2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
20 Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon, Bart Howard
A nice mellow take on an old favorite. Great job, Serge.

21 Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living
Interesting piece and well played, Teodor. I haven't seen the movie, so I am not familiar with it, but I find it quite enchanting.

22 (Was)TrueBeginner - Us
A beautiful composition. Great job, WTB.

23 MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam, Akos
This is another piece I haven't heard before. It has an interesting lyrical quality which your performance captures nicely. Great job.

24 Mr Pozor - Un poco adagio, Clementi
First piece in a while that I know. You do a nice job with it, Mr Pozor particularly in light of your limited experience at the keyboard. you've made tremendous progress thus far.

25 Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya
Impressive, Russ! Your arrangements are lush and full. You make the runs seem effortless. A pair of very professional sounding pieces.

26 Sand Tiger Shadow
Your composition is pretty, and your playing is getting better all the time. Nice work.

27 PhilzPiano - Prelude no. 1 in C major, Bach
Nice job, Phil. This little prelude is beautiful, and your performance lets the melody shine through.

28 Daren - Quanta Qualia, Patrick Hawes
Beautiful, Daren. This is another piece I don't know. I really enjoyed your performance.

29 timmyab - Allemande from French Suite no 4, Bach
I like both versions. Perhaps the faster one is a bit more authentic for Bach, but the slower version is pretty in its own way. Great playing on both versions, Timmy.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Riddler
Originally Posted by Peyton

Ed- Your comments really cracked me up. I answered you earlier but I'll say it again... If you ever do transcribe some of my runs by all means please let me know what you come up for fingerings.

Peyton,

Actually, I saw your previous comment. Sorry, I did not mean to ignore you, it's just that I interpreted it as a joke! grin

BTW, I don't write these runs down on paper, I record them in midi, and sometimes capture the fingering in text that displays in the lyrics window when I play it back on the Vanbasco player.

Anyway, here is what I captured.

Two handed ascending run an interval of a third apart:

• Both hands follow the standard Eb (Hanon) fingering.

One handed Eb descending run in thirds, starting with C and Eb:

• Top note finger - 3 5 4 3 2 4 3 2 5 4 3 2 4

Bottom note finger - 1 3 2 1 1 2 1 1 3 2 1 1 2

Wierd, huh?

One handed Eb run with scale notes 3 4 2 3 1 2 7 1 etc (where 3 = G, 4 = Ab, etc).

• RH fingers 4 5 3 4 2 3 1 5 3 4 2 3 1 2 1 5; in other words, I switch to 5 on Ab and Eb.

BTW, methinks I am not a good person to ask about fingering; I tend to start ascending arpeggios and runs with fingering 2 1 (index then thumb), and I often cross 1 over 5 going up, 5 over 1 going down. Us old guys have our habits and there is nothing you can do to change us! smile

Ed

Ed, I was kind of kidding... but that is very impressive. Wish I could do that midi thing with my grand. Alas.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
Ed, I was kind of kidding... but that is very impressive. Wish I could do that midi thing with my grand. Alas.

If you have the financial means, it is possible to add MIDI to an acoustic grand (or an acoustic anything else): http://www.midi9.com/

"...when you do practice properly, it seems to take no time at all. Just do it right five times or so, and then stop." -- JimF

Working on: my aversion to practicing in front of my wife

1978 Vose & Sons spinet "Rufus"
1914 Huntington upright "Mabel"

[Linked Image]XXIX-XXXII
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
38. FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2 - Gosh, I don't know what to say. Even ill, you're awesome. You bring a passion to this instrument that is very admirable. It's great to have experienced pianists around here in the ABF - to not only show us what is considered the "Farm Team" (ahem), but to lead us less experienced players toward our goals.

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano) - Nicely done! In 10 years, I might be ready for something extravagant like this.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12 - Wow, that's insane! I might offer some instruction here, but that would be silly and only drag you back a year or two. Amazing that you can play this!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
46. Kenjazz - My Romance
Another fine arrangement, excellent intro to this and you pace this perfectly. Hardest things to do when playing jazz (IMO) are to play fast - technique and speed of thought required - and play slow where there is a temptation to rush and fill in all that space , you also need to create new melodies rather than just run the changes. So on that basis this is a fine fine performance Ken, a keeper, I really enjoyed it, congratulations. I am going to dust off my iReal app and have a go at some standards myself, you've inspired me.

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12
3 years ? Simply amazing.

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind
As always I enjoyed your piano style and arrangement , perfect fit to your vocal. I always have to have a play and sing myself after listening. Thanks for your performance.

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are
I sometimes play this one and it’s not the easiest song to play, very well done indeed after just 11 months.

Jazztpt

A

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 04 2013
500 Post Club Member
A
I have time for a few more listens… I promise I will get through them all soon.

34. beechcraft409 - Ombre Congrats on your first Einaudi piece.. I think it sounded great, and you emoted well. You should definitely follow up with more of his pieces!

35. Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4 ooooh look who’s showing off on his new digital! First of all, congrats again on that. It’s got a great tone. I can see why you went for it! Anyway. The piece sounds great. Those trills are awesome! I’m not familiar with the piece, so I didn’t know where any of your hesitations are. It just sounds like a really thoughtful piece. If those where due to the hesitations, then you should just say they are editorial!

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Album Leaf Debussy can be beastly. I don’t know the piece, but it sure sounded like Debussy to me. That’s half the battle right there. Sounds good to me!

37. Ken. - Let's Cool One That sounds like so much fun to play! Well done!

38. FarmGirl – Brahms 118 #2 I know I already commented on this piece but it came up next on the stream and it’s sooooo purty… waaah I wanna play that!

39. Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley. I love the trilly parts especially! You nailed ‘em. I felt like I was out somewhere listening to great piano music when I listened to this performance. Awesome. And self-taught to boot! I have a Roland FP-7 and it never sounded that good.

40. Jazzwee - Stella by Starlight Wow. This easily rivals anything I’ve ever heard while out and about here in New Orleans. Are we on Frenchman right now? ‘Nuff said.

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F Great job, especially finishing it off in a bar. Red dot and in public! I really enjoyed that Menuett!

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11 Gorgeous and crystal clear.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo' I’ve always liked this but never knew where it came from. Well done, and your emoting in this one is fantastic.

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18 You get a gold star and so do I!  His pieces can be so frustrating to play, but the outcome is worth it. As you’ve proved. And this is a straight take? Very impressive.

45. Copper - Greensleeves Great work! That one leaves no room for flubs and you nailed it!

46. Kenjazz - My Romance Oh, Kenjazz, I do hope you get to play with more than a band in a box. I think you would do well with a real one! Great arrangement! You’re very talented.

I will finish the rest soon!

P
P
01 Mr Super-Hunky - Beautiful composition and great playing underlining character of the piece, beautiful. Have you any webspace where your works are available? If not, have you been thinking about soundcloud profile? Btw. cool avatar :-)

02 Inlanding - Glen - I have never heard anything from Jules Massenet before. Thanks for this introduction, I have enjoyed your gentle play.

03 dannylux / Mel - What a surprise for me that Czerny wrote something else than studies :-) This piece is really lovely and also lovely played. Thank you.

04 Plowboy - I feel shred on pieces after listening your performance - Good job!

05 slpianoproject - Excelent video, sound, performance. I love this Nocturne too. Dramatic piu mosso! Looking forward to next Nocturnes.

06 CarlosCC - This is the first time I listen to Einaudi. Thanks a lot for this beautiful experience and your performance. Einaudi is on my long to-do list now too :-) Oh and what a lovely story. :-)

07 Diana (sinophilia) - I hear You are playing by heart. I have enjoyed your performance a lot, thanks!

08 wouter79 - Very nice and clean play. Maybe you will never be happy with this piece because I see its nickname - Lost Happiness :-)
Here is what Maurice Hinson wrote about this piece:
"Lost Happiness - This plaintive and yearning melody is beautifully spun throughout the piece. The syncopated accompaniment figure must be carefully controlled to support but not interrupt the melodic line. A canon between the bass and soprano voices appears at measures 61-64. The bass then becomes ostinato-like while the soprano sings final farewell. Mendelssohn carefully controls the three-level texture (melody, bass and accompaniment) from beginning to end. Study each part of the texture separately, then combine melody and bass, accompaniment and melody, and bass and accompaniment before practicing the entire piece."

09 SwissMS - Very nicely played Bach. I am becoming bored usually when listening to Bach but not at all during you performance. I am glad you are playing again. You are a fighter!

10 CASINITALY (Cheryl) - What a refreshing jazzy performace. I have enjoyed it a lot. Thanks.

11 Andy Platt - I think it definitely sounds like Bach. :-) I would by proud of myself to play Invention like you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie - I must say, I was a little surprised by your submission as featured on the recital page - while listening, I was waiting for you to bust out and go all "Glen" (TM) on this at some point! laugh I can respect your holding back and pouring your feelings into this, for what this piece needs - you brought just the right touch for this!

16. Riddler (Ed) - Reflections in D - Nicely done! - I appreciate your tweaking an original piece to fit your style and ability. I don't know this piece, but whatever you did, you made it sound great!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya - Excellent pieces - well done!

Learning to play since June 2009.
My piano diary on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/afpaSTU1096
[Linked Image] <- 10+ ABF recitals
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
PavelK~ Thanks for the kudos! So glad you liked the Massenet. His melodies are quite lyrical - a very unique composer, for sure.
BenPiano~ ha! You almost got me there. I actually thought about creating an improvised version, but the original is so beautiful, I had to go with it. Thanks for the encouragement to hold back. wink

18. ladypayne - Improv in G minor Very solid, driving repetitive bass line. I like the staccatos you used to create emphasis and drama. A very fine composition, very nicely played.

19. Jake S - Fur Elise So amazing how you well you play after one year! It's great you play this with fond memories of your Dad. It'll be interesting to hear it again after several years and it's matured under your fingers. Great work!

20. Serge88 - Fly Me To The Moon In Other Words, you played this marvelously with your virtual combo. Great left hand bass lines you added to the mix.

21. Teodor - Donnie Darko - The Artifact and the Living I really like the left hand and the pulse it gives to the music. It's a nice, melancholy melody with lots of sustain pedal. Nicely done.

22. (Was)TrueBeginner - Us The three note arpeggios in the left hand keep a nice pulse as you make your way to create a beautiful melody. I am always curious as to your motivation/inspiration for your original compositions.

23. MusicaMusique - Keresem Az Utam Very interesting music. I must be out of it, as I don't watch MTV and miss much of what is being created. At times, your electric piano reminds me of a guitar sound. I like the slow, patient way you bring out the melody as though you are carefully listening to what you are playing.

24. MrPozor - Un poco adagio Congratulations on getting a fine take on your Clementi, Un Poco Adagio. You play with very relaxed hands and wrists, especially at this point in your playing. Excellent control of the melody and accompaniment. Thank you for your music and I look forward to hearing more from you!

25. Jazztpt (Russ) - Another Song + Maya What a joy, Russ. You are making some good music these days, aren't you? Very sophisticated and soothing to the soul, for sure. I loved that ending on "Another Song". Recall you launching for the first time, Maya, at the Piano Bar. This rendition is so nicely played, so sensitively expressed. Russ, I always look forward to your music and so glad you brought us these two pieces.

[Linked Image]
A Bit of YouTube
PTG Associate Member
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I want to thank everyone for their comments. I hope to be able to respond individually in the next couple of days when I'm at my computer; it's just too awkward to do all the cutting and pasting on my iPhone in an airport!

Thank you to everyone for your dedication and bravery in sharing your music with us. I particularly adored Peyton's composition, and GrouchoMarx's Chopin Prelude. Peyton, you have inspired me to want to compose, and then I think of all the technical and music theoretical deficits I have that would stand in the way of making anything as glorious as your music. I'm thinking an extremely angular 12-tone serial self-composition would be a better cover for my lacks! Or maybe I should submit John Cage's 4:33 for the next recital wink .

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
P
P
12 Amaruk - Wow, your arrangement by ear is very impressive. Nice positive piece without any enforcement. And you played it like a pro. Aren't you a pro? :-)

13 Peyton - This was blast! (I am not sure whether it is a correct word :-) What a nice musical poetry in action wrapping. I have enjoyed it enormously. Thanks.

14 joangolfing - You have created great mood with you playing. I feel a little avant-garde - I would change to a fancy dress and start dancing :-) Thank you.

15 Greener / Jeff Green - I have enjoyed great musicaux moments during your play. No problem with squeaky pedal - your fellow accompanist :-)

16 Riddler (Ed) - Very interesting piece/arrangement played with bravura.

17 Monica K. - Beautiful piece beautifully played. It touched my soul.

18 ladypayne - Cool improv 8-)

19 Jake S - Pretty impressive to tame Elise like you did only after one year of experience. :-) Congratulation for this milestone.

20 Serge88 - Ahh, feel like dancing in Las Vegas with my fatal love ... Beautiful.

21 Teodor - Low quality of the recording (via phone) created wonderful frame for this dramatic piece. Nice play.

22 (Was)TrueBeginner - At first let me point out that you have a great nickname and true lovely avatar :-) Next I would like to point out that you have composed beautiful piece and executed it with bravura.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

41. Saranoya - Menuett in F: Congratulations on your first recital entry! This minuet is so jaunty and lively, and I would not have believed it was recorded in a pub. Actually, I can’t think of many better places for battling the Red Dot than a pub... laugh

42. windywindy - Waltz in A Minor KK IVb/11: If this is the easiest Chopin piece to play, I won’t be playing Chopin in this lifetime. I loved how you made those trills and ornamentations sound so delicate.

43. lyricmudra - Melodie from the Opera 'Orfeo': I wasn’t familiar with this piece, but I really enjoyed its dark mood. And the picture quality of your video was terrific. The audio level seemed too low; have you tried using the “hi” or “auto” gain setting on your H4?

44. Sam S - Arabeske Op. 18: It’s the hallmark of a skilled pianist if you can make the music sound easier than it looks. When I saw the sheet music on your YouTube video I went pale. eek I can only begin to imagine what it took to master all 10:31 of this. Very beautifully played.

45. Copper - Greensleeves: This is one of my all time favorite melodies, and you do a great job of capturing its wistful plaintiveness. I just wish you had made it longer. smile

46. Kenjazz - My Romance: Oh, this song mellowed me out completely. I love the slow pace. Hubby’s at work while I’m listening to this, otherwise I’d make him dance with me.

47. PianoStudent88 - No Walk Today: This one also has a plaintive air, almost sad and mysterious. I’m beginning to think Khachaturian didn’t have a very happy childhood!

48. carlos88 - Sarabande (from Pour le Piano): Congratulations on your first recital entry! I could hear that “idle king” when you were playing all those deep bass notes. Sounds like it was quite a bit of fun to play. smile

49. GrouchoMarx - Prelude Op. 32 No. 12: You may win the “technically most challenging” piece for the recital... wow Very impressive playing!

50. BillM - Georgia On My Mind: Great job on a timeless standard. I’m ready to buy an album of all your covers.

51. Pavel.K - Nocturne 21 in C minor posth: Congratulations on your first recital entry! Your Nocturne was beautiful; you’re setting a high standard for yourself to beat in subsequent recitals. I need to add that I think your Ivory II piano sound is amazing. thumb

52. Allard - To Zanarkand: Nice job on a beautiful piece. I’m also pleasantly surprised at how well the iPad records.

53. MileHi Steve - Stagg Brew: I really like how you arranged this medley–the pieces flow well together. Very professional sounding!

54. aTallGuyNH - Just The Way You Are: Congratulations on your first recital entry! I prefer this as a piano solo (Joel’s lyrics always annoyed me a bit), and your arrangement is very pleasing. The volume was rather low, however, and I’m surprised you had trouble with hiss using a digital; you may want to check out some of the resources on recording in the archives to see how it can be improved.

55. Aimee O - Sonatina in G: Congratulations on your first recital entry! Talk about sneaking in under the wire. grin You do a good job of communicating the playful spirit of this sonatina.

Congratulations to everybody who participated in this, and the earlier, recitals! Can’t wait for #30. smile And I wish to thank everybody who took the time to listen to, and comment on, my piece.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dear friends,
I've heard all the pieces several times, but I've been very busy. I'll do the comments soon.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Self-taught since Dec2009
"Don't play what's there, play what's not there."
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
30 Peterws - Regrets. I have a Few . .
You obviously put a great deal of work into this recording. Nice tune and nice playing.

31 MaryBee - Waltz in C# minor, Op.64 No.2, Chopin
Nice, MaryBee. I love the backstory you shared. This is a real dream come true performance.

32 BenPiano - All of These Things For You
Ben, I am impressed. This is a really nice song with great lyrics and a really nice melody. Well done.

33 Ganddalf - Sonata A-flat major (Hob XVI - 46) first movement, Haydn
Despite what you say, this is a very challenging piece. Your performance is delicate, lyrical, flowing, and entirely delightful.

34 beechcraft409 - Ombre, Ludovico Einaudi
You do a great job with dynamics on this, beechcraft409. It's a really pretty performance of a beautiful piece.

35 Richard (zrtf90) - Notturno Op. 54 No. 4, Grieg
A thoroughly enjoyable performance, Richard. The trills are really rather well done despite your protestation to the contrary.

36 Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White -Album Leaf, Debussy
Well done, Mike. Another enjoyable listen.

37 Ken. Let's Cool One, Thelonious Monk
Thanks for covering one of my favorite Monk tunes. Well done, Ken.

38 FarmGirl - Brahms 118 #2
I am struck not only by the beauty of your performance, but also by the lovely tone of your piano (but I've always been fond of Baldwins). A very fine performance indeed.

39 Mar_red - The Shadow of Your Smile & Misty - Medley, Johnny Mandel / Erroll Garner
This is a fun recording. I really enjoyed the variety you put into both pieces.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Finally I had the opportunity to give my first comments to this recital. I generally enjoyed the music, and am amazed by the high level. Even more impressive is the fact that many of you have been playing only for a very short time. Like many others I give my comments in batches. Here are the first 10.

01. Mr Super-Hunky - A Star Named Apple/ New Beginning Thank you for sharing this beautiful tune. You can be proud of this composition and play very well.

02. Inlanding - Glen - Elegie So nice to hear a piece of Massenet. I enjoyed your performance, and I really would consider learning this piece myself.

03. dannylux / Mel - Czerny Romance in E Op.755 Another great surprise. I have to admit that I always had a negative attitude to Czerny, but this was based on things I heard from others, and your performance really convinced me that Czerny’s music deserves more attention than it gets. I can hear that the piece is quite tricky, but you do it very well.

04. Plowboy - Prelude in E Minor Op. 28, No. 4 As you indicate yourself, there is potential for improvement, but you have already done a lot of good work with this Prelude. It is much more difficult than it sounds.

05. slpianoproject - Nocturne in C# minor Op.27 no.1 I spent some time on this Nocturne myself, but gave up because I was never satisfied with my performance. I’m highly impressed by your playing, not only how you manage the difficult climax, but also the rest of the piece that requires great musicality. You really understand Chopin.

06. CarlosCC - Julia You definitely put a lot of emotion into your playing, and I enjoyed very much listening to your performance.

07. Diana (sinophilia) - Frankie & Johnnie + Space Shuttle Blues A simple, but very entertaining piece. Despite the fact that I’m a die-hard classical player I enjoyed listening to it.

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Good job with the Mendelssohn piece. Your performance was very transparent and clear, maybe because you played it without pedal. This is one of the SWWs I do not play myself. If I did, I would definitely use some pedal, but very carefully.

09. SwissMS - Little Prelude in D Major BWV 936 I’m a great Bach lover, but I have not heard this piece before. I liked your performance very much. Sorry to hear about your health problem. I can’t hear any effect of it on your playing, though.

10. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Sneakin' Round I’m always impressed by people being able to play Jazz music with elegance. Thank you very much for sharing this piece with us.

P
P
23 MusicaMusique - By ear? Wow - I envy your talent :-) Very nice.

24 MrPozor - Very well played. And the video is excelent!

25 Jazztpt (Russ) - I liked both compositions, thanks for sharing. And many congrats to Maya! I am sure you are a proud grandpa :-)

26 Sand Tiger - Great composing exploration. Looking forward for next.

27 PhilzPiano - Well Done! You kept speed and rhytm for the whole piece. One can get lost pretty fast here.

28 Daren - Very nice piece played sensitively. I have enjoyed it.

29 timmyab - Two different versions?? You are the king of the red dot :-D I am a romantic guy so the first version is better for my taste. But the second one is excellent too.

30 Peterws - I would say very professional composition and sound.

31 MaryBee - Beautiful waltz played with elegance. Love it. It has about 190 measures I think....impressive!

32 BenPiano - Wow, what a lovely song, you are a great poet, composer, player, singer. Iam sure this was valentine a lot of women dream of :-) And it is the first time I hear iPad 2 in a song :-))) Instant subscription of your channel!

33 Ganddalf - It has to be pretty hard work to record such long piece. I am not listening sonatas yet, but I have enjoyed your recording enormously! Thanks for opening my eyes.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sam S

Yes, I would pedal every chord change for the most part, which is every beat, disregarding the eighth rests in the bass line. I would probably try to use less than full pedal too. It moves along at a pretty fast tempo, which makes the pedal even less noticeable. I think that's totally in keeping with the style of the period. If you want to get really confused, look at measure 24. Same melody, same chords, but why does he change to quarter notes in the bass? Because it's forte instead of mf? Or does he want a different feel there? I think maybe he means for the beginning acc. to be lighter in character and quieter, then more robust at m 24.

Bottom line, I would use pedal, otherwise it will sound too dry and not the correct style for that period. But ultimately, the decision is yours...

Sam, thanks for the details! Generally I think he's looking for a different feel. For the quarter notes in the bass I guess you're talking about m. 20. Actually these quarter notes make a lot of sense to me: exactly at these places the bass notes gets too low to play the following chords with the same hand and without pedal you can only interrupt the bass line. Now if Mendelssohn was using pedal, these make no sense. So we could take these as an indication that mendelssohn WAS playing as written, without pedal.

Curious that your remark gave evidence for NOT using pedal shocked

Originally Posted by Inlanding

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Very nicely played is your Mendelssohn!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Andy Platt
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 There is a nice legato on the melody without the pedal - perhaps a sneaky bit of half pedal would have smoothed the left hand that your notes indicate you aren't sure about. I don't know, the contrast seemed well done to me. Perhaps very slightly quieter on the left, not sure myself. But overall it was a really nice performance - I really liked the phrasing, particularly where the melodic line has slight repetitions. The dynamic range was well judged and the overall feel was great.

Good to hear that phrasing and dynamics are good and that it feels all right. That gives me another vote for just trying a bit softer with the LH but not change too much otherwise.

Originally Posted by jazzwee
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Great work Wouter as always. Now you encounter the need for finger legato. Tough thing to master and this is way too fast anyway to implement easily. But you are doing a great job here. Maybe lighter on the LH. Rhythm and evenness has improved greatly. Definitely a quality performance.

Thanks jazzwee!
Ah yes the micro timing issues, I followed your suggestions a few weeks but after that I had holidays and never picked them up after that. Maybe I should re-check that. Still good to hear that it is working out.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by beechcraft40
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2

I don't have any suggestions to your questions, but I think you've done very well with it. It is impressive you are not using the pedal.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by TX-Dennis

08 wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2, Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy
Yes, I think you're too picky. To my ears the melody flows nicely throughout the piece. Another great performance.

Thanx Dennis for your feedback!

Originally Posted by Amaruk

08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2
No pedal? Amazing! A really great performance and your recording is top notch too.

Good to hear, thanks Amaruk smile

Originally Posted by Pavel.K
08 wouter79 - Very nice and clean play. Maybe you will never be happy with this piece because I see its nickname - Lost Happiness :-)
Here is what Maurice Hinson wrote about this piece:
"Lost Happiness - This plaintive and yearning melody is beautifully spun throughout the piece. The syncopated accompaniment figure must be carefully controlled to support but not interrupt the melodic line. A canon between the bass and soprano voices appears at measures 61-64. The bass then becomes ostinato-like while the soprano sings final farewell. Mendelssohn carefully controls the three-level texture (melody, bass and accompaniment) from beginning to end. Study each part of the texture separately, then combine melody and bass, accompaniment and melody, and bass and accompaniment before practicing the entire piece."

Aha, interesting, lost happiness, I didn't know, but that explains it all :p I never saw the comments of Maurice Hinson, yes he's right

Originally Posted by Ganddalf
08. wouter79 - Allegro non troppo in c minor, op.38 no.2 Good job with the Mendelssohn piece. Your performance was very transparent and clear, maybe because you played it without pedal. This is one of the SWWs I do not play myself. If I did, I would definitely use some pedal, but very carefully.

Thanks for your suggestions and feedback!

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
35. Richard (zrtf90) - Richard, first of all, your new Kawai has a magnificent sound. Then let me tell you that I loved your piece. Your technique is at the top of the best of this recital. Very, very good. My sincere congratulations.

36. Yamaha G3 & P-80, Mike White - Mike, I think this is a great rendition. I loved the sound of your Yamaha, and you did a real nice job in this Debussy piece. Very "clear" and well played. Congrats!

37. Ken. - Ken, I did not know this piece and I was expecting something more "obscure"... And I did not feel the music "obscure." I even think it should be fun to play. Nice job.

38. FarmGirl - I do not drink alcohol, but if I need to drink whiskey and wine to play like you, I'll get drunk all night. Very pleasing to hear. Very good!

39. Mar_red - Quote: "As a completely self-taught aspiring pianist I like to treat every piece as an exercise". I know exactly what you want to mean. I'm in the self-taught side too, and I use to select pieces that I know will "give" me some new technic.
I understand why you fell in love with "The Shadow of Your Smile". It's a lovely, calm, and happy melody. "Misty" is diferent, but also very pleasent. You're a great piannist. Good job!

40. Jazzwee - I love the way you play jazz. All the different notes combined together in a perfect shape. So cool!

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thank you for your comments on my piece.
It has been a pleasure listening to this recital.

41. Saranoya - Nice to know that you play this at a bar - very funny - and I was expecting to hear some applause at the end of your interpretation. So, one of two things may happen: either you cut the applause in MP3, or the bartender and the other client were deaf. I loved your work. Nice job!

42. windywindy - You should keep this piece for many and many years, it's a realy beautifull Waltz. You are in the right way. Congratulations.

43. lyricmudra - I loved to watch your playing. It's so "natural" that it seems "easy"... Your hands slide down the piano in a wonderful way (it's an example to follow). The result is a piece played very well. For me, it has a professional sound. Congratulations.

44. Sam S - Sam, It is with great pleasure that I accept the medal. But it was not necessary because I would hear this piece without any offer. You were very brave in playing it, and I imagine the work and dedication which are necessary for doing this excellent work. Very good. Sam.

45. Copper - Copper, this is a well known traditional English folk song and I was waitting to listen it because I also submited an +500 years old piece for the last ABF Recital. Music is eternal, right? Good job!

> More comments tomorow.

[Linked Image]
SoundCloud | Youtube
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission