2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Every once in awhile I've had the opportunity to sample high end pianos in fun locations. A few years ago it was Steingraebers and the full line of C. Bechsteins in New Mexico.

A few days ago I was in Chicago and couldn't get home to Wichita because of winter storm Q. I spent several hours in the Fine Arts Building on S. Michigan Ave. Most of the time I spent at Pianoforte.

This little thread is about a few pianos there, but its also about the store. I don't have enough good words to say about Pianoforte or its proprietor, Thomas Zoells. What a wonderful place.

Ah the pianos. I have wanted to play Fazioli's for a long time. There was the 10'2". Angela Hewitt played this piano a few weeks earlier. I just pretended to play it. It is a high-revving, turbo-charged beast. I played one note and felt I played it wrong.

The 6', however, was for me very controllable, very even. I could rev it up and it challenged and rewarded me. Contrary to what some others have written it was quite musical to me, not clinical.

Then there was the Grotrian Charis, dark, moody. All the pianos I played were well regulated. Though the Grotrian was responsive it didn't suit me as well as some others, action-wise.

The Shigeru SK3 was very nice but was simply outgunned by the competition and the size of the competition. Of course it was cheaoer too.

And then there was the Bosendorfer 213. Used from 1991. For me, that was the piano for all seasons and all literature. It was the first Bosie that I've played and I think I'm hooked. I don't know if the 213 is representative of Bosendorfers given that the 214 came along, but now I know I have to play more Bosies.

Finally, the Grotrian 52" upright. A big surprise. For me, in tone and action this piano could easily hold its own against many grands. It challenges the belief, often stated here, that the grand action by its nature has to be superior to the vertical action.

A visit to Pianoforte when you're in Chicago will reward you I think.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I have played that Grotrian 52" upright. I was quite surprised too. The action was comparable to most of the grands in the showroom. Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions. It is certainly the finest upright piano I have ever played in tone and responsiveness. If it isn't the finest in its class, it has very few competitors.

Fazioli 228.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Numerian
Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions.

Numerian, I haven't played a 52" Grotrian although we had a smaller model years ago that I liked.

Does the gravity problem you are referring to affect playing the note and/or repetition?

Last edited by Withindale; 02/25/13 02:00 AM.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
i second gutenberg's sentiments re: thomas and the store. they're moving to bigger & better digs too.

for thomas it's a labor of love. he also organizes lots of events, including the chicago amateur pianist guild (which i've participated in) and the following:

http://pianofortefoundation.org/

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Nice thread, gutenberg. smile

What you said about the Bosies, spot on. That's been pretty much my feeling about them since the first time I played one, and every one since. I'd pretty much ruled them off my short list of acoustics when the times comes because they are so much more piano than I will ever be a pianist, but now you make me re-think myself.

The best part about not having the dream acoustic yet is that the dream can get as big and grandiose as the imagination allows.

Patty

A tired dog is a good dog.

Perzina GP-187
Kawai CP209

R
R
Yes, Pianoforte is very reputable in chicago. I also really admire Thomas's passion to piano. I had visited their showroom and it's a gorgeous place. I heard and read from news that the piano business is struggling in general so I really wish them the best. I would definitely like to see them sticking around forever because they offer a very good selection of piano for different levels of players. I think they are also the only Feurich dealer in Midwest. I encourage everyone to stop by the piano store if they have a chance.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thomas has purchased a beautiful building just down Michigan Ave and will be moving there over the next year (substantial construction work to be done). So (knock on spruce) it appears that fine pianos will have a home in Chicago for the foreseeable future. And no better home then PianoForte!

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Withindale
Somehow Grotrian has solved the gravity problem when it comes to upright actions.

Numerian, I haven't played a 52" Grotrian although we had a smaller model years ago that I liked.

Does the gravity problem you are referring to affect playing the note and/or repetition?

Yes. Controlling the tone, even down to pianissimo, and fast repetition, is easy to do on these Grotrian uprights. You don't need a grand for this purpose anymore if that's why you are thinking of upgrading. Mind you, I've only played this one instrument, but I've heard good things about Grotrian uprights from others. Also, you can achieve even better tonal control and repetition on high-end grands. The point, however, is that if are looking for something for a talented amateur where you want a grand-like action and you want to avoid fatigue, these uprights will be excellent choices.

Fazioli 228.
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Yes. Controlling the tone, even down to pianissimo, and fast repetition, is easy to do on these Grotrian uprights. You don't need a grand for this purpose anymore if that's why you are thinking of upgrading.

Agreed, a well regulated good quality upright should play pianissimo and repeat well. I believe Grotrian use Renner actions.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
S
Grotrian uprights use their own design and manufactured action. Renner vertical actions are used in Schimmel and August Forster.
these pianos have actions feel like average grand.

PLEYEL P124
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thomas does a great job and enjoys a fine reputation in the industry.

Glad you found him and thanks for the report! smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Steven Y. A.
Grotrian uprights use their own design and manufactured action.

Are you absolutely sure, Steven?

See, for example: http://www.klavierbau-kalscheuer.de/grotrian-steinweg_klaviere.htm.

I would surprised if a manufacturer like Grotrian would find it worthwhile to design and manufacture its own actions unless it bought in most of the parts from a supplier like Renner.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
S
I am not sure. You could be right.
Though I was very close buying a Federick Grotrian. I thought I read the same message twice. One from Pianobuyer and One from somwhere else. I could be wrong though.

nvm Pianobuyer didn't mention about vertical actions.
"Grotrian grands have beech rims, solid spruce soundboards, laminated beech pinblocks, Renner actions, and are single-strung."

I thought vogel vertical has Renner action too. The a british website says the otherway around.

PLEYEL P124
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Thanks, Steven. Renner or not, it's all down to the consistency of parts and regulation. I haven't followed all the threads but have you found your dream piano yet?

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
S
S
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2034436/I%20paid%20deposit%20to%20the%20PLEYEL!.html#Post2034436

I paid deposit to a pleyel p124 (2007)
Checking with a technician (Steve Jackson) next week hopefully everything is good.

PLEYEL P124

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission