Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2038490 - 02/24/13 02:59 PM Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique
Alpha Spartan A Offline

Loc: United States
Hey, guys. I have a question regarding the Allegro di molt e con brio section of Beethoven's 8th piano sonata. I have reviewed various transcriptions of the same sonata, and in some editions, measures 12 and 20 have a Sfortzando on the E natural - C, and some don't. I'm wondering if there's an officially accepted version of the Sonatas, and if so, what it says to do.

Thanks, guys!

- Alpha Spartan A

Ad 800 (Pearl River)
Pearl River World's Best Selling Piano
#2038566 - 02/24/13 05:04 PM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
Mark_C Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: New York
Your best bet is to assume that the sf is for real.

There are varying degrees in which those chords might be "sforzando'd" but I don't think I've ever heard any high-level performance that didn't "sforzando" them, and when I played it, I sure sforzando'd them (moderately). smile

#2038578 - 02/24/13 05:18 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music
Cooper doesn't have them, and it is the most reliable edition.

Music is my best friend.

#2038580 - 02/24/13 05:21 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

Golly, maybe I better delete my post.... grin

#2038589 - 02/24/13 05:39 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: Mark_C]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: Mark_C

Nah, it's Beethoven. Bang away! laugh

#2038607 - 02/24/13 06:06 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: Derulux]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: Derulux

Nah, it's Beethoven. Bang away! laugh

Old joke (don't remember from where -- probably the National Lampoon):

If it's too soft, it's Schubert. If it's too loud, it's Wagner. If it's alternately too soft and too loud, it's Beethoven. ha

#2038944 - 02/25/13 10:32 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
HNB Offline

Loc: Australia
My old Schirmer edition has those sforzandos in the recapitulation only - with a pompous editorial footnote (von Bulow & Lebert I think) pointing them out.

I always refer back to the first editions and/or autographs when studying Beethoven sonatas, most of which are available on IMSLP.

Just had a quick look at the first edition of the Pathetique and it's the same as my edition - the sforzando you mention is NOT in the exposition, but IS in the recapitulation.

#2038965 - 02/25/13 11:26 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
Originally Posted By: Alpha Spartan A
Hey, guys. I have a question regarding the Allegro di molt e con brio section of Beethoven's 8th piano sonata. I have reviewed various transcriptions of the same sonata, and in some editions, measures 12 and 20 have a Sfortzando on the E natural - C, and some don't. I'm wondering if there's an officially accepted version of the Sonatas, and if so, what it says to do.
[...]

In my edition (Schnabel) which is very heavily edited, there are sfz markings in several places throughout this movement, so my edition can't have an authority on the question. However, in measure 12 I see no E/C nor do I in measure 20. In measure 11, there is an E-flat/C on the first beat followed by an E-natural/C on the following half-beat, where Schnabel puts a wedge (under the E-natural/C). I can find nothing close to this notation, however, around measure 20.

Regards,

#2038993 - 02/25/13 12:17 PM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
prenex Offline

Loc: Minnesota
In my Peters edition it is an editorial suggestion [square bracket.]

#2039166 - 02/25/13 04:59 PM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: BruceD
....However, in measure 12 I see no E/C nor do I in measure 20. In measure 11, there is an E-flat/C on the first beat followed by an E-natural/C on the following half-beat, where Schnabel puts a wedge (under the E-natural/C). I can find nothing close to this notation, however, around measure 20.

The measure numbers confused me too, so I mostly ignored them and just tried to figure out what he meant -- and it seems he's sort of counting from the beginning of the whole movement.

He means m. 3 and m. 11 of the Allegro.

#2039176 - 02/25/13 05:12 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: ChopinAddict]
GeorgeB Offline
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: ChopinAddict

Debatable.

#2039179 - 02/25/13 05:17 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: GeorgeB]
Mark_C Offline

Originally Posted By: GeorgeB

Debatable.

Good -- glad I didn't really delete my post. ha

HOWEVER....

In such a situation, I would tend to believe that the absence of the indication is more authentic, because I think editors would be far less inclined to remove an indication of the composer's than to add one of their own. I'd love to have been right grin but I have a feeling that Cooper has it right, at least on this.

Even though I never heard of that edition before and have no idea what it is. blush

#2039186 - 02/25/13 05:39 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: Mark_C]
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Loc: Land of the never-ending music

Even though I never heard of that edition before and have no idea what it is. blush

It has actually been mentioned several times here at PW, particularly by stores, who I think was the first to recommend it. I basically trusted him when I chose to buy this edition, and I am happy. smile

But it was also mentioned in the NYT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/arts/music/20whit.html?pagewanted=print&_r=0

And the ABRSM site:
http://shop.abrsm.org/shop/prod/Beethoven-The-35-Piano-Sonatas-Volumes-1-3/2003376

Music is my best friend.

#2039190 - 02/25/13 05:49 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: ChopinAddict]
Mark_C Offline

It has actually been mentioned several times here at PW, particularly by stores....

Oh OK -- no wonder I never heard of it! grin

#2039191 - 02/25/13 05:49 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: ChopinAddict]
beet31425 Online   content
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: Bay Area, CA

From the article, here's Barry Cooper on including additional early sonatas in his edition: “I can find no reason why they shouldn’t be counted... if they lack something in quality, you could say the same of some of the Opus 49 Sonatas, and you surely wouldn’t exclude those from the canon."

Yes I would! Let's start a petition to remove op.49/2 from the canon! There should only be 31 sonatas. (Op.49/1, you can stay.)

-J

#2039225 - 02/25/13 07:01 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: beet31425]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: beet31425

Yes I would! Let's start a petition to remove op.49/2 from the canon! There should only be 31 sonatas. (Op.49/1, you can stay.)

-J

Personally, I believe we should follow Beethoven's wishes and remove both Op.49 Sonatas (which are really juvenile Sonatinas) from the canon - they were published against his wishes.

There is already one integral recording of all thirty Beethoven's Piano Sonatas from which the Op.49 were expunged....... wink

#2039226 - 02/25/13 07:03 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: bennevis]
Mark_C Offline

But in that case I would suggest adding Mozart's C minor sonata and Haydn's E-flat (Hob. 52). grin

#2039229 - 02/25/13 07:04 PM Re: Debatable Sforzando in Pathétique [Re: Mark_C]
bennevis Online   content
5000 Post Club Member

But in that case I would suggest adding Mozart's C minor sonata and Haydn's E-flat (Hob. 52). grin

They are certainly more Beethovenian than Beethoven's Op.49.... grin

#2039233 - 02/25/13 07:10 PM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Mark_C]
BruceD Offline

Loc: Victoria, BC
....However, in measure 12 I see no E/C nor do I in measure 20. In measure 11, there is an E-flat/C on the first beat followed by an E-natural/C on the following half-beat, where Schnabel puts a wedge (under the E-natural/C). I can find nothing close to this notation, however, around measure 20.

The measure numbers confused me too, so I mostly ignored them and just tried to figure out what he meant -- and it seems he's sort of counting from the beginning of the whole movement.

He means m. 3 and m. 11 of the Allegro.

OK; I'll buy that, which is logical since we usually start counting from the beginning of a movement. Except that it now makes the measures in question 13 and 21, at least in my Schnabel.

My above remark pertains: Schnabel has a wedge on the E-natural/C both times, but no sfz, although there are other sfz's.

Regards,

#2039267 - 02/25/13 08:10 PM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: BruceD]
Mark_C Offline

....Except that it now makes the measures in question 13 and 21, at least in my Schnabel....

Right -- that's why I said "sort of" when I said he seemed to be counting from the beginning.

I tried to clarify it by giving the measure counts from the start of the Allegro, because that's something everyone can count pretty easily, including if their scores don't have measure numbers, which most don't.

#2039409 - 02/26/13 02:19 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Pretoria South Africa
The “sf” is a preface to the unusual peaking “p” of the
climatic upward surge in the opening measures.

Why all the fuss? ... “sf” means
“hold your horses, chaps” ...
I clatter over “sf’s” by the furlong without
a single lash of the whip.

But always an eye out for a sudden change in dynamics.

According to Wikipedia sf means

"Sforzando, used in musical notation as an instruction to play a note with sudden, strong emphasis (Italian, literally "forcing")"

#2039966 - 02/27/13 03:46 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
sandalholme Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Dorset, UK
Tovey's view is: "Beethoven does not give sforzandos in bars 3 and 11. Editors have supplied them on the analogy of bars 187 and 195; but Beethoven probably meant this as a variation. Of course the syncopation will of itself produce a slight accent if clearly expressed."

#2040666 - 02/28/13 09:45 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: Alpha Spartan A]
prenex Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Do you think the sforzando is implied by the music? If so, could you folks please explain to me why because I don't see it as cleary the case just from the music.

#2040706 - 02/28/13 10:50 AM Re: Debatable Sfortzando in Pathétique [Re: prenex]
Derulux Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia
Originally Posted By: prenex
Do you think the sforzando is implied by the music? If so, could you folks please explain to me why because I don't see it as cleary the case just from the music.

Certainly not in the middle of bar 3, if that's the one everyone's referring to. There are other places in the opening marked with sf, most at the tail end of a long crescendo, which seems to indicate to me to give it a "little extra umph", but not something over the top. I think this is a case where subtlety is sublime, and overstatement is hokey.

Moderator:  Brendan, Kreisler 
What's Hot!!
8 Live Ragtime Piano Players on the Cape!
-------------------
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
What Piece Is This?
by Works1
Today at 03:43 PM
Suites Georg Bhm
by Johan B
Today at 03:40 PM
Which brand has the best key action under 1,000 USD?
by login
Today at 03:18 PM
Recording the results of Pianoteq
by Roger Ransom
Today at 01:35 PM
Coolest Back Action I have Seen
by Steve Jackson
Today at 11:55 AM
Who's Online
147 registered (alfredo capurso, accordeur, A Guy, Alexander Borro, ajames, 40 invisible), 1553 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76643 Members
42 Forums
158474 Topics
2327321 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission