2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
Hi there,

I'm a bit stuck regulating a 1927 Sohmer Cupid with a WN&G action. First of all, from everything I've heard, Sohmer used Pratt-Read actions exclusively, so I'm not sure if the action is some kind of brief experiment on the part of Sohmer or perhaps not original.

A while ago, someone here was saying they were having trouble regulating a Sohmer grand until they realized its hammer blow distance was supposed to be 2". After experimenting with a few different distances, I continue to be stumped, so I ask you. Should I be looking at regulation specs for Sohmer grands or for WN&G actions? If anyone can offer insight on the dilemma I'd much appreciate it.

E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Greetings,
Your key height is proscribed by the case, so that can be a beginning. Has to fit under the fallboard and should not look weird over the keyslip.

Key dip can be from .375" to .400". Set the dip on one of the keys to a value somewhere inbetween these two, set the let-off, and then raise the hammer until you have .040" after touch. That will be your blow distance for a middle of the road beginning set-up. You may find the action is made for a deeper touch and longer blow, but you can't get too far away from the key's limitations, since the sharps can't bury, and they don't feel good if higher than 1/2 inch.
good luck

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
As Ed alludes, an action will generally tell a person how it wants and needs to be regulated. However, you need to be able to understand the language it is speaking. This requires more in-depth, close-up and personal exposure and regulating experience with many grand actions than reading a book or two and spending a lot of time on the internet. Grand actions are in fact fairly complex beasts, when you get down into the details of the interactive steps of regulation.

I suggest getting a piano technician in to do a first regulation and then you can experiment with it from there.

JG
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
I second Jurgens advice.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission