Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2036158 - 02/19/13 11:39 PM MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13)
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Toronto, Ontario
Is anyone from this board planning to attend the big Music Teachers National Association convention and trade show in a couple of weeks? Fifteen hundred studio piano teachers under one hotel roof in Disneyland. The mind reels.

I'll be there.

(ad) My Music Staff
Check out the new way to manage your music studio
#2036267 - 02/20/13 08:11 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Yes, Peter, I'll be there. I'm not at all happy with the venue - there are other hotels with better facilities and lower prices. I cannot imagine what MTNA planners were thinking.

#2036321 - 02/20/13 09:57 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

It's a goofy venue, John. [Ouch - ed.]

Hope to meet you, and any other PW folk!

Peter

#2036620 - 02/20/13 08:54 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Peter K. Mose
It's a goofy venue, John.

Ha Ha!

Sorry to say I won't be there. I hope you post about it.

#2036685 - 02/21/13 12:24 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
I will likely be there on the weekend.

#2036692 - 02/21/13 12:41 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Europe
wish I was there...

Ok, here's me asking a favor:

If you think that me (as a composer, a teacher and a publisher) would have anything to do with such a convention, would you be so kind to notify me well in advance, in order to see if I can actually arrange being there?

#2036714 - 02/21/13 01:59 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nikolas, I actually find the trade show the best part of the MTNA convention. Many publishers showcase their most recent offerings, and many piano teachers load up on music to bring home to Nebraska. It's not only the big guns in piano publishing who are represented: every year there are a couple of booths rented by small publishers or single compsers. They often complain about the cost, but they show up just the same.

Click on mtna.org and start considering your finances towards next year. I believe it will be in Chicago, and it's always held in March or April.

#2036716 - 02/21/13 02:01 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Minnie, if you want to blow your cover, we could certainly get together for a coffee. I'm skipping the Pedagogy Saturday, but I'm there all day Sunday (and after).

Edited by Peter K. Mose (02/21/13 02:02 AM)

#2036784 - 02/21/13 06:43 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Peter,

Many thanks for this... I'll check the website and see how it can work. If I can't make it, perhaps a representative from the States could potentially be there...

I'll see!

EDIT: If I was in the States I'd be sure to join in... I don't think that 800$ for the booth (plus peripherals) is too much... But then again there would be other expenses involved, and with me coming from Greece it's something to consider (plus the hotel fees, etc)... hmmm...

I'd love to join, I really would. Perhaps there's a way. I'll see...

Edited by Nikolas (02/21/13 07:19 AM)

#2036866 - 02/21/13 10:29 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
I would love to go, as I'm only 2 hours away, but Saturday is our CM day and I'll probably be too exhausted to venture out on Sunday just for the day.

Is the MTNA convention as big as MTAC's? (I might have asked this before....)

#2036893 - 02/21/13 11:17 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Overexposed Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Minnie, if you want to blow your cover, we could certainly get together for a coffee. I'm skipping the Pedagogy Saturday, but I'm there all day Sunday (and after).

Peter, please PM me if you find out that Minniemay is really a 250 pound man...or some other startling fact. Ha ha.

#2036914 - 02/21/13 11:38 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Dumdiddle, there are usually somewhere around 1500-2000 people at an MTNA convention, between attendees and exhibitors. For a fair devoted to studio music teaching (not the classroom), that's pretty big. Not a sea of humanity exactly, but big enough that there are multiple activities scheduled at one time.

Ann: OK, you'll be the first to learn Minnie's secret.

#2036922 - 02/21/13 11:44 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Nikolas]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas
I don't think that 800$ for the booth (plus peripherals) is too much... But then again there would be other expenses involved, and with me coming from Greece it's something to consider (plus the hotel fees, etc)... hmmm...

I'd love to join, I really would. Perhaps there's a way. I'll see...

Nikolas, if it would help tip the balance, I'll buy you a club sandwich at next year's MTNA convention. That would save you the cost of one meal. But I won't do it for a US representative: we want you!

#2036971 - 02/21/13 01:25 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Overexposed]
Minniemay Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Ann in Kentucky

Peter, please PM me if you find out that Minniemay is really a 250 pound man...or some other startling fact. Ha ha.

Hahaha! I've actually lost 25 pounds via WeightWatchers this year and am a bit more svelte.

#2036977 - 02/21/13 01:37 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

So...

What's the biggest gathering for musicians/performers/teachers/alike then in the US? If I understand it correctly MTNA is National while MTAC is California "only" in which case it should be smaller, no?

Peter: many thanks. As I said I'd love to join, and if I can find a way to get to Chicago for cheaps, I'd may as well do it!

#2036984 - 02/21/13 01:50 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Well, the MTAC Convention is a monster of an event. It's not just teachers and presenters...parents and their kids have recitals, competitions, and master classes. There are always 2 or 3 events going on at the same time, and it's impossible to attend all of them.

#2037011 - 02/21/13 02:47 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Nikolas and others: the National Conference on Keyboard Pedagogy is the other biggie national US conference/convention, specifically on piano teaching. It takes place every other year, near Chicago. I'm guessing it might be half the size of the MTNA affair, but it also has a trade show and publishers' showcasing component. I'm not sure how the cost would compare for an exhibitor, but you would meet some key people in the teaching trade.

http://www.keyboardpedagogy.org/nckp-2013

We in Canada have our own biannual convention of studio music teachers (mostly piano), and this summer we're in Halifax:
www.cfmta2013halifax.ca

This would be a smaller affair than Yankees put on - maybe 200-300 people will attend - but it's friendly, and easy to meet people.

Edited by Peter K. Mose (02/21/13 02:49 PM)

#2037017 - 02/21/13 02:57 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Nikolas Offline
5000 Post Club Member

I know that this is turning rather off topic, but I'm quite interested in these... Plus I got to learn all these new acronyms, which meant nothing to me. I now know that MTNA and MTAC mean grin

It's impossible to attend all, unless they are very close together and I could travel once in the USA and stay there for a month or so... But it doesn't seem this way...

The MTNA booth is 800$
The MTAC booth is 500$. But there are some sketchy details about tables and stuff.
The Keyboard pedagogy thingy (Clavier companion is behind this?) is 850$...

Presentation in MTNA is 800$ for 60 minutes, and 400$ in MTAC for 50 minutes, and 750$ for the Keyboard pedagogy so...

Now, what's interesting is that I'm too late, but the Canada thing, and the keyboard pedagogy thing seem to be close together. Plus I will probably be in Dallas, TX, for a festival and my own works performed around the mid of July, so this could work. but alas I'm too late for all of this now... I need to plan ahead for 2014 now!

#2037021 - 02/21/13 03:08 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
ezpiano.org Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Irvine, CA
Nikolas!
I am happy to hear that you are planning ahead!
Please check this link

If you submit this proposal and get accepted, then you do not need to pay 400$ for 50 minutes in MTAC convention.
@ http://bit.ly/Ready123

#2037037 - 02/21/13 03:58 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Nikolas]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Nikolas

The Keyboard pedagogy thingy (Clavier companion is behind this?) is 850$...

The "Keyboard pedagogy thingy" has a familial connection to Clavier Companion magazine: both are run by a non-profit enterprise saluting Frances Clark, one of the early big guns in the US pedagogy game (Music Tree was her method book).

But most people in the US pedagogy game are the same cast of characteers, and it would be rather the same crowd of attendees as MTNA. Just smaller.

Check out the Texas convention. Maybe it's at the right time for you!

#2037136 - 02/21/13 06:13 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: AZNpiano]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano
Well, the MTAC Convention is a monster of an event. It's not just teachers and presenters...parents and their kids have recitals, competitions, and master classes. There are always 2 or 3 events going on at the same time, and it's impossible to attend all of them.

If the current Commercial Studio...thread is a representative sample of MTAC members, 'monster' would indeed be a most apt description. *shudder*

#2037142 - 02/21/13 06:26 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: malkin]
AZNpiano Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Orange County, CA
Originally Posted By: malkin
Originally Posted By: AZNpiano

If the current Commercial Studio...thread is a representative sample of MTAC members, 'monster' would indeed be a most apt description. *shudder*

Where's the guise of civility when you need it?

#2037955 - 02/23/13 12:32 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Amy B Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I will be there, and am attending a music teacher's convention for the first time! As a former pharmacist, it will be interesting to see the similarities/differences from pharmacy conventions. I suppose the music conventions don't have free drugs :-)

#2038027 - 02/23/13 02:45 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Amy, you'll find that the MTNA freebies are not in your former league. Pencils, fridge magnets, and note pads are about the extent of what you'll find at this trade show. But if you go to the publisher showcases, you'll get some free piano music. And lots of half-price offers.

Please greet me with the PW secret handshake if you see me!

#2038165 - 02/23/13 09:06 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Amy B]
John v.d.Brook Online   content
7000 Post Club Member

Loc: Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted By: Amy B
I will be there, and am attending a music teacher's convention for the first time! As a former pharmacist, it will be interesting to see the similarities/differences from pharmacy conventions. I suppose the music conventions don't have free drugs :-)

Speaking of drugs, I'm wondering if the hotel, being on Disney property, has a bar. I'm remembering a previous conference where another PW teacher & I were able to get together for a couple of cocktails. The only trouble with getting old is I can't remember whether it was Dallas or Phoenix. The wife & I are actually staying at a nearby place, as the rates were about half of the Disney hotel, and probably just as nice. And we'll be able to get in a short, but brisk, walk a couple times a day.

#2038187 - 02/23/13 10:13 PM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
malkin Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: *sigh* Salt Lake City
There are bars on the property, but not in the hotel.
You can hit the Tiki Room in the Disney complex or any number of other places.

In the California Adventure side of the park, I believe you can get beer, margaritas, and wine.

#2038263 - 02/24/13 02:36 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
John and "The wife" (what a deliciously antiquated term) ... having to live "down-town" due to percuniary shortfall ... obviously "can't spare a dime".

AT these musical conventions you can usually find me in the bar ... make mine a double!

#2043839 - 03/06/13 09:12 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Jennifer Eklund Offline

Loc: SoCal
I am one of the "small" publishers who forked out the money to exhibit at MTNA this year. I have a special coupon in the coupon book if you are attending the conference and will also be offering special "event pricing" on all of my publications. Will be glad to meet anyone who stops by the Piano Pronto booth =)

ETA: I will also be at MTAC in NorCal later this year...

~Jennifer

Edited by Jennifer Eklund (03/06/13 09:15 AM)

Piano Pronto Music Books: www.pianopronto.com

BA in Piano/MA Musicology

#2043841 - 03/06/13 09:31 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Peter K. Mose]
Peter K. Mose Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Sounds great, Jennifer. Look forward to meeting you: I always like to support the indy people in our industry.

#2043892 - 03/06/13 11:43 AM Re: MTNA Convention in Anaheim, California (March 9-13) [Re: Jennifer Eklund]
dumdumdiddle Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jennifer Eklund
I am one of the "small" publishers who forked out the money to exhibit at MTNA this year. I have a special coupon in the coupon book if you are attending the conference and will also be offering special "event pricing" on all of my publications. Will be glad to meet anyone who stops by the Piano Pronto booth =)

ETA: I will also be at MTAC in NorCal later this year...

~Jennifer

Oohh... I will be at that convention in June. What publications are you promoting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ken Knapp 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
When interpretation varies greatly?
by 3times2
23 minutes 14 seconds ago
Official: Fryderyk Chopin died of TB!
by bennevis
Today at 12:06 PM
Teacher wants me to play a "loud" piece too. (suggestions?)
by Tides
Today at 11:47 AM
Playing for ~9 months.. Where to go next?
by alexbergauer
Today at 11:39 AM
Aluminum plating on Steinways?
by chasingrainbows
Today at 11:32 AM
Who's Online
151 registered (Abby Pianoman, 3times2, accordeur, AEMontoya, 36251, 36 invisible), 1377 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76231 Members
42 Forums
157580 Topics
2314659 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission