Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad 125) Sweetwater - Digital Keyboards & Other Gear
Digital Pianos at Sweetwater
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2036989 - 02/21/13 02:02 PM Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice
trandinhnamanh Offline

Loc: Paris, France
As I know, the CLP-990 is the only Clavinova model that have the "88 Stereo Sampling". Here's what Yamaha said about it:

PURE PIANO SOUND - EVEN "BETWEEN" THE NOTES

If you're serious about your music, you don't want an instrument that sounds and plays "like" a piano. You want a piano. Which is exactly what you get with the CLP-990. Cutting-edge AWM tone generation technology ensures that every subtle nuance — from the lowest to the highest notes, and from the softest to the loudest dynamics — is right there at your fingertips. All the keys boast separate stereo samples.

In the same way that an acoustic piano has separate strings for each key, the CLP-990 has separate stereo samples for all 88 keys — each one painstakingly recorded from a top-class, perfectly maintained Yamaha CFIIIS concert grand. There's no tricky filtering or pitch shifting to make a single sample sound like several notes: each individual note is a separate and distinctly vibrant entity. What's more, each note is sampled at five separate dynamic levels so that the timbre is right from the meekest pianissimo to the most commanding fortissimo. Naturally, this requires a lot of memory: how about a whopping 80.4 megabytes just for the Grand Piano sound?

The CLP-990 features more than just 88-key Stereo Samples to assure authentic piano sound. String Resonance delivers the sound of strings in the related harmonic series resonating when other keys and the damper pedal are pressed. To recreate the changes in soundboard and string resonance that occur when, for example, the damper pedal is pressed, there are Stereo Sustain Samples . Plus Key-Off Samples that reproduce the change in timbre as keys are released on a real acoustic piano. As a final step towards achieving perfection, the CLP-990's Soundboard Reverb effect provides the residual resonance of the soundboard and cabinet after the keys and damper pedal have been released.

This is a performance playing with the "Grand Piano 1" voice of the CLP-990:

LISZT: Mephisto Waltz No. 1

Another one:

LISZT: Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12

Cheers

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/24/13 08:14 AM)

(ads) Sweetwater / Roland
Kawai Superb Stage Piano and Controller

Click Here

#2037023 - 02/21/13 03:14 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

To my ears, there's something seriously deficient in that recording (but I admit I don't know how MIDI recording works) - there's zero tonal range and very little dynamic variation.

Listen to a real piano http://youtu.be/P5FDtRiN6fY , even for just the first minute (or even better, from 10:35 onwards), to see what I mean, especially about the tonal range: when Trifonov attacks the keyboard, the sound 'sharpens' (i.e. the overtones become louder in relation to the fundamentals) - there's none of that in your recording, which I have to say, sounds very clinical and lifeless.

#2037039 - 02/21/13 04:00 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, United Kingdom
(takes deep breath)...I agree to a large extent with bennevis (it had to happen one day!).

#2037053 - 02/21/13 04:22 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: EssBrace]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
Well knock me down!
Originally Posted By: EssBrace
(takes deep breath)...I agree to a large extent with bennevis (it had to happen one day!).
I guess it's possible so long as the letters A, G, and V don't rear their ugly heads. smile

#2037064 - 02/21/13 04:45 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
bfb Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Atlanta GA USA
Originally Posted By: trandinhnamanh

As I know, the CLP-990 is the only Clavinova model that have the "88 Stereo Sampling". Here's what Yamaha said about it:

PURE PIANO SOUND - EVEN "BETWEEN" THE NOTES

If you're serious about your music, you don't want an instrument that sounds and plays "like" a piano. You want a piano. Which is exactly what you get with the CLP-990. Cutting-edge AWM tone generation technology ensures that every subtle nuance — from the lowest to the highest notes, and from the softest to the loudest dynamics — is right there at your fingertips. All the keys boast separate stereo samples.

In the same way that an acoustic piano has separate strings for each key, the CLP-990 has separate stereo samples for all 88 keys — each one painstakingly recorded from a top-class, perfectly maintained Yamaha CFIIIS concert grand. There's no tricky filtering or pitch shifting to make a single sample sound like several notes: each individual note is a separate and distinctly vibrant entity. What's more, each note is sampled at five separate dynamic levels so that the timbre is right from the meekest pianissimo to the most commanding fortissimo. Naturally, this requires a lot of memory: how about a whopping 80.4 megabytes just for the Grand Piano sound?

The CLP-990 features more than just 88-key Stereo Samples to assure authentic piano sound. String Resonance delivers the sound of strings in the related harmonic series resonating when other keys and the damper pedal are pressed. To recreate the changes in soundboard and string resonance that occur when, for example, the damper pedal is pressed, there are Stereo Sustain Samples . Plus Key-Off Samples that reproduce the change in timbre as keys are released on a real acoustic piano. As a final step towards achieving perfection, the CLP-990's Soundboard Reverb effect provides the residual resonance of the soundboard and cabinet after the keys and damper pedal have been released.

This is a performance with the "Grand Piano 1" voice of the CLP-990. It's the Franz Liszt's famous piece "Mephisto Waltz No. 1"

LISZT: Mephisto Waltz No.1 - CLP990

Cheers

The Yamaha website says this model is discontinued. And you are touting its specs? .... a whopping 80.4 MB of piano samples? 5 layers? granted, it all comes down to how the DP's sound comes together when played, and its not always about library size etc, and 5 layers isn't all that bad. But it just isn't up to today's standards.

Steinway M; Roland V-Piano; Yamaha P250; Roland FP 5
Ivory II Grands, Italian, American D; Galaxy Vintage D; Alicia's Keys; Garritan Steinway; Galaxy Pianos; The Grand 3

#2037068 - 02/21/13 04:48 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: bfb]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: bfb
...it all comes down to how the DP's sound comes together when played, and its not always about library size etc...

So true.

#2037085 - 02/21/13 05:08 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: bennevis]
Charles Cohen Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Richmond, BC, Canada
This is not a defense of the Yamaha, but a comment on the difficulty of doing comparisons.

The Yamaha recording isn't a MIDI recording. That would give you the keystrokes' timing, and the "velocity" (hardness-of-touch) of each keystroke. But that's not audio information.

The MIDI signals from the keyboard go through the Yamaha sound generator (88-key sampling, multiple dynamic levels, etc) and come out as digital audio, and that's what gets recorded (probably as a .WAV file, which has "CD-quality" sound (16-bits, 44,100 samples per second).

That WAV file then gets "encoded" (compressed) into an MP3 file. That's what gets stored on the Web, transferred to your computer and "decoded" (uncompressed) into a WAV file (or its equivalent) for playing.

According to the (long) Wikipedia article on MP3, the decoding process is pretty much standardized, but the _encoding_ process is not.

It's quite possible that

(a) the Yamaha recording has been volume-compressed _before_ being passed through the MP3 encoder, and/or

(b) the MP3 encoder used for the Yamaha was different (and worse) than the MP3 encoder used for Trifonov's recording, and/or

(c) the player of the Yamaha just wasn't as dynamically varied as Trifonov.

The bits going into your soundcard, when you play back something from the Internet, are far, far removed from the bits that came out of the digital instrument, or the bits that came out of the ADC that was connected to the microphone that recorded the sound (if it was an acoustic instrument).

. Charles

PS -- sorry if I'm telling everyone what they already know.

#2037087 - 02/21/13 05:12 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: MacMacMac]
bennevis Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: MacMacMac
Well knock me down!
I guess it's possible so long as the letters A, G, and V don't rear their ugly heads. smile

I've seen the light, my friends.

I've changed my diet from the Very Good Apples diet to the new Advanced & Versatile Gastronome diet, and am now totally cool smokin.....

#2037116 - 02/21/13 05:52 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@trandinhnamanh,

Sounds quite professional (in the performance) and unlike a lot of the other reviews you are getting I happen to like both the playing and the recorded sound which isn't bad at all, by the way.

The main grand piano sound is very clear and crisp and it allows the passage work to really come through as details tend to get lost if there is too much reverb, which is just about right.

You have an excellent digital (even as an older model), one to enjoy!

#2037134 - 02/21/13 06:12 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: pv88]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: pv88
@trandinhnamanh,

Is that you playing in the recording, or, is it someone else?

Sounds quite professional (in the performance) and unlike a lot of the other reviews you are getting I happen to like both the playing and the recorded sound which isn't bad at all, by the way.

The main grand piano sound is very clean and crisp and it allows the passage work to really come through as details tend to get lost if there is too much reverb, which is just about right.

You have an excellent digital (even as an older model), one to enjoy!

Thanks, pv88. I really enjoy my DP.

That's not me who play in the recording. It's just a MIDI performance played by the CLP-990. Personally, I don't like the performance itself, it's too artificial. I just used it to try the 88 stereo sampling voice that I really like, powerful and crisp, not just smooth and so easy to play like the new clavinovas.

#2037162 - 02/21/13 07:17 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: bfb]
MacMacMac Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Loc: North Carolina
This was a 2001 model, probably discontinued after two or three years.
The Yamaha website says this model is discontinued.

Why not tout its specs? It's a fantastic piano!
Quote:
And you are touting its specs?

Wrong ...
Quote:
... isn't all that bad. But it just isn't up to today's standards.
It's far ABOVE today's standards. Maybe, just maybe the AG surpasses it. Or maybe not. But no other sampled piano can touch it.

#2037164 - 02/21/13 07:20 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
dewster Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Loc: Northern NJ
This is a performance with the "Grand Piano 1" voice of the CLP-990. It's the Franz Liszt's famous piece "Mephisto Waltz No. 1"

This is quite possibly the "best" DP demo song I've ever heard - buckets of staccato, heaps of quick stabbing little notes, no long sustains, no slow solo notes. Nothing to reveal looping or short attack samples. It actually sounds pretty good, but that's why these types of songs are built into the instruments these days.

It's far ABOVE today's standards. Maybe, just maybe the AG surpasses it. Or maybe not. But no other sampled piano can touch it.

Am I the only one here who finds this statement really sad?

#2037273 - 02/21/13 11:58 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@trandinhnamanh,

Here are two short excerpts of me playing the same piece just so that you can hear what the Kawai CA95 sounds like with the default "Concert Grand" preset with no additional reverb or settings added:

https://www.box.com/s/1sj1cihn1q6uvqy9pd3j

The CA95 has a very good grand piano sound.

#2037287 - 02/22/13 01:20 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: pv88]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: pv88
@trandinhnamanh,

Here are two short excerpts of me playing the same piece just so that you can hear what the Kawai CA95 sounds like with the default "Concert Grand" preset with no additional reverb or settings added:

https://www.box.com/s/1sj1cihn1q6uvqy9pd3j

The CA95 has a very good grand piano sound.

Good job, pv88 smile

#2037289 - 02/22/13 01:21 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: dewster]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Originally Posted By: dewster

This is quite possibly the "best" DP demo song I've ever heard - buckets of staccato, heaps of quick stabbing little notes, no long sustains, no slow solo notes. Nothing to reveal looping or short attack samples. It actually sounds pretty good, but that's why these types of songs are built into the instruments these days.

Am I the only one here who finds this statement really sad?

You're not the only one, I'm sure... At least, the other one is me frown

#2037294 - 02/22/13 01:38 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: MacMacMac]
trandinhnamanh Offline

This was a 2001 model, probably discontinued after two or three years.
The Yamaha website says this model is discontinued.

Why not tout its specs? It's a fantastic piano!
Quote:
And you are touting its specs?

Wrong ...
Quote:
... isn't all that bad. But it just isn't up to today's standards.

thumb

#2037309 - 02/22/13 02:25 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

As for the "Mephisto Waltz"...

Here is a captivating performance by 11-year old pianist Anna Larsen, as she was given a high-five by Lang Lang during the applause at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaF3gJF054

She plays like a professional, already.

#2038288 - 02/24/13 05:07 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Hi everyone,

Here's another demo I've made with the CLP-990's Grand Piano voice:

LISZT - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12 - Yamaha Clavinova CLP-990

Cheers,

#2038711 - 02/24/13 10:19 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Hi everyone,

Here's another demo I've made with the CLP-990's Grand Piano voice:

LISZT - Hungarian Rhapsody No. 12 - Yamaha Clavinova CLP-990

@trandinhnamanh,

Thanks for posting:

Very good recording overall, as I can imagine the CLP990 sounds even better to the player at the piano, when directly listening to the built-in speakers.

#2038795 - 02/25/13 02:53 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: pv88]
trandinhnamanh Offline

@pv88,

The buit-in speakers of the CLP-990, actually, I don't really like them. The amplification system on newer high-end models (380, 480 etc...) is far above. I have to add monitor speakers (I use 2 x Yamaha MS202II) and set them horizontally behind the piano to make it sounds better. Anyway, for real playing, I have my grand piano. I just use the CLP-990 to practice with headphones and to record my arrangement. But I can say that I'm really happy with this vintage DP. What a great product! wow

Cheers

Edited by trandinhnamanh (03/13/13 06:49 PM)

#2038830 - 02/25/13 04:55 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
pv88 Offline
2000 Post Club Member

@trandinhnamanh,

1) What is it that you do not like about the speakers in the CLP990?

2) Are they not loud enough, or, do they distort when turned up?

3) Also, do the speakers add vibration and feel to the key bed?
(The CLP990 has 60 watts per side, according to the specs.)

4) Is the two-sensor action fast with repetitions?
(As the CA95 has a three-sensor action.)

Here is a repeated note test at the CA95:

https://www.box.com/s/m2yf56x2926dyprrpl7s

#2038897 - 02/25/13 08:02 AM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: pv88]
trandinhnamanh Offline

@pv88

I don't like the buit-in speakers of the CLP-990 so much because of their above speaker box design. With this design, they can add a wonderful vibration to the keybed, but they sound too directly to my ears. For music listenning, they're excelent and poweful Yamaha speakers, without any distortion at all. But I prefer the new designed amplification on the current high end CLP which give an excelent 3D effect to such a complex and richful concert grand piano sound.

I didn't do any test of the action repetition on the 990, because I'm really satisfied with it. I can play the most difficult phrases easily with this action.

Cheers

#2039048 - 02/25/13 02:10 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: trandinhnamanh]
adak Offline

Loc: Canada
Was this product ever profitable? This thing is a beast. Grand piano action, loudspeakers, 88 key sampling, nice looking cabinet. Such a piano would probably have to sell for $20,000 today in order to get a reasonable return for Yamaha. It seems funny to compare it to $2000-$5000 digital pianos that are more prevalent nowadays cause this older model is clearly in a different league.

#2039066 - 02/25/13 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: adak]
EssBrace Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: adak
Was this product ever profitable? This thing is a beast. Grand piano action,....

It's not a grand piano action. Just long wooden keys that lever up a weird looking plastic hammer assembly. There's no "action" as such. I'm sure it is very good, but it is not a grand piano action.

As a second hand buy if it is in decent working order and relatively inexpensive I don't think you could go wrong with one of these but I'd choose a CLP 480 over the CLP-990 every time.

#2039126 - 02/25/13 03:49 PM Re: Yamaha flagship Clavinova CLP-990's Grand Piano voice [Re: EssBrace]
trandinhnamanh Offline

Just long wooden keys that lever up a weird looking plastic hammer assembly

Maybe Yamaha should paint them in pink or polka-dot to be more pretty hammer assembly?!? wink

but I'd choose a CLP 480 over the CLP-990 every time

...and the winner isssss..... YAMAHA CORPORATION!!! laugh

Edited by trandinhnamanh (02/25/13 05:22 PM)

Moderator:  Piano World 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
ad (Casio)
Celviano by Casio Rebate
Ad (Seiler/Knabe)
Seiler Pianos
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
New Topics - Multiple Forums
MIDI to USB adapters?
by Mark NM
Today at 12:32 PM
Need help IDing grandfather's 1920s piano exam piece
by Valencia
Today at 11:42 AM
That awkward non-playing hand...
by TX-Bluebonnet
Today at 11:15 AM
New Kawai CE220
by Dr John 48
Today at 09:23 AM
Piano covers
by Jamie
Today at 08:51 AM
Who's Online
157 registered (255, AndresD, Almaviva, ando, amv256, 46 invisible), 1377 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
76221 Members
42 Forums
157561 Topics
2314337 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
|
Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission