Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
the Forums & Piano World

This custom search works much better than the built in one and allows searching older posts.
(ad) Pianoteq
Latest Pianoteq add-on instrument: U4 upright piano
(ad) Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad) P B Guide
Acoustic & Digital Piano Guide
PianoSupplies.com (150)
Piano Accessories Music Related Gifts Piano Tuning Equipment Piano Moving Equipment
We now offer Gift Certificates in our online store!
(ad) Estonia Piano
Estonia Piano
Quick Links to Useful Stuff
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers
*Organs

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano Accessories
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Piano Books
*Piano Art, Pictures, & Posters
*Directory/Site Map
*Contest
*Links
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Screen Saver
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords
Topic Options
#2038218 - 02/23/13 11:27 PM A piano adventure in Chicago
gutenberg Offline

Loc: Wichita, Kansas
Every once in awhile I've had the opportunity to sample high end pianos in fun locations. A few years ago it was Steingraebers and the full line of C. Bechsteins in New Mexico.

A few days ago I was in Chicago and couldn't get home to Wichita because of winter storm Q. I spent several hours in the Fine Arts Building on S. Michigan Ave. Most of the time I spent at Pianoforte.

This little thread is about a few pianos there, but its also about the store. I don't have enough good words to say about Pianoforte or its proprietor, Thomas Zoells. What a wonderful place.

Ah the pianos. I have wanted to play Fazioli's for a long time. There was the 10'2". Angela Hewitt played this piano a few weeks earlier. I just pretended to play it. It is a high-revving, turbo-charged beast. I played one note and felt I played it wrong.

The 6', however, was for me very controllable, very even. I could rev it up and it challenged and rewarded me. Contrary to what some others have written it was quite musical to me, not clinical.

Then there was the Grotrian Charis, dark, moody. All the pianos I played were well regulated. Though the Grotrian was responsive it didn't suit me as well as some others, action-wise.

The Shigeru SK3 was very nice but was simply outgunned by the competition and the size of the competition. Of course it was cheaoer too.

And then there was the Bosendorfer 213. Used from 1991. For me, that was the piano for all seasons and all literature. It was the first Bosie that I've played and I think I'm hooked. I don't know if the 213 is representative of Bosendorfers given that the 214 came along, but now I know I have to play more Bosies.

Finally, the Grotrian 52" upright. A big surprise. For me, in tone and action this piano could easily hold its own against many grands. It challenges the belief, often stated here, that the grand action by its nature has to be superior to the vertical action.

A visit to Pianoforte when you're in Chicago will reward you I think.

(ads 568) Hailun Pianos

piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2038332 - 02/24/13 08:42 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I have played that Grotrian 52" upright. I was quite surprised too. The action was comparable to most of the grands in the showroom. Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions. It is certainly the finest upright piano I have ever played in tone and responsiveness. If it isn't the finest in its class, it has very few competitors.

#2038342 - 02/24/13 09:09 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Numerian]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: Suffolk, England
Originally Posted By: Numerian
Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions.

Numerian, I haven't played a 52" Grotrian although we had a smaller model years ago that I liked.

Does the gravity problem you are referring to affect playing the note and/or repetition?

Edited by Withindale (02/25/13 01:00 AM)

#2038345 - 02/24/13 09:16 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
Entheo Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Loc: chicago, il
i second gutenberg's sentiments re: thomas and the store. they're moving to bigger & better digs too.

for thomas it's a labor of love. he also organizes lots of events, including the chicago amateur pianist guild (which i've participated in) and the following:

http://pianofortefoundation.org/

#2038352 - 02/24/13 09:57 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
PattyP Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Texas
Nice thread, gutenberg. smile

What you said about the Bosies, spot on. That's been pretty much my feeling about them since the first time I played one, and every one since. I'd pretty much ruled them off my short list of acoustics when the times comes because they are so much more piano than I will ever be a pianist, but now you make me re-think myself.

The best part about not having the dream acoustic yet is that the dream can get as big and grandiose as the imagination allows.

A tired dog is a good dog.

#2038719 - 02/24/13 10:40 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
RX2Bunny Offline

Loc: Chicago
Yes, Pianoforte is very reputable in chicago. I also really admire Thomas's passion to piano. I had visited their showroom and it's a gorgeous place. I heard and read from news that the piano business is struggling in general so I really wish them the best. I would definitely like to see them sticking around forever because they offer a very good selection of piano for different levels of players. I think they are also the only Feurich dealer in Midwest. I encourage everyone to stop by the piano store if they have a chance.

#2038876 - 02/25/13 07:02 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
BoseEric Offline
500 Post Club Member

Loc: Fairfield County, CT
Thomas has purchased a beautiful building just down Michigan Ave and will be moving there over the next year (substantial construction work to be done). So (knock on spruce) it appears that fine pianos will have a home in Chicago for the foreseeable future. And no better home then PianoForte!

#2038884 - 02/25/13 07:35 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Withindale]
Numerian Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Withindale
Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions.

Numerian, I haven't played a 52" Grotrian although we had a smaller model years ago that I liked.

Does the gravity problem you are referring to affect playing the note and/or repetition?

Yes. Controlling the tone, even down to pianissimo, and fast repetition, is easy to do on these Grotrian uprights. You don't need a grand for this purpose anymore if that's why you are thinking of upgrading. Mind you, I've only played this one instrument, but I've heard good things about Grotrian uprights from others. Also, you can achieve even better tonal control and repetition on high-end grands. The point, however, is that if are looking for something for a talented amateur where you want a grand-like action and you want to avoid fatigue, these uprights will be excellent choices.

#2038904 - 02/25/13 08:15 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Numerian]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yes. Controlling the tone, even down to pianissimo, and fast repetition, is easy to do on these Grotrian uprights. You don't need a grand for this purpose anymore if that's why you are thinking of upgrading.

Agreed, a well regulated good quality upright should play pianissimo and repeat well. I believe Grotrian use Renner actions.

#2038952 - 02/25/13 10:55 AM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
Steven Y. A. Offline

Loc: Toronto
Grotrian uprights use their own design and manufactured action. Renner vertical actions are used in Schimmel and August Forster.
these pianos have actions feel like average grand.

#2039280 - 02/25/13 08:41 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: gutenberg]
Rich Galassini Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Loc: Philadelphia/South Jersey
Thomas does a great job and enjoys a fine reputation in the industry.

Glad you found him and thanks for the report! smile
Dir. Line (215) 991-0834
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Get Cunningham Piano Email Updates

#2040301 - 02/27/13 05:05 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted By: Steven Y. A.
Grotrian uprights use their own design and manufactured action.

Are you absolutely sure, Steven?

See, for example: http://www.klavierbau-kalscheuer.de/grotrian-steinweg_klaviere.htm.

I would surprised if a manufacturer like Grotrian would find it worthwhile to design and manufacture its own actions unless it bought in most of the parts from a supplier like Renner.

#2040319 - 02/27/13 05:32 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Withindale]
Steven Y. A. Offline

I am not sure. You could be right.
Though I was very close buying a Federick Grotrian. I thought I read the same message twice. One from Pianobuyer and One from somwhere else. I could be wrong though.

nvm Pianobuyer didn't mention about vertical actions.
"Grotrian grands have beech rims, solid spruce soundboards, laminated beech pinblocks, Renner actions, and are single-strung."

I thought vogel vertical has Renner action too. The a british website says the otherway around.

#2040807 - 02/28/13 02:06 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Steven Y. A.]
Withindale Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Thanks, Steven. Renner or not, it's all down to the consistency of parts and regulation. I haven't followed all the threads but have you found your dream piano yet?

#2040810 - 02/28/13 02:18 PM Re: A piano adventure in Chicago [Re: Withindale]
Steven Y. A. Offline

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2034436/I%20paid%20deposit%20to%20the%20PLEYEL!.html#Post2034436

I paid deposit to a pleyel p124 (2007)
Checking with a technician (Steve Jackson) next week hopefully everything is good.

Moderator:  Ken Knapp, Piano World, Rickster 
What's Hot!!
HOW TO POST PICTURES on the Piano Forums
-------------------
Sharing is Caring!
About the Buttons
-------------------
Forums Rules & Help
-------------------
ADVERTISE
on Piano World

The world's most popular piano web site.
-------------------
PIANO BOOKS
Interesting books about the piano, pianists, piano history, biographies, memoirs and more!
(125ad) Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Sheet Music
(PW is an affiliate)
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Download & Print Sheet Music Instantly
sheet music search
sheet music search

sheet music search
(ad) HAILUN Pianos
Hailun Pianos - Click for More
(ad) Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restoration
Who's Online
77 registered (Akshay, Atrys, B.Petrovic, ando, 21 invisible), 1063 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
74250 Members
42 Forums
153598 Topics
2251174 Posts

Max Online: 15252 @ 03/21/10 11:39 PM
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Easter Themed Recordings - Kawai CA95
by wolferblade
04/20/14 04:55 AM
First recordings - Some music for Easter
by wolferblade
04/20/14 01:01 AM
Recorded a song on my workstation tonight
by Arizona Sage
04/20/14 12:04 AM
How to tune a piano.....
by Grandpianoman
04/19/14 11:46 PM
Need help with upgrading(?) Roland digital
by Pathbreaker
04/19/14 10:23 PM
(ads by Google)

Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World | Donate | Link to Us | Classifieds |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | Press Room |

copyright 1997 - 2014 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission