2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
I am a new player planning to get my own piano. I saw the Privia series, but they tend to be a little expensive for me (being a high school student). I saw the CDP220 for roughly $350 (including pedal, bench, and cabinet stand) at Costco. Is it a good instrument to practice on? My Secondary School has an acoustic grand which I can also use (but only for a bit when I have spare time). I also like the features of the CDP (chord book, transpose, voices, etc.) but I just want to put my mind at rest and not waste money on something that won't last.

Thanks in advance.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Hi

I own the Casio CDP200 a close relative. I've had it for a year, and I find it adequate for my needs.

I barely use any of the extra features. Though the layer pleasantly surprised me the other day. I do keep dreaming of a new PX350 or a real piano. But I cannot hit the limits of this one yet (the 48 polyphony).

I find it does the job and I've played Bechstien grands, challons and PXs and been able to move to and from them with little difficulty.

The only thing that bothers me a little is the short decay compared to real pianos and the PX series. My CDP200 with the sustain on sounds a lot like a grand piano being played with the pedal up because the sustain is so short.

In contrast with the new PXs its about half the length.

I do wish it sounded a tad nicer though, but before I was exposed to those other pianos it sounded fine.

Though the SP3 pedal it comes with sucks.

O
O
Originally Posted by subtubalime
I am a new player planning to get my own piano. I saw the Privia series, but they tend to be a little expensive for me (being a high school student). I saw the CDP220 for roughly $350 (including pedal, bench, and cabinet stand) at Costco. Is it a good instrument to practice on? My Secondary School has an acoustic grand which I can also use (but only for a bit when I have spare time). I also like the features of the CDP (chord book, transpose, voices, etc.) but I just want to put my mind at rest and not waste money on something that won't last.

Thanks in advance.

If you'd prefer something newer, Sears has the PX-150 with the improved action and sound for $550. It may or may not include the stand, it's hard to tell.

D
D
Casio makes a good reliable product. For just the piano function the CDP220 might fit your needs, it will definitely last long after your skills improve and you're looking for an upgrade.

DAVID

S
OP Offline
S
I am currently in Canada, and cannot find the deal at Sears on their Canadian site. I did find the Casio Privia 735 for $600, including bench, cabinet, and the three pedals. I can find the Privia 150 for $600 for the keyboard only. While the 150 has better key action, I don't think I can spend that much. Is the extra $250 for either of those worth it for an almost complete beginner?

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Phone Tom Lee Music --

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/pianos.cfm?details=1&id=1&inv=163560

$600 for the PX-150.

It comes with a (very cheap) sustain pedal, which is all you need as a new player. You can buy an X-stand for $15:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/main/homekeyboards.cfm?details=1&id=127&inv=157649

Have fun!

. Charles

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
D
D
You might check Guitar Center, right now they have a 15% off coupon for purchases $299 and up

http://www.guitarcenter.com

Is spending more worth it? That's a personal decision however you probably will be happier with the PX-150 in the long run.

S
OP Offline
S
Do you think the CDP 220 is worth it for $350?

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by subtubalime
Do you think the CDP 220 is worth it for $350?

Yes, that is a very good deal. That is a good piano to begin on. It is not simply a toy.

You will want better later. All of us do. For now. This will serve you well in your beginning learning.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Yup, while we all want bigger and better, until you can out play it, then what you have now is suitable.

Its pretty robust what with my FFFF playing skills.

We have a bit of a rule for motorbiking our old club.

P
P
I bought the CDP220 to start on a year or so ago and I'm very pleased. I don't use a lot of the features, but it's nice to know they're there.

As an aside: I curdle with envy when I see the prices of digital pianos in the US. I'm in Australia. The CDP 220 for $350!!? I would have bitten the salesman's arm off for that! I paid $697 in a "20% off" sale and thought I got a bargain. The RRP was $1199. Australian dollars are slightly higher than the US dollar so it's even worse than it looks.

Oh, and ditto about the sustain pedal - not very good.

Kawai MP7, Roland JUNO DS-88

[Linked Image]
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Subtubalime,
The PX-150 is a tremendous improvement over the CDP 220. It has a much better action (more realistic piano feel and better response) and vastly better sounds. It's definitely worth the extra money. The question I would ask, is how committed are you to learning the piano. If you're not sure, then you're probably better off getting the CDP 220. That way if you quit, you won't be out as much money. On the other hand, if you're sure that you will stick with it (and you sound like you have a real desire to do so) then you should get the best piano that you can afford. Longer term, I think you will be MUCH happier with the PX150. It's just so much better all around.

Of course, it may simply be beyond your ability to afford. If that's the case, the CDP 220 is a perfectly usable choice. It's certainly better than not having any piano to practice on. So my advice would be, get the px150 if you can, but if that's not a possible choice get the deal on the CDP220 while you can.

Warm Regards

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
W
W
I agree. Very happy with my PX-150!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-150
Started Playing: November 2012
Completed Unit 6, Faber's Adult Piano Adventures Book 1

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission