail is improperly assembled or bent. Kawai now wants to replace the whole keyboard (once they have the part in stock which they currently don’t have)

Now my question: What can I expect to be replaced? Just the rail and the wooden keys? My understanding the factory adjusts each key separately, and I wonder if a 3rd party technician is equipped to do this properly?

I don’t know if I will receive a new or refurbished keyboard (see Kawai’s warranty fine print), however can I insist on a new keyboard replacement? (Since it was a problem with the new unit).
Anyone has any experience with Kawai on this?

Peter

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Peter,

Originally Posted by pschmatz
Kawai now wants to replace the whole keyboard (once they have the part in stock which they currently don’t have)

That sounds like a good solution.

Now my question: What can I expect to be replaced? Just the rail and the wooden keys?

I would recommend calling Kawai America and asking their staff to clarify the situation. This information should be more reliable than any conjecture offered by other PianoWorld forum users.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I wouldn't insist on the replacement rail being new (which it probably will be anyway). If the replacement fixes the problem and keeps the warranty intact then it's a full solution. No need to make yourself unnecessarily burdensome for the good folks at Kawai by insisting on things that don't make a difference.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Along that same vein ...

I would suggest you just let everything play out and see what the result is. No need to look for trouble before there is any.

For the moment, it appears the Kawai people recognize it as something they are responsible for and they are going to remedy it. Sounds good to me.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
P
OP Offline
P
Sounds good - thanks everyone

Peter

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
You have bought a lemon and/or a product damaged in transit.

Unfortunately, based on a myriad of other threads, there is evidence to suggest that the Kawai keyboard manufacturing design and transportation packing design is inadequate resulting in many consumer issues.

This is their problem, not yours. It is unacceptable that they are trying to make it your problem.

You should demand to have the entire CA-65 replaced with a new one.

Period.

J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
If replacing the keybed results in exactly the same thing ; a new and fully functional DP, then why ? Disassembling , repacking the cabinet, pick-up, waiting for new on and unpacking, re-assembling a new one...is that really better ? Especially when all the rest (speakers, pedals, amps, cabinet) is perfect.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Mighty big "IF" in your first sentence up there...

My experience with the third party service providers that Kawai is forced to rely upon is not great. If I were to buy a Kawai product paying new prices, I would like to have a brand new, quality controlled, factory-built instrument, not some DOA lemon turned into an in-field project of a part-time contract employee performing work he has likely never done before following some checklist using potentially used, re-furbished parts. When the cabinet is damaged, will Kawai have to then send out a new cabinet to build around the keyboard?

Interesting discussion.

However, let's allow Kawai America to resolve the situation, rather than speculating on unlikely worst case scenarios.

James
x

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by theJourney
My experience with the third party service providers that Kawai is forced to rely upon is not great. If I were to buy a Kawai product paying new prices, I would like to have a brand new, quality controlled, factory-built instrument, not some DOA lemon turned into an in-field project of a part-time contract employee performing work he has likely never done before following some checklist using potentially used, re-furbished parts.

Recommendation to Peter, above:

I would have the piano replaced, not repaired.

Here was my experience with a standard regulation of the CA95:

I had a third party technician (from the local store I bought my CA95 at) do a minor regulation, as the tech did not do everything I had requested. This included properly spacing a few keys and adjusting several others that made a little extra noise. All of this should be minor adjustments that any tech should be able to do, right?

The tech brought only one tool (that Kawai had sent, from California) to open up the diameters of each pivot point slightly so that there would be no sticking keys. He did all 88 keys with this one tool and put the piano back together again, as he needed my (the customer's) help with the assembly.

After dropping and almost losing several small screws in the piano it was reassembled, however, one part (the wooden name plate) was screwed in by error as the sliding key cover parts had to be attached, first. So, after making extra work for himself everything was finally back in place.

One small problem. The sliding key cover now rattles considerably when opening/closing as it never made a sound prior to the regulation. And, he didn't want to take the piano apart again to attempt to readjust it.

Looks like the only thing he got right was the "regulation" of the 88 keys with the small hand tool, as a small child could have easily accomplished the same task.

Was I happy with the third party tech's work? No.

Was he even a certified Kawai technician?

Have reported the tech, to Kawai.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Interesting discussion.

However, let's allow Kawai America to resolve the situation, rather than speculating on unlikely worst case scenarios.

James
x

James,

Congratulations with your new role as moderator!
Will we see your name on the forum list marquee any time soon?

Or may we be of service to the OP and give our experiences and our personal recommendations, aligned with the spirit and role of this forum....even if reality is from time to time not flattering for your employer nor its products and distribution?

If you think that this discussion is relevant for Kawai America, why not invite them to join in? Perhaps we would see a lot fewer of these defect Kawai keyboard threads popping up if people could search on an official thread from Kawai America and/or Kawai Europe that addresses the problem and provides consumer-friendly solutions. Food for thought.

xx
tJ

James,

Congratulations with your new role as a pragmatist!

Thank you, I try my best! wink

If you think that this discussion is relevant for Kawai America, why not invite them to join in?

Because Kawai America is already corresponding with the customer directly.

Don't get me wrong - online forum discussions with consumers can be very beneficial. However, in cases such as this, where an instrument appears to have been damaged during shipping, it's best for the individual to contact the distributor to seek technical support.

Kind regards,
James
xx

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Hi,
I’ve purchased a new Kawai CA-65 beginning of Jan this. Unfortunately, part of the keyboard was right out of the box out of alignment (several keys are raised). Kawai sent a technician (3rd party local repair service), and the technician concluded that the whole rail is improperly assembled or bent. Kawai now wants to replace the whole keyboard (once they have the part in stock which they currently don’t have)

Now my question: What can I expect to be replaced? Just the rail and the wooden keys? My understanding the factory adjusts each key separately, and I wonder if a 3rd party technician is equipped to do this properly?

I don’t know if I will receive a new or refurbished keyboard (see Kawai’s warranty fine print), however can I insist on a new keyboard replacement? (Since it was a problem with the new unit).
Anyone has any experience with Kawai on this?

Peter

I would contact Kawai support and discuss this with them to see exactly what your options are.

Ask them if you have the option of returning it and having them send you a new one.

Ask them if you have the option of returning it and getting your money back.

Ask them if you have the option of having the keybed and rail replaced and then return it if you are not happy with it.

Go right at it with them to see what your range of options are.

I am pretty sure you have all of those options.

But, anyway, once you know what your options are, you will feel better.

Then, do what YOU want to do.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
J
JFP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Hi,
...and the technician concluded that the whole rail is improperly assembled or bent. Kawai now wants to replace the whole keyboard ...

The fault was identified; a solution was proposed and initiated. Why not let them replace the keybed with a new one and see what happens ? If the problem is still not solved in a satisfactory way , or if it takes to long - then ask for a complete unit replacement. A said, disassembling, repacking all the stuff , waiting for pickup , waiting for (new) return , unpack and reassemble is also no fun and who knows you end up with a unit that has another defect. You never know. As long as the keybed is the only thing and it will be replaced and Kawai is on the job organizing all this already, why making it more difficult than it is ? I don't see the point.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
James,

Congratulations with your new role as a pragmatist!

Thank you, I try my best! wink

Perhaps however, as a suggestion from one member to another, it would be better for us all, and especially for Kawai, if you continued your fantastic contributions without the conflict-of-interest tainted unofficial moderation?

BTW, using the quote function and then changing the content of what you have quoted is generally accepted to be a unambiguous form of deception or dishonesty. I would expect better from you. The grand old brand Kawai should also not be associated with such behavior. If you are going to quote someone, have the good character to quote them honestly.

If you think that this discussion is relevant for Kawai America, why not invite them to join in?

Because Kawai America is already corresponding with the customer directly.

Don't get me wrong - online forum discussions with consumers can be very beneficial. However, in cases such as this, where an instrument appears to have been damaged during shipping, it's best for the individual to contact the distributor to seek technical support.

Kind regards,
James
xx

That the customer is talking to Kawai America is great. However the forum member is also talking to us. Why should they be forced into isolation and deprived of information and the freedom to discuss their situation with others just because some Kawai Japan employee doesn't like it?

I agree that is best to contact the selling party and seek help. However, it is not best to contact the selling party without having as much relevant information as possible nor to be ignorant of one's legal rights and the risk of waiving those rights by allowing a seller to attempt to remedy a defect in a way which represents more risk or disadvantage to the consumer.

I think it is unbecoming to try to stifle discussion or to encourage people to seek remedies (& risk being snowed over) ignorant of relevant facts or without informing themselves properly.

In this specific case it is important information to know for the OP that

1) Kawai keyboards are quite often delivered in a defect condition;

2) The quality of in-field Kawai service can be very unsatisfactory;

3) The customer may wind up with a kludged lemon instead of the new product they paid for;

4) The consumer has the right to demand their money back or demand for the unit to be replaced with a non-defective, factory quality controlled, brand new unit as paid for.

I would think that Kawai would want to demonstrate publicly that they stand behind their products (and fix their problems to the complete satisfaction of their customers) rather than trying to sweep them under the carpet or stifle discussions on public bulletin boards. I also believe that it would be in Kawai's interest to join these discussions rather than to have the only Kawai input being trying to prevent them.

Thank you for your thoughtful post theJourney - it's good to have you back.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Thanks!

I like you James but I love Kawai!

That makes two of us. wink

James
x

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The Sky is Falling ... The Sky is Falling...

Don

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the discussion. IMO, the main issue I had is with the limited communication from Kawai US support. It appears the individual is swamped, and does not have sufficient time to handle the load (e-mails bounced with mailbox full once). I left VMs as well, and it usually takes a weeks to get an answer.

BTW: Here's the video I sent to Kawai to demonstrate the problem
https://picasaweb.google.com/pschma...v1sRgCP-Ag4GBu9Pb1gE&feat=directlink

Peter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission