Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2038443 - 02/24/13 01:30 PM Piano Shopping
RobertS Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Well it's back to square one with the upright purchase. I thought I was going with the Charles Walter 1500 after shopping last week. So yesterday I once again took the 2 1/2 hr ride (each way) to the dealer(s). This time with my own sheet music in hand, and a friend with good ears. We started at the Yamaha dealer playing the U1, 3, 5, a Vogel, and a Schimmel. Well if money was growing on one of my trees in my yard, it would be the Schimmel hands down. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried the Schimmel and the Yamaha's would have sounded better. Then we went over to the CW dealer. Well, the CW didn't work for me this time. The action didn't repeat well when I pushed the piano, and I had to really push it to get volume. I know it's an upright/studio but didn't have the same problem with other pianos using the same music. The dealer thought it was funny that I was so taken with the CW last week. He did admit that the Chinese action was a problem, and would only be ordering CW's with Renner in the future. I went on to test the Kawai's again K3,5,6, and a wonderful Mason Hamlin (again over my budget). I did like the K6. Reminded me of the big old uprights from years back. The stinky part is that both the K5, and 6 were out of tune so I didn't get to hear the best the piano could perhaps do. I did tell the dealer and he blamed the big window in the room. UGH!! I left and on the way home found another Kawai dealer to stop at(live in NE so in and out of states easy). He only had a K5 but thankfully it was in tune. His price on the K5 was 1,200 less than the other shop, but 500.00 more on the K6 (would have to order one).
So after all said and done, I think I'll go with a 52" upright. That means going back again and trying the U3 and K6. The U5 was over my budget. I want to stay under 10K. What do other's think of the Kawai K6?
Thanks

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

#2038491 - 02/24/13 03:00 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
Furtwangler Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Danville, California
I think a Kawai K6 is wonderful - and within your budget.

I too have been impressed with some Schimmel verticals - one I recall was a C132 I believe.

#2038647 - 02/24/13 07:25 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
RobertS Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Is it fair to compare the U3 to the K6? I like the part about the K6 having the agaraffes and duplex scale. Is this just being silly or???

#2038653 - 02/24/13 07:37 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Loc: Surrey, B.C.
Thinking the the K6 would be your best choice.

Didn't know that the Chinese actions for C.W. are "less than optimal" - perhaps they should change suppliers over there...

Your above choices included only few brands/models IMHO somewhat limiting your options.

However, IMHO and from what have said, the K6 appears most suitable to your needs.

Congrats in advance should it become your final choice - enjoy!

Norbert smile

#2038654 - 02/24/13 07:38 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
Minnesota Marty Offline

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014

Loc: Rochester MN
Well, I prefer the K6 to the U3, both in tone and touch.

Both are well built and have different features, so I wouldn't get bogged down on the construction minutia. "Features" can start to drive you nuts, and then you add in sales hype, Yikes!

Sorry you didn't like the Walter, but the most important thing is to find the piano that fits you best.

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.

#2038661 - 02/24/13 08:02 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
Rich Galassini Offline
9000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Quote:
The action didn't repeat well when I pushed the piano, and I had to really push it to get volume. I know it's an upright/studio but didn't have the same problem with other pianos using the same music. The dealer thought it was funny that I was so taken with the CW last week. He did admit that the Chinese action was a problem, and would only be ordering CW's with Renner in the future.

Hmmm... I order many Walter pianos and I must give my opinion on this point. Although the Walter action needs more attention than the Renner upon setup, once this attention is given it is consistent and dependable.

The action not repeating well on ANY new piano is indicative of a piano that is not well prepped, not indicative of an inferior action. Based on what I know, I would wager that this dealer does little to no prep. to their instruments. That is a shame.

I wish you good luck with your choice RobertS. It is a shame if this action issue shaded your opinion of a fine piano.

My 2 cents,
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2038689 - 02/24/13 09:06 PM Re: Piano Shopping [Re: RobertS]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
K6 has a nice cabinet design trick which I find extremly effective to improve the sound quality close to Grand Piano.

Inverse Tone Release System

You ill get some direct tones "in the face" instead of reflected sound from the wall.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Knabe Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
75 registered (aesop, Ben_NZ, AndrewJCW, bgiles, Allard, beet31425, 16 invisible), 1110 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
75898 Members
42 Forums
156857 Topics
2304761 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tuning my piano with an app
by johan d
Today at 03:14 AM
Tuning a piano
by johan d
Today at 02:14 AM
Yamaha CLP-430 or Roland RP-401?
by masterboy
Today at 01:22 AM
NY Steinway in Russia
by victor kam
Today at 12:38 AM
DAMPP CHASER
by tksler
Today at 12:05 AM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission