Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2038446 - 02/24/13 01:34 PM Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's?
Kbee Offline

Hi, I'm upgrading my 11-year-old daughter's piano. We currently have a free piano from Craig's list. She really enjoys playing piano and has won every competition her piano teacher put her in, so I think it's time to get a baby grand for her. The piano teacher wanted us to buy an Yamaha if possible.

My original plan was to wait for the local piano sale in mid March, but saw an Yamaha GC-1 for sale on Craig's list. It is manufactured in 2006 and the asking price is $8,500. We need to pay for the delivery and tuning.

Is it a fair price? The owner has an appraisal from a local piano store with the value of close to $10,000.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2038448 - 02/24/13 01:37 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
I would recommend spending a couple of hundred to have your own piano technician or another piano technician who is familiar with your local market, complete a comprehensive appraisal on the instrument, the appraisal document from the store notwithstanding.

There are lots of good used pianos in the marketplace and some of them would be Yamaha.

The name or make of the instrument is not the important part.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2038458 - 02/24/13 01:51 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Thanks for the reply, Dan. Her appraisal also includes a technician's evaluation on the piano. It was done by the largest piano store in our area. I'll have them move the piano if we decided to get it. That's why I didn't think of getting another technician to look at it.

We've checked the piano in person (no expert though). It's in beautiful shape and well taken care of. She is the original owner.

#2038463 - 02/24/13 02:04 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Unfortunately our small town has a very limited marketplace of pianos. You either buy it from local music stores or get it from Craig's list. The ones on CL are usually older models, i.e. G1 from Yamaha.

#2038466 - 02/24/13 02:09 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Silverwood Pianos Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver B. C. Canada
Originally Posted By: Kbee
Her appraisal also includes a technician's evaluation on the piano.

Does this technician do work for the store? A conflict there if that is the case.
http://www.facebook.com/SilverwoodPianosDotCom
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

#2038468 - 02/24/13 02:17 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Sorry maybe I'm not being clear. The piano owner paid to have the evaluation/appraisal done by the local store. The store does not own the piano.

#2038470 - 02/24/13 02:22 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

The piano's serial number is #6039694, just thought I should mention it.

Thanks smile

#2038478 - 02/24/13 02:41 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
BDB Online   content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Oakland
The chances are that there is nothing wrong with the piano. The price will depend on the local market. You probably should judge it on the basis of what the local store would want for a new one, and decide on a fair percentage of that.

#2038483 - 02/24/13 02:48 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Minnesota Marty Online   content

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Hi Kbee - Welcome to Piano World!

Did the "evaluation/appraisal" include a mechanical inspection by the store. I'm assuming (trusting) that it was done by a qualified technician. You might be able to obtain further info on the piano from the person who inspected it.

Going by the 2006-07 pricing "Supplement" to the "Piano Book" by Larry Fine, the price when the piano was new would be ~$17,000. That gives you another piece of info.

I'm not familiar with that particular model, so I'll leave it to others to comment on the asking price. With any sale, it is always worth some negotiation.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2038598 - 02/24/13 05:46 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Supply Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
If the store which did the appraisal originally sold the piano to the current owner (seller), it could be fairly safe to assume that the value is skewed toward the high side. Short entry level baby grands are not known for very good tone. In the end, you have to buy the piano you like and like the piano you buy.

Piattino Caster Cups distributor

#2038660 - 02/24/13 07:56 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Thanks for all the replies!! I checked with the owner, she said she paid $13,000~$14,000 for the new piano in 2007.

Yes, the appraisal was done by the store she bought the piano from. Actually, there is only one piano store (a few branches though) in our area frown

My house is not that big so not sure if a larger piano will fit in it. My searches leads me to this wonderful forum and that's how I learned about GC-1.

#2038667 - 02/24/13 08:15 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Guapo Gabacho Online   content

Loc: Rio Grande Valley of Texas
Kbee,
You can take anything a piano dealer says to the bank, but it must be their bank.

Treat buying a piano the same way you would a used car, just with more suspicion.

#2038679 - 02/24/13 08:35 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Thanks, that's great advice. I really should bring my own technician to look at it, shouldn't I?

Feel so inadequate in my knowledge about buying a used piano, but my budget is not big enough for a new one. Don't have trained ears either.

Never gotten a used car, because I know I'd be like a lamb in the butcher shop.

Thank goodness I found this forum.

#2038754 - 02/25/13 12:23 AM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
miscrms Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
As I think you've gathered, on a purchase of this size it only makes sense to get an independent opinion. That's not to say the owner's/store's appraisal might not be right on, but why chance it?

As far as increasing your confidence in feeling educated in your purchase, many have recommended Larry Fine's "Piano Book" and his pianobuyer.com website. The print book has many good articles on general piano topics, and the website has updated information available for free including a good overview of buying a used piano.

Your local library might have the "Piano Book", or if you buy it from Amazon using the link from this page I believe the PW forum gets some financial benefit from the purchase.
http://www.pianoworld.com/pianobooks.htm

Good luck!
Rob

#2039727 - 02/26/13 04:24 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Kbee Offline

Thanks Rob. I'll be reading Piano Book. It's a new world to explore. I've talked to a technician as well.

The piano owner is quite firm on the price. Is it a fair asking price?

#2039734 - 02/26/13 04:34 PM Re: Upgrading from an old free piano to a baby grand, Q's? [Re: Kbee]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
GC-1 is an exccelent choice. there are equvailent choices, too. but a slightly used grand like this is the bang for the buck.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
163 registered (accordeur, alfredo capurso, 36251, Almaviva, 47 invisible), 1781 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74300 Members
42 Forums
153683 Topics
2252743 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Cover of Luke Bryan "Drink a Beer"
by Zach Evans
56 minutes 29 seconds ago
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft on May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:06 PM
Boris Slutsky to perform at PianoCraft May 3
by Keith D Kerman
Today at 05:05 PM
Hi Mr S-H and all
by Seaside_Lee
Today at 04:13 PM
A Steinway for under 1,500...
by Juln
Today at 04:09 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission