2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
So if everything works out, we're hoping to acquire a grand piano before the end of the week. We can't decide what the best position for it in our living room would be, both aesthetically and acoustically. Ideally, we would be able to have the movers put the piano in and then just move it around until we find where it sounds and looks the best, but how hard would this be? Our floor is hardwood but we'll most likely have caster cups since it dents pretty easily. There is also the issue of getting a rug underneath the piano after it's placed.

Thanks for all advice!

J
J
its a very heavy instrument, lets put it that way..

Essex EUP-123S

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't see this as a big problem, if you have at least three people with strong backs to help shift the piano to another position. I would not recommend rolling it on the casters with full weight of the piano bearing down, unless you have someone at each leg to help lift up somewhat to take some weight off the legs.

Hope this helps...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
How big is the piano? Picking up an S&S-D is not a DIY project.

I agree with Rick, with the caveat of anything under 6', that three strong dudes, or dudettes, can move a small to medium grand. Just take is slow and don't try to heft it in a single move.

Remember the beer and pizza!

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When you arrange for delivery maybe
ask about extra time for the piano
movers to stay while you find your
sweet spot. Don't forget to tip for
a job well done! smile

C
OP Offline
C
The piano is 5'10". I guess my question was whether my husband and I could manage without having to invite any burly friends over - sounds like the answer is, "don't count on it"!

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Invite the burly ones so you don't scratch your floor. You need to lift, rather than roll. It's a three person job.

Plinky has a good idea. When there is a hard floor, movers usually slide the piano placed on folded packing blankets under the casters. When in a good position, the piano will be lifted, leg by leg, to set it on the floor.

Marty in Minnesota

It's much easier to bash a Steinway than it is to play one.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It can be a hassle to move a piano around on a sensitive floor. I have done it often enough, so I know a little about it....
You might want to make a paper or cardboard cut-out of the the piano - 5'10" x 4'8" or so. Lay it down on the floor and move it around until you find a good target spot for the piano move-in. Remember to leave your self close to 3 feet (of "length" added to the piano) for the bench.

JG
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
My wife and I have moved our 7' 4" grand piano quite a few times over the years. It just takes some common sense and due care. We are decidedly NOT burly in any way. We're just careful.

It was never a big deal and us and the piano are still just fine.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
For small moves, within one room, two fairly strong people can move a grand piano. The technique is to lift two legs at a time just enough to get the load off, and rotate around the third. Protect the floor with old blankets or thick rags. The strongest person lifts one leg at a time while the other puts the cloth under the caster cup. Then go ahead with the two up and turn technique.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B
BDB Offline
B
The most important warning I can give you about a short move of a grand piano is to make sure that the legs are on tight before you do anything else.

Semipro Tech
M
M
When the movers come, have some thick cardboard boxes flattened out over the areas where you may want the piano positioned. Have them set up on this area and then if you want to adjust it they can roll it around (have extra flattened boxes handy to place if you end up wanting to move to a totally different area). Once you get it in the place you want, tear up the cardboard boxes or cut with scissors and then have them remove the portion under each wheel as they stick the caster cups underneath. The cardboard should be sufficient to protect your floors from the rolling.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N
The Weight Formula for Grands is 10 pounds per inch. So you said it's 5 ft 10 so that is 70 inches 70 x 10 or 700 pounds is pretty accurate.

Getting a rug under is pretty easy.. Take the rug and fold it up so it is slid under the direct center ( looking at the piano profile) then lift the Light end at the nose pull that half of rug under that leg and do the same thing at the other end.

A little extra caution is that some older grands have wobbley legs ( older people too) so you will want your strongest person at that leg and before you even start make sure you have a jack just in case. A jack is 4 pieces of wood nailed together in a box about 27 inches tall... so if you lift it and a leg comes off you can quickly throw a jack under there.

Think everything out before you move it. Get your guys or gals, don't make quick movements that can snap a leg off and your leg muscles will be stronger so you can get a pad, put it between your leg and the piano and use that to lift it as well.

Tighten all leg bolts/screws before moving. Remember to think of height if using a rug and caster cups. It may be too high as in Lyre pedals after rugs and cups.

Just my two cents worth.

J Christie
Nashville Piano Rescue
Since 1918
Nashville, Murfreesboro
TN

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission