2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
adak Offline OP
OP Offline
this is quite amazing, what will it take for a beginner like to me play like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUAFKMIZnXk&list=FLh8oQOD1201KZrIOb_b5qLw

Casio Privia PX-150

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
A tourist goes to NYC and decides to take in a show, so he orders tickets online. But, as he's wandering around, he gets a little lost. He stops by a street musician and asks, "Hey man, pardon me, but can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" The musician replies, without missing a beat, "Practice, man, practice."

smile

Nord Stage 2 HA88
Roland RD800
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A good teacher would also help... cool

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Adak, two things:

1. Without knowing anything about you, (your age, how long have you been playing the piano, do you have a teacher, do you play any other instruments, any other musical training, how much time do you have to practice, etc) your question is basically impossible to answer. Its like asking "How long is a piece of string?".

2. The video you posted is of Billy Taylor. I looked him up on Wiki, and here is an excerpt from the page about him:

He grew up in a musical family and learned to play different instruments as a child, including guitar, drums and saxophone. But he was most successful at the piano and took classical piano lessons with Henry Grant, the same teacher that had educated Duke Ellington a generation earlier.

Nevertheless, there is an answer to your question: Follow in Billy Taylor's footsteps and get a teacher, (if you don't have one already), and be prepared for much work.

But the work is worth it! Best wishes!

ps...note that Billy Taylor took Classical piano lessons to play Jazz, as did Duke Ellington.

He did not take a Pop music style course. A good Classical teacher can lay a very strong foundation necessary to play intense music. I am forever grateful that I had a very strong Classical piano teacher when I was young..

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Really, there's no short cut, no magic formula. It takes years, and how many years really depends on who you are. Anyone who feels they've "arrived" and reached their goal probably isn't looking to be professional. Nothing wrong with that, but the pros keep on learning and perfecting their craft, because there's always the next hurdle to overcome.

Getting a teacher - a good one - is a great start.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for weighing in Morodiene.
I always like it when the teachers come over here.
(so I don't feel so bad about barging in over there).

Learner
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
To the good thoughts above I will add ...

Try not to get impatient.

It may take you much longer than you anticipate.

All you can do is do the things that will eventualy get you there and enjoy the music you are playing as you learn.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
M
M
Originally Posted by malkin
Thanks for weighing in Morodiene.
I always like it when the teachers come over here.
(so I don't feel so bad about barging in over there).

Anything to ease your conscience. :P

Originally Posted by dmd
To the good thoughts above I will add ...

Try not to get impatient.

It may take you much longer than you anticipate.

All you can do is do the things that will eventualy get you there and enjoy the music you are playing as you learn.

+1. Enjoy the process along the way. It's great to have aspirations and goals, but understand that piano is a VERY difficult instrument to play. It looks simple, you just hit a key - anyone can do it. And yes, while anyone *can* do it, not everyone does usually because they get in their own way.

Setting unreasonable goals or time limits on yourself is a recipe for failure in this endeavor. I'm not saying don't aim high (like I want to play at the level of this guy), what I am saying is be smart about it. Know that this will take years. There will be only so many hours in a day you will actually be productive, even if you sit at the piano for 8 hours. At some point, you need to sleep to reinforce what was learned that day, so we are all limited by this.

If you think about it, how many years did it take for Billy Taylor to get to the point he was at in the video? How many years of lessons with various teachers, how much time studying the craft, how much time performing to perfect what was learned in the studio? I'm not saying this to put you down or discourage you, but I hope that you will keep the goal of wanting to play like that tempered with being able to enjoy where you are now while taking the steps necessarily to get there.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission