Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Gifts and supplies for the musician
SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
Ad (Piano Sing)
How to Make Your Piano Sing
Who's Online
86 registered (Anita Potter, ando, anamnesis, accordeur, Almaviva, 26 invisible), 1397 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Pianos
Topic Options
#2034697 - 02/17/13 10:58 AM RX-2: New or Second-Hand?
PianistInJapan Offline

Loc: Japan
I consider buying an RX-2 grand piano, and the Kawai shop has given me the following offer (prices in US$ calculated from exchange rate of 92.75 Yen to $1):

- New: $ 17,035
- Second hand: $ 10,760

The second hand RX-2 is 5 to 6 years old, has serial number xxxxxxx, and it has an indication G right below the RX-2. The new RX-2 has been in the shop for a couple of months and, though there is no indication letter, the dealer says it is an H-type. Both grands have a carbon action. Here in Japan only the Ultra-Responsive Action II is available. The Millennium Action III is unknown to the dealers here, though it appears to be similar according to this thread:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/108912/Kawai

The second-hand has a heavier touch than the new RX-2, but the dealer told me it can be made somewhat lighter. I did not experience difficulties playing fast passages on either one.

The big difference was the volume: the second-hand was much louder than the new one. According to the dealer, this is caused by the hammer felt having become hardened by playing and the strings having settled.

The second-hand has been in a Kawai-school all these years, well taken care off, and not played heavily. Typically in Japan such schools are frequented by kids starting from beginners level. This school did not have too many students, I have been told.

I checked the action of the second-hand and it looked very good. There were imprints in the felt (not too deep), but Kawai's on-site piano technician told me it had never been filed off and softened. A rough comparison by eye of the amount of felt on the hammers of the new and the second-hand appeared to confirm that both are similar.

I did manage to play the PPP passages in Rachmaninov's Prelude Op. 3 No. 2 at a satisfactory soft level on the second-hand RX-2, but felt that it would be harder to play this soft in faster passages. It felt like having less control over volume as compared to the new RX-2. I am not sure whether this was because of the louder volume in the second-hand to begin with. Or maybe it is just my lack of technique...

I liked the second-hand's bass and tenor tones, but found its treble a bit harsh and ringing. This depended, though, on the volume: when playing soft, the treble sounded much better. My touch is a bit strong, due to having learned playing on a heavy-touch August-Foerster vertical in my young years, and now that I am much older, having played on a Kawai digital in the last decade has not changed that apparently. The volume control in the digital is an enemy here, since it is usually set well below the volume of an acoustic.

My questions are as follows:

- Is it normal that the volume of a Grand increases that much after it has been played for a couple of years? Are my worries about volume caused by too much exposure to the sound of my digital?

- Should I worry about the treble? I found it pretty harsh even when playing normal volume. When I stood at the piano with my kids playing I had less trouble with the treble. Maybe their touch is softer, and I should improve my touch. Or maybe from the pianist's position the treble sounds different? The dealer offered to soften the treble, but warned that over the years it would return to the current sound.

- Should I ask the dealer to make the action of the second-hand lighter? What can I expect?

Any advice or comments welcome.

---------------------------------
Some background: Both RX-2's were tuned yesterday.
I also played other Grands (RX-3, SK-2, SK-3, GX-1; all new) in the showroom, and found them all lighter in touch and sounding mellower than the second-hand RX-2. The tone of the SK-3 was beautiful, but I cannot afford that. I did not like the sound of the GX-1, which lacked fullness.
I also played on some Yamaha Grands in other shops (new and second hand), but have yet to become a fan of their touch and sound. I guess it is all personal.

Edited by PianistInJapan (03/09/13 09:34 AM)
Edit Reason: Removed serial number

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2034739 - 02/17/13 12:29 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Robert 45 Online   content
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Auckland New Zealand
Dear Pianist in Japan,
Welcome to Piano World! You have given a full, helpful account of your experience with the used Kawai RX2 piano and the new Kawai RX2H.
The new RX2H would have some refinements in relation to the hammers and action, but it is basically the same piano design and quality as the RX2.

Yes, all new pianos will have an increase in their volume of sound and even the range of tonal colours as the hammers harden, and the strings settle. This may take a few years and if a piano is very heavily played, the tone may eventually become too bright and harsh.

Voicing will certainly soften the tone and good regulation will help to improve action irregularities.

However, I believe that you should be cautious as you should not choose a piano thinking that those aspects which disappoint you can be completely eradicated. Much depends on the skill and experience of the technician and both good voicing and regulation require a high level of expertise.

Personally, I would choose the new RX2H in preference to the used RX2 which has been in a music school for 5-6 years.

Good luck with your choice!

Robert.

#2034748 - 02/17/13 12:43 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
If you can afford to go with the new one, do that. You obviously like the sound better, and you won't have the guessing game of "if I can get a good tech to look at it maybe this will change."

However, I do wonder if the used RX2 could be helped with regulation and voicing, why hasn't the dealer done the work needed to make the piano more sellable? Perhaps it's because such a thing is done to the personal preference of the pianist.

Of course, if you get a second opinion from a piano tech not linked with the dealer you'll have a better idea of what you'll get with the used one.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2034752 - 02/17/13 12:54 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Jersey Shore
It seems as neither has overly impressed you. I would keep looking...

#2034766 - 02/17/13 01:23 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
1000 Post Club Member

It is obviously in the dealer's interest to present showroom pianos to their advantage in appealing to general piano tastes. Extremes of brightness of sound, lightness or heaviness of action should be modified as far as possible.

Dealers are in business and it would be folly to prepare an instrument to a prospective customer's preferences prior to purchase. Dealers usually tell customers that such adjustments are best done in piano's new home. That is entirely reasonable.

My advice to the OP is not to buy a piano with which you have reservations in the hope that these issues can be put right by a tuner-technician. Most of what you hear and feel when playing a piano is inherent to that particular instrument and that includes what you do not like about it.

Kind regards,

Robert.

#2034779 - 02/17/13 01:47 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

I have an 2005 RX-2 (2530099), which I had bought new. It has the carbon fiber action.

Yes, the sound, especially the treble, gets brighter with use.
I haven't yet voiced it down. But I don't think it will last too long even after being voiced down.

So, as others have said, if you can afford, go with the new RX-2, since you have somewhat liked the tone more.

The action is very good and consistent. It didn't need any serious regulation work for the past 7 years.

Though I have some minor problems stabilizing a few notes at the mid treble section. The unisons of a few certain notes go out of tune and I have to correct them from time to time.

Actually you can hear the piano at my YouTube site.

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/user/hakkithepianist

#2034819 - 02/17/13 03:19 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: Hakki]
1000 Post Club Member

Hakki is a very fine pianist and if you want to hear a Kawai RX2 beautifully played then I suggest that you visit his youtube recordings. Even with the limitations of youtube sound, it is most impressive.

Kind regards,

Robert.

#2034829 - 02/17/13 03:43 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
One mention of the expression "music school practice piano" would be enough for me to look elsewhere. A piano of the same model and age, if owned privately, is likely to have been treated better, and not to have been pounded to death by uncaring students.

Besides, you don't like the treble tone and the action--- that's enough right there.

I have an RX, and I think it's a wonderful piano. I would suggest that you get the new instrument. Under the hands of a good piano technician, its potential can be brought out.

However, if you're serious about the music school piano (or any other used piano), have it examined for condition by a good tech before you commit yourself to the purchase. He or she will be able to tell you the extent of wear, how much improvement in the touch and tone you might expect, and how much it will cost to make that happen.

The new piano will require more maintenance in the first few years, as it matures in pitch stability and is adjusted to your touch and your music room. But, that's pianos for you. It is not very expensive, and I think you will get a more satisfactory result. Besides, you will have the full warranty for a longer period of time if you get the new RX. (It's unlikely that you will need warranty service, but it's worth money if you do, and its value is worth considering.)

Edited by Jeff Clef (02/17/13 03:45 PM)

#2034853 - 02/17/13 04:29 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
jawhitti Offline

Is the new RX-2 a Blak? Sounds like no? I have no idea what the Japanese market is like but in the US i believe any remaining non-blaks are selling at pretty big discounts. Perhaps the price is more negotiable than you think?

#2034871 - 02/17/13 05:30 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
kpembrook Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Michigan
Your description of the used piano is within the range of what one would expect as normal from a technical standpoint.

You describe nothing that isn't well within the range of a competent technician to deal with to your satisfaction.

Premium hammers instead of production hammers always make an improvement.

I know in many asian countries there is a bias against "used" items rather than new which is not experienced elsewhere in the world.

If you check out the Piano Technicians Guild website, there are some technicians in Japan. www.ptg.org

#2035053 - 02/18/13 12:03 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: Mark...]
personne Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark...
It seems as neither has overly impressed you. I would keep looking...

To OP. I would agree here. Did you look for other pianos, or only RX-2?
Within the same price range, there could be more pleasing instruments with the touch and tone that match you better.
At least, even if you do not find anything better, you would know you settle for the best smile

#2035194 - 02/18/13 10:21 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

Dear all,

Thanks for your many replies. smile

I surely got some reflection out of it!

My worry is that I would reject a perfectly acceptable piano at a reasonable price due to my mind being biased by my current digital Kawai. So, I decided to give it more time, and play the second-hand RX-2 a few more times to see if I can get used to it. If that does not happen, I better move on. There are many grands available, so I should eventually be able to find an agreeable one. The new RX-2 is above the budget I had initially in mind, so I will probably skip that one.

Here are more specific replies:

Robert: Thanks for your warm welcome and advice!

Morodiene: The dealer actually did have both RX-2's tuned especially for me. He also offered to soften the felt on the treble side, but I asked him to refrain from that since eventually the sound will revert to the current one. In many showrooms in Japan, pianos are often not well-tuned and prepped, so I am satisfied with the service he is willing to offer.

Hakki: You are a wonderful pianist! I like the sound of your RX-2 on the Youtube recordings. BTW, what type of microphone setup did you use?

Jeff Clef: Warranty on new pianos in Japan is only 1 year. However, if there are major problems after that period, the dealer will take care of it (this dealer is part of the Kawai company). I guess Japan is less of a contract-society than the US. (I still prefer the US in this aspect)

jawhitti: The new RX-2 is a BLAK.

kpembrook: Your opinion gives me hope that the second-hand RX-2 is potentially still within the range of my expectations.
Regarding second-hand items in Japan, there used to be a bias against it, though that is rapidly changing due to the decreasing levels of prosperity in the last decade. There is still some bias against second-hand pianos, I think. At the very least, Japanese do not like scratches on the outside, even if the piano is a fine instrument.
Thanks, BTW, for the link to the Piano Technicians Guild website. I found some technicians in Japan, but unfortunately the nearest is still a 3-hour drive from me. I became more confident, though, that services to evaluate pianos are also available in Japan, based on his web site.

#2035271 - 02/18/13 12:36 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: PianistInJapan

Hakki: ... what type of microphone setup did you use?

Two Rode NT-5 mics with omni capsules, in A-B stereo setup.

Here are the pics showing the placement:

www.box.com/s/e09971eee18b431ec9bc

www.box.com/s/0eff61617550d47e80f3

#2036326 - 02/20/13 10:16 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

I played the second-hand RX-2 for a second time, but still could not become enamored with it. The dealer will have the higher registers voiced down a bit, so that I can try it for a third time.

Reading this Kawai-manual on tuning, regulating, and voicing makes me somewhat hopeful (and increased my respect for piano techs):

http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/PDF/RX%20Voicing%20Manual.PDF

On the other hand, the problems I have are not unique:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/307031/1.html

Originally Posted By: OldFingers
The moment my new Kawai RX-3 was moved into my music room (12' X 25' X 7') there were some notes in the 5th octave that were "harsh" to the point of irritation. I received excellent customer support from Kawai, and heroic attempts were made to solve the problem, but the harshness remained. I hired an acoustical consultant who told me all the usual things, including covering my ceiling with sound absorption panels. After their installation, entering my music room was like walking into a tomb, but still the irritation persisted. Next I purchased a string blanket, and with cover closed the volume was reduced even more (as was the "liveliness" and dynamic range) but the notes continue to irritate. I've been told that the problem is due to sensitive hearing, but I'm confounded because I am not bothered at all when I play the same notes on my digital piano.

Three years have now passed and I am so frustrated that I'm thinking about installing a PNOScan and stop rail, basically using my RX-3 as a very expensive MIDI keyboard to drive a computer-based software piano (Ivory) through loudspeakers.

If I had it to do all over again, I would search for the quietest acoustic grand piano, with the most mellow treble, although I have no idea what brand of piano that would be. Quietness is not usually an attribute discussed on the Piano Forum. In fact a quiet grand piano is probably a contradiction in terms.

Sammy1, I realize I am probably not helping you here, but, perhaps preparing you for the fact that your ears, piano and music room are not a good match.

Another four years later ( http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1888549 ):

Originally Posted By: OldFingers
Originally Posted By: Rotom
Originally Posted By: Rickster
There was another member here, Old Fingers, who had a "quantity" (loud) issue with his big Kawai grand.

From what i remember from OldFingers' piano saga, he had an RX3 (big or small, depending on what you are comparing it to) that had a couple of notes in the middle octabe being particularly resonant, bright and bothersome, as opposed to being plain loud.

Actually you are both right. In the beginning I thought the main problem was the loudness of my piano. After adding rugs, curtains, acoustic paneling and closing the lid on a padded string blanket, the piano was at a more comfortable level, but then the harshness of some notes in the fifth octave became more pronounced and annoying. I am happy to say, however, that after my technician finished with my piano last week, it has never sounded better. Now I'm down to one bad note at D5. She's going to replace some strings next week. Does it sometimes take years to get a piano broken in?

My room is 12'X28' with an 8' ceiling. Based on my experience I would hesitate to put anything larger than my RX-3 in my room. But then I'm not such a good player and not particularly good at playing softly, no matter how hard I try. In fact, knowing what I know now, if I were doing it all over again, I would look for a really good, small, quiet piano, if such a thing exists, maybe the 5' 1" Boesendorfer, although that would probably be out of my price range.

Clearly, I would like to avoid such an ordeal.

There was a day and night difference with the new RX-2 in the showroom. Among the other Grands there, only the SK-3 played better for my feeling.

#2036422 - 02/20/13 01:06 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

PianistInJapan,

I am not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but you are also aware that the RX series is being replaced with the GX series according to:
This post

Edited by Hakki (02/20/13 05:27 PM)

#2036579 - 02/20/13 06:22 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: Hakki]
PianistInJapan Offline

Originally Posted By: Hakki
PianistInJapan,

I am not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread, but you are also aware that the RX series is being replaced with the GX series according to:
This post

Hakki, yes I am aware of that. I played the GX-1 at the dealer and found it kind of underwhelming. GX-2 should be better, but is also way above my budget, unfortunately.

#2036750 - 02/21/13 03:35 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
musicpassion Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: California, USA
I played the second-hand RX-2 for a second time, but still could not become enamored with it. The dealer will have the higher registers voiced down a bit, so that I can try it for a third time.

Voicing can certainly change impressions... but perhaps this isn't the piano for you if you didn't like it the first two times.

I would also be hesitant to buy a piano that had been in a music school.

#2037357 - 02/22/13 06:53 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
hootowl Offline

Loc: Garnet Valley, PA
We just purchased a new RX-2 BLAK yesterday, to be delivered this morning. I was somewhat humored by the pricing structure. They had a list price tag on it of 38,000. They sell it for 50% off. Depending on where you buy it, some dealerships make a bundle.
The better shops want thousands more. I think the average street price is around $25,000. We got ours for $17,800 from a warehouse type dealership..... authorized nonetheless and received sales award from Kawai the last two years.
Reminds me of buying jewelry.
To the OP, you got a great deal but I imagine shipping is much less since it's built right there.

I was looking at used Yamahas and Kawais. After doing lot's of online research I slowly started bending towards new. I then started leaning towards the BLAK edition and found there were none in the used market on CL or Ebay that were priced reasonable for used. Actually only a few dealerships had used BLAK models but they were priced a bit on the high side. So used BLAK was not going to be an option.

I'm told the RX BLAK line is the hottest piano out there today. Lots of dealer BS maybe but in some ways could be true because I'm not seeing many out there, it may be selling quite well.

BTW, I don't play. My wife does. I did all the research for her. We were going to get the RX-1 but I read on too many occasions that the RX-2 is worth the upgrade if it fits.

I was also told there is a price increase coming with the new model this year.

#2037413 - 02/22/13 09:28 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

hootowl: Congrats with your new RX-2!

I agree with you that RX-2 is definitely a worthy upgrade over the RX-1.

Prices here in Japan are indeed lower than outside Japan. The conditions are also different. Guarantee from the factory here is only 1 year, whether it be Kawai or Yamaha. One Yamaha store told me that a string breaking is not covered by the guarantee. "But", she said, "breaking of strings is almost unheard of in the first years, and repairs cost only the equivalent of 20 to 30 dollars", to which I replied why it wasn't covered then in the first place. Fortunately, Kawai does a better job covering this.

#2037818 - 02/23/13 04:00 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

Today I went for the third time to play the second-hand RX-2. This time the treble section was voiced down a bit, and it made a big difference. Gone were the harsh tones, and gone was most of the ringing. The tenor section should still be toned down a bit, but for the first time I enjoyed playing this piano. Quite unexpected, since I went there without any hope! I even started to prefer it over the new RX-2, because its tone is quite solid and well-defined. The soundboard creates a beautiful sound.

Tomorrow I will go to talk with the Kawai's piano tech to discuss what she/he has done to improve the sound, and what is still possible, especially with the tenor.

I must say this piano was not love at first sight, but now I can see a new affair emerging...

#2038363 - 02/24/13 10:16 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

I went to the shop to talk with the Kawai piano tech. He voiced down a single note of the second-hand RX-2 by softening the felt, and I could clearly hear that the tone had become softer.

He also tried to reduce the ringing sound in the tenor and treble section. This turned out to be more difficult. I continued hearing it, especially when playing anything stronger than mf and using the damper pedal, for example the third movement of Beethoven's Tempest. Even when playing with the una corda pedal I heard ringing. I suspect it is some feedback from the soundboard to the metal frame and some interactions between the frame and the strings. The shop manager said he heard it too, so it was not something in my imagination.

It seems that this piano is especially susceptible to this effect, and I finally concluded I could not live with it, so I decided not to buy it.

The instrument's sound is beautiful when playing soft, but unfortunately not all piano pieces are like that. It may be partly my technique, but whatever the reason is this piano does not fit me.

Finally, I must say that this Kawai shop has a fantastic service. I really like the honesty of the sales and tech personnel. Plenty of reasons to come back here in my ongoing search.

#2038372 - 02/24/13 10:27 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Morodiene Offline

Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
I went to the shop to talk with the Kawai piano tech. He voiced down a single note of the second-hand RX-2 by softening the felt, and I could clearly hear that the tone had become softer.

He also tried to reduce the ringing sound in the tenor and treble section. This turned out to be more difficult. I continued hearing it, especially when playing anything stronger than mf and using the damper pedal, for example the third movement of Beethoven's Tempest. Even when playing with the una corda pedal I heard ringing. I suspect it is some feedback from the soundboard to the metal frame and some interactions between the frame and the strings. The shop manager said he heard it too, so it was not something in my imagination.

It seems that this piano is especially susceptible to this effect, and I finally concluded I could not live with it, so I decided not to buy it.

The instrument's sound is beautiful when playing soft, but unfortunately not all piano pieces are like that. It may be partly my technique, but whatever the reason is this piano does not fit me.

Finally, I must say that this Kawai shop has a fantastic service. I really like the honesty of the sales and tech personnel. Plenty of reasons to come back here in my ongoing search.

Sounds like this is the best choice to pass on this instrument. If it has qualities you don't like now, this most likely will get worse over time.
Petrof 9'2 Concert, Yamaha G3, Roland FP-7, Yamaha MOX6, Kawai MP11

#2045426 - 03/09/13 09:22 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

Today I played a different second-hand RX-2, one which was slightly older than the previous one. It was manufactured between the end of 2006 and the beginning of 2007. This one too has been in a Kawai school, used 4.5 to 5 years, but not heavily.

The on-site technician showed me the action, and it looked very good. There were some signs of use of course, but certainly not heavy use.

The tone of this one sounded better to me than the previous second-hand RX-2. The ringing or metal plate sound was much less or almost absent, probably in the range of what I like. Cosmetically, this second-hand was a bit less than the previous one, though. The metal frame had some superficial scratches (mostly at one location). Then there were a few (3 or 4) bass strings with a spot on it. The technician could remove most of it by softly using some sand paper. The remainder of the strings looked very good: shiny and all that. I do not know how to judge the presence of these spots. They may be a sign of exposure to a few drops of liquid in the past. I did not see other signs of previous exposure to liquids. Are there piano techs here who could comment on the presence of such spots? How difficult is it to keep your strings shiny and clean? Will they develop spots when touched?

#2045436 - 03/09/13 09:36 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Steve Cohen Offline

Loc: Maryland/DC/No. VA
Those spots are likely a little oxidation of the brass caused by someone touching the strings with a little perspiration on their fingertip. It has no effect other than cosmetic.

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.

#2049004 - 03/16/13 05:39 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

The different second-hand RX-2 of 6 years old I played last week (March 9) was moved by Kawai to their shop near my home. This shop also has the new RX-2, which is the subject of this thread. Today I had the opportunity to play both and compare them.

I started to like this second-hand RX-2 more and more, even more so than the new RX-2, though its touch was slightly heavier. The tone of the second-hand RX-2 was more balanced and round, and I enjoyed playing on it.

So, I decided on this second-hand, and look forward to welcome it to my home next week. Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. It was very helpful for me.

Now I have to figure out how to post pics on this forum, I guess...

#2049023 - 03/16/13 07:11 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: San Jose, CA
A nice story; a happy conclusion. I congratulate you.

#2049038 - 03/16/13 08:04 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
supersport Online   content

Loc: Arkansas
Congratulations on finding the piano you like.

#2049150 - 03/16/13 01:11 PM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
Hakki Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your RX-2.
ı wish you many happy years of enjoyment playing it.

#2063917 - 04/13/13 09:27 AM Re: RX-2: New or Second-Hand? [Re: PianistInJapan]
PianistInJapan Offline

My RX-2 arrived mid-March, and I have now enjoyed it tremendously for about a month. Time for a picture...

The average living room in Japan is not as spacious as in the west, but I still could fit it in in my 20 square meter something living/dining room. The piano was also just in the budget (short of US$20) I had initially in mind, so I literally followed the advice to buy the biggest piano that I can afford in space and money.

The sound level, however, is huge, much more than I imagined in the showroom. Fortunately, a Piano Mask was in the deal, and it was installed after a few weeks (not in the picture). This made the sound level much more acceptable. Initially I wanted to have the higher tones voiced down a bit, but with the mask installed and closed, they are just about right.

I will post some pics of the Kawai Piano Mask later, since it is only available in Japan, so not known to most readers here. It reduces the volume to below that of a decent upright. That is definitely not silent, but enough for me. I can certainly not play my RX-2 in the middle of the night; for that I keep my digital.

I still have to receive my first free tuning, but I postponed it, since the piano was tuned in the shop, and it holds its tune very well. That is definitely an advantage of a 6-year old piano over a new one.

Anyway, it's been a great experience. I have difficulty to keep my hands off the thing!

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
Christmas Header
Christmas Lights at Piano World Headquarters in Maine 2014
-------------------
The December Free Piano Newsletter
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
Yamaha CP Music Rest Promo
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Sheet Music Plus (125)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Making a New York Steinway sound like a Hamburg Steinway
by nphase
12/20/14 10:24 PM
Merry Christmas from Brazil! Feliz Natal!!
by Piano_Brazil
12/20/14 09:19 PM
Rzewski: De Profundis
by pianoloverus
12/20/14 09:17 PM
Guide to skills level
by Gemgem
12/20/14 08:55 PM
piano with willie
by TonyB
12/20/14 08:25 PM
Forum Stats
77375 Members
42 Forums
160028 Topics
2349997 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
Gift Ideas for Music Lovers!
Find the Perfect Gift for the Music Lovers on your List!
Visit our online store today.

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission